Tiger Woods: Now tih 20% more godlyness

Seen something interesting in the news or on the intertubes? Discuss it here.

Moderators: Zamfir, Hawknc, Moderators General, Prelates

Babam
the Nearly Deleted

Tiger Woods: Now tih 20% more godlyness

Postby Babam » Thu Aug 21, 2008 10:55 pm UTC

Spoiler:
crucialityfactor wrote:I KNEW he could club bitches!

SecondTalon wrote:Reality - More fucked up than Photoshop.

s/notwittysig/wittysig

Mighty Jalapeno
Inne Juste 7 Dayes I Wille Make You A Hero!

Re: Tiger Woods: Now tih 20% more godlyness

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Thu Aug 21, 2008 11:04 pm UTC

Ironically, that water trap got turned into wine, and three kids died of alcohol poisoning.

Intercept

Postby Intercept » Thu Aug 21, 2008 11:11 pm UTC

Michael Phelps can also walk on water, but doesn't feel the need.

Seriously though, is it that surprising? We've already seen him walking on the moon, he had to out do himself. Next, the sun.
"I've always supported pudding, even when it was politically unpopular to do so."-Bill Nye Video

Freakish

Postby Freakish » Fri Aug 22, 2008 1:21 am UTC

Pfft... Call me when he can moonwalk on water.
Freakish Inc. We completely understand the public’s concern about futuristic robots feeding on the human population

EsotericWombat
Colorful Orator

Postby EsotericWombat » Fri Aug 22, 2008 6:46 am UTC

It's a brilliant bit of viral marketing. And it'll be even better for EA if fundies get pissed about it.

On the other hand, I can't fucking stand that douche.

Lt Greatsocks

Postby Lt Greatsocks » Thu Aug 28, 2008 1:49 am UTC

EsotericWombat wrote:It's a brilliant bit of viral marketing. And it'll be even better for EA if fundies get pissed about it.

On the other hand, I can't fucking stand that douche.

Leave Tiger alone!
Fuck you, I'm the Crowing.

EsotericWombat
Colorful Orator

Postby EsotericWombat » Thu Aug 28, 2008 2:11 am UTC

I shall not.

He signed a 6 billion dollar contract with Nike at a time when they still had a sweatshop in his mother's home country.

He's a douche.

Roun

Postby Roun » Sat Aug 30, 2008 5:52 pm UTC

EsotericWombat wrote:I shall not.

He signed a 6 billion dollar contract with Nike at a time when they still had a sweatshop in his mother's home country.

He's a douche.

They could remove the sweatshop, and the people could not have jobs anymore, and go back to being hungry.

But that's a conversation for another thread, probably in SB.

roc314
Is dead, and you have killed him

Postby roc314 » Sat Aug 30, 2008 6:14 pm UTC

Roun wrote:They could remove the sweatshop, and the people could not have jobs anymore, and go back to being hungry.

Or they could pay a decent wage, and they would have jobs and still make a living wage. Or they could not hire children. There are multiple things that could be done.

Isn't it slightly unfair to make this statement? "I can state what I think, but if you respond you are off topic?"
Hippo: roc is the good little communist that lurks in us all
Richard Stallman: Geeks like to think that they can ignore politics, you can leave politics alone, but politics won't leave you alone.
suffer-cait: roc's a pretty cool dude

natraj

Postby natraj » Sat Aug 30, 2008 6:15 pm UTC

Roun wrote:
EsotericWombat wrote:I shall not.

He's a douche.

They could remove the sweatshop, and the people could not have jobs anymore, and go back to being hungry.

Um, or they could, you know, improve conditions in their factory so it isn't a sweatshop, and treat the people already working there decently and pay them proper wages.
You want to know the future, love? Then wait:
I'll answer your impatient questions. Still --
They'll call it chance, or luck, or call it Fate,
The cards and stars that tumble as they will.

pronouns: they or he

Roun

Postby Roun » Sat Aug 30, 2008 7:39 pm UTC

Or they could pay a decent wage, and they would have jobs and still make a living wage. Or they could not hire children. There are multiple things that could be done.

Sweatshops put in by western companies often pay a lot more than the surrounding jobs, which is why so many people work there. 50 cents an hour might seem like a slave retainer to the west, but it's a decent wage to those that live in horrible conditions. You would be hard pressed to find a sweatshop worker who wished the sweatshop was not there.

As to improved conditions, I sure everyone would like those; but, as horrible as it sounds, if it cost more to upkeep sweatshops, they would not exist, because the company would simply make a factory in America instead of going to another country. Cheaper labor is the only reason that the companies are exporting jobs and opening sweatshops.

As to hiring children, there was an article a while ago (I'll have to dig it up) about a new law that penalized companies that hired children for their sweatshops. The children that lost jobs were forced out onto the streets, and many went into prostitution.

There is this image that people have in their mind about sweatshops, where they are all force people to work there under horrible conditions, and when the workers are too tired to work they're whipped until they get back on their feet, and the doors are locked from the outside so the workers can't go home to their family, ever. (Hyperbole!)

In reality, sweatshops exist because people choose to work at them, and they choose to work at them because there aren't any better options. People could go on about improved conditions, but if Nike had to pay foreign workers as much as Americans and have the same work standards as America, then they would just open a factory in America, and the former sweatshop workers wouldn't have jobs at all, or be forced to pick something much worse.

It would be nice if every place on Earth jumped up to the West's standards of living and wages, right now, but it really just isn't feasible.

Isn't it slightly unfair to make this statement? "I can state what I think, but if you respond you are off topic?"

That isn't what I meant.

Oh well, I guess if the mods really cared, they would say something.

roc314
Is dead, and you have killed him

Postby roc314 » Sat Aug 30, 2008 7:50 pm UTC

Roun wrote:

Sweatshops put in by western companies often pay a lot more than the surrounding jobs, which is why so many people work there. 50 cents an hour might seem like a slave retainer to the west, but it's a decent wage to those that live in horrible conditions. You would be hard pressed to find a sweatshop worker who wished the sweatshop was not there.

In reality, sweatshops exist because people choose to work at them, and they choose to work at them because there aren't any better options. People could go on about improved conditions, but if Nike had to pay foreign workers as much as Americans and have the same work standards as America, then they would just open a factory in America, and the former sweatshop workers wouldn't have jobs at all, or be forced to pick something much worse.

It would be nice if every place on Earth jumped up to the West's standards of living and wages, right now, but it really just isn't feasible.

We're using different meanings of the phrase "decent wage". You took it as comparable in dollars per hour to jobs in the US. I used it as decent enough that you can survive without you, your spouse, and your children all working 12 hours a day and barely making enough to live. If you need to work more than 40-50 hours a week to support your family, you are not getting a decent wage. And if you need your children to work also... (by the way, not all of the children working in sweatshops are orphans)

And the cost for Nike to do this would still be less that what they would have to pay in America.
Hippo: roc is the good little communist that lurks in us all
Richard Stallman: Geeks like to think that they can ignore politics, you can leave politics alone, but politics won't leave you alone.
suffer-cait: roc's a pretty cool dude

Silas

Postby Silas » Sat Aug 30, 2008 8:12 pm UTC

You want a sweatshops discussion? Now there's a thread about it.

Funny video. Doesn't really make me want the game, though.
Felstaff wrote:Serves you goddamned right. I hope you're happy, Cake Ruiner

Cooley

Postby Cooley » Sun Aug 31, 2008 11:09 pm UTC

haha, I showed this video to my father (who loves sports of any kind, but especially curling), and he said he already knew about that.

He seemed genuinely surprised I hadn't seen it yet.

And I DO want the game.

Return to “News & Articles”