Sudden deaths after arrest in Spain

Seen something interesting in the news or on the intertubes? Discuss it here.

Moderators: Zamfir, Hawknc, Moderators General, Prelates

Nyarlathotep
Not a god. Not even a titan.

Sudden deaths after arrest in Spain

Postby Nyarlathotep » Thu Sep 04, 2008 4:47 am UTC

http://www.reuters.com/article/newsOne/ ... 0920080902

Apologies if this has been posted.

My first thought was, "Kira exists, and he's Spanish?"

Even so, this is pretty damn weird, and a little disconcerting.
'Gehȳrst þū, sǣlida, hwæt þis folc segeð?
hī willað ēow tō gafole gāras syllan,
ǣttrynne ord and ealde swurd,
þā heregeatu þe ēow æt hilde ne dēah.

Mighty Jalapeno
Inne Juste 7 Dayes I Wille Make You A Hero!

Re: Sudden deaths after arrest in Spain

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Thu Sep 04, 2008 5:46 am UTC

Just my guess, but... given the world today, a lot of people probably see getting arrested as that first step into a really, really crappy, useless life, and while handcuffed in a jail cell, have a lot of time to actually worry themselves to death. Hormones and neurochemicals can stress the body WAY past the breaking point, because your body doesn't really have a way to say "Ok, enough stress... here's an imaginary kitten."

Jahoclave
sourmilk's moderator

Postby Jahoclave » Thu Sep 04, 2008 6:53 am UTC

Mighty Jalapeno wrote:Just my guess, but... given the world today, a lot of people probably see getting arrested as that first step into a really, really crappy, useless life, and while handcuffed in a jail cell, have a lot of time to actually worry themselves to death. Hormones and neurochemicals can stress the body WAY past the breaking point, because your body doesn't really have a way to say "Ok, enough stress... here's an imaginary kitten."

More evidence against Intelligent Design; certainly this feature would have been installed had there been one.

Mighty Jalapeno
Inne Juste 7 Dayes I Wille Make You A Hero!

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Thu Sep 04, 2008 3:59 pm UTC

Jahoclave wrote:More evidence against Intelligent Design; certainly this feature would have been installed had there been one.

Are you kidding? Intelligent Design / Guided Evolution, if it is real, is ALL ABOUT death and killing. SO MUCH. This was probably a big selling feature.

22/7
I'm pretty sure I have "The Slavery In My Asshole" on DVD.

Postby 22/7 » Thu Sep 04, 2008 4:05 pm UTC

Mighty Jalapeno wrote:Just my guess, but... given the world today, a lot of people probably see getting arrested as that first step into a really, really crappy, useless life, and while handcuffed in a jail cell, have a lot of time to actually worry themselves to death. Hormones and neurochemicals can stress the body WAY past the breaking point, because your body doesn't really have a way to say "Ok, enough stress... here's an imaginary kitten."
Well, to a certain extent it does, but I believe we call that schizophrenia, and I wouldn't call that not breaking.
Totally not a hypothetical...

Steroid wrote:
bigglesworth wrote:If your economic reality is a choice, then why are you not as rich as Bill Gates?
Don't want to be.
I want to be!

the_stabbage

Postby the_stabbage » Thu Sep 04, 2008 4:19 pm UTC

Jahoclave wrote:

More evidence against Intelligent Design; certainly this feature would have been installed had there been one.

An Intelligent Designer could be a malevolent entity, you know.

But on topic, that's pretty interesting. I mean I've heard about people dying of broken hearts and being in grief and suddenly dying, you know, mostly like anecdotal stuff from a hundred or more years ago. Maybe people back then were more stressed by those types of things than us?

Nomic

Postby Nomic » Thu Sep 04, 2008 4:47 pm UTC

Somebody there has gotten their hands on the Deathnote. Come on, could it be any more obvious? Speaking of Deathnote, am I the only one who thought all the kiras seriously lack imagniation? I mean, if I had the DN, I'd come up with all kinds of wildly improbably causes of death.

Artemis Leon

Postby Artemis Leon » Fri Sep 05, 2008 5:02 am UTC

Nomic wrote:Somebody there has gotten their hands on the Deathnote. Come on, could it be any more obvious? Speaking of Deathnote, am I the only one who thought all the kiras seriously lack imagniation? I mean, if I had the DN, I'd come up with all kinds of wildly improbably causes of death.

. . .and in national news, the man accused of being the serial killer known as "Mr. Happystab" died in police custody this afternoon, having apparently eaten his own head. . .
There is only one good, knowledge, and one evil, ignorance.
-Socrates

Return to “News & Articles”