Caught out on Facebook - Another One

Seen something interesting in the news or on the intertubes? Discuss it here.

Moderators: Zamfir, Hawknc, Moderators General, Prelates

Intercept

Re: Caught out on Facebook - Another One

Postby Intercept » Sun Nov 02, 2008 6:12 pm UTC

Wow, Steven, I pointed out an exact reason why references wouldn't necessarily work, and you completely ignored it. Touche. Also, Freakish didn't contradict himself. He said he didn't like it, but he would do it and as such is fine with people doing it to him.
"I've always supported pudding, even when it was politically unpopular to do so."-Bill Nye Video

EsotericWombat
Colorful Orator

Postby EsotericWombat » Sun Nov 02, 2008 6:17 pm UTC

He never said he was fine with people doing it to him.

Also, a two year gap in employment usually results in the person not getting the job.

Freakish

Postby Freakish » Sun Nov 02, 2008 6:28 pm UTC

There's nothing contradicting with what I said. It's in the best interest of the employer to know as much as possible with in legal limits.

-ninja'd
Freakish Inc. We completely understand the public’s concern about futuristic robots feeding on the human population

Intercept

Postby Intercept » Sun Nov 02, 2008 6:32 pm UTC

EsotericWombat wrote:He never said he was fine with people doing it to him.

Also, a two year gap in employment usually results in the person not getting the job.

It was implied. Both people have a two year gap though, they are both very qualified, and they both have reasons for that unemployment.
"I've always supported pudding, even when it was politically unpopular to do so."-Bill Nye Video

EsotericWombat
Colorful Orator

Postby EsotericWombat » Sun Nov 02, 2008 6:46 pm UTC

You're reaching. But in that extraordinarily unlikely set of circumstances, that's something to ask about in an interview.

Intercept

Postby Intercept » Sun Nov 02, 2008 7:03 pm UTC

How is it reaching? We have to consider all things equal for this to be a valid argument. It doesn't have to be two years, it could be two weeks, the point is, people can change between jobs, and these changes can be bad. Also, just because something hasn't happened doesn't mean it won't. Risk is a perfectly acceptable factor to consider when hiring someone, and anyone who is arguing otherwise is ridiculous.

EsotericWombat
Colorful Orator

Postby EsotericWombat » Sun Nov 02, 2008 7:26 pm UTC

What I'm saying is that the circumstance you're talking about is fairly bizarre, and if it were the case, then the only person who can account for whether or not they'd be a risk is the prospective employee. I mean, he probably has personal references, but I can see how those might not be seen as reliable.

And are you really saying that you'd be worried about someone becoming a problem drinker in two weeks' time?

Intercept

Postby Intercept » Sun Nov 02, 2008 7:29 pm UTC

No, but he could start on his path in that time. Or he could have had his wife leave him. Who knows? But really it was just an exaggeration, as you seemed to have a problem with two years. Would two months be more reasonable?

EsotericWombat
Colorful Orator

Postby EsotericWombat » Sun Nov 02, 2008 7:34 pm UTC

What I'm saying is that if there's doubt about that, you ask the person in the interview and see if you believe him. Anyways, what I'm suggesting wouldn't preclude such a hiring decision. If it comes down to two equally qualified candidates, it's more or less impossible to push a claim in terms of equal opportunity employment law. And if a case was pushed, the company would have a strong case to make in its defense, which would probably result in it getting kicked at summary judgment.

GreaterSteven

Postby GreaterSteven » Sun Nov 02, 2008 11:31 pm UTC

Intercept wrote:Wow, Steven, I pointed out an exact reason why references wouldn't necessarily work, and you completely ignored it. Touche. Also, Freakish didn't contradict himself. He said he didn't like it, but he would do it and as such is fine with people doing it to him.

I uh, commented that you could ask the employee (possible employee) or if you REALLY wanted to get on their facebook, request an add!

I guess that's not really addressing what to do if the personal references don't come through. My mistake.

Edit:

Also, Freakish did not contradict myself. I apologize. He was just being a hypocrite (I don't want people doing it to me, but I'd do it to people).

yoni45

Postby yoni45 » Mon Nov 03, 2008 3:49 am UTC

GreaterSteven wrote:Also, Freakish did not contradict myself. I apologize. He was just being a hypocrite (I don't want people doing it to me, but I'd do it to people).

I wouldn't say that's necessarily hypocritical - all that says is that he doesn't *want* something done to him, not necessarily that it shouldn't be done, which does not go against doing it to "other" people.

You might not *want* your significant other to dump you, but that doesn't preclude you from doing it yourself should you feel it's necessary.
I sell LSAT courses and LSAT course accessories. Admittedly, we're still working on the accessories.

Intercept

Postby Intercept » Mon Nov 03, 2008 4:29 am UTC

Nor does it mean you think it is wrong and should be punishable by law.

22/7
I'm pretty sure I have "The Slavery In My Asshole" on DVD.

Postby 22/7 » Mon Nov 03, 2008 3:36 pm UTC

GreaterSteven wrote:
Freakish wrote:I wouldn't want it done to me, but if I was an employer I would definitely google the names who ever applied for the job. Some people are going to have personal lives that effect their professional.
I don't even have to point out a contradiction. You gone done it for me.
Absolutely not. I don't want to pay taxes, that doesn't mean I'm against taxes being levied against myself and others. I understand why they are necessary, but if it were feasible, I'd rather not have to pay them.
Totally not a hypothetical...

Steroid wrote:
bigglesworth wrote:If your economic reality is a choice, then why are you not as rich as Bill Gates?
Don't want to be.
I want to be!

Return to “News & Articles”