Rachel Ray's bad fashion sense linked to terrorism

Seen something interesting in the news or on the intertubes? Discuss it here.

Moderators: Zamfir, Hawknc, Moderators General, Prelates

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
As the Arbiter of Everything, Everything Sucks

Rachel Ray's bad fashion sense linked to terrorism

Postby (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ » Fri May 30, 2008 12:00 am UTC

I love it when something this stupid happens. It's a paisley scarf.
Dunkin' Donuts pulls Rachael Ray ad
The coffee and donut chain says it yanked online spot to avoid 'misperception'; professor says links to extremism are narrow-minded and even racist.
http://money.cnn.com/2008/05/29/news/co ... tm?cnn=yes

This part's my favorite:
Conservative commentator Michelle Malkin complained that the scarf wrapped around her looked like a kaffiyeh, the traditional Arab headdress. ''The kaffiyeh, for the clueless, is the traditional scarf of Arab men that has come to symbolize murderous Palestinian jihad,'' Malkin wrote in her syndicated column.

She's calling terrorist sympathies on Dunkin' friggin' Donuts, and nobody notices that she's equating being an Arab male with being a terrorist.
Heyyy baby wanna kill all humans?

une see
Is my girl

Re: Rachel Ray's bad fashion sense linked to terrorism

Postby une see » Fri May 30, 2008 12:19 am UTC

I hate people sometimes. I hate them so very much.
T.S. Eliot in "The Waste Land" wrote:APRIL is the cruellest month, breeding
Lilacs out of the dead land, mixing
Memory and desire, stirring
Dull roots with spring rain.

Luthen

Postby Luthen » Fri May 30, 2008 2:38 am UTC

That's unbelievable.

And stupid. The stereotypical Arab headdress is red (mine is) and worn on the head.

And doubly stupid. According to a well educated Arab I've met, the headdress is merely functional. The only symbolism it gets is sometimes giving people an idea where you're from. Saying it's come to "symbolize murderous Palestinian jihad" is like saying that blue denim jeans "symbolize murderous American War on Terror"
My fancy new blog Image I am not a vampire! Image PM my location for a prize!*

rnew: ALL GLORY TO THE HYPNOAVATAR!
*Terms + conditions changeable

Vaniver

Postby Vaniver » Fri May 30, 2008 2:44 am UTC

This was the best I could find for contacting Dunkin Donuts. Sending them a "I am more offended by you pulling the Paisley scarf ad than you running it, please continue using it" email is probably the best way to respond to this situation. It's not like they troll forums.
I mostly post over at LessWrong now.

Avatar from My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic, owned by Hasbro.

Sartorius

Postby Sartorius » Fri May 30, 2008 3:20 am UTC

This is actually rather out of character for me, but I actually did send a comment to Dunkin' Donuts via Vaniver's link, because that lady's reaction is so incredibly stupid.
"Give a man a fire and he's warm for the day. But set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life." -Terry Pratchett

Kizyr

Postby Kizyr » Fri May 30, 2008 3:28 am UTC

I wonder how long until they stop talking about using "Arabica" beans for their coffee? I mean, being Arab is offensive to some people.

Apparently.

This is actually rather out of character for me, but I actually did send a comment to Dunkin' Donuts via Vaniver's link, because that lady's reaction is so incredibly stupid.

Well, it is Malkin we're talking about. Expecting her to say something that isn't insipid is like expecting her to stop breathing. KF
~Kizyr

Luthen

Postby Luthen » Fri May 30, 2008 4:19 am UTC

We can hope.

Dream
WINNING

Postby Dream » Fri May 30, 2008 4:21 am UTC

Meaux_Pas wrote:This part's my favorite:
Conservative commentator Michelle Malkin complained that the scarf wrapped around her looked like a kaffiyeh, the traditional Arab headdress. ''The kaffiyeh, for the clueless, is the traditional scarf of Arab men that has come to symbolize murderous Palestinian jihad,'' Malkin wrote in her syndicated column.

My favourite part bolded, because you don't see irony like that every day.
I knew a woman once, but she died soon after.

4=5

Postby 4=5 » Fri May 30, 2008 4:38 am UTC

you're right, that is the most truthful wording

a386

Postby a386 » Fri May 30, 2008 4:41 am UTC

it's incredible how easily and wholly dunkin' donuts was swayed by this sort of racist reaction. the reaction itself, while awful, really didn't surprise me because i guess i'm desensitized to people with big, glaring prejudices but whatever, living in the world will do that to a guy. anyway, what really got me was how dunkin' donuts up and pulled the ad, then APOLOGIZED because maybe this scarf looked kind of like a headdress that people somewhere else wear sometimes (if you put it on your neck and it was an uncommon color for those) and that some people from there sometimes are terrorists. that sort of .. terrified, appeasing, deer-in-the-headlights look on the company's face, just because someone somewhere said "terrorism" and mentioned Islam or the middle east, it's some red scare shit and it surprised me.

oh count me in for the letter thing too by the way if you're playing along at home.

Masuri

Postby Masuri » Fri May 30, 2008 4:42 am UTC

I knew that paisley was a crime against fashion, but I never knew that if you wore it, the terrorists win.

I thought this was something from The Onion at first, honestly. But it is somehow... real. Don't people have anything better to do? (...she says as she posts on a message board)

Luthen

Postby Luthen » Fri May 30, 2008 4:49 am UTC

4=5 wrote:you're right, that is the most truthful wording

Little unfair. Wikipedia lists shmagh, shemagh, yashmag, ghutra, hatta and mashada as other names for it.

I've been brought up to call them ghutras, so I didn't know what keffiyeh meant without the explanation.

EDIT: ninja'd

BoomFrog

Postby BoomFrog » Fri May 30, 2008 7:25 am UTC

Meaux_Pas wrote:She's calling terrorist sympathies on Dunkin' friggin' Donuts, and nobody notices that she's equating being an Arab male with being a terrorist.

[quote=the article]While some extremists and terrorists may wear kaffiyehs, "To reduce their meaning to support for terrorism has a tacit racist tone to it," Bishara said.[/quote]

Actually the article also quoted someone who pointed that out. The guy who wrote the initial article complaining about the ad probably knows that his complaint is ridiculous, but it did work. He got attention, and the type of people who read his article like his more for it. Corporations back down incredibly fast to the whiff of bad PR.
"Everything I need to know about parenting I learned from cooking. Don't be afraid to experiment, and eat your mistakes." - Cronos

EsotericWombat
Colorful Orator

Postby EsotericWombat » Fri May 30, 2008 9:19 am UTC

Dunkin Donuts is owned by Carlyle group. Best known for their near-top billing among corporate evildoers in Farenheit 9/11.

The extent to which I'm not surprised is palpable

ascendingPig

Postby ascendingPig » Fri May 30, 2008 3:02 pm UTC

Luthen wrote:And stupid. The stereotypical Arab headdress is red (mine is) and worn on the head.

Not really. There are different colors of keffiyeh. For instance, if I recall correctly, in the '90s Palestinians wore red to display support for the PLO and black for the PLF.
"Many facts can fill an empty head."
-- Karl Kraus

aetherson

Postby aetherson » Fri May 30, 2008 4:11 pm UTC

Yeah...I own both red and black. I've seen green, blue, and plain white as well. I also was raised to call it a ghutra. Again, same thing, different name.

I wear khaki pants. Terrorists and drug runners wear pants and sometimes, since para-military groups wear "tactical clothing", those pants are khaki colored. I am therefor, obviously, a terrorist. (i'm also an engineer so i'm doubly screwed)

Anyways. I'm sending them an email through the above mentioned link.
01001101 01100001 01100100 01100101 00100000 01011001 01101111 01110101 00100000 01001100 01101111 01101111 01101011 00100001

Mr. Beck
Commencing Countdown, Engines On

Postby Mr. Beck » Fri May 30, 2008 7:57 pm UTC

Piss in a trashcan...the racism, ignorance, and just plain stupidity of my country astounds me.

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Fri May 30, 2008 8:04 pm UTC

Is the terrorism link to a keffiyeh akin to a bandit wearing a handkerchief over their face?

I.e., not a link to terrorism any more then covering ones face is, or, handkerchiefs are used by manual laborers the world over to keep things from getting in your face, etc...?

Or is there a deeper meaning to the thing?
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

EsotericWombat
Colorful Orator

Postby EsotericWombat » Fri May 30, 2008 8:16 pm UTC

Basically the main points of this story are that Michelle Malkin is a racist bitch, and Dunkin Donuts feels somehow beholden to the lunatic fringe.

seladore

Postby seladore » Fri May 30, 2008 8:28 pm UTC

This actually depressed me quite a lot.
I read this just after finding out about the british university lecturer who was arrested and is now being deported for possession of 'terrorist materials', which he freely downloaded from the US government website for academic purposes.

I feel like we are living in the dark ages.

Vaniver

Postby Vaniver » Fri May 30, 2008 9:10 pm UTC

Mr. Beck wrote:Piss in a trashcan...the racism, ignorance, and just plain stupidity of my country astounds me.
This is one of the prices we pay for freedom.

And, if all you do is complain on the internet about it, to repeat a tired trope, you're not part of the solution. If the only people willing to make themselves heard on issues like this are the lunatic fringe, then they're the ones that will get what they want.

seladore wrote:I feel like we are living in the dark ages.
At least we have hygiene. But seriously, no- there's a big difference between over-zealous anti-terrorism policies and the sort of "you know, maybe we should get rid of everyone in the country who isn't like us" things that happened in the Dark Ages.
I mostly post over at LessWrong now.

Avatar from My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic, owned by Hasbro.

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Fri May 30, 2008 9:13 pm UTC

Um, not to play devils advocate, but I think freedom of speech is also allowed liberties that many are taking advantage of.

Many teachers for example in university settings hide behind said freedom to throw their ideologies at their student body.

Basically, (and this ties into the OP) an individuals right to freedom of speech should both protect from someone else claiming they were 'offended' and from those who would worry that 'inflammatory material' is illegal.
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

4=5

Postby 4=5 » Sat May 31, 2008 12:40 am UTC

Luthen wrote:
4=5 wrote:you're right, that is the most truthful wording

Little unfair. Wikipedia lists shmagh, shemagh, yashmag, ghutra, hatta and mashada as other names for it.

I've been brought up to call them ghutras, so I didn't know what keffiyeh meant without the explanation.

EDIT: ninja'd
the double meaning was that it literally meant that only clueless people believe head scarves represent terrorism.

Luthen

Postby Luthen » Sat May 31, 2008 12:57 am UTC

ascendingPig wrote:
Luthen wrote:And stupid. The stereotypical Arab headdress is red (mine is) and worn on the head.

Not really. There are different colors of keffiyeh. For instance, if I recall correctly, in the '90s Palestinians wore red to display support for the PLO and black for the PLF.

I meant that an under-informed person may believe that all ghutras should be red. My Dad has an Omani ghutra and it's multicolour (in fact quite pretty).

goblin_subway
Location: Kansas City, Kansas, USoA, Earth, Sol System, Milky Way Galaxy

Postby goblin_subway » Sat May 31, 2008 3:57 am UTC

No offense to everyone (myself included), I think the US news organisations and corporations are taking blagging, chat-rooms, and forums entirely too seriously. While they are the opinions of the people, you can't take one person's offense to mean that a legion of people will be offended. I sent an e-mail off to Dunkin asking them to reinstate the ad before i wrote this. This is..... dumb.
I am Jack's overused quote.
Oh, almost forgot. Fuck MENSA.

EsotericWombat
Colorful Orator

Postby EsotericWombat » Sat May 31, 2008 4:47 am UTC

Malkin isn't just a blogger. She's written three books, has a nationally syndicated column and makes frequent guest appearances on news networks. That said, she shouldn't have this kind of exposure in the first place because she's fucking ridiculous. Even the craziest bullshit that goes on here (well, most of it) doesn't touch her.

aleflamedyud
wants your cookies

Postby aleflamedyud » Sat May 31, 2008 7:15 pm UTC

This is JUST FUCKING BLOODY-STUPID AND WRONG.

OK, toning down the caps-lock...

Kafiyehs have always been worn by Arabs, it's just a part of their culture. There's nothing wrong with wearing a kafiyeh if you're an Arab. However, there was a fashion among leftists, hippies and other fools of Westerners wearing kafiyehs "in solidarity" with the Palestinian cause (usually wearing the specific kafiyeh of Hamas, the PLF, or the PLO).

Still:

1) That idiotic pseudo-fashion statement was "in" years ago. It's out of fashion now.
2) More importantly, the scarf Rachel Ray's wearing in that picture doesn't look like a kafiyeh. It looks like a normal American woman's scarf, complete with artsy little pattern.

So it's not like the political issues are even relevant, Malkin's just an idiotic bitch.
"With kindness comes naïveté. Courage becomes foolhardiness. And dedication has no reward. If you can't accept any of that, you are not fit to be a graduate student."

Mr. Beck
Commencing Countdown, Engines On

Postby Mr. Beck » Sat May 31, 2008 7:28 pm UTC

Vaniver wrote:
Mr. Beck wrote:Piss in a trashcan...the racism, ignorance, and just plain stupidity of my country astounds me.
This is one of the prices we pay for freedom.

And, if all you do is complain on the internet about it, to repeat a tired trope, you're not part of the solution. If the only people willing to make themselves heard on issues like this are the lunatic fringe, then they're the ones that will get what they want.

Freedom is the ability to wear whatever you want. Freedom is also the ability to say what you want, as well as to ignore what others are saying.

What makes you think that this is all I do for this country? I'm politically active despite the fact I can't even vote yet. The problem is that I don't have the lunacy to proclaim that there is absolutely no chance that I am fallible, and therefore I don't write with the passion and energy that really gets stuff done.

22/7
I'm pretty sure I have "The Slavery In My Asshole" on DVD.

Postby 22/7 » Sat May 31, 2008 9:20 pm UTC

Izawwlgood wrote:Um, not to play devils advocate, but I think freedom of speech is also allowed liberties that many are taking advantage of.

Many teachers for example in university settings hide behind said freedom to throw their ideologies at their student body.

Basically, (and this ties into the OP) an individuals right to freedom of speech should both protect from someone else claiming they were 'offended' and from those who would worry that 'inflammatory material' is illegal.

And those teachers should absolutely be allowed to do that. As should the teachers in private schools. They're not hiding behind free speech anymore than you and I are right now or anyone who writes for a newspaper or magazine.
Totally not a hypothetical...

Steroid wrote:
bigglesworth wrote:If your economic reality is a choice, then why are you not as rich as Bill Gates?
Don't want to be.
I want to be!

goblin_subway
Location: Kansas City, Kansas, USoA, Earth, Sol System, Milky Way Galaxy

Postby goblin_subway » Sun Jun 01, 2008 2:26 am UTC

Kafiyehs are also worn by Israelis and they are definitely an ally of the US. This whole business is dumb. It's a friggin scarf.
I am Jack's overused quote.
Oh, almost forgot. Fuck MENSA.

aleflamedyud
wants your cookies

Postby aleflamedyud » Sun Jun 01, 2008 6:09 pm UTC

*hem-hem*

IT WASN'T A FUCKING KEFIYEH!
"With kindness comes naïveté. Courage becomes foolhardiness. And dedication has no reward. If you can't accept any of that, you are not fit to be a graduate student."

ishikiri

Postby ishikiri » Mon Jun 02, 2008 12:26 pm UTC

aleflamedyud wrote:*hem-hem*

IT WASN'T A FUCKING KEFIYEH!

It is, and putting twat-locks on won't change that.

In the UK at least Kefiyahs (or which ever of the names you choose) were first adopted by emo-kids and scenes (the ones who listen to screamo and do the mental style of moshing) about 4 years ago who bought them in second-hand/thrift stores - the ones in my local city they have boxes of them.
They were then taken by high-street brands like Top-shop and Oasis as celebrities like Kate Moss strated wearing them. Thus they became main-stream fashion. Their popularity is dying over here, esp since were coming into summer, but they were a must-have acessory in the last 2-3 years..

They're nothing more than a big square of cotton with tassles and a pattern, apparantly, a paisley-ish pattern. As some-one pointed they're the middle east equivilent of wearing jeans.
clintonius wrote:The "thwak thwak thwak" in this movie makes me think they cranked up a powerpoint slideshow of angry pictures set to the soundtrack of a furious masturbator.

hermaj

Postby hermaj » Mon Jun 02, 2008 1:52 pm UTC

I hope this Malkin woman never comes to Sydney, she would have a fit. Every second girl is wearing those scarves at the moment. :P As ishikiri said, they are just another fashion accessory to the majority of people.

Garm

Postby Garm » Mon Jun 02, 2008 3:51 pm UTC

It was a paisley scarf. A crime against fashion perhaps but not an advocation of terrorism. Malkin is just a worthless demagogue who's managed to profit from the divides in our culture.
Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
- JFK

Irrational (?)

Postby 3.14159265... » Mon Jun 02, 2008 4:16 pm UTC

Meh

There really are more important things in the world.
"The best times in life are the ones when you can genuinely add a "Bwa" to your "ha""- Chris Hastings

Random832

Postby Random832 » Mon Jun 02, 2008 11:54 pm UTC

For the benefit of those who did not write them, or did not put in a real e-mail address, here is the response from Dunkin' Donuts:
Thank you for sharing your comments. We always appreciate hearing from our customers. The intent of the online ad featuring Rachael Ray wearing a paisley silk scarf was to promote iced coffee. Given the surprising and truly unfortunate interpretation of this ad from some of our consumers, we decided to pull the ad and replace it with another as it is no longer serving its intended purpose, which was to simply promote our iced coffee---nothing more, nothing less.

At Dunkin' Donuts, we value all of our customers and remain steadfastly committed to making your experiences with us both memorable and pleasant. Thank you, again, for making us aware of your concerns; it is appreciated

Sartorius

Postby Sartorius » Tue Jun 03, 2008 1:36 am UTC

Bah, that means my email didn't do anything. *sigh*
"Give a man a fire and he's warm for the day. But set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life." -Terry Pratchett

PatrickRsGhost

Postby PatrickRsGhost » Tue Jun 03, 2008 12:03 pm UTC

It fits...most of the DD's I've been into are run by Arabs, and they weren't the friendliest of people I've run into. Don't get me wrong: not all Arabs are unfriendly. I've met some that are, and know some that are. But the two or three DD's I went into, I always felt like I was unwanted there.

Which is why I prefer Krispy Kreme, or the doughnuts from the local Wal-Mart. There's also a locally-owned, small doughnut shop in a nearby town I intend to try one day.
PRG

An important message for you:

Princess Marzipan

Postby Princess Marzipan » Tue Jun 03, 2008 2:27 pm UTC

Except they didn't pull the ad because of any outrage among Arabs - some nutcase squinted really hard and during the resulting migraine thought a line connected two unrelated points, and she made a big deal out of nothing.

Whether pulling it in the first place was the right idea, it's certainly at this point the WRONG idea to put it back into play. I think their email response is actually worded pretty well in that DD stresses that the point of the ad was to PROMOTE ICED COFFEE. At this point, no one would even notice the coffee after the recent shitstorm, so reairing it would just cause more problems.
"It's Saturday night. I've got no date, a two-liter of Shasta, and my all-Rush mixtape. Let's rock!"
"I am just about to be brilliant!"
General_Norris, on feminism, wrote:If you lose your six Pokémon, you lost.

Random832

Postby Random832 » Tue Jun 03, 2008 2:46 pm UTC

Nougatrocity wrote:Except they didn't pull the ad because of any outrage among Arabs - some nutcase squinted really hard and during the resulting migraine thought a line connected two unrelated points, and she made a big deal out of nothing.

Whether pulling it in the first place was the right idea, it's certainly at this point the WRONG idea to put it back into play. I think their email response is actually worded pretty well in that DD stresses that the point of the ad was to PROMOTE ICED COFFEE. At this point, no one would even notice the coffee after the recent shitstorm, so reairing it would just cause more problems.

I prefer to buy donuts (and/or iced coffee) from shops that have principles.

Return to “News & Articles”