In the World's Eye...Obama wins? (Reader's Digest)

Seen something interesting in the news or on the intertubes? Discuss it here.

Moderators: Zamfir, Hawknc, Moderators General, Prelates

Belial
A terrible sound heard from a distance

Re: In the World's Eye...Obama wins? (Reader's Digest)

Postby Belial » Tue Oct 14, 2008 2:12 am UTC

She's not a park ranger. It's not her job. She went out there to shoot things to death because she was technically allowed to and because it would be fun.

In my mind, that puts her in the same category as a non veterinarian who *really* wants to put labradors to sleep. Because it's fun. And hitting the vein with the euthanasia is super hard.
addams wrote:A drunk neighbor is better than a sober Belial.

They/them

Garm

Postby Garm » Tue Oct 14, 2008 2:15 am UTC

Actually the point of shooting wolves from helicopters instead of planes is because the copter can hover so it's easier to get an accurate shot.
Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
- JFK

clintonius

Postby clintonius » Tue Oct 14, 2008 2:17 am UTC

Also it's faster, you have a better vantage point from which to see the animals at a distance, and there is roughly zero chance of the wolf or another animal getting pissed and eating your feet.
kira wrote:*piles up some limbs and blood and a couple hearts for good measure*
GUYS. I MADE A HUMAN.
*...pokes at it with a stick*

Falmarri

Postby Falmarri » Tue Oct 14, 2008 2:37 am UTC

Belial wrote:She's not a park ranger. It's not her job. She went out there to shoot things to death because she was technically allowed to and because it would be fun.

So argue that. I'd agree with that. But "she shoots stuff from a helicopter because is scary" argument is stupid.

Garm wrote:Actually the point of shooting wolves from helicopters instead of planes is because the copter can hover so it's easier to get an accurate shot.

I imagine a hovering helicopter is nothing like setting your gun's bipod up on a rock.

clintonius wrote:Also it's faster, you have a better vantage point from which to see the animals at a distance, and there is roughly zero chance of the wolf or another animal getting pissed and eating your feet.

Because everyone knows that the farther the shot, the easier it is...

clintonius

Postby clintonius » Tue Oct 14, 2008 2:39 am UTC

Falmarri wrote:
clintonius wrote:Also it's faster, you have a better vantage point from which to see the animals at a distance, and there is roughly zero chance of the wolf or another animal getting pissed and eating your feet.
Because everyone knows that the farther the shot, the easier it is...
And everybody knows that "ease of shot" is one of the three things I mentioned in that post. Math problem: Vantage point + speed = more or less advantage in killin'?

Also,
Falmarri wrote:"she shoots stuff from a helicopter because is scary" argument is stupid.
it wasn't an argument. It was an anecdote used by dubsola to illustrate the understanding between two friends of how fuckoff terrifying it would be to have that woman in the White House.

For fuck's sake, let it go.[/hypocrisy]
kira wrote:*piles up some limbs and blood and a couple hearts for good measure*
GUYS. I MADE A HUMAN.
*...pokes at it with a stick*

TigerSummoner

Postby TigerSummoner » Tue Oct 14, 2008 5:31 am UTC

My personal experience must be very different from the national one, because I have never met an economist or anyone involved in economics who is a declared Democrat or Liberal. I guess that's what I get for living in the South and going to a primarily business and engineering school. (The business and engineering schools are full to the brim with people with Fiscal-Conservative-style views. The same at almost all schools I have contacts in, except possible Georgia Tech, but I would wager it's still the same.)

The fact that foreigners think they know how to run our country better than us is sheer arrogance. I mean, it's very convenient that they picked a candidate for us, but I assure them that we already have a system in place. Thank you. Look, even if I studied the politics of France for 4 years, I still wouldn't consider myself a better judge of French politics than most French citizens. I do not live there, I have not experienced France as a citizen, and I have no stake in the future affairs of the country. I would be casting my vote from an ivory tower, looking down on the little people who don't have my superior outside perspective.

So, in short, I don't care what Europe thinks about America, just as I'm sure they don't care what I think about Europe.

ps: I am probably voting for Obama, but definitely not for the reasons posted here. I find it incredibly distasteful that foreigners think they can run our country better than us. Bush will be remembered as a bad president, but not the worst.

*EDIT: "Bush WILL be remembered as a bad president. Whoops.
Last edited by TigerSummoner on Wed Oct 15, 2008 3:32 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

ameretrifle
Vera

Postby ameretrifle » Tue Oct 14, 2008 5:55 am UTC

In defense of the foreigners, I'm pretty sure most of them are venturing this opinion because they were, you know, asked. It's hardly their fault someone decided this was something worth polling them about. Say you're living in Paris, and some guy with a clipboard comes up and asks "Who do you support in the next election?" (Except in French.) Would it be so terrible if you shrugged and said "I can't really vote, but Candidate X"? As your opinion's not going to make the slightest difference anyway (unless someone who can vote decides for themselves to take it into account), why shouldn't you voice it?

Anyway, some people from other lands might indeed have this attitude you're complaining about, but it's really unrealistic to think all of them are looking down on us, itching to get their hands on the marionette-strings. Besides, they only have power if people decide to give it to them, and most Americans care about as much about their opinions as you do.

Belial
A terrible sound heard from a distance

Postby Belial » Tue Oct 14, 2008 5:58 am UTC

And, to be honest, we have a disproportionate amount of power on the world stage. I imagine some people in other countries feel that, since our choice of leader affects them so strongly, it is kindof part of the great unfairness of the world that they don't have any say in it.
addams wrote:A drunk neighbor is better than a sober Belial.

They/them

TigerSummoner

Postby TigerSummoner » Tue Oct 14, 2008 6:09 am UTC

I was more referring to the idea prevalent in this discussion that foreigners want Obama as president because they dislike America's actions for the past 8 years. Not that they are scrambling to give us their opinion. (though some are, my German neighbor in particular. :? )

And yeah, sometimes it's hard to remember that the American economy affects the world so much. Which as http://www.spiegel.de/international/ points out, when the banking crisis hit, that was the number one issue the world wanted to discuss, but Bush talked about Iran instead. Bush's reasons are his own, but I'm going to wager that he considered Iran the international issue and the banking stuff a domestic one.

Princess Marzipan

Postby Princess Marzipan » Tue Oct 14, 2008 6:46 am UTC

TigerSummoner wrote:I was more referring to the idea prevalent in this discussion that foreigners want Obama as president because they dislike America's actions for the past 8 years.

Why is that a bad thing? That's a large part of why a lot of Americans want Obama as president. He has differentiated himself from W in a way that McCain hasn't. This is clear to people who aren't American as well.
"It's Saturday night. I've got no date, a two-liter of Shasta, and my all-Rush mixtape. Let's rock!"
"I am just about to be brilliant!"
General_Norris, on feminism, wrote:If you lose your six Pokémon, you lost.

Kizyr

Postby Kizyr » Tue Oct 14, 2008 2:31 pm UTC

TigerSummoner wrote:My personal experience must be very different from the national one, because I have never met an economist or anyone involved in economics who is a declared Democrat or Liberal. I guess that's what I get for living in the South and going to a primarily business and engineering school. (The business and engineering schools are full to the brim with people with Fiscal-Conservative-style views. The same at almost all schools I have contacts in, except possible Georgia Tech, but I would wager it's still the same.)

The main problem is really with the imprecision of labels and how they're currently used. Most economists I know, myself included, are liberal in the original sense of the word (so liberal with a lowercase L)--so, that implies less government intervention in the market, which these days is identified as "fiscal conservatism".

I find it much easier to use labels that are precise and whose meanings haven't yet been messed around with. So, most economists (at least the ones I know) will be in favor of free markets and open trade (and sometimes more open immigration). Full stop. Adding on labels as to whether that's liberal/conservative/democratic/republican ends up obfuscating the position.

That brings me to the second issue... Not everyone identifies as a Democrat for the same reason (or a Republican for the same reason). There are a lot of elements of the GOP platform I agree with, for instance, but certain things take priority--and those are the things that lead me to identify as a Democrat. Additionally, there are a lot of things the Republicans have done that upset fiscal conservativesfolks who prefer to limit government spending quite a bit--such as justifying a runaway defense budget with no upper bound, and going from a budget surplus into an 8-year-in-a-row deficit. KF
~Kizyr

Postby Guest » Wed Oct 15, 2008 3:06 am UTC

TigerSummoner wrote:
The fact that foreigners think they know how to run our country better than us is sheer arrogance. I mean, it's very convenient that they picked a candidate for us, but I assure them that we already have a system in place. Thank you. Look, even if I studied the politics of France for 4 years, I still wouldn't consider myself a better judge of French politics than most French citizens. I do not live there, I have not experienced France as a citizen, and I have no stake in the future affairs of the country. I would be casting my vote from an ivory tower, looking down on the little people who don't have my superior outside perspective.

So, in short, I don't care what Europe thinks about America, just as I'm sure they don't care what I think about Europe.

ps: I am probably voting for Obama, but definitely not for the reasons posted here. I find it incredibly distasteful that foreigners think they can run our country better than us. Bush will not be remembered as a bad president, but not the worst.

I agree, their continual talk is annoying because it's just talk. Europeans are too passive, if they don't like the American government they should take action and remove it by force rather than just watch and complain. Instead of thinking they know how to run the country better, they should take action give a concrete demonstration.

TigerSummoner

Postby TigerSummoner » Wed Oct 15, 2008 3:40 am UTC

Guest wrote:I agree, their continual talk is annoying because it's just talk. Europeans are too passive, if they don't like the American government they should take action and remove it by force rather than just watch and complain. Instead of thinking they know how to run the country better, they should take action give a concrete demonstration.

I wish they'd try. Wouldn't that be awesome? War with Europe would show those no-good-peaceniks who has the biggest balls in the world. Then we can nuke the Middle East, turning it into a giant glass skating rink, solving our Arab problem. Of course, we have more pressing issues, like women thinking they should work and minorities voting, but those are domestic issues. We're discussing international ones right now.

We should invade Canada. They'd never expect it.

Habz

Postby Habz » Wed Oct 15, 2008 1:02 pm UTC

Guest wrote:I agree, their continual talk is annoying because it's just talk. Europeans are too passive, if they don't like the American government they should take action and remove it by force rather than just watch and complain. Instead of thinking they know how to run the country better, they should take action give a concrete demonstration.

You sir, just made the point for the rest of the world.

Haistfu

Postby Haistfu » Sun Mar 29, 2009 6:11 am UTC

Oh, btw, the world won.

Grop

Postby Grop » Mon Mar 30, 2009 2:32 pm UTC

Once again, the world was saved by America. Hollywood wins.

Sharlos

Postby Sharlos » Mon Mar 30, 2009 3:29 pm UTC

Grop wrote:Once again, the world was saved by America from America. Hollywood wins.

Fix'd

Haistfu

Postby Haistfu » Sun Apr 19, 2009 9:55 am UTC

Sharlos wrote:
Grop wrote:Once again, the world was saved by America from America. Hollywood wins.

Fix'd

Two points, 1: what a waste of a post and 2: what are you even saying?

Sharlos

Postby Sharlos » Sun Apr 19, 2009 10:38 am UTC

Haistfu wrote:
Sharlos wrote:

Fix'd

Two points, 1: what a waste of a post and 2: what are you even saying?

To be honest I doesn't even remember posting that.

Secondly, it seems fairly straight-forward what it says. The Americans saved the world by electing someone who wouldn't screw the rest of the planet over. However seeing the post was made in jest if I offended I apologize.

Woofsie

Postby Woofsie » Sun Apr 19, 2009 11:19 am UTC

Honestly, I agree with Sharlos. If McCain had been elected the rest of the world would have been fucked.

Return to “News & Articles”