Lady News!

Seen something interesting in the news or on the intertubes? Discuss it here.

Moderators: Zamfir, Hawknc, Moderators General, Prelates

sophyturtle
I'll go put my shirt back on for this kind of shock. No I won't. I'll get my purse.

Re: Lady News!

Postby sophyturtle » Sun Mar 01, 2009 11:47 pm UTC

I think officially they need to open p to a comment period. Still, it was one of his promises that he would overturn the Bush BS so I am being hopeful.
I want to get to a place where I am neither conforming nor rebelling but simply being.

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
As the Arbiter of Everything, Everything Sucks

Postby (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ » Mon Mar 02, 2009 3:07 am UTC

"The notion that women have to want sex to enjoy it has been a really misguided idea that has caused havoc in relationships over the last 40 years."

With the right approach from a loving partner, if women were willing to be receptive "and allow themselves to relax … they would enjoy it", she said.

word.jpg
word.jpg (11.33 KiB) Viewed 3515 times
Heyyy baby wanna kill all humans?

Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby Bakemaster » Thu Mar 05, 2009 5:18 pm UTC

sophyturtle wrote:I do this thing were I write the editor when I see things like this. You can too! Here.

Good idea. I have given them 557 pieces of my mind.
c0 = 2.13085531 × 1014 smoots per fortnight
"Apparently you can't summon an alternate timeline clone of your inner demon, guys! Remember that." —Noc

TheSkyMovesSideways

Postby TheSkyMovesSideways » Fri Mar 06, 2009 4:39 am UTC

So I noticed there was an editorial in The Age today responding to that article!

http://www.theage.com.au/opinion/no-sex ... ml?page=-1
I had all kinds of plans in case of a zombie attack.
I just figured I'd be on the other side.
~ASW

Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby Bakemaster » Fri Mar 06, 2009 3:24 pm UTC

Heh, "houseologist".
c0 = 2.13085531 × 1014 smoots per fortnight
"Apparently you can't summon an alternate timeline clone of your inner demon, guys! Remember that." —Noc

sophyturtle
I'll go put my shirt back on for this kind of shock. No I won't. I'll get my purse.

Postby sophyturtle » Wed Mar 11, 2009 4:14 pm UTC

I often post bad news, but this time I get to smile while I post (sorry, US-centric).
Remember a little while back when birth control pills became more expensive and colleges no longer had the financial backing to provide cheap and/or free birth control? Well, that is being fixed.
I am very glad that we are getting back some of the things that were lost during the Bush administration. I am no longer on the pill, but the idea that during a crazy economy people will not need to choose between family planning and other needs or wants is wonderful.
I want to get to a place where I am neither conforming nor rebelling but simply being.

Marbas

Postby Marbas » Fri Mar 13, 2009 11:49 pm UTC

Trigger warning for rape victims etc:

This is just awful.
Jahoclave wrote:Do you have any idea how much more fun the holocaust is with "Git er Done" as the catch phrase?

sophyturtle

Postby sophyturtle » Sat Mar 14, 2009 7:29 am UTC

This makes me sad in so many ways.

william
Not a Raptor. Honest.

Postby william » Sat Mar 14, 2009 2:01 pm UTC

That pisses me off.
SecondTalon wrote:A pile of shit can call itself a delicious pie, but that doesn't make it true.

Delalyra

Postby Delalyra » Wed Mar 18, 2009 1:00 am UTC

Not quite news, but public and related to women's issues: there's this pro-lifo movie coming out in August, apparently, called 22 Weeks. Here's the official site. I think the trailer makes it look more like a horror movie than anything else. Also, they have a quote from world net daily on the poster! Classy.

Essentially: Woman goes in for abortion, opts for an induction abortion. Due to some mishaps, the baby is born alive and the staff refuses to get help for the baby; baby dies. Emotions and lawsuits ensue.

This blog post seems to have the most information, or at least the story the woman told WND. It's a pretty horrifying story, and emotional, and it was probably a truly traumatizing experience. Still, the only kind of argument it makes for the pro-life cause is an appeal to emotion, and we all know those are no good. Furthermore, it dismisses positive outcomes of abortion, which, yeah, isn't the point of the movie, but I think most of the pro-lifers who see it will be all, "abortion is so tragic! we mustn't let any more happen! *praypraypray*" and they'll completely ignore the good things that can come of it (eg, quality of the mother's life).

They're showing it at my school; I may go see it, just to be devil's advocate at the discussion afterwards.
you may remember me from 2008 or 2009. I left for a while. I'm now sporadically back. I tumble here.

sophyturtle

Postby sophyturtle » Thu Mar 19, 2009 6:18 pm UTC

I read the blog thing for that and watched the preview. I am oddly speechless and uncomfortable about this. I wish there were more facts, and I wish I was not discounting the experiences of that woman when I think things to myself like 'was it really moving in a useful way or just doing reflex things? cause I have sat looking at only the leg of a frog and seen it kick when I barely touched it, but it was in no way alive. Would they really not give her all the injections she needed? And bio hazardous waste (ie. things with blood on them) were just sitting around?' This movie worries me.

Unrealted:
I saw this story in the paper today, but wrapped up into one paragraph about how black unwed teenage mothers increased. As if those teenagers got pregnant by themselves and men are unaffected by these developments. Then I got to thinking about how I might one day be an unwed mother, if I reproduce, because I am the type to be in a life long relationship without marriage (unless it turns out to save me money or something, common law marriage from living together forever works for me in most cases). Does this also make judgments about the social connections involved?
I just have a lot in my head about this, and I was wondering what other people thought.

sophyturtle

Postby sophyturtle » Fri Mar 20, 2009 5:39 pm UTC

A quick double post. Pres. Obama is overturning one of the bad things Bush did. You can support it here. That HHS rule should never have come to be, and now you can tell people you want it overturned.

fix'd your link, love

Grop

Postby Grop » Tue Mar 24, 2009 11:28 am UTC

sophyturtle wrote:I am the type to be in a life long relationship without marriage (unless it turns out to save me money or something, common law marriage from living together forever works for me in most cases).

I am not quite sure what is common law marriage, but in this country an increasing number of straight couples make a PACS (that's the French civil union). Unmarried parents are therefore becoming sort of common (but I don't mean they are many).

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Postby (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ » Tue Mar 24, 2009 2:03 pm UTC

I'm trying to figure out how i would respond if my boyfriend used any of these helpful tips to get your girlfriend to lose some fucking weight.
Part of me is happy to dismiss this bullshit as entertainment for people I consider beneath me, but really, why is it conscionable to print shit like this?
No.7 - Serve her unsatisfactory portions

When dishing up meals for the two of you, try giving her smaller-than-usual amounts. By making her ask for more food, you might succeed in shaming her into an acknowledgment of her recent weight gain, and hopefully to instigate a conversation about what she’s going to do about it. If you feel as though you’re starving yourself in the process, remember you can always go back for more when she’s not looking.

Shame your girl into losing some weight. Because she should be ashamed!

The people who write this shit should be ashamed.

Crappy magazines: because actually communicating with your significant other is totally yuppie bullshit. :roll:

Will
There are about a million things I can do from behind

Postby Will » Tue Mar 24, 2009 2:04 pm UTC

Remember kids, belittling your significant other is the fastest way to a healthy relationship!
Meaux_Pas: Is it fucking Taint Sunday or something?
liza: Screw y'all, I'm going to the moon

bigglesworth
I feel like Biggles should have a title

Postby bigglesworth » Thu Mar 26, 2009 12:14 am UTC

Oh, the angry; just look at the size of the models they chose :evil:
Generation Y. I don't remember the First Gulf War, but do remember floppy disks.

Delalyra

Postby Delalyra » Thu Mar 26, 2009 1:02 am UTC

That site is downright fail. :evil: See also:

Top 10 ways to flirt with a woman sexually wrote:No.2 - Let her know you know
Want to know a secret about female sexuality that 99% of men don't know? Here it is: Many women feel compelled to vacuum their house when they're ovulating. Some experts believe it has something to do with wanting to "clean the nest" before laying her "egg." So, when a woman tells you she is vacuuming, say: "Vacuuming? Are you ovulating or something?" She’ll be stunned that you know this and wonder what else you know about female sexuality. Of course, if she doesn’t know what you mean, fill her in. Women love it when you teach them something new -- especially about themselves.
What the shit? Just. what.
you may remember me from 2008 or 2009. I left for a while. I'm now sporadically back. I tumble here.

Hawknc
Oompa Loompa of SCIENCE!

Postby Hawknc » Thu Mar 26, 2009 1:28 am UTC

I...I can't tell if that site is serious. I'm going to assume it's not and laugh, because I have to go back to work and crying isn't a viable option. So...lulz?
ImageImageImage

Gunfingers

Postby Gunfingers » Thu Mar 26, 2009 3:13 am UTC

Since their dating advice is worse than this guy's i'd say they're either joking or hoping to make it so no one but them ever gets a date again.

sophyturtle

Postby sophyturtle » Thu Mar 26, 2009 3:53 pm UTC

I don't clean when I am ovulating. I cramp when ovulating. I clean right after Shark Week ends (a week or so before ovulation).
If I was ever in a relationship with someone who thought any of these things were good to do because I gained weight I would let someone else see me naked and not burden the ass hat SO. this is not the way to deal with things, why is direct communication so fucking hard?

PictureSarah
Secretary of Penile Nomenclature

Postby PictureSarah » Thu Mar 26, 2009 6:12 pm UTC

Oh yeah. Making your SO feel shitty about herself, trying to control what she eats, and risking serious injury by sabotaging her fucking chair are *fantastic* ideas. I know know why more men don't do things like that.
"A ship is safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Postby (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ » Thu Mar 26, 2009 6:46 pm UTC

I was originally linked to that via a blog which said, "If someday the women of the world rise up and cut all of our cocks off, you'll have to look at things like this and admit that they've got a point."

INdeed.

TheSkyMovesSideways

Postby TheSkyMovesSideways » Fri Mar 27, 2009 12:36 am UTC

Perhaps those sites were intended for Linux developers?

Spoiler:
I had all kinds of plans in case of a zombie attack.
I just figured I'd be on the other side.
~ASW

sophyturtle

Postby sophyturtle » Mon Apr 06, 2009 7:06 pm UTC

Well shit, looks like the rights of women in Afghanistan are under serious attack. I really don't understand who this could become law! I mean, how can they make laws about what women and men must do in a relationship like marriage?!? And why do women only get guaranteed sex once every few months if men get it every few days?
Also, way to make rape legal Afghanistan.

lesliesage

Postby lesliesage » Tue Apr 07, 2009 10:53 am UTC

deleted
Last edited by lesliesage on Sat Oct 09, 2010 8:05 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Dibley

Postby Dibley » Wed Apr 08, 2009 4:36 am UTC

Meaux_Pas wrote:I'm trying to figure out how i would respond if my boyfriend used any of these helpful tips to get your girlfriend to lose some fucking weight.

Admittedly, numbers six and eight ("Improve your own diet" and "Set out on your own weight loss plan") are quite good ideas, if rather stupidly worded. Six has the side benefit of encouraging the guy to share in the cooking/food acquisition duties.

Lycur

Postby Lycur » Wed Apr 08, 2009 6:11 am UTC

sophyturtle wrote:I really don't understand who this could become law! I mean, how can they make laws about what women and men must do in a relationship like marriage?!? And why do women only get guaranteed sex once every few months if men get it every few days?

In Afghanistan, men vote, women don't. That's really all it takes.

Edit: don't, not can't. Wanted to clear that up ahead of time before it caused someone to have an aneurism.

sophyturtle

Postby sophyturtle » Wed Apr 08, 2009 5:23 pm UTC

The Missouri legislature is doing that funny things were they decide some women cannot consent to their own abortions. While I understand how this could be helpful if it were better worded, the current wording is more than troublesome.

Crius

Postby Crius » Wed Apr 08, 2009 6:00 pm UTC

Lycur wrote:
sophyturtle wrote:I really don't understand who this could become law! I mean, how can they make laws about what women and men must do in a relationship like marriage?!? And why do women only get guaranteed sex once every few months if men get it every few days?

In Afghanistan, men vote, women don't. That's really all it takes.

Edit: don't, not can't. Wanted to clear that up ahead of time before it caused someone to have an aneurism.

I'm not so sure about that. According to the article, women make up about 25% of the legislature (89 out of 351). That's better than the U.S., where women make up only 17% of the legislature.

Indon

Postby Indon » Wed Apr 08, 2009 8:58 pm UTC

Crius wrote:I'm not so sure about that. According to the article, women make up about 25% of the legislature (89 out of 351). That's better than the U.S., where women make up only 17% of the legislature.

Mind that you are describing a country that has had frequent military conflict for many years, in which very, very many men are simply dead.

So, you have to wonder what the population numbers look like by now. I mean, women could theoretically be 70-80% of the populace.
So, I like talking. So if you want to talk about something with me, feel free to send me a PM.

My blog, now rarely updated.

Jahoclave
sourmilk's moderator

Postby Jahoclave » Wed Apr 08, 2009 9:07 pm UTC

sophyturtle wrote:The Missouri legislature is doing that funny things were they decide some women cannot consent to their own abortions. While I understand how this could be helpful if it were better worded, the current wording is more than troublesome.

Never let it be said that Missouri isn't full of stupid. I honestly feel sorry for the Legislators I know, there has to be no bounds to the amount of stupidity she has to put up with there. But like the article says, Nixon will veto and I doubt they've got the votes to override it.

This, however, is highly true.
This Missouri resident wishes someone would create the new crime of wasting the people's time while committing legislative stupidity.

sophyturtle

Postby sophyturtle » Tue Apr 14, 2009 8:10 pm UTC

Petition more than news... Maybe the news is the possible removal of one of the road blocks for society's view of child care. This is asking support for paid *parental* leave, something that could greatly alter how families work. If both parents had paid leave, and from the start both took an active role in caring for their kids things would be better. If single parents had paid time off to care for new children, it would be wonderful.
It seems like a good thing to me anyway. 4 weeks with a new baby is not much but it is sure something.

sophyturtle

Postby sophyturtle » Thu Apr 16, 2009 5:56 pm UTC

sophyturtle

Postby sophyturtle » Thu Apr 30, 2009 5:58 pm UTC

Triple post for Monthly Research Review.

There are a bunch of good studies in there, mostly to do with reproductive issues this month. I don't want to blast people with it, but if you are interested I want to make sure it is easy to find.

sophyturtle

Postby sophyturtle » Fri May 22, 2009 6:32 pm UTC

This is totally my own private thread now.

Anyway, you know how sometimes people say women should have to pay more for health insurance (despite making less on average than male counterparts with the same qualifications)? Turns out that the higher cost makes for more burden on women, and a higher percentage of women going without insurance. And this study was from 2007, meaning the crazy economy has likely made things worse. This is sort of huge to me.

I have seen the problems in my life and the lives of my friends. I guess I was wondering if other people were having the same troubles.

headprogrammingczar

Postby headprogrammingczar » Fri May 22, 2009 6:49 pm UTC

I never liked gender-based pricing on any kind of insurance. Sure, there may be a statistical link between say, being male and getting in car accidents, but the companies are punishing everyone with a penis for some idiots that drive recklessly. Gender doesn't work that way.
<quintopia> You're not crazy. you're the goddamn headprogrammingspock!
<Weeks> You're the goddamn headprogrammingspock!
<Cheese> I love you

bigglesworth

Postby bigglesworth » Fri May 22, 2009 6:58 pm UTC

Or rather, socialised health care for the win not failing miserably and painfully.
Generation Y. I don't remember the First Gulf War, but do remember floppy disks.

PictureSarah

Postby PictureSarah » Sat May 30, 2009 6:19 pm UTC

Amazon is selling a game where the objective is to coerce your female captive into "loving you," through various abuses, including sexual. Here's a more detailed description:
http://www.feministing.com/archives/015717.html

Write to them and tell them what jackasses they are and that you'd like to see this game removed from the shelves (and the universe, if possible).

bigglesworth

Postby bigglesworth » Sat May 30, 2009 6:22 pm UTC

The link on the blog leads to a 404... so that's either a mistake or the game has been taken down already.

From other sites, I think it's been taken down. Yay!

PictureSarah

Postby PictureSarah » Sat May 30, 2009 6:25 pm UTC

Might have been taken down already. That was only posted yesterday, but I searched on Amazon and couldn't find it. That's a good thing.

Return to “News & Articles”