Boy goes on zoo rampage

Seen something interesting in the news or on the intertubes? Discuss it here.

Moderators: Zamfir, Hawknc, Moderators General, Prelates

dubsola

Boy goes on zoo rampage

Postby dubsola » Fri Oct 03, 2008 10:20 am UTC

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/asia-pacific/7649876.stm

A seven-year-old boy has been filmed going on the rampage at a popular zoo in Australia, killing rare reptiles and feeding live ones to a crocodile. Footage from the security cameras at Alice Springs Reptile Centre caught the child smiling as he killed a total of 13 animals.

During his 30-minute spree, he was seen hurling the animals over the security fence into the crocodile enclosure.

Zoo officials described the boy's actions as "unbelievable". They are considering suing the parents as the boy is too young to be prosecuted.

What a little toerag. Kids these days, blame the parents, etc, etc.

Moo
Oh man! I'm going to be so rebellious! I'm gonna...

Re: Boy goes on zoo rampage

Postby Moo » Fri Oct 03, 2008 10:23 am UTC

dubsola wrote:
the boy is too young to be prosecuted.
This kid surely needs some sort of help or at least evaluation, you cannot possibly just go "oh well he's clearly a very disturbed person showing classic early signs of psychosis but his age falls below an arbitrary cuttoff point so we'll just do nothing".
Proverbs 9:7-8 wrote:Anyone who rebukes a mocker will get an insult in return. Anyone who corrects the wicked will get hurt. So don't bother correcting mockers; they will only hate you.
Hawknc wrote:FFT: I didn't realise Proverbs 9:7-8 was the first recorded instance of "haters gonna hate"

22/7
I'm pretty sure I have "The Slavery In My Asshole" on DVD.

Postby 22/7 » Fri Oct 03, 2008 12:10 pm UTC

Am I the only one curious how a seven year old was able to go on a 30 minute killing spree in a zoo? Where were the kid's parents?

And yeah, it appears the kid's got some emotional issues.
Totally not a hypothetical...

Steroid wrote:
bigglesworth wrote:If your economic reality is a choice, then why are you not as rich as Bill Gates?
Don't want to be.
I want to be!

Azrael
CATS. CATS ARE NICE.

Postby Azrael » Fri Oct 03, 2008 12:16 pm UTC

I'm surprised he could get to the lizards (etc). Maybe I've just been to more idiot-resistant zoos.

michael24easilybored

Postby michael24easilybored » Fri Oct 03, 2008 12:22 pm UTC

the report I read on it said he had tried to get into the crocodile enclosure himself, but wasn't able to climb over the fense. I hate to admit that my first thought was that that was a bit of a shame. Little shit :)

Of course I wonder if the parents would have tried to sue the zoo if he had successfully fed himself to a crocodile?

22/7

Postby 22/7 » Fri Oct 03, 2008 12:46 pm UTC

michael24easilybored wrote:the report I read on it said he had tried to get into the crocodile enclosure himself, but wasn't able to climb over the fense. I hate to admit that my first thought was that that was a bit of a shame. Little shit :)

Of course I wonder if the parents would have tried to sue the zoo if he had successfully fed himself to a crocodile?

Probably. From the article

"The attack happened on Wednesday morning after the boy entered the zoo by jumping over the security fence and evading sensor alarms.
Over the next half hour, he bludgeoned some of the animals to death with stones and hurled others over the two fences surrounding the crocodile enclosure.
At one point, he tried scaling the outer enclosure himself to get to "Terry", the 11ft (3.3m) saltwater crocodile.
A turtle, four Western blue-tongued lizards, two bearded dragons, two thorny devil lizards and the zoo's 20-year-old goanna were among those killed."

So the kid breaks into the zoo in what appears to be a premeditated fashion, beats some lizards to death with rocks, and feeds more to a crocodile. In addition to my previous question (where the fuck were the parents?) comes, where was everyone else in the zoo? I mean, surely someone was around and witnessed some of this? Security, staff, other zoo-goers? Unfortunately the zoo didn't say anything about whether the park was open or not, just that it happened in the morning.

Steroid wrote:
bigglesworth wrote:If your economic reality is a choice, then why are you not as rich as Bill Gates?
Don't want to be.
I want to be!

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Fri Oct 03, 2008 1:43 pm UTC

I would guess that it either happened before the zoo opened, or at least early enough that there weren't yet many people there.

But yeah, I concur that this is a classic early sign of psychosis, and so there really really ought to be something more than simply suing money out of the parents. Surely Australia has a juvenile court system of some kind, right? Which could result in things like court-mandated therapy or something?

If not, I'm going to go out ahead and say y'all Aussies got a stupid legal system.
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

22/7

Postby 22/7 » Fri Oct 03, 2008 2:08 pm UTC

The Article wrote:As children under the age of 10 cannot be held accountable for their actions in the Northern Territory, the zoo would be seeking to take action against the parents.
It would appear that the legal system can't "punish" the child (jail time/community service/etc.), but I don't know if that means that the court couldn't order the kid to receive some much needed therapy/counseling. Gawd I hope not.

Steroid wrote:
Don't want to be.
I want to be!

segmentation fault

Postby segmentation fault » Fri Oct 03, 2008 2:26 pm UTC

maybe if he exercised his violent urges through video games he wouldnt need to go to a zoo and do it.

:)
people are like LDL cholesterol for the internet

22/7

Postby 22/7 » Fri Oct 03, 2008 2:31 pm UTC

segmentation fault wrote:maybe if he exercised his violent urges through video games he wouldnt need to go to a zoo and do it.

;)
places this thread doesn't need to go...

Steroid wrote:
Don't want to be.
I want to be!

krikitarmy

Postby krikitarmy » Fri Oct 03, 2008 3:30 pm UTC

{redacted}
Last edited by krikitarmy on Fri Feb 17, 2017 8:45 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Fuzzy_Wuzzy.bmp

Postby Fuzzy_Wuzzy.bmp » Fri Oct 03, 2008 3:45 pm UTC

krikitarmy wrote:You guys are missing this kid's clear potential to become an assassin. No problem with killing? Scaling walls and avoiding sensors? All at 7? You don't get a better chance than this to find the worlds next great killing machine.

He also has no problem feeding himself to a crocodile. The zoo, on the other hand, exhibits all the classic signs of not enough wolves loose during off-hours.

aleflamedyud
wants your cookies

Postby aleflamedyud » Fri Oct 03, 2008 3:53 pm UTC

22/7 wrote:Am I the only one curious how a seven year old was able to go on a 30 minute killing spree in a zoo? Where were the kid's parents?

And yeah, it appears the kid's got some emotional issues.

None that a good beating won't solve!
"With kindness comes naïveté. Courage becomes foolhardiness. And dedication has no reward. If you can't accept any of that, you are not fit to be a graduate student."

Indon

Postby Indon » Fri Oct 03, 2008 4:30 pm UTC

Maybe he just thought the crocodile was hungry, and was trying to help feed it?

...and then, later on, figured he'd go into it's cage after feeding it 'cause the crocodile would recognize him as a friend?

Mind that kids are, well, kids. *points to the 'things you thought when you were a kid' thread in General for emphasis*
So, I like talking. So if you want to talk about something with me, feel free to send me a PM.

My blog, now rarely updated.

Moo
Oh man! I'm going to be so rebellious! I'm gonna...

Postby Moo » Fri Oct 03, 2008 4:32 pm UTC

And that adorable smashing-several-lizards'-skulls-in-with-a-rock thing - kids do the darndest things!
Proverbs 9:7-8 wrote:Anyone who rebukes a mocker will get an insult in return. Anyone who corrects the wicked will get hurt. So don't bother correcting mockers; they will only hate you.
Hawknc wrote:FFT: I didn't realise Proverbs 9:7-8 was the first recorded instance of "haters gonna hate"

Green9090

Postby Green9090 » Fri Oct 03, 2008 4:39 pm UTC

krikitarmy wrote:You guys are missing this kid's clear potential to become an assassin. No problem with killing? Scaling walls and avoiding sensors? All at 7? You don't get a better chance than this to find the worlds next great killing machine.

This is EXACTLY what I was thinking. This seven year old managed to breach zoo security and cause serious damage. When I was seven I wouldn't have even known what evading sensors entailed.

I wonder if he'll grow up to be some evil genius. Alternatively, this could actually be the anti-Christ, which would explain the evil tendencies and the ease with which he exercised them. And people were thinking it was Obama...
Belial wrote:A man with more arms than the entire hindu pantheon and thirty goddamn dicks has no time for logic! He must consume ever more bacon to fuel his incalculable manhood!

Jebobek

Postby Jebobek » Fri Oct 03, 2008 5:18 pm UTC

"A turtle, four Western blue-tongued lizards, two bearded dragons, two thorny devil lizards and the zoo's 20-year-old goanna were among those killed."
Dude this kid must have leveled up like 4 times in that half hour.

ArchangelShrike
Rodan's Title

Postby ArchangelShrike » Fri Oct 03, 2008 6:01 pm UTC

Only 65 more levels to 70?

If the zoo was closed, I would want to know if it was in the morning or the evening. Hell, if he was supposed to be at school or some such, what was happening there?

Aikanaro

Postby Aikanaro » Fri Oct 03, 2008 6:03 pm UTC

If the zoo was closed, and/or he wasn't there with his parents, how did he even get there?
Dear xkcd,

On behalf of my religion, I'm sorry so many of us do dumb shit. Please forgive us.

Love, Aikanaro.

Jebobek

Postby Jebobek » Fri Oct 03, 2008 6:14 pm UTC

How? hmm. possible culprit:
Attachments
possibly.jpg
Silliness aside, this kid needs guidance.
possibly.jpg (3.65 KiB) Viewed 4118 times

krikitarmy

Postby krikitarmy » Fri Oct 03, 2008 11:48 pm UTC

{redacted}
Last edited by krikitarmy on Fri Feb 17, 2017 8:45 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Alias

Postby Alias » Fri Oct 03, 2008 11:50 pm UTC

textbook sociopathy isnt it, killing small animals.

tis one of the reasons kids scare me
GENERATION 20: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

clintonius

Postby clintonius » Fri Oct 03, 2008 11:56 pm UTC

krikitarmy wrote:
Aikanaro wrote:If the zoo was closed, and/or he wasn't there with his parents, how did he even get there?
The zoo was closed. He snuck in. You know, the whole avoiding sensors and climbing fences we've been talking about? And while the article doesn't explicitly state that his parents weren't there, I think it's a safe assumption.

"Get there," not "get in."

Protip: being a condescending asshole only works if you understand what's happening.
kira wrote:*piles up some limbs and blood and a couple hearts for good measure*
GUYS. I MADE A HUMAN.
*...pokes at it with a stick*

Jack Saladin
X is kiss

Postby Jack Saladin » Sat Oct 04, 2008 12:00 am UTC

... What would you do if you found out this kid lived on your street? He's exactly and undoubtedly the type to nail your cat to a tree or something.

Children: Pretty scary?

Can't there be like special, parent-and-child specific cities so the rest of us don't have to suffer their presence?

Alias

Postby Alias » Sat Oct 04, 2008 12:04 am UTC

i concour whole heartedly. there was a kid in the store today who kept pulling things off the shelf. took me best part of an hour to reface that aisle, whilst its (spotty, teenage, fat loudmouthed) mother watched

eugh
GENERATION 20: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Jack Saladin
X is kiss

Postby Jack Saladin » Sat Oct 04, 2008 12:06 am UTC

It's not really fair the rest of us should have to live in terror and discomfort because some other sucker forgot to wear a rubber (and believe me, no matter what the parents claim, that's the only reason any child exists). Surely that's a breach of some fundamental human right?

Hawknc
Oompa Loompa of SCIENCE!

Postby Hawknc » Sat Oct 04, 2008 12:07 am UTC

If that kid lived on my street, I'd be stapling warning notices to every lightpole in the neighbourhood, not dissimilar to what tends to get done for pedophiles. Hell, it's bad enough he lives in my country.

Alias

Postby Alias » Sat Oct 04, 2008 12:09 am UTC

**all praise the god of microglynon**

but seriously, not getting pregnant is really not that hard, hell i've not made anyone pregnant for 21 years.

im kinda in favor of a parenting test to be honest... cant drive without a liscence but can make another human?

Jebobek

Postby Jebobek » Sat Oct 04, 2008 12:22 am UTC

Alias wrote:but seriously, not getting pregnant is really not that hard, hell i've not made anyone pregnant for 21 years.
24 here, those first 12 years were rough but these recent 12 years got easier!

Sarr

Postby Sarr » Sat Oct 04, 2008 1:40 am UTC

This is.... seriously fucked up. That's all I have to say. That kid needs help, big time.
Rakysh wrote:Basically, xkcd is basically for punching into submission the dumb frat guy in your brain.

Xeio
Friends, Faidites, Countrymen

Postby Xeio » Sat Oct 04, 2008 10:27 am UTC

And that zoo obviously needs better security if a 7 year old can break in and wreak havok for 30 minutes before being caught. I mean, I haven't been to the local zoo in a while, but I thought they had, you know, LOCKS on the doors to get to the animals.

Also, I hope the zoo does manage to sue the parents, maybe that'll teach them not to be idiots with their children. I mean seriously, what the fuck was the 7 year old doing without his parents around in the first place (or at school or something, under adult supervision of some kind)?

Ah well, guess its just too hopeful thinking he would get eaten by something, though I can't help but think then it would be some sort of 'tragedy' that he was able to get what he deserves, and the parents would sue the zoo. :evil:

Maseiken
The Candylawyer

Postby Maseiken » Sat Oct 04, 2008 11:25 am UTC

This is one of the most surprising completly-unsurprising-things I've ever read.

7 year-old kid sees some crocodiles, what do Crocs do? They eat shit of course! I don't think that kid would have to be that far unhinged from your average 7-year-old boy to go over the edge like that. All he needs is to be just a little unhinged from reality. Cliché as it is, I'm onna have to blame violent cartoons. Not there's anything wrong with them, really it's the Zoo's fault...
"GRRRRRRRRRROOOOOOOOWR!!!!"
(Translation: "Objection!")

Maseiken had the ball at the top of the key...

Princess Marzipan

Postby Princess Marzipan » Sat Oct 04, 2008 11:41 am UTC

Maseiken wrote:This is one of the most surprising completly-unsurprising-things I've ever read.

That's a gorram lie and you know it.
"It's Saturday night. I've got no date, a two-liter of Shasta, and my all-Rush mixtape. Let's rock!"
"I am just about to be brilliant!"
General_Norris, on feminism, wrote:If you lose your six Pokémon, you lost.

Maseiken
The Candylawyer

Postby Maseiken » Sat Oct 04, 2008 12:32 pm UTC

It's not, I used to have creepy thoughts all the time when I was a kid...

Wait, this is beginning to feel like that Monty Python sketch where the expert reveals that he's a serial Arsonist when he thought everyone had urgings like that...

But my point remains valid, to a 7-year-old, Crocodiles=Eating other animals. I don't think it would take that much to convince a kid this was a good idea. If anything, he has a lot more dedication than most kids these days...
"GRRRRRRRRRROOOOOOOOWR!!!!"
(Translation: "Objection!")

Maseiken had the ball at the top of the key...

Jack Saladin
X is kiss

Postby Jack Saladin » Sat Oct 04, 2008 12:38 pm UTC

He also bashed animals to death with a rock. That would have never, ever occurred to me as a child, and I expect the same is true for most people.

Princess Marzipan

Postby Princess Marzipan » Sat Oct 04, 2008 12:43 pm UTC

Maseiken wrote:It's not, I used to have creepy thoughts all the time when I was a kid...

A kid snuck into a zoo and fed lizards to a crocodile and also killed some with rocks.

How is that in any way NOT surprising? Maybe not surprising in the jaw-dropping sense, but at the the very least this is NOT unsurprising, and I don't see the value in posted that is as if to say "Why is there even a thread about this?"
"It's Saturday night. I've got no date, a two-liter of Shasta, and my all-Rush mixtape. Let's rock!"
"I am just about to be brilliant!"
General_Norris, on feminism, wrote:If you lose your six Pokémon, you lost.

Nomic

Postby Nomic » Sat Oct 04, 2008 12:53 pm UTC

I hit s snail with a baseball bat once when I was seven. However after seeing the thing go "splat!" I felt really bad for killing an animal for no reason at all and vowed to never do something like that again. This kid however killed multiple animals seemingly without remorse, and to make matters worse it was clearly premeditated. I wouldn't be too suprised if a kid hit a lizard with a rock just because he didn't like lizards and there was a rock nearby. Kids do stupid things. But this kid goes through the trouble of sneaking into a zoo and starts kiling things left and right. It was no crime of opportunity. I fully expect him to move on to dogs and cats, and eventually people, unless he gets help.

hermaj

Postby hermaj » Sat Oct 04, 2008 12:54 pm UTC

gmalivuk wrote:But yeah, I concur that this is a classic early sign of psychosis, and so there really really ought to be something more than simply suing money out of the parents. Surely Australia has a juvenile court system of some kind, right? Which could result in things like court-mandated therapy or something?

To the best of my knowledge, we do have juvenile court, but a child under the age of 10 years old is not considered mature enough to be accountable for their actions*, so cannot be charged with the offence, so therefore cannot be tried. The parents could be charged and tried and some form of court-mandated family therapy ordered which would include the child.

* I am desperately trying to recall a case where an 8 year old and a 9 year old boy killed a baby and were tried as juveniles, but I don't have nearly enough information to find it. Maybe someone else remembers?

Jack Saladin
X is kiss

Postby Jack Saladin » Sat Oct 04, 2008 12:57 pm UTC

I fully expect him to move on to dogs and cats,

I expect he's already there. This doesn't sound like his first time.

Mabus_Zero

Postby Mabus_Zero » Sat Oct 04, 2008 1:01 pm UTC

Hey, the kid did nothing wrong, that croc was really hungry, and those lazy lizards were doing nothing about it but sunbathing.

Specialization is for insects.

-Robert A. Heinlein

Return to “News & Articles”