Cat survives being walled in under bath for 7 weeks

Seen something interesting in the news or on the intertubes? Discuss it here.

Moderators: Zamfir, Hawknc, Moderators General, Prelates

'; DROP DATABASE;--

Cat survives being walled in under bath for 7 weeks

Postby '; DROP DATABASE;-- » Wed Aug 27, 2008 12:34 am UTC

Pleasant news for a change. :P
BERLIN (Reuters) - A four-year-old cat in Germany called Bonny has survived after being walled in beneath a bathtub for seven weeks, its owner said Tuesday.

"It's a miracle," said Monika Hoppert, a 60-year-old widow from the western town of Stadthagen. "I'm a strong believer, I think she must have had a guardian angel. I'm so happy."

Bonny disappeared on June 19 while workmen were replacing pipes in the block of flats where Hoppert lives. The black cat was last seen in a neighboring apartment, where the cladding around a bathtub had been removed.

Just before tub was sealed up again, Bonny had probably crept underneath, Hoppert said.

By the time the neighbor heard Bonny's plaintive miaowing from behind the tiles on August 8, the cat's weight had dropped from 13 pounds to 4 pounds.

"I couldn't believe it. But when I got down there, I knew it was my friend Catherine because they all have their own voice," said Hoppert.

Bonny was so weak the vet recommended she be put down. But Hoppert nursed her back to health with watered down kitten food.

"She's almost back to normal now. This morning was the first time she'd jumped onto my bed again," Hoppert said.

(Reporting by Dave Graham; Editing by Giles Elgood)

I've had cases of cats who got lost somewhere in the neighborhood and wandered back a week or two later doing just fine, but never being trapped.
poxic wrote:You suck. And simultaneously rock. I think you've invented a new state of being.

Jahoclave
sourmilk's moderator

Re: Cat survives being walled in under bath for 7 weeks

Postby Jahoclave » Wed Aug 27, 2008 1:22 am UTC

The real question though, what potential food sources existed underneath the bathtub? You have the possibility of insects, mice, etc... So you potentially have things the cat could have eaten. However, I think people will just chalk it up to God and ignore a scientific investigation.

22/7
I'm pretty sure I have "The Slavery In My Asshole" on DVD.

Postby 22/7 » Wed Aug 27, 2008 1:29 am UTC

We had a similar situation with our cat getting trapped in our attic, though not for nearly this long. She was only up there for a few days, but we couldn't find her and didn't hear her crying or anything. Still don't know how she got up there.
Jahoclave wrote:The real question though, what potential food sources existed underneath the bathtub? You have the possibility of insects, mice, etc... So you potentially have things the cat could have eaten. However, I think people will just chalk it up to God and ignore a scientific investigation.
Well, I mean the fact that the cat lost like 70% of its bodyweight indicates that it wasn't eating very much.
Totally not a hypothetical...

Steroid wrote:
bigglesworth wrote:If your economic reality is a choice, then why are you not as rich as Bill Gates?
Don't want to be.
I want to be!

Jahoclave
sourmilk's moderator

Postby Jahoclave » Wed Aug 27, 2008 1:32 am UTC

22/7 wrote:We had a similar situation with our cat getting trapped in our attic, though not for nearly this long. She was only up there for a few days, but we couldn't find her and didn't hear her crying or anything. Still don't know how she got up there.
Jahoclave wrote:The real question though, what potential food sources existed underneath the bathtub? You have the possibility of insects, mice, etc... So you potentially have things the cat could have eaten. However, I think people will just chalk it up to God and ignore a scientific investigation.
Well, I mean the fact that the cat lost like 70% of its bodyweight indicates that it wasn't eating very much.

Ethiopians don't eat a whole lot either and still manage to live. What I'm getting at is that there was most likely a limited food source over the seven weeks that allowed the cat to stay alive.

22/7
I'm pretty sure I have "The Slavery In My Asshole" on DVD.

Postby 22/7 » Wed Aug 27, 2008 1:58 am UTC

I'm not necessarily disagreeing with you. I'm only saying that the cat obviously wasn't eating much.
Totally not a hypothetical...

Steroid wrote:
bigglesworth wrote:If your economic reality is a choice, then why are you not as rich as Bill Gates?
Don't want to be.
I want to be!

Gunfingers

Postby Gunfingers » Wed Aug 27, 2008 2:24 pm UTC

When i was trying to toilet train my cats i locked them in the bathroom. The bathroom had a hole in the drywall that i made while putting in new trim. One of the cats crawled into this hole and hung out in the wall, eventually finding her way out through a space in the drywall in the laundry room. She's done this a couple times and i was always afraid she'd end up trapped in the wall and i wouldn't be able to get her out.

sweet_concorde

Postby sweet_concorde » Wed Aug 27, 2008 6:16 pm UTC

We had an unfinished ceiling in one of the basement rooms, and Mr. Sparklepants (not his real name) got up there and proceeded to run around inside the ceiling of the basement. He, being a graceful feline, fell down into a wall. Nobody heard him meowing or trying to get out, but another one of our cats kept leading me down to the basement shower, where he would sit and stare at me. (He usually led me to places when he wanted something like food. I didn't know why he thought he wanted a shower.) When we figured out Mr. Sparklepants was missing, I put two and two together and my dad had to cut a big hole in the drywall to free Mr. Sparklepants.

Pirate.Bondage

Postby Pirate.Bondage » Wed Aug 27, 2008 6:39 pm UTC

Oh my god.

The worst my cats ever do is get stuck downstairs in the basement.
Life is beautiful.
Spoiler:
Irrefutable wrote:you are so lovely

emceng wrote:Then the sausage says, "I have 1 kid, and raging genital herpes." Get the fuck away from me sausage!!!

sje46 wrote:Do... do you want to marry me?

lorenith

Postby lorenith » Wed Aug 27, 2008 8:32 pm UTC

My one of my boyfriends old cats somehow got herself wedge into the silverware drawer once. He said he tried to open it and it was stuck, and the cat wiggled around a bit. He just left her there since the only way out is back the way she had come (over the back).

It'd be awesome if he coulda opened it, and had a cat jump out at him though.

Edit: weird spelling, that's what I get for posting while addle brained from walking all day in 95 degree weather.
Last edited by lorenith on Wed Aug 27, 2008 9:19 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Gunfingers

Postby Gunfingers » Wed Aug 27, 2008 8:40 pm UTC

I once came home to find one of my cats in a cupboard. The cupboard door was closed, but i'm pretty sure i didn't close the door on her. I can be kind of oblivious, but a cat in my cupboard seems over the top even for me.

CogDissident

Postby CogDissident » Wed Aug 27, 2008 8:50 pm UTC

sweet_concorde wrote:We had an unfinished ceiling in one of the basement rooms, and Mr. Sparklepants (not his real name) got up there and proceeded to run around inside the ceiling of the basement. He, being a graceful feline, fell down into a wall. Nobody heard him meowing or trying to get out, but another one of our cats kept leading me down to the basement shower, where he would sit and stare at me. (He usually led me to places when he wanted something like food. I didn't know why he thought he wanted a shower.) When we figured out Mr. Sparklepants was missing, I put two and two together and my dad had to cut a big hole in the drywall to free Mr. Sparklepants.

I like how you use a pseudonym for your cat. As if the other cats are going to read this and laugh at him.

pollywog
Let's party like it's my postcount

Postby pollywog » Wed Aug 27, 2008 8:54 pm UTC

sweet_concorde wrote:Mr. Sparklepants (not his real name)

Yes it is.
suffer-cait wrote:hey, guys?
i'm fucking magic

sweet_concorde

Postby sweet_concorde » Wed Aug 27, 2008 11:06 pm UTC

:lol:
lorenith wrote:My one of my boyfriends old cats somehow got herself wedge into the silverware drawer once. He said he tried to open it and it was stuck, and the cat wiggled around a bit. He just left her there since the only way out is back the way she had come (over the back).

Pirate.Bondage wrote:I once came home to find one of my cats in a cupboard. The cupboard door was closed, but i'm pretty sure i didn't close the door on her. I can be kind of oblivious, but a cat in my cupboard seems over the top even for me.

my friend Catherine (not Mr. Sparklepants (a fat white cat) or the rescue shower cat (fluffy black cat), imagine a different one - "Est.". (tabby cat) - don't just recycle the same image of a cat over and over again. Flex your imagination muscles!) will pop into any drawer, cupboard, or closet left open and unguarded long enough for him to sneak in. He used to hop into trashcans, until he got a plastic grocery bag around his neck (he ran around our apartment at full speed - but the crinkly monster from the trash was just as fast as he!) If I leave a dresser drawer open, I will come back and try to shut it - and Est. will be behind the drawer, inside the dresser. My brother's cat (Miss M.) will sleep in his drawer, buried in the socks. She has gotten shut into drawers before. Whoops.

Est. will get trapped in a room if the door is mostly shut (not latched, cracked open). He doesn't try to push the door open. He will stick his paw through the side. It looks very sad to see a cat leg sticking out from under or to the side of a door, when the door isn't even really shut. I have tried to train him to get out of cupboards by leaving a towel in the door (so it is cracked open about an inch) and leaving wet food on the floor outside. He only sits there, waiting to be rescued. What a damsel.

I suppose I am not making a great case for cats being intelligent creatures. :? I am just a crazy cat lady in a goofy mood.

Someone, quickly: put your cat in an unlatched cupboard and see if he can escape! Dog owners, do the same. Let's get this straightened out.

Mr. Sparklepants could open doorknobs (before he was the lazy, fat, wall-falling cat we know and love today). He would hang off the knob with his front paws/legs, and kick the sides of the doorframe to twist the knob. He tore up the insulation crap on the inside of the garage door doing this. Now he only opens doors with poor latches by pouncing on them with his weight.

pollywog wrote:
sweet_concorde wrote:Mr. Sparklepants (not his real name)

Yes it is.

:cry: Is not!

Lt Greatsocks

Postby Lt Greatsocks » Thu Aug 28, 2008 1:03 am UTC

That cat is one bad motherfucker. I'll bet cats survive better than roaches in the event of a nuclear apocalypse.
Fuck you, I'm the Crowing.

Jahoclave
sourmilk's moderator

Postby Jahoclave » Thu Aug 28, 2008 2:25 am UTC

Lt Greatsocks wrote:That cat is one bad motherfucker. I'll bet cats survive better than roaches in the event of a nuclear apocalypse.

I bet they become an entire race of people and the last of their race annoys a guy named Dave.

'; DROP DATABASE;--

Postby '; DROP DATABASE;-- » Fri Aug 29, 2008 2:57 am UTC

One of my cats can pull unlatched doors open, but he's so lazy he doesn't bother. He'll just sit there waiting for you to open it. He also sits in front of the ledge his food dish is on, waiting for someone to lift him up to it, when he's perfectly capable of jumping to it. :roll: (It can't be on the floor; the dogs would eat it.)
poxic wrote:You suck. And simultaneously rock. I think you've invented a new state of being.

psyck0

Postby psyck0 » Fri Aug 29, 2008 4:04 am UTC

Jahoclave wrote:
Lt Greatsocks wrote:That cat is one bad motherfucker. I'll bet cats survive better than roaches in the event of a nuclear apocalypse.

I bet they become an entire race of people and the last of their race annoys a guy named Dave.

YES!!!!

Return to “News & Articles”