Obama cancels campaign events; grandma is dying

Seen something interesting in the news or on the intertubes? Discuss it here.

Moderators: Zamfir, Hawknc, Moderators General, Prelates

Quixotess
No. Cookies.

Obama cancels campaign events; grandma is dying

Postby Quixotess » Tue Oct 21, 2008 3:55 am UTC

Sadness.

Robert Gibbs told reporters aboard Obama's plane that Madelyn Payne Dunham, who helped raise Obama, was released from the hospital late last week. But he said her health had deteriorated "to the point where her situation is very serious."

Events originally planned for Madison, Wis., and Des Moines, Iowa, on Thursday will be replaced by one in Indianapolis before he makes the long flight to Hawaii. On Friday, Obama's wife, Michelle, will sub for Obama at rallies in Akron and Columbus, in Ohio, said campaign spokeswoman Jen Psaki. Obama was expected to resume campaigning on Saturday, at an undecided location in the West, she said.

Talk about stress upon stress. I don't know if this will help him (sympathy) or hurt him (distraction). Either way, I hope she's able to hang on, and I hope they get to say what they want to say to each other.
Raise up the torch and light the way.

RealGrouchy
Nobody Misses Me As Much As Meaux.

Re: Obama cancels campaign events; grandma is dying

Postby RealGrouchy » Tue Oct 21, 2008 4:12 am UTC

I'm just cringing in anticipation of the rumours he was adopted or something. ("How else can he have white grandparents?")

- RG>
Jack Saladin wrote:etc., lock'd
Mighty Jalapeno wrote:At least he has the decency to REMOVE THE GAP BETWEEN HIS QUOTES....
Sungura wrote:I don't really miss him. At all. He was pretty grouchy.

Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby Bakemaster » Tue Oct 21, 2008 12:38 pm UTC

There's a tiny, terrible part of me that expects the McCain campaign to criticize Obama for not suspending his whole campaign for this, as a lead-in to more self-fellating over McCain's bailout stunt.
c0 = 2.13085531 × 1014 smoots per fortnight
"Apparently you can't summon an alternate timeline clone of your inner demon, guys! Remember that." —Noc

MartianInvader

Postby MartianInvader » Tue Oct 21, 2008 2:44 pm UTC

Every time the McCain campaign has tried something like that, it's blown up in their face. I think they've learned their lesson by now.
Let's have a fervent argument, mostly over semantics, where we all claim the burden of proof is on the other side!

H.E.L.e.N.
Cheesy-tuna-bacon-pickle?

Postby H.E.L.e.N. » Tue Oct 21, 2008 6:25 pm UTC

Bakemaster wrote:There's a tiny, terrible part of me that expects the McCain campaign to criticize Obama for not suspending his whole campaign for this, as a lead-in to more self-fellating over McCain's bailout stunt.

Not that exactly, but I am sad that my first thought was "so how will the opposition spin this to make Obama look like the bad guy?".

GreaterSteven

Postby GreaterSteven » Tue Oct 21, 2008 6:37 pm UTC

It's a sad thing that the first thing we ALL think of when we read about this is how it's going to be spun, how they're going to attack him.

Politics. Christ.

frezik

Postby frezik » Tue Oct 21, 2008 6:56 pm UTC

Just when you thought you were being a cynic to believe that the opposition would spin this in a negative light, politics goes ahead and tells you that you're actually a realist.
I do not agree with the beer you drink, but will defend to the death your right to drink it

lorenith

Postby lorenith » Tue Oct 21, 2008 7:13 pm UTC

So about all those people that think he was born in Kenya.

I thought one could be born an American citizen simply by having an American parent regardless of whether they are born on American soil or not?

Maybe I'm just remembering it wrong...

22/7
I'm pretty sure I have "The Slavery In My Asshole" on DVD.

Postby 22/7 » Tue Oct 21, 2008 7:19 pm UTC

lorenith wrote:So about all those people that think he was born in Kenya.

I thought one could be born an American citizen simply by having an American parent regardless of whether they are born on American soil or not?

Maybe I'm just remembering it wrong...
You have to be a "natural-born citizen", if I remember correctly, to be eligible to run for the Presidency.
Totally not a hypothetical...

Steroid wrote:
bigglesworth wrote:If your economic reality is a choice, then why are you not as rich as Bill Gates?
Don't want to be.
I want to be!

lorenith

Postby lorenith » Tue Oct 21, 2008 7:25 pm UTC

That doesn't really answer my question though, I guess I should say, I thought anyone born to an American parent , or born on American Soil is automatically a natural born American citizen, because that covers being a "natural" citizen through blood, or simply being born in America.

Edit: OK having looked around some more, I finally found some things that say one can be a natural born citizen by birth, but both parents have to be American citizens.

frezik

Postby frezik » Tue Oct 21, 2008 7:34 pm UTC

22/7 wrote:You have to be a "natural-born citizen", if I remember correctly, to be eligible to run for the Presidency.

That's indeed the case, but the constitution doesn't specifically define what "natural-born" means. Does a child born abroad to two US parents get natural-born status? What about only one parent as a citizien? Here's a State Department rundown: http://www.state.gov/documents/organization/86757.pdf.

It looks like the State Department requires only one parent to hold citizenship:

Since 1790, there have been two prerequisites for transmitting U.S.
citizenship to children born abroad:
(1) At least one natural parent must have been a U.S. citizen when the
child was born. The only exception is for a posthumous child.
(2) The U.S. citizen parent(s) must have resided or been physically
present in the United States for the time required by the law in
effect when the child was born.

Edit: fixed quotes
I do not agree with the beer you drink, but will defend to the death your right to drink it

Pixel

Postby Pixel » Tue Oct 21, 2008 7:38 pm UTC

Act of 1795:
"And the children of citizens of the United States that may be born beyond sea, or outside the limits of the United States, shall be considered as natural born citizens."

So regardless of where he was born, Obama's mom was a US citizen and as such he is a natural born citizen.

Also for the record McCain was born outside the US, in Panama.
Some people have a genuine gift of poetry, a way with words that surpasses beauty and touches the deepest parts of one's soul... and some people, um, thingy.

"Less bite, more wobble"

lorenith

Postby lorenith » Tue Oct 21, 2008 7:40 pm UTC

Ok, so basically all the people going "Oh me yarm he can't be president he may have born in Kenya!"

Are just blowing a lot of hot air.

Good to know, since I'll be driving 600 miles to vote for him.

Also in the case of McCain being born in Panama, there's some act/law/whatever passed that automatically makes anyone born in Panama area place thing after 1904 (I think) an American citizen, so long as the parents are also American or something like that.

Briareos

Postby Briareos » Tue Oct 21, 2008 7:53 pm UTC

Yes, McCain was born in the Panama Canal Zone, which, if memory serves, was technically U.S. territory at the time. So he's eligible.
Sandry wrote:Bless you, Briareos.

Blriaraisghaasghoasufdpt.
Oregonaut wrote:Briareos is my new bestest friend.

Princess Marzipan

Postby Princess Marzipan » Tue Oct 21, 2008 8:19 pm UTC

Briareos wrote:Yes, McCain was born in the Panama Canal Zone, which, if memory serves, was technically U.S. territory at the time. So he's eligible.

Yeah, no one was disputing that; just stating that if you're pissed off that Obama was born outside the US, well, so was McCain, so shut up.
"It's Saturday night. I've got no date, a two-liter of Shasta, and my all-Rush mixtape. Let's rock!"
"I am just about to be brilliant!"
General_Norris, on feminism, wrote:If you lose your six Pokémon, you lost.

22/7

Postby 22/7 » Tue Oct 21, 2008 8:23 pm UTC

Also, apparently it doesn't matter either way, so whatever.

Steroid wrote:
bigglesworth wrote:If your economic reality is a choice, then why are you not as rich as Bill Gates?
Don't want to be.
I want to be!

Sarr

Postby Sarr » Tue Oct 21, 2008 8:57 pm UTC

frezik wrote:Just when you thought you were being a cynic to believe that the opposition would spin this in a negative light, politics goes ahead and tells you that you're actually a realist.
The comments on that page make me want to shoot myself.....
Rakysh wrote:Basically, xkcd is basically for punching into submission the dumb frat guy in your brain.

Mane
21th Century African?

Postby Mane » Tue Oct 21, 2008 10:21 pm UTC

Poor Obama. :(

Pixel

Postby Pixel » Tue Oct 21, 2008 10:28 pm UTC

lorenith wrote:Also in the case of McCain being born in Panama, there's some act/law/whatever passed that automatically makes anyone born in Panama area place thing after 1904 (I think) an American citizen, so long as the parents are also American or something like that.

From the Wikipedia Natural Born Citizen article:

"Any person born in the Canal Zone on or after February 26, 1904, and whether before or after the effective date of this chapter, whose father or mother or both at the time of the birth of such person was or is a citizen of the United States, is declared to be a citizen of the United States." The law that conferred this status took effect on August 4, 1937, one year after John McCain was born — albeit with retroactive effect, resulting in McCain being declared a U.S. citizen.

So at the time he was born in Panama the law wasn't in effect, so at the time he was subject to the same Act of 1795 that means where he was born is irrelevant because he had an American citizen for a parent.
Some people have a genuine gift of poetry, a way with words that surpasses beauty and touches the deepest parts of one's soul... and some people, um, thingy.

"Less bite, more wobble"

lorenith

Postby lorenith » Tue Oct 21, 2008 11:33 pm UTC

Yeah I know, it doesn't make a difference either way.

Also, the law is retroactive, so it doesn't matter it was passed after he was born, and it doesn't matter since both his parents were also American.

Lot's of doesn't matters.

Why are you addressing me about the panama thing again?

Chfan

Postby Chfan » Wed Oct 22, 2008 11:06 am UTC

Ugh. If there is a god, somebody's going to get smitten.
Just FYI, the guy isn't avatar isn't me. But he seems pretty cool.

Pixel

Postby Pixel » Wed Oct 22, 2008 12:09 pm UTC

lorenith wrote:Why are you addressing me about the panama thing again?

Not addressing you specifically, just trying to remove ambiguity from the discussion in general. You comments were simply a useful jumping off point. I'm mostly trying to head off any comparisons that McCain is somehow better or even functionally different in this regard before anyone brings them up.

"Less bite, more wobble"

Mercurius

Postby Mercurius » Wed Oct 22, 2008 12:20 pm UTC

frezik wrote:Just when you thought you were being a cynic to believe that the opposition would spin this in a negative light, politics goes ahead and tells you that you're actually a realist.

Ah the freepi. The same people who declared all black people are racist because Powell endorsed Obama.

(You see the logic, right? Obama is black and so is Powell and that is why Powell endorsed him. And Powell is doing the exact same thing every black person ever born would ever do, and thus, all black people are racist and should vote Republican because Lincoln freed their sorry asses. It makes perfect sense when you drink a Klein bottle of LSD)
You know, I'm not really sure what "socioeconomic class" I am. I'm richer than my parents, I don't have a real job, and my mannerisms tend to match up with whomever I'm talking to.

...is "con man" a social class?

Moo
Oh man! I'm going to be so rebellious! I'm gonna...

Postby Moo » Wed Oct 22, 2008 12:26 pm UTC

I almost puked my coffee all over my steering wheel. This morning on BBC London Radio Vanessa Felts had, as one of her talking points, is it right for Obama to suspend his campaign to go see his grandma on what might be her death bed. Is it right? Are you fucking kidding me??

For the record I only have that garbage on to get the traffic reports in the car.

One last thing, for some strange reason I really like the way you phrased this.
Pixel wrote:just trying to remove ambiguity from the discussion in general
Proverbs 9:7-8 wrote:Anyone who rebukes a mocker will get an insult in return. Anyone who corrects the wicked will get hurt. So don't bother correcting mockers; they will only hate you.
Hawknc wrote:FFT: I didn't realise Proverbs 9:7-8 was the first recorded instance of "haters gonna hate"

Mercurius

Postby Mercurius » Wed Oct 22, 2008 12:31 pm UTC

Moo wrote:I almost puked my coffee all over my steering wheel. This morning on BBC London Radio Vanessa Felts had, as one of her talking points, is it right for Obama to suspend his campaign to go see his grandma on what might be her death bed. Is it right? Are you fucking kidding me??

Well, Feltz has just confirmed my previous opinion of her, that of being a totally vacuous waste of space with all the self-awareness of a head-louse.
You know, I'm not really sure what "socioeconomic class" I am. I'm richer than my parents, I don't have a real job, and my mannerisms tend to match up with whomever I'm talking to.

22/7

Postby 22/7 » Wed Oct 22, 2008 12:54 pm UTC

Mercurius wrote:with all the self-awareness of a head-louse.
Easy, now. I happen to rather like my head-louse, and he is very self-aware.

Steroid wrote:
Don't want to be.
I want to be!

Mercurius

Postby Mercurius » Wed Oct 22, 2008 12:59 pm UTC

Then I commend him on overcoming his natural disadvantages.

Mercurius,
is head louse-ist.

Moo
Oh man! I'm going to be so rebellious! I'm gonna...

Postby Moo » Wed Oct 22, 2008 1:01 pm UTC

There is this awesome kids book I loved when I was little, about a head louse. He was an artist. He was called Vincent Van Gogga*. He was pretty self aware. And awesome.

*Gogga = slang for bug/insect/creepy crawly.

...please carry on.
Proverbs 9:7-8 wrote:Anyone who rebukes a mocker will get an insult in return. Anyone who corrects the wicked will get hurt. So don't bother correcting mockers; they will only hate you.
Hawknc wrote:FFT: I didn't realise Proverbs 9:7-8 was the first recorded instance of "haters gonna hate"

Mercurius

Postby Mercurius » Wed Oct 22, 2008 1:12 pm UTC

I also congratulate Von Gogga, for being more self-aware than Vanessa Feltz.

videogamesizzle

Postby videogamesizzle » Sat Oct 25, 2008 5:53 am UTC

Jesus. what kind of person is fooled by this? "his grandmother could be dying, OR he could be traveling to attend a secret terrorist conference where he will learn how to destroy America, destroy our faith and convert us to evil religions, and eat the constitution. "

and the comments. :x
Look at me still talking when there's SCIENCE to do!
Silvyr wrote:I fucking love cocaine. I wish I could buy it somewhere...

natraj

Postby natraj » Mon Oct 27, 2008 5:04 am UTC

videogamesizzle wrote:

Jesus. what kind of person is fooled by this? "his grandmother could be dying, OR he could be traveling to attend a secret terrorist conference where he will learn how to destroy America, destroy our faith and convert us to evil religions, and eat the constitution. "

... seriously? It's the freepers. This is par for the course over there.

Sometimes I read them just for pure amusement value :D
You want to know the future, love? Then wait:
I'll answer your impatient questions. Still --
They'll call it chance, or luck, or call it Fate,
The cards and stars that tumble as they will.

pronouns: they or he

armandtanzarian

Postby armandtanzarian » Mon Oct 27, 2008 7:21 am UTC

natraj wrote:
videogamesizzle wrote:

... seriously? It's the freepers. This is par for the course over there.

Sometimes I read them just for pure amusement value :D

How you can be amused by such utter ignorance and bile is just b-

*remembers he reads FSTDT*

Ok, carry on.

Noc
Put on her robe and wizard hat ALL NIGHT LONG

Postby Noc » Tue Nov 04, 2008 12:52 am UTC

So today, this was pointed out to me.
And the first image that popped into my head was this. It's pretty uncanny, and is worth a chuckle.

Then I heard about this.

. . .

I think I'm scared.
Have you given up?

Alias

Postby Alias » Tue Nov 04, 2008 12:59 am UTC

apparenlty fox referred to her death as "convenient"
GENERATION 20: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

clintonius

Postby clintonius » Tue Nov 04, 2008 1:04 am UTC

I was wondering how long it would take for accusations of this being a publicity stunt to start up.
kira wrote:*piles up some limbs and blood and a couple hearts for good measure*
GUYS. I MADE A HUMAN.
*...pokes at it with a stick*

videogamesizzle

Postby videogamesizzle » Tue Nov 04, 2008 2:26 am UTC

clintonius wrote:I was wondering how long it would take for accusations of this being a publicity stunt to start up.

instantly. that's how it works with these people.

"his grandmother died the day before the election... coincidence??? I THINK NOT!!!!!"
Look at me still talking when there's SCIENCE to do!
Silvyr wrote:I fucking love cocaine. I wish I could buy it somewhere...

Liet Kynes

Postby Liet Kynes » Tue Nov 04, 2008 2:48 am UTC

Quixotess wrote:Sadness.

Robert Gibbs told reporters aboard Obama's plane that Madelyn Payne Dunham, who helped raise Obama, was released from the hospital late last week. But he said her health had deteriorated "to the point where her situation is very serious."

Events originally planned for Madison, Wis., and Des Moines, Iowa, on Thursday will be replaced by one in Indianapolis before he makes the long flight to Hawaii. On Friday, Obama's wife, Michelle, will sub for Obama at rallies in Akron and Columbus, in Ohio, said campaign spokeswoman Jen Psaki. Obama was expected to resume campaigning on Saturday, at an undecided location in the West, she said.

Talk about stress upon stress. I don't know if this will help him (sympathy) or hurt him (distraction). Either way, I hope she's able to hang on, and I hope they get to say what they want to say to each other.

I think either way he would be furthering his campaign. If he hadn't taken the days off he would be campaigning anyway. Since he did it humanized him making him more appealing to voters who have been through similar tragedy's.

Neon Rain

Postby Neon Rain » Tue Nov 04, 2008 3:46 am UTC

The guy's grandmother just died for gods sake. Can't we just for once leave politics out of this and just say something like "That's sad"?

Its far too late for it to have any effect on the election anyway.

Malice

Postby Malice » Tue Nov 04, 2008 8:38 am UTC

Obviously this is terribly sad. But you have to feel just a little bit sorry for McCain, too. In most election years, he would have had a much better shot at winning; this time he's running against the bastard love child of Jesus and Superman. And the guy's grandmother died right before the election. I mean, talk about a stacked deck.

22/7

Postby 22/7 » Tue Nov 04, 2008 2:35 pm UTC

Neon Rain wrote:Its far too late for it to have any effect on the election anyway.
AHAHAHAHAHAHA.

Sorry, continue.
Noc wrote:So today, this was pointed out to me.
And the first image that popped into my head was this. It's pretty uncanny, and is worth a chuckle.

Then I heard about this.

. . .

I think I'm scared.
Wait, why are you scared?

Steroid wrote:
Don't want to be.
I want to be!

Return to “News & Articles”