Caught out on Facebook - Another One

Seen something interesting in the news or on the intertubes? Discuss it here.

Moderators: Zamfir, Hawknc, Moderators General, Prelates

User avatar
GhostWolfe
Broken wings and scattered feathers
Posts: 3892
Joined: Fri May 11, 2007 11:56 am UTC
Location: Brisbane, Aust
Contact:

Caught out on Facebook - Another One

Postby GhostWolfe » Thu Oct 23, 2008 6:38 am UTC

People being caught out for various things they put on Facebook is nothing new, but this one deserves a special mention for being especially stupid.

The Article wrote:Kyle Doyle, a 21-year-old resolutions expert for telecommunications firm AAPT, bragged about his day off on the social networking site while telling his employer he was away for "medical reasons".

But he was found out when his boss spotted this Facebook profile update on the day in question, August 21: "Kyle Doyle is not going to work, f*** it I'm still trashed. SICKIE WOO!"


Apparently, he was told to provide a medical certificate and tried to argue that he didn't need one as he only took a single day off. The manager then emailed him a screenshot of the status message, to which he replied: "HAHAHA LMAO epic fail".

/angell
Linguistic Anarchist
Hawknc: ANGELL IS SERIOUS BUSINESS :-[
lesliesage: Animals dunked in crude oil: sad. Animals dunked in boiling oil: tasty.
Belial: I was in your mom's room all night committing to a series of extended military actions.

User avatar
Zamfir
I built a novelty castle, the irony was lost on some.
Posts: 7606
Joined: Wed Aug 27, 2008 2:43 pm UTC
Location: Nederland

Re: Caught out on Facebook - Another One

Postby Zamfir » Thu Oct 23, 2008 7:35 am UTC

What's a resolution expert?

Nemiro
Posts: 123
Joined: Thu May 22, 2008 8:39 pm UTC
Contact:

Re: Caught out on Facebook - Another One

Postby Nemiro » Thu Oct 23, 2008 7:55 am UTC

Maybe someone who provides... resolutions? (When it has a meaning similar to "solution")
Joshua wrote:GREETINGS, PROFESSOR FALKEN.

Spam here please

User avatar
Zamfir
I built a novelty castle, the irony was lost on some.
Posts: 7606
Joined: Wed Aug 27, 2008 2:43 pm UTC
Location: Nederland

Re: Caught out on Facebook - Another One

Postby Zamfir » Thu Oct 23, 2008 8:02 am UTC

And what does that mean? It sounds suspiciously much like the guy was working on a help desk, in which case "resolutions expert" is the most blown-up work description I have heard in along time.

User avatar
Hawknc
Oompa Loompa of SCIENCE!
Posts: 6986
Joined: Mon Oct 02, 2006 5:14 am UTC
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Contact:

Re: Caught out on Facebook - Another One

Postby Hawknc » Thu Oct 23, 2008 8:43 am UTC

I got this in my inbox twice at work today. Everyone gets their 15 minutes I guess...

psyck0
Posts: 1651
Joined: Wed Mar 19, 2008 5:58 pm UTC
Contact:

Re: Caught out on Facebook - Another One

Postby psyck0 » Thu Oct 23, 2008 1:35 pm UTC

What kind of idiot friends people from work on their Facebook, especially their boss?

User avatar
22/7
I'm pretty sure I have "The Slavery In My Asshole" on DVD.
Posts: 6475
Joined: Fri Jul 06, 2007 3:30 pm UTC
Location: 127.0.0.1

Re: Caught out on Facebook - Another One

Postby 22/7 » Thu Oct 23, 2008 1:53 pm UTC

psyck0 wrote:What kind of idiot friends people from work on their Facebook, especially their boss?
Probably the kind of idiot that uses Facebook as a social networking site. The real question is, what kind of idiot has friends on Facebook at work and decides to brag about not going into work because they're hung over on Facebook? Clearly, the answer is this guy.
Totally not a hypothetical...

Steroid wrote:
bigglesworth wrote:If your economic reality is a choice, then why are you not as rich as Bill Gates?
Don't want to be.
I want to be!

michael24easilybored
Posts: 144
Joined: Tue Jun 17, 2008 2:32 pm UTC

Re: Caught out on Facebook - Another One

Postby michael24easilybored » Thu Oct 23, 2008 1:57 pm UTC

I wonder how common it is for people to have one facebook page for their real friends and another for their work people?

That would be quite a good way to suck up to your boss actually (thinking 'michael is burning the midnight oil for tomorrows important presentation' status updates on one and 'michael is 2 druk to tipe and had hsi gf wrhte his worj facebok status hahaha!!1 the bstards' on the other)

User avatar
oxoiron
Posts: 1365
Joined: Fri Jul 13, 2007 4:56 pm UTC

Re: Caught out on Facebook - Another One

Postby oxoiron » Thu Oct 23, 2008 3:04 pm UTC

That works until you are so drnuk you post on the wrong one.
"Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to reform (or pause and reflect)."-- Mark Twain
"There is not more dedicated criminal than a group of children."--addams

GreaterSteven
Posts: 110
Joined: Thu Apr 24, 2008 1:23 am UTC

Re: Caught out on Facebook - Another One

Postby GreaterSteven » Thu Oct 23, 2008 11:44 pm UTC

To me it's frustrating that it's come to having to make two separate social networking sites, one for work one for personal.

I KNOW it's public information and all, but to me it just seems like a huge breach in privacy when employers/potential employers can check out your myspace/facebook.

User avatar
lorenith
Posts: 1123
Joined: Sat Jul 14, 2007 3:35 am UTC
Location: Transient
Contact:

Re: Caught out on Facebook - Another One

Postby lorenith » Thu Oct 23, 2008 11:58 pm UTC

It's not a breach of privacy if you put it there to be seen.

GreaterSteven
Posts: 110
Joined: Thu Apr 24, 2008 1:23 am UTC

Re: Caught out on Facebook - Another One

Postby GreaterSteven » Fri Oct 24, 2008 2:28 am UTC

lorenith wrote:It's not a breach of privacy if you put it there to be seen.



Did you just, like, not read my post?

Try again.

User avatar
lorenith
Posts: 1123
Joined: Sat Jul 14, 2007 3:35 am UTC
Location: Transient
Contact:

Re: Caught out on Facebook - Another One

Postby lorenith » Fri Oct 24, 2008 2:35 am UTC

I did read your post, you seem to think it's a breach of privacy to be able to look at people in public spaces, which is ridiculous. If you don't want the wrong eyes to see something then don't post it in such a way that they'll recognize you as the one who posted it.

GreaterSteven
Posts: 110
Joined: Thu Apr 24, 2008 1:23 am UTC

Re: Caught out on Facebook - Another One

Postby GreaterSteven » Fri Oct 24, 2008 5:27 am UTC

GreaterSteven wrote:To me it's frustrating that it's come to having to make two separate social networking sites, one for work one for personal.

I KNOW it's public information and all, but to me it just seems like a huge breach in privacy when employers/potential employers can check out your myspace/facebook.



Your point was acknowledged.

Princess Marzipan
Posts: 7717
Joined: Sun May 27, 2007 5:28 am UTC
Location: neither a road, nor an island

Re: Caught out on Facebook - Another One

Postby Princess Marzipan » Fri Oct 24, 2008 6:18 am UTC

Yeah, it feels kind of like someone driving by your house to see if your car's in the driveway, to make sure you're really home sick.
"It's Saturday night. I've got no date, a two-liter of Shasta, and my all-Rush mixtape. Let's rock!"
"I am just about to be brilliant!"
General_Norris, on feminism, wrote:If you lose your six Pokémon, you lost.

User avatar
qinwamascot
Posts: 688
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 8:50 am UTC
Location: Oklahoma, U.S.A.

Re: Caught out on Facebook - Another One

Postby qinwamascot » Fri Oct 24, 2008 6:39 am UTC

If you're worried about privacy, don't friend your employers or don't post sensitive info. It's not too hard and you probably should follow the latter anyway.
Quiznos>Subway

User avatar
Uber_Apple
Posts: 134
Joined: Wed Aug 20, 2008 10:07 am UTC

Re: Caught out on Facebook - Another One

Postby Uber_Apple » Fri Oct 24, 2008 9:45 am UTC

Many people feel the NEED to let others know that they have sensitive problems but not actually talk about them properly.

e.g. Their status: I fucked up again :(
you: Is something wrong? what's this about?
them: stop being so nosey and trying to interfere!!
you: well why put that as your status if you don't want people to ask?

oh well i guess people will always be wierd.

User avatar
22/7
I'm pretty sure I have "The Slavery In My Asshole" on DVD.
Posts: 6475
Joined: Fri Jul 06, 2007 3:30 pm UTC
Location: 127.0.0.1

Re: Caught out on Facebook - Another One

Postby 22/7 » Fri Oct 24, 2008 12:39 pm UTC

Nougatrocity wrote:Yeah, it feels kind of like someone driving by your house to see if your car's in the driveway, to make sure you're really home sick.
I disagree. I think it's more along the lines of happening to be out at lunch and seeing someone who has called in sick shopping at the mall or something. With all the things that he could have quite easily done to keep this from happening, coupled with the way he responded to being caught, it makes me think he either intended to be found out or that he just didn't care.
Totally not a hypothetical...

Steroid wrote:
bigglesworth wrote:If your economic reality is a choice, then why are you not as rich as Bill Gates?
Don't want to be.
I want to be!

User avatar
oxoiron
Posts: 1365
Joined: Fri Jul 13, 2007 4:56 pm UTC

Re: Caught out on Facebook - Another One

Postby oxoiron » Fri Oct 24, 2008 3:45 pm UTC

How about leaving jail on a work-release and going to a baseball game only to run into one of the deputies on his day off? :lol:
"Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to reform (or pause and reflect)."-- Mark Twain
"There is not more dedicated criminal than a group of children."--addams

Princess Marzipan
Posts: 7717
Joined: Sun May 27, 2007 5:28 am UTC
Location: neither a road, nor an island

Re: Caught out on Facebook - Another One

Postby Princess Marzipan » Fri Oct 24, 2008 4:45 pm UTC

22/7 wrote:
Nougatrocity wrote:Yeah, it feels kind of like someone driving by your house to see if your car's in the driveway, to make sure you're really home sick.
I disagree. I think it's more along the lines of happening to be out at lunch and seeing someone who has called in sick shopping at the mall or something. With all the things that he could have quite easily done to keep this from happening, coupled with the way he responded to being caught, it makes me think he either intended to be found out or that he just didn't care.


It's not quite like either of those, really.

I just really strongly feel that your job shouldn't be able to use that kind of information against you. Obviously part of that requirements a little forethought and that you DON'T make such profiles visible to everyone or to people from your job, but...

Well, Comic 137.
"It's Saturday night. I've got no date, a two-liter of Shasta, and my all-Rush mixtape. Let's rock!"
"I am just about to be brilliant!"
General_Norris, on feminism, wrote:If you lose your six Pokémon, you lost.

User avatar
22/7
I'm pretty sure I have "The Slavery In My Asshole" on DVD.
Posts: 6475
Joined: Fri Jul 06, 2007 3:30 pm UTC
Location: 127.0.0.1

Re: Caught out on Facebook - Another One

Postby 22/7 » Fri Oct 24, 2008 4:50 pm UTC

Nougatrocity wrote:It's not quite like either of those, really.

I just really strongly feel that your job shouldn't be able to use that kind of information against you. Obviously part of that requirements a little forethought and that you DON'T make such profiles visible to everyone or to people from your job, but...

Well, Comic 137.
I guess I just wonder what you mean by that. Do you mean that they shouldn't be able to cite it as a reason for termination, or do you mean that they shouldn't be able to look at that kind of thing to determine whether or not you're hireable? I guess I'm just asking you to expand that a little.
Totally not a hypothetical...

Steroid wrote:
bigglesworth wrote:If your economic reality is a choice, then why are you not as rich as Bill Gates?
Don't want to be.
I want to be!

User avatar
Jessica
Jessica, you're a ...
Posts: 8337
Joined: Tue Oct 23, 2007 8:57 pm UTC
Location: Soviet Canuckistan

Re: Caught out on Facebook - Another One

Postby Jessica » Fri Oct 24, 2008 5:14 pm UTC

The way I see it:
If I were hungover, I could goto work. I'd probably do a shitty job, but I could do it.
Or I could stay home. use one of the 10 allotted sick days, that I rarely use anyway, and be better for the next day.

Yes, I could have also chosen not to drink, but well, I'm my own person after work. And, unless my job preformance is actually affected, I see no reason it should be brought up.

Yes, the guy essentially was caught redhanded taking a sick day when he wasn't really sick. It happens. He might get fired, he might not. Actually, the funny thing is, he was hungover. While it's self induced, he was still sick. He wasn't operating at peak efficiency.

I hate that some jobs (probably mine included) will check things like facebook, or other non-work related things to see how you're doing. It's within their right to look up public information. They can do it. It just feels... bad.
doogly wrote:On a scale of Mr Rogers to Fascism, how mean do you think we're being?
Belial wrote:My goal is to be the best brain infection any of you have ever had.

Princess Marzipan
Posts: 7717
Joined: Sun May 27, 2007 5:28 am UTC
Location: neither a road, nor an island

Re: Caught out on Facebook - Another One

Postby Princess Marzipan » Fri Oct 24, 2008 5:25 pm UTC

22/7: Both.

It is a tremendous collision between you private life and your personal life. Now, if you are adding people from work, especially bosses, to such networks, no, you shouldn't be surprised if you get bitten in the ass. However, sometimes a company will actively seek out such information from profiles that are public. In those cases, it IS just like driving by your house to see if your car is in the driveway. Both things take effort to discover, even though one takes significantly less.

And even if you say there's nothing wrong with a company catching someone in a lie about a sick day, because you can just write it off as "wow that guy is dumb" or "wow this why you take fake sick days SMART-like", what if it's something less obvious, like you having a status message that you're really stressed out about your job and you're not sure you can handle it much longer? Is that justifiable reason to have a company psychiatrist examine you, or for the company to search for a replacement for you? A company I worked with noticed the facebook profile of someone they were dealing with another company; my former boss was 'eccentric' and made a joking comment about the middle finger which was apparent on this person's facebook profile. That ended up resulting in actual disciplinary action for the poor girl! And this wasn't a case where someone was searching for dirt; it's like saying you ran into a person the other day and they were wearing a Ku Klux Klan outfit, and someone decided that violates company policy now that they know about it.

Regarding being hung over, the one time I called out sick at one of my previous jobs, I called out hung over. Fortunately my boss was cool enough that I COULD call out hung over, and not 'sick.' But that brings up another point - if you are hung over to the point where you can't work efficiently, is it not better to call out sick? Obviously it's best not to GET hung over in the first place, but that really only affects company business if it becomes frequent and problematic.
"It's Saturday night. I've got no date, a two-liter of Shasta, and my all-Rush mixtape. Let's rock!"
"I am just about to be brilliant!"
General_Norris, on feminism, wrote:If you lose your six Pokémon, you lost.

Rysto
Posts: 1460
Joined: Wed Mar 21, 2007 4:07 am UTC

Re: Caught out on Facebook - Another One

Postby Rysto » Fri Oct 24, 2008 6:19 pm UTC

Jessica wrote:Yes, I could have also chosen not to drink, but well, I'm my own person after work. And, unless my job preformance is actually affected, I see no reason it should be brought up.

If your job performance is affected? Like, for example, if you miss a day because you're too hungover to go to work?

User avatar
22/7
I'm pretty sure I have "The Slavery In My Asshole" on DVD.
Posts: 6475
Joined: Fri Jul 06, 2007 3:30 pm UTC
Location: 127.0.0.1

Re: Caught out on Facebook - Another One

Postby 22/7 » Fri Oct 24, 2008 6:30 pm UTC

Rysto wrote:
Jessica wrote:Yes, I could have also chosen not to drink, but well, I'm my own person after work. And, unless my job preformance is actually affected, I see no reason it should be brought up.
If your job performance is affected? Like, for example, if you miss a day because you're too hungover to go to work?
Pretty much my thoughts exactly.
@Noug: I guess my issue with taking this guy's side in this particular case was that he'd intentionally built that bridge between personal and professional life by adding people from work/boss/whomever to his personal account. Imagine if in the previous KKK member example, he'd invited you (as a coworker/boss) to the rally. This is, I feel, the correct equivalent to this situation.
Totally not a hypothetical...

Steroid wrote:
bigglesworth wrote:If your economic reality is a choice, then why are you not as rich as Bill Gates?
Don't want to be.
I want to be!

User avatar
Jessica
Jessica, you're a ...
Posts: 8337
Joined: Tue Oct 23, 2007 8:57 pm UTC
Location: Soviet Canuckistan

Re: Caught out on Facebook - Another One

Postby Jessica » Fri Oct 24, 2008 8:31 pm UTC

22/7 wrote:
Rysto wrote:
Jessica wrote:Yes, I could have also chosen not to drink, but well, I'm my own person after work. And, unless my job preformance is actually affected, I see no reason it should be brought up.
If your job performance is affected? Like, for example, if you miss a day because you're too hungover to go to work?
Pretty much my thoughts exactly.

So, if I were sick with the flu, I should come in because my job preformance was impacted by my getting sick? If it's just the sick day that's impacting then either way it's impacting my job preformance.
If nothing else changes, then the two are equivalent.
doogly wrote:On a scale of Mr Rogers to Fascism, how mean do you think we're being?
Belial wrote:My goal is to be the best brain infection any of you have ever had.

Rysto
Posts: 1460
Joined: Wed Mar 21, 2007 4:07 am UTC

Re: Caught out on Facebook - Another One

Postby Rysto » Fri Oct 24, 2008 8:35 pm UTC

You can't help getting sick. You can choose not to get drunk. There's a huge difference.

User avatar
Belial
A terrible sound heard from a distance
Posts: 30450
Joined: Sat Apr 15, 2006 4:04 am UTC
Contact:

Re: Caught out on Facebook - Another One

Postby Belial » Fri Oct 24, 2008 9:14 pm UTC

And you can also take a sick day just because. There's no need to prove you were sick, at least at most jobs I've been to.
addams wrote:A drunk neighbor is better than a sober Belial.


They/them

User avatar
natraj
Posts: 1895
Joined: Wed Oct 17, 2007 10:13 pm UTC
Location: away from Omelas

Re: Caught out on Facebook - Another One

Postby natraj » Fri Oct 24, 2008 9:23 pm UTC

Belial wrote:And you can also take a sick day just because. There's no need to prove you were sick, at least at most jobs I've been to.


Yes, exactly. It doesn't matter if it was self-induced or if you're even not sick. You get an allotted number of sick days and you can use them however you feel like. If you use them when you're not sick and then you get sick and you've run out, you've screwed yourself; if you use them when you still have plenty left over, it's none of their business why you needed it.
You want to know the future, love? Then wait:
I'll answer your impatient questions. Still --
They'll call it chance, or luck, or call it Fate,
The cards and stars that tumble as they will.

pronouns: they or he

User avatar
Jessica
Jessica, you're a ...
Posts: 8337
Joined: Tue Oct 23, 2007 8:57 pm UTC
Location: Soviet Canuckistan

Re: Caught out on Facebook - Another One

Postby Jessica » Fri Oct 24, 2008 9:59 pm UTC

Exactly.
Just because it's considered poor form to use all your sickdays for non-sickness related issues, and often you're required to get a doctor's note if you're gone for more than one day, most companies seem to assume that every now and again you'll take a sick day, for some reason. It could be a mental health day. It could be the flu. And, it could be a hangover day.

As long as, outside that one day you take away from the office, your work is not impacted, it doesn't matter what was the reason for that lost day. In my opinion. Technically companies will enforce that, but that's not me.
doogly wrote:On a scale of Mr Rogers to Fascism, how mean do you think we're being?
Belial wrote:My goal is to be the best brain infection any of you have ever had.

Heft
Posts: 20
Joined: Thu Oct 16, 2008 11:35 pm UTC

Re: Caught out on Facebook - Another One

Postby Heft » Sat Oct 25, 2008 2:40 am UTC

In this particular case, it may not be so much that he took a sick day when he wasn't "sick," but that he actually lied to his boss about it. Also, given the nature of his reply, it's a good bet he wasn't a model employee to begin with, and probably not the boss's favorite, exactly.

User avatar
lorenith
Posts: 1123
Joined: Sat Jul 14, 2007 3:35 am UTC
Location: Transient
Contact:

Re: Caught out on Facebook - Another One

Postby lorenith » Sat Oct 25, 2008 3:55 am UTC

He may have gotten cut loose because of his attitude over the whole thing, maybe that was the last straw at his work, who knows.

User avatar
Rinsaikeru
Pawn, soon to be a Queen
Posts: 2166
Joined: Wed Aug 27, 2008 5:26 am UTC
Location: Toronto
Contact:

Re: Caught out on Facebook - Another One

Postby Rinsaikeru » Sat Oct 25, 2008 4:02 am UTC

I can see both sides of this:

If the guy has allotted sick days, how he uses them is up to him and using them for a hangover is valid.

It's both stupid and rude to gloat over it on facebook when your employer can find out about it on there. Facebook isn't private, your status should be neutral enough that ANY of the people you have friended can read it without causing any trouble, and block all others from seeing your profile.
Rice Puddin.

User avatar
armandtanzarian
Posts: 170
Joined: Sat Oct 18, 2008 6:17 am UTC
Location: Des Moines, IA
Contact:

Re: Caught out on Facebook - Another One

Postby armandtanzarian » Sat Oct 25, 2008 7:36 pm UTC

Spoiler:
Image

Yup, he's an idiot.

User avatar
Flying Betty
Posts: 1147
Joined: Tue Jul 10, 2007 9:25 am UTC
Location: Next Tuesday

Re: Caught out on Facebook - Another One

Postby Flying Betty » Sun Oct 26, 2008 2:00 pm UTC

If you friended your boss, then you have to realize that he/she might be reading your status and couch things accordingly. I don't like the idea of my boss stalking my profile to ensure that I really am sick, but if he can read it I know there's a chance that he will. Bosses checking people out on facebook before hiring them seems a bit more of a privacy violation to me- unless my boss went to my school he should not be able to see my profile, but again I realized that it was probably going to happen anyways and made sure there wasn't anything terribly incriminating on there.

As for hangover days, it depends on how your sick leave is given out. If you have so many dedicated sicks days allotted, or if your vacation/sick time is all in one lump and you have to save up vacation time in case you get sick, then I would say that the hours are yours to use. It's still kind of an asshole thing to do. But in my case I don't have specific sick time. The policy is something along the lines of "sick days can be taken within reason" and they don't come out of your vacation time and you don't have to limit yourself to a specific number (though I think they do keep tabs on how many you take). But in this case I feel a lot guiltier about being "sick" than I would if I was given the sick time in advance. Since the time wasn't assumed to be mine already, then taking off is screwing the company out of my work that day. I don't begrudge myself the occasional mental health day, but I don't feel like I can fake sick like I did sometimes in high school.
Belial wrote:The future is here, and it is cyberpunk as hell.

User avatar
lorenith
Posts: 1123
Joined: Sat Jul 14, 2007 3:35 am UTC
Location: Transient
Contact:

Re: Caught out on Facebook - Another One

Postby lorenith » Sun Oct 26, 2008 4:57 pm UTC

It seems the policy for this guys workplace is much like the difference between an excused and unexcused absence from school, cough up a doctors note or else.

User avatar
Kabann
Posts: 270
Joined: Sun Dec 23, 2007 8:33 am UTC
Location: 30.5254XX / -97.8344XX

Re: Caught out on Facebook - Another One

Postby Kabann » Sun Oct 26, 2008 5:18 pm UTC

Call me old fashioned, but the problem as I see it...

1. My private life is my business.
2. I'm going to post all the details of my private life on the web so others can see it all the time, because I thrive on attention.
3. Hey, maybe some of what I post could get me in trouble in some way.
4. Oh well, it couldn't happen to me!
My goal in life is to have money, power, fame, wisdom, and love.
So far, I've got a sense of humor.
It's a good start.

User avatar
22/7
I'm pretty sure I have "The Slavery In My Asshole" on DVD.
Posts: 6475
Joined: Fri Jul 06, 2007 3:30 pm UTC
Location: 127.0.0.1

Re: Caught out on Facebook - Another One

Postby 22/7 » Mon Oct 27, 2008 2:08 pm UTC

Jessica wrote:
22/7 wrote:
Rysto wrote:
Jessica wrote:Yes, I could have also chosen not to drink, but well, I'm my own person after work. And, unless my job preformance is actually affected, I see no reason it should be brought up.
If your job performance is affected? Like, for example, if you miss a day because you're too hungover to go to work?
Pretty much my thoughts exactly.
So, if I were sick with the flu, I should come in because my job preformance was impacted by my getting sick? If it's just the sick day that's impacting then either way it's impacting my job preformance.
If nothing else changes, then the two are equivalent.
You're missing the point. Missing any work at all affects your job performance, so saying that "getting trashed and not being able to go to work doesn't affect my job performance" is faulty reasoning. And yes, your personal time is yours to do with as you please as long as it doesn't affect your job performance. Which is why you can drive to Canada tonight and party until... you have to be back at work at 8 in the morning. Saying that your personal life is none of your company's business is dodging the whole "quality of work" question.
Totally not a hypothetical...

Steroid wrote:
bigglesworth wrote:If your economic reality is a choice, then why are you not as rich as Bill Gates?
Don't want to be.
I want to be!

GreaterSteven
Posts: 110
Joined: Thu Apr 24, 2008 1:23 am UTC

Re: Caught out on Facebook - Another One

Postby GreaterSteven » Mon Oct 27, 2008 3:19 pm UTC

Ok, here's something.

Are we all in agreement that your work should not actively monitor your private life?

What I'm saying is, if person A had not had a facebook (or it was left unmonitored) there would not have been a problem with them taking a sick day. They probably wouldn't've even been asked about it.

So person A could easily delete their facebook (and suffer for the loss of contact with people who might be accessible only through facebook) and get away with it. I just think that's a little unfair.

I mean, who doesn't complain about their job every once and awhile? Who doesn't feel like crap and post about not wanting to go to work? It's normal, as far as I understand it. And now they monitor that and penalize you.

Note that I'm only talking about the company monitoring WITHOUT being added. This guy's an idiot, no doubt about that. The second you add your boss is the second he can look at your facebook without any qualm from me.

User avatar
Izawwlgood
WINNING
Posts: 18686
Joined: Mon Nov 19, 2007 3:55 pm UTC
Location: There may be lovelier lovelies...

Re: Caught out on Facebook - Another One

Postby Izawwlgood » Mon Oct 27, 2008 4:49 pm UTC

I think you should assume that anything anyone can access, will get accessed, and will cause you problems. I've changed my cell phone answering machine when applying for jobs, so it doesn't shout "WAAAA THE ZOMBIES ARE EATING MY FLESH LEAVE A MESSAGE AND HEEEEEEELP!" but instead "Hi, you've reached the voice mail box of blahblahblahblah, please leave a message". I've removed pictures from facebook that I didn't want circulating.

Theres a world of difference between work 'monitoring your personal life' a la cameras in your home, and work making sure the employees they pay aren't buffoons who are actively trying to deceive the employers. This was not a case of spying on an employee, or discriminating against an employee because of life decisions.

I know it pains many people here to consider, but there is a professional world that has a set of standards. Those standards may be ridiculous, and it may be cool to rile against them, but if you want to maintain a job or a position within that framework, you've got to abide by the standards. That means instead of coming to work with a punk ass mohawk and smelling of whiskey, you wear a Homer Simpson tie and drink from a mug that says "Fuel for Smarts"

Shame on this idiot for A) posting his personal life along side with his professional, B) lying to his employer with a shallow and easily detectable lie and C) being a zoomtard and thinking he could get away with such idiocy
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.


Return to “News & Articles”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 24 guests