Bill Henson to be charged with "child porn" offences

Seen something interesting in the news or on the intertubes? Discuss it here.

Moderators: Zamfir, Hawknc, Moderators General, Prelates

User avatar
pollywog
Let's party like it's my postcount
Posts: 1999
Joined: Sat May 12, 2007 10:10 am UTC
Location: Coolest little capital in the world
Contact:

Re: Bill Henson to be charged with "child porn" offences

Postby pollywog » Wed Jul 09, 2008 10:38 am UTC

Fuck it. I can't reply to your post without sounding like a dick. I will try to reply tomorrow, when I've slept on this.

But until then, consider this. The gender of the instigators does not matter. There is not some huge feminist conspiracy out there trying to brand all men as paedophiles and rapists. random_kitty'a debating technique has nothing to do with her being a woman. There is nothing going on with Quixotess. Just because she's a feminist doesn't mean her points are invalid.

If i have misunderstood you, I am so sorry. But I was just getting bad vibes from your post.

Welcome to the fora!
suffer-cait wrote:hey, guys?
i'm fucking magic

User avatar
Quixotess
No. Cookies.
Posts: 3243
Joined: Mon May 28, 2007 7:26 am UTC
Contact:

Re: Bill Henson to be charged with "child porn" offences

Postby Quixotess » Wed Jul 09, 2008 10:51 am UTC

Wait, what? I'm a member of a conspiracy theory designed to infiltrate this forum with my feminist paranoia? Seems pretty redundant given that we already have, like, Belial. *is amused*

Really, though, what's so sinister about womanhood? You keep saying "female" like it's a mark against us.
Raise up the torch and light the way.

User avatar
random_kitty
Posts: 134
Joined: Wed Jun 25, 2008 10:02 am UTC

Re: Bill Henson to be charged with "child porn" offences

Postby random_kitty » Wed Jul 09, 2008 10:58 am UTC

Curious post Drew_E

I have a point of view on this topic which I debated with others who had different points of view. Because this was not a controlled debate I did not specifically respond to each and every point other people directed against my perspective - but neither were every point I raise acknowledged and countered - that is part of the nature of a message board.

As mentioned on these fora in a different context - not everyone sees gender as a significant way of defining or grouping people. The correlation you have noted is indeed curious - but could there be confounding factors?

My interest in this topic came from watching a report on TV - then spotting this thread shortly afterwards. I was bored so it seemed like a topic I could get some posting mileage out of - for my own and hopefully others interest. I am glad I did because many of the great points to counter my perspective may not have been made if this thread focused on people agreeing with each other :wink: or maybe they would have.

Welcome to the fora, I hope to see you around.
"Love is an ugly business my friend - yet we live for it" Se04Ep02 Boston Legal

@trophy wrote:"Confidence" is just waiting to experience negative outcomes in real life instead of rehearsing them in your head beforehand.

User avatar
Dream
WINNING
Posts: 4338
Joined: Tue Dec 04, 2007 7:20 pm UTC
Location: The Hollow Scene Epic

Re: Bill Henson to be charged with "child porn" offences

Postby Dream » Sun Jul 13, 2008 4:31 am UTC

Drew_E wrote:Anyone notice how all the instigators on this are female?

No, I didn't notice. Probably because the initial scandal was manufactured by a male radio host who needed a controversial subject for his show. Probably also because the Prime Minister gave some of the most divisive, inflammatory input into the debate, and he's male too. And because this was front page news for two weeks, in the male dominated news publishing industry.
I knew a woman once, but she died soon after.

User avatar
hyperion
"I'll show ye...."
Posts: 1569
Joined: Wed Nov 29, 2006 2:16 pm UTC
Location: Perth

Re: Bill Henson to be charged with "child porn" offences

Postby hyperion » Sun Jul 13, 2008 4:47 am UTC

Dream wrote:male dominated news publishing industry.

That's just what they want you to believe
Peshmerga wrote:A blow job would probably get you a LOT of cheeseburgers.
But I digress.

User avatar
jestingrabbit
Factoids are just Datas that haven't grown up yet
Posts: 5967
Joined: Tue Nov 28, 2006 9:50 pm UTC
Location: Sydney

Re: Bill Henson to be charged with "child porn" offences

Postby jestingrabbit » Sun Jul 13, 2008 9:05 am UTC

Drew_E wrote:Society must take a very hard look at how these issues played out and closely examine the protagonists of the debate, people (seemingly predominantly women) who at least in the case of one anecdote about another woman here- have pure uncontrolled rage as a reaction to a media story.

i don't see uncontrolled rage on the part of random_kitty or quixotess. I find it interesting that you want to dismiss the voices of women for being too emotional and you must take a very hard look at how that process arises within yourself.

I'm a man, I disagree with the arguments put by random_kitty, but I don't dismiss them as memetic fragments. I think the only argument that could hold water is the "disrupts a paedophiles rehabilition" one, and frankly, you walk around outside or at the supermarket, you see kids. These images wouldn't make it appreciably harder imo.
ameretrifle wrote:Magic space feudalism is therefore a viable idea.

Drew_E
Posts: 6
Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2008 5:37 am UTC

Re: Bill Henson to be charged with "child porn" offences

Postby Drew_E » Wed Oct 29, 2008 11:53 am UTC

Well guess what. The NSW government has stripped a long-standing legal defence amd doubled the sentence for possession of a few images to 10 years imprisonment, more than you would get if you plotted to overthrow the government and incited violence against your political representatives, despite the artist being in practice for 25 years, among others. Or more than you would get for lesser murder, grievous assault or raping an actual person LOL

Dream wrote:
Drew_E wrote:Anyone notice how all the instigators on this are female?

No, I didn't notice. Probably because the initial scandal was manufactured by a male radio host who needed a controversial subject for his show. Probably also because the Prime Minister gave some of the most divisive, inflammatory input into the debate, and he's male too. And because this was front page news for two weeks, in the male dominated news publishing industry.


Actually you are being extremely disingenuous. I know the facts of precisely how this was manufactured by the organisation of Hetty Johnson, an activist who had the emails of several contacts in the media and the commissioner of the police (she sensationalised to the commissioner, basically decieving him). In the media it was broken by an opinion writer who is female and known for these actions. Congratulations for knowing nothing and presuming to talk back to me about it by defending the 'women' who need your 'protection' in this forum (yes you took sides in a kneejerk manner which was noted)

Quixotess wrote:Wait, what? I'm a member of a conspiracy theory designed to infiltrate this forum with my feminist paranoia? Seems pretty redundant given that we already have, like, Belial. *is amused*

Really, though, what's so sinister about womanhood? You keep saying "female" like it's a mark against us.


Yes if you make up a ridiculous strawman it will sound silly. Nevertheless you asked for something... Point me to a male equivalent organisation with such persistence and influence. Believe it or not, there are many such organisations that speak for "women" according to their own descriptions http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Woman%27s_ ... ance_Union

User avatar
22/7
I'm pretty sure I have "The Slavery In My Asshole" on DVD.
Posts: 6475
Joined: Fri Jul 06, 2007 3:30 pm UTC
Location: 127.0.0.1

Re: Bill Henson to be charged with "child porn" offences

Postby 22/7 » Wed Oct 29, 2008 7:08 pm UTC

Drew, do you have proof that what Dream said about the origins of this is incorrect? Can you show us evidence that the story originated with who you said it did rather than who Dream said it did?
Totally not a hypothetical...

Steroid wrote:
bigglesworth wrote:If your economic reality is a choice, then why are you not as rich as Bill Gates?
Don't want to be.
I want to be!

User avatar
phlip
Restorer of Worlds
Posts: 7554
Joined: Sat Sep 23, 2006 3:56 am UTC
Location: Australia
Contact:

Re: Bill Henson to be charged with "child porn" offences

Postby phlip » Wed Oct 29, 2008 10:45 pm UTC

Drew_E wrote:The NSW government has stripped a long-standing legal defence [...]

Does anyone actually know what defense was stripped? All the news reports I've heard just use vague and useless wording, and not actually say what the ex-defense is...

Code: Select all

enum ಠ_ಠ {°□°╰=1, °Д°╰, ಠ益ಠ╰};
void ┻━┻︵​╰(ಠ_ಠ ⚠) {exit((int)⚠);}
[he/him/his]

User avatar
Dream
WINNING
Posts: 4338
Joined: Tue Dec 04, 2007 7:20 pm UTC
Location: The Hollow Scene Epic

Re: Bill Henson to be charged with "child porn" offences

Postby Dream » Thu Oct 30, 2008 4:21 am UTC

Drew_E wrote: Congratulations for knowing nothing and presuming to talk back to me about it by defending the 'women' who need your 'protection' in this forum (yes you took sides in a kneejerk manner which was noted)


There's just too much ignorance in this sentence to deal with in a single post. You think I "defend" the "women" around here? You think they need defending? By a guy? Wow. And, I'm glad it was "noted". Now I don't have to care about you or your opinions at all.
I knew a woman once, but she died soon after.

User avatar
Jesse
Vocal Terrorist
Posts: 8635
Joined: Mon Jul 03, 2006 6:33 pm UTC
Location: Basingstoke, England.
Contact:

Re: Bill Henson to be charged with "child porn" offences

Postby Jesse » Thu Oct 30, 2008 10:40 am UTC

Drew_E, stop being a prick. Your responses are consistently inflammatory and that is not taken kindly when I'm watching. Make your point civilly or don't make it at all.

Drew_E
Posts: 6
Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2008 5:37 am UTC

Re: Bill Henson to be charged with "child porn" offences

Postby Drew_E » Thu Oct 30, 2008 2:36 pm UTC

Could you post which remarks are "consistently inflammatory" in the posts here? Thanks.

Drew_E, stop being a prick.


Hypocrite.

User avatar
22/7
I'm pretty sure I have "The Slavery In My Asshole" on DVD.
Posts: 6475
Joined: Fri Jul 06, 2007 3:30 pm UTC
Location: 127.0.0.1

Re: Bill Henson to be charged with "child porn" offences

Postby 22/7 » Thu Oct 30, 2008 3:15 pm UTC

Ah, well played, force their hand.
Totally not a hypothetical...

Steroid wrote:
bigglesworth wrote:If your economic reality is a choice, then why are you not as rich as Bill Gates?
Don't want to be.
I want to be!

Princess Marzipan
Posts: 7717
Joined: Sun May 27, 2007 5:28 am UTC
Location: neither a road, nor an island

Re: Bill Henson to be charged with "child porn" offences

Postby Princess Marzipan » Thu Oct 30, 2008 7:32 pm UTC

Drew_E wrote:I know the facts of (the polite thing to do is share those facts, not gloat about knowing them) precisely how this was manufactured by the organisation of Hetty Johnson, an activist who had the emails of several contacts in the media and the commissioner of the police (she sensationalised to the commissioner, basically decieving him). In the media it was broken by an opinion writer who is female and known for these actions. Congratulations for knowing nothing (this is clearly being a dick) and presuming to talk back to me about it by defending the 'women' who need your 'protection' in this forum (more being a dick, especially since you are now telling him what his motivation for posting is) (yes you took sides in a kneejerk manner which was noted)
"It's Saturday night. I've got no date, a two-liter of Shasta, and my all-Rush mixtape. Let's rock!"
"I am just about to be brilliant!"
General_Norris, on feminism, wrote:If you lose your six Pokémon, you lost.

User avatar
Jesse
Vocal Terrorist
Posts: 8635
Joined: Mon Jul 03, 2006 6:33 pm UTC
Location: Basingstoke, England.
Contact:

Re: Bill Henson to be charged with "child porn" offences

Postby Jesse » Thu Oct 30, 2008 11:34 pm UTC

What he said.

I'm well aware I'm a prick, but I also have an orange name. So, y'know, tough.


Return to “News & Articles”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Grop, sardia and 12 guests