Quotes from the Qur'an in Little Big Planet soundtrack.

Seen something interesting in the news or on the intertubes? Discuss it here.

Moderators: Zamfir, Hawknc, Moderators General, Prelates

KingLoser
Obnoxious Distraction

Quotes from the Qur'an in Little Big Planet soundtrack.

Postby KingLoser » Sun Oct 19, 2008 2:27 pm UTC

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6199562.ht ... es;title;1

Spoiler:
Little Big Planet recalled planetwide, due in US October 27

[UPDATE 2]: Quotations from the Qur'an in soundtrack prompt sudden delay of Sony's platformer in all territories; SCEA says it will ship revised copies to North America week after next.

Sony's Little Big Planet is one of the most high-profile releases of this holiday season. Developer Media Molecule has seen its game go from indie darling to AAA system-seller in the past year, thanks to the many appearances that the game has made at trade shows and events.

However, fans of the game are going to have to wait slightly longer to get it. Sony Computer Entertainment Europe has announced that it is recalling the game from retailers after it learned that the soundtrack featured some Arabic-language lines from the Qur'an backed with music. A SCEE representative also confirmed to GameSpot that this recall would be global, and could not confirm when the game would now actually hit shelves with the offending music removed.

The confirmation follows rumours that that Singing Safari level of the game features a song with two expressions found in Islam's central holy text, the Qur'an. Cached pages on the official PlayStation forum claim that the two phrases are (literally translated from the original Arabic): "Every soul shall have the taste of death" and "All that is on earth will perish."

Although Sony's press release does not confirm that the above lines are in the game, they do claim that "one of the background music tracks licensed from a record label for use in the game contains two expressions that can be found in the Qur'an." Independent translation done for GameSpot confirmed that the lines linked from the original post are indeed from the Qur'an.

Sony Computer Entertainment Europe's press release continues, "We have taken immediate action to rectify this and we sincerely apologise for any offence that this may have caused." It ends by saying that the company will confirm the new launch date shortly.

For more on LittleBigPlanet, check out GameSpot's full review of the indefinitely delayed game.

[UPDATE]: Impatient gamers may still be able to get their hands on the version of Little Big Planet that contains the Qur'an references. Gaming importer National Console Support said that it has begun shipping US versions of the game to customers who preordered. What's more, the site says that it will ship the game to US customers for Saturday delivery if they order by 4 p.m. Eastern time today.

This is not the first time a game developer has run afoul of the Qur'an. In November of 2002, Microsoft released the Xbox fighter Kakuto Chojin with a piece of background music that sampled passages of the holy book.

An internal Microsoft "geopolitical strategy team" identified the potential problem with the music as soon as the game had gone into duplication. Microsoft had a chance to recall the game before it hit shelves, but decided to release it anyway in the hopes that the music would go unnoticed. Although Kakuto Chojin was a critical and commercial flop, the background music eventually came to the fore, and Microsoft recalled the game in February of 2003.

[UPDATE 2]: SCEA has acknowledged the recall on its PlayStation Blog, apologizing to those offended and for the delay. According to the post, SCEA "will begin shipping LittleBigPlanet to retail in North America the week of October 27th."

The games been recalled worldwide. Quotations included such favourites as: "Every soul shall have the taste of death" and "All that is on earth will perish."
Add me on: Last.fm | Facebook | Flickr doodz.
Is minic a gheibhean beal oscailt díog dúnta.

Gelsamel
Lame and emo

Re: Quotes from the Qur'an in Little Big Planet soundtrack.

Postby Gelsamel » Sun Oct 19, 2008 2:34 pm UTC

So I guess a similar recall would be made if a song quoted some anti-women or anti-homosexual parts of the Christian Bible?

Either way I don't think it's a big deal... people complaining about bullshit. It's a god damn song, with god damn words. So what if it's in another language and happens to say something cool from an interesting book that just happens to be sometimes misinterpreted by religious douchebags.
"Give up here?"
- > No
"Do you accept defeat?"
- > No
"Do you think games are silly little things?"
- > No
"Is it all pointless?"
- > No
"Do you admit there is no meaning to this world?"
- > No

KingLoser
Obnoxious Distraction

Postby KingLoser » Sun Oct 19, 2008 2:37 pm UTC

Sensitive topic much?

I think it's pretty funny (also, v. ignorant) that they just put it in without even bothering to translate it first. "Aw look, they're speaking Arabic, how cute."

Either way, heads will roll for this.

Gelsamel
Lame and emo

Postby Gelsamel » Sun Oct 19, 2008 2:48 pm UTC

Sensitive topic that western society and culture has progressed to the point of complaining about Arabic in songs simply because they're quotes from a mythology book.

I don't care for the song itself. It's just bullshit that we've progressed to a point where a game has to be recalled because of this.
"Give up here?"
- > No
"Do you accept defeat?"
- > No
- > No
"Is it all pointless?"
- > No
- > No

KingLoser
Obnoxious Distraction

Postby KingLoser » Sun Oct 19, 2008 2:54 pm UTC

I'd say there's more to the recall than that.

Certain denominations of Islam don't take too kindly to their religion being viewed as the evil dark cult of fantasy fiction. There's hardliners on every side, and someone woulda made a fuss.

Gelsamel
Lame and emo

Postby Gelsamel » Sun Oct 19, 2008 3:02 pm UTC

If those are truly quotes from the Qur'an then what's the problem? If they aren't, then what's the problem...

I'm pretty sure there are bigger baddies out there that will complain about certain things the game does than angry religious douchebags beng angry like they usually are.
"Give up here?"
- > No
"Do you accept defeat?"
- > No
- > No
"Is it all pointless?"
- > No
- > No

Game_boy

Postby Game_boy » Sun Oct 19, 2008 3:14 pm UTC

Why do religions get special consideration like this? If a large number of people were "offended" by swearing, violence or sex in a game, that game isn't pulled. Religious considerations seem to override anything else (Just because you believe it doesn't mean you can impose it on the world...), even when the content doesn't actually affect them in any way.
The Reaper wrote:Evolution is a really really really long run-on sentence.

Darkscull

Postby Darkscull » Sun Oct 19, 2008 3:32 pm UTC

Game_boy wrote:Why do religions get special consideration like this? If a large number of people were "offended" by swearing, violence or sex in a game, that game isn't pulled. Religious considerations seem to override anything else (Just because you believe it doesn't mean you can impose it on the world...), even when the content doesn't actually affect them in any way.

I think it's far from clear that the game was recalled to avoid offending muslims. Seems to me it's more likely to offend 'Islamophobic' people in the west.
Although I suppose the type of people who would hate the game because it contains islamic stuff or something would hate video games anyway.
Physicists do it in an excited state.
m/bi/UK/Ⓐ/chaotic good
b. 1988 d. 20xx

Jack Saladin
X is kiss

Postby Jack Saladin » Sun Oct 19, 2008 9:45 pm UTC

I think it's far from clear that the game was recalled to avoid offending muslims. Seems to me it's more likely to offend 'Islamophobic' people in the west.

Ahh, no. Many Muslim gamers and groups wrote to Media Molecule saying that putting their holy scriptures to music for the purpose of entertainment is highly offensive, and asked for it to be removed. Sony and Media Molecule agreed to avoid damaging their image in a very successful market for them, the Middle East.

The most common reaction from Western gamers seems to be "who gives a fuck?! Gimmie my LBP!"

If a large number of people were "offended" by swearing, violence or sex in a game, that game isn't pulled.

Media Molecule closely monitors LBP online levels for swearing, violence, and sex, to be removed as soon as possible. This is an E rated game, that Sony hopes can achieve flagship title status for the PS3. Of course they're going to try and give it as wide as an appeal as possible - it'd be simply stupid to just shun a market for a game like this.

lorenith

Postby lorenith » Sun Oct 19, 2008 10:18 pm UTC

To add on to what others have said, let me quote some Muslims from another board.
Spoiler:
And here's the reason Muslims don't want it in there: they're using sacred text to make something "sound cool." They're stripping the meaning away and just using it to make the song sound "exotic." It's a phrase; it means something. The objection isn't "Oh me yarm VIDEO GAMES ARE THE GREAT SATAN AND MUST BE CONDEMNED TO THE HELLFIRES!!" The objection is "Hey, this is from a religious text that means something, and we're trying to protect that because we care about it."

There are plenty of ways you can make something sound exotic without going straight to quoting the Qu'ran. There's a great deal of secular Arabic vocal sampling that can be used for that kind of thing.

After Shariq and Swordbreaker, I too (as a Muslim) would like to enter the debate. Sony were right to remove content which is deemed blasphemic by practicing Muslims, if music is mixed with the verses of the Quran. Music is still a very debatable matter among Muslims as many scholars as well as the teachings of the Prophet say that it diverts the mind of the one who is praying or reading the Quran. That is a logical justification as the Quran needs a peaceful and quiet environment for readers to fully comprehend its meaning. Having shed more light into the matter, I hope people can be more tolerant of other faiths and try to resist a bomb gag or flame war. As Altair once said may peace and blessing be upon you all...

"Anasheed" is what we call our religious music, and the music should follow this basic type with percussion and instruments. Heavy beat background music like pop, rock, or techno is a big no no with religious music. Additionally, verses from the Quran cannot be used in the way those LBP tracks did. In fact, people usually avoid using the Quran with music all together in order to not get carried away ala LBP. Better safe than sorry.

In any case, I'm glad Sony's taking action sooner than later. Respect.

Hopefully everyone gets what's exactly going on with the explanation provided by cobaltstarfire and I. It's not "offensive" or "condemning" per-se, it's just frowned upon. I mean, I'm NOT upset by this...and I'm sure many Muslims feel the same way. It's just that stuff like that can be deemed offensive if abused. This is the way to respect the Holy Quran.

(cobaltstarfire is me btw)

While I'm not religious in any way, I would hope that if there was something sacrilegious like this involving other religions it would still be pulled if the people of that religion called up and said "hey this is extremely offensive to us could you patch it please?" Especially if it's something hidden away that the game developers themselves weren't aware of. I'm pretty sure the song that's being pulled from LBP wouldn't be in it at all if the developers knew what was being said in it.

Also, don't blame Muslims for Sony recalling the game, those who wrote about it just asked for a patch, it was Sony's decision to recall it entirely.

I know that there's a lot of intolerant people that are religious, that doesn't mean it's ok for people that are not religious to be super intolerant. Frankly it's becoming extremely frustrating to me to see the level of venom between religious and non religious people. Tolerance is good!

Falmarri

Postby Falmarri » Sun Oct 19, 2008 10:23 pm UTC

This post had objectionable content.

lorenith

Postby lorenith » Sun Oct 19, 2008 10:29 pm UTC

Yeah you missed the part where they asked for a PATCH not a recall. The recall was Sony.

Awia

Postby Awia » Sun Oct 19, 2008 10:40 pm UTC

And just to be nitpicky, it's a PS3 game, it won't be controlled with any sort of Keyboard or mouse.
Francis wrote:Look on the bright side, if you all die I'll still be handsome

Chfan

Postby Chfan » Sun Oct 19, 2008 10:57 pm UTC

Well, that sucks for Sony. But if the game is as successful as it's hyped to be, the recall won't matter. But Sony hasn't explained why exactly it's being recalled because of that, so how can you debate it?
Just FYI, the guy isn't avatar isn't me. But he seems pretty cool.

lorenith

Postby lorenith » Sun Oct 19, 2008 11:13 pm UTC

Better to just leave it alone then rather than being hateful to Muslims over it.

Kizyr

Postby Kizyr » Sun Oct 19, 2008 11:26 pm UTC

lorenith wrote:To add on to what others have said, let me quote some Muslims from another board.

Yeah, I basically agree with what was said there.

Additionally, the quotes are obviously taken out of context. Phrases like that are there to remind us that we're mortal and nothing in this world is permanent (which is apparent when, say, entire verses and chapters are read, instead of picking and choosing specific lines and clauses). When quoted in isolation, the effect is to change the meaning and make it sound violent, when it's precisely the opposite. KF
~Kizyr

roc314
Is dead, and you have killed him

Postby roc314 » Mon Oct 20, 2008 12:30 am UTC

@Falmarri: then write in to the makers and try to convince them to change that to respect your beliefs. When they tell you no because your "beliefs" are obviously not serious, go home and stop complaining.

And it's still trolling if it's in stab tags.

... Do people not know that we actually use stab tags to, y'know, remove offensive content?
Hippo: roc is the good little communist that lurks in us all
Richard Stallman: Geeks like to think that they can ignore politics, you can leave politics alone, but politics won't leave you alone.
suffer-cait: roc's a pretty cool dude

Jesse
Vocal Terrorist

Postby Jesse » Mon Oct 20, 2008 12:38 am UTC

Didn't see this mentioned, the song they used is actually a single, released in one of the Middle Eastern countries, they were just licensing the song for use in the game.

SirMustapha

Postby SirMustapha » Mon Oct 20, 2008 1:40 am UTC

And there go the hopes that they had sampled the track Qu'ran, from the seminal My Life in the Bush of Ghosts by David Byrne and Brian Eno. That wouldn't even be able, anyway, because the song virtually "disappeared" for the very same reasons.

Mane
21th Century African?

Postby Mane » Mon Oct 20, 2008 2:07 am UTC

This seems like a rather comical over reaction; perhaps Sony received threats over it?

Jack Saladin
X is kiss

Postby Jack Saladin » Mon Oct 20, 2008 2:58 am UTC

You could just read the thread and see exactly what they received over it, ya know. Specifically, polite letters outlining why people found it offensive.

Return to “News & Articles”