Makin' Diamonds

Seen something interesting in the news or on the intertubes? Discuss it here.

Moderators: Zamfir, Hawknc, Moderators General, Prelates

TheStranger

Makin' Diamonds

Postby TheStranger » Wed Aug 13, 2008 1:30 am UTC

So, custom artificial diamonds. Not bad for computing technology, and great as a building material.
"To bow before the pressure of the ignorant is weakness."
Azalin Rex, Wizard-King of Darkon

Freakish

Re: Makin' Diamonds

Postby Freakish » Wed Aug 13, 2008 2:25 am UTC

Great read. It's comforting to know that technology still has places to expand.
Freakish Inc. We completely understand the public’s concern about futuristic robots feeding on the human population

Decker

Postby Decker » Wed Aug 13, 2008 1:04 pm UTC

The largest diamond so far found in the universe is the size of a small planet and located 50 light-years away in the constellation Centaurus. Astronomers with the Harvard-Smithsonian Center for Astrophysics discovered the gigantic stone a few years ago, and they believe the 2,500-mile-wide diamond once served as the heart of a star. It's ten billion trillion trillion carats.

I thought this was really really cool. If we ever had the technology to get this thing we would likely never have to worry about diamonds again.
I was angry with my friend. I told my wrath. My wrath did end.
I was angry with my foe. I told it not. My wrath did grow.

Freakish

Postby Freakish » Wed Aug 13, 2008 4:47 pm UTC

I'm hoping for a diamond ring made entirely out of one diamond. Anyone know why they can only make a diamond x by x? What differences are there between making a small diamond and one twice the size?
Freakish Inc. We completely understand the public’s concern about futuristic robots feeding on the human population

Schmendreck

Postby Schmendreck » Wed Aug 13, 2008 6:36 pm UTC

Decker wrote:
The largest diamond so far found in the universe is the size of a small planet and located 50 light-years away in the constellation Centaurus. Astronomers with the Harvard-Smithsonian Center for Astrophysics discovered the gigantic stone a few years ago, and they believe the 2,500-mile-wide diamond once served as the heart of a star. It's ten billion trillion trillion carats.

I thought this was really really cool. If we ever had the technology to get this thing we would likely never have to worry about diamonds again.

I'd tap that for resources.

But seriously I say we tow it back to earth orbit and let it pretty up the night sky.
A critic is a person who creates nothing of their own and therefore feels entitled to judge others.
-Robert A. Heinlein

quartrmster007
Location: Atlanta, Georgia...but if "home is where the heart is", London. <3

Postby quartrmster007 » Wed Aug 13, 2008 6:58 pm UTC

I'm with ya on that. Mine it (cutting facets, naturally) so that it's down to the same mass as the moon, then kick the moon out of orbit around the earth. Who wants the moon when we could have a massive diamond?
SlightlyEvil wrote:
Heh, you just missed the forest and hit the tree head-on.

Jahoclave
sourmilk's moderator

Postby Jahoclave » Wed Aug 13, 2008 7:29 pm UTC

quartrmster007 wrote:I'm with ya on that. Mine it (cutting facets, naturally) so that it's down to the same mass as the moon, then kick the moon out of orbit around the earth. Who wants the moon when we could have a massive diamond?

Except when DeBeers sends us a bill for it. Bastards are probably already working out a way to say they own it. Though it'd bring an even more interesting perspective to Dark Side of the moon. Either way, it'd be a great start to pimp my planet.

Schmendreck wrote:
I'd tap that for resources.

But seriously I say we tow it back to earth orbit and let it pretty up the night sky.

You'd still require more vespane gas.

GhostWolfe
Broken wings and scattered feathers

Postby GhostWolfe » Wed Aug 13, 2008 10:54 pm UTC

quartrmster007 wrote:Who wants the moon when we could have a massive diamond?
Oh chief! You've made me the happiest girl in the world! [/Bender]

/angell
Linguistic Anarchist
Hawknc: ANGELL IS SERIOUS BUSINESS :-[
lesliesage: Animals dunked in crude oil: sad. Animals dunked in boiling oil: tasty.
Belial: I was in your mom's room all night committing to a series of extended military actions.

Amarantha

Postby Amarantha » Thu Aug 14, 2008 4:43 am UTC

Decker wrote:
The largest diamond so far found in the universe is the size of a small planet...

There's a mention of something similar in Clarke's Space Odyssey series:
Spoiler:
Due to the pressure of gravity, the centre of Jupiter turns out to be made of a single Earth-sized diamond, and when the planet becomes a star, enormous chunks of diamond are flung out from it, and humans retrieve them for various uses.

Maurog

Postby Maurog » Thu Aug 14, 2008 12:21 pm UTC

Man, all I can think of now is a stellar-size death ray. I'm not even sure what we might use it on, but we NEED to build it.

Even if it takes invention of light-fast travel and 100 more years to bring the diamond.
Slay the living! Raise the dead! Paint the sky in crimson red!

Decker

Postby Decker » Thu Aug 14, 2008 1:22 pm UTC

I just threw this way off topic. Lets get back to the making diamonds part.

I think that it's really cool that we can make our own diamonds now. I just hope they make it cheaper soon.
I was angry with my friend. I told my wrath. My wrath did end.
I was angry with my foe. I told it not. My wrath did grow.

bananarchy

Postby bananarchy » Thu Aug 14, 2008 5:59 pm UTC

Decker wrote:I just threw this way off topic. Lets get back to the making diamonds part.

I think that it's really cool that we can make our own diamonds now. I just hope they make it cheaper soon.

Yea, cheap diamond CVD is one of those engineering holy grails for a whole slew of reasons. Not only can you build bitching circuits out of it, you could coat gears with it and make a dry, virtually frictionless transmission that would go forever (diamond on diamond is very slippery if it's smooth) or you could coat a car with it and have a truly indestructible paint finish. The possibilities are endless.

4=5

Postby 4=5 » Thu Aug 14, 2008 6:26 pm UTC

diamond is cool but not indestructible, it chips and burns pretty easily.

Lt Greatsocks

Postby Lt Greatsocks » Fri Aug 15, 2008 5:21 am UTC

Does this mean that instead of solid gold toilets retarded rich people are gonna have solid diamond toilets? That'd be fucking sweet.

But yeah, if this takes off, those company execs are gonna start turning up dead.
Fuck you, I'm the Crowing.

Sockmonkey

Postby Sockmonkey » Fri Aug 15, 2008 7:33 pm UTC

IIRC The big diamond companies are trying to buy up a lot of the patents for this tech to eliminte any potential threat.

Willis888

Postby Willis888 » Mon Aug 18, 2008 6:07 am UTC

What I wouldn't give for a set of diamond drill bits/kitchen knives/razor blades/garden implements . . . this might just crash the entire the "sharp things that occasionally need to be replaced" economy.

bananarchy wrote:(diamond on diamond is very slippery if it's smooth)

So what you are saying is that rough diamond on diamond is hot?
/` \/ `\
\`<3`./
'.'~'.'
\/

Xeio
Friends, Faidites, Countrymen

Postby Xeio » Mon Oct 20, 2008 6:56 am UTC

Willis888 wrote:What I wouldn't give for a set of diamond drill bits/kitchen knives/razor blades/garden implements . . . this might just crash the entire the "sharp things that occasionally need to be replaced" economy.
Perhaps, though most of those companies would be replaced with diamond-based versions. And while diamonds are extremely hard and durable, I doubt that you'd ever have zero demand for new ones. I mean, the knife/razor sharpeners haven't run the knife/razor companies out of business, have they?

Cooley

Postby Cooley » Mon Oct 20, 2008 9:03 am UTC

If I recall correctly, diamonds are only expensive now because of hoarding from the diamond companies... artificial diamonds, while cool, aren't exactly necessary yet. Would artificial diamonds be cost effective if natural diamonds were priced normally?

TheStranger

Postby TheStranger » Mon Oct 20, 2008 10:50 am UTC

Cooley wrote:If I recall correctly, diamonds are only expensive now because of hoarding from the diamond companies... artificial diamonds, while cool, aren't exactly necessary yet. Would artificial diamonds be cost effective if natural diamonds were priced normally?

These ones would be, because their shape / composition can be carefully controlled, unlike natural diamonds (which can only be cut to fit)
"To bow before the pressure of the ignorant is weakness."
Azalin Rex, Wizard-King of Darkon

Xanthir
My HERO!!!

Postby Xanthir » Mon Oct 20, 2008 2:20 pm UTC

bananarchy wrote:
Decker wrote:I just threw this way off topic. Lets get back to the making diamonds part.

Yea, cheap diamond CVD is one of those engineering holy grails for a whole slew of reasons. Not only can you build bitching circuits out of it, you could coat gears with it and make a dry, virtually frictionless transmission that would go forever (diamond on diamond is very slippery if it's smooth) or you could coat a car with it and have a truly indestructible paint finish. The possibilities are endless.

As noted by someone a bit below your post, diamonds are NOT indestructible (killing machines). They are the hardest (?) natural substance on Earth, where "hardest" is a very technical term meaning "it can scratch anything it wants, and you can't do anything about it".

Just hitting a diamond with a hammer will crush it into powder, though. I forget what temperature they combust at, but it's relatively low as well. Diamond is super super useful for a variety of applications, but it's nowhere near the magic material many think it is. ^_^

(Any sort of crystal sword, frex, would shatter the moment it hit something.)
(defun fibs (n &optional (a 1) (b 1)) (take n (unfold '+ a b)))

Aikanaro

Postby Aikanaro » Mon Oct 20, 2008 2:22 pm UTC

Odd question on that topic, then....anyone know what the "strongest" type of crystal is, anyway? Would it still be diamond? I'm counting either natural or synthetic for this...
Dear xkcd,

On behalf of my religion, I'm sorry so many of us do dumb shit. Please forgive us.

Love, Aikanaro.

Gunfingers

Postby Gunfingers » Mon Oct 20, 2008 2:39 pm UTC

Xeio wrote:
Willis888 wrote:What I wouldn't give for a set of diamond drill bits/kitchen knives/razor blades/garden implements . . . this might just crash the entire the "sharp things that occasionally need to be replaced" economy.
Perhaps, though most of those companies would be replaced with diamond-based versions. And while diamonds are extremely hard and durable, I doubt that you'd ever have zero demand for new ones. I mean, the knife/razor sharpeners haven't run the knife/razor companies out of business, have they?

My dad has i diamond tipped saw for cutting cement*, and has had it since some time in the nineties, so i'm pretty sure it's already getting done and hasn't revolutionized the cutting industry.

*I almost spelled that with an "s". Freudian slip? I hope not.

Chfan

Postby Chfan » Mon Oct 20, 2008 7:22 pm UTC

Sounds cool. Hopefully this will be a great help to engineering and people with way too much money for many years to come.

P.S. I seriously want a solid diamond toilet. NOW.
Just FYI, the guy isn't avatar isn't me. But he seems pretty cool.

MartianInvader

Postby MartianInvader » Mon Oct 20, 2008 8:17 pm UTC

Cooley wrote:If I recall correctly, diamonds are only expensive now because of hoarding from the diamond companies... artificial diamonds, while cool, aren't exactly necessary yet. Would artificial diamonds be cost effective if natural diamonds were priced normally?

I think the point is the companies are driving up prices because they CAN - they have a monopoly on the world's diamond supply, and so they can hoard them. If anyone with some investment capital can set up a diamond factory, hoarding becomes impossible, and, presumably, diamonds get a lot cheaper.
Let's have a fervent argument, mostly over semantics, where we all claim the burden of proof is on the other side!

The Reaper

Postby The Reaper » Fri Oct 24, 2008 2:11 am UTC

Aikanaro wrote:Odd question on that topic, then....anyone know what the "strongest" type of crystal is, anyway? Would it still be diamond? I'm counting either natural or synthetic for this...

Well, since metals come in crystals, everyone knows that Dragonforce is the hardest metal known to man. o_O

lol.

I wonder if one could make a really really awesome TV screen out of it....

RealGrouchy
Nobody Misses Me As Much As Meaux.

Postby RealGrouchy » Sat Oct 25, 2008 5:09 am UTC

Freakish wrote:Great read. It's comforting to know that technology still has places to expand.
Intentional or not, it seems everyone missed this clever little bit.

Spoiler:
Expansion is not exactly what one would use in diamond-making technology.

- RG>
Jack Saladin wrote:etc., lock'd
Mighty Jalapeno wrote:At least he has the decency to REMOVE THE GAP BETWEEN HIS QUOTES....
Sungura wrote:I don't really miss him. At all. He was pretty grouchy.

Return to “News & Articles”