Another amusing "A" test

Seen something interesting in the news or on the intertubes? Discuss it here.

Moderators: Zamfir, Hawknc, Moderators General, Prelates

LordHuffnPuff

Another amusing "A" test

Postby LordHuffnPuff » Sun Nov 09, 2008 8:48 pm UTC

http://i35.tinypic.com/5zns7c.png

It's nice to see that some teachers value humour in addition to just learning the concepts.

Intercept

Re: Another amusing "A" test

Postby Intercept » Sun Nov 09, 2008 8:54 pm UTC

If I was a teacher I'd really be torn between a zero and a hundred. I would certainly watch Episode 4 though.
"I've always supported pudding, even when it was politically unpopular to do so."-Bill Nye Video

Princess Marzipan

Postby Princess Marzipan » Sun Nov 09, 2008 9:01 pm UTC

Haaaahahaha. That's so awesome.

Any idea what grade this was?
"It's Saturday night. I've got no date, a two-liter of Shasta, and my all-Rush mixtape. Let's rock!"
"I am just about to be brilliant!"
General_Norris, on feminism, wrote:If you lose your six Pokémon, you lost.

Woxor

Postby Woxor » Sun Nov 09, 2008 9:29 pm UTC

I was once grading a problem where you had to maximize the area in which to fence your goats (no, not as in swordfighting), given a length of fence and something about the geometry. A student drew an elephant and said that an elephant was attracted by some flowers and destroyed the fence to reach them, rendering the problem pointless. I marked it wrong since the goats would have already eaten the flowers. Never heard back about that one; I guess they agreed with my reasoning.

LordHuffnPuff

Postby LordHuffnPuff » Sun Nov 09, 2008 9:50 pm UTC

Woxor wrote:I was once grading a problem where you had to maximize the area in which to fence your goats (no, not as in swordfighting), given a length of fence and something about the geometry. A student drew an elephant and said that an elephant was attracted by some flowers and destroyed the fence to reach them, rendering the problem pointless. I marked it wrong since the goats would have already eaten the flowers. Never heard back about that one; I guess they agreed with my reasoning.

Wouldn't it have been cleverer to do something like this? (which I just drew in Paint to demonstrate this point)

Ishindri

Postby Ishindri » Sun Nov 09, 2008 9:55 pm UTC

Oh, the irony. It's Tantive IV, not Tantive V. But awesome nonetheless.
All is well. We are not like the others.

The Reaper

Postby The Reaper » Sun Nov 09, 2008 10:55 pm UTC

Intercept wrote:If I was a teacher I'd really be torn between a zero and a hundred. I would certainly watch Episode 4 though.

I'd give a 50, noting that some of the problems were only wittily half answered.

Numquam

Postby Numquam » Mon Nov 10, 2008 2:54 am UTC

Except it said to not do the problems that we're crossed out. I assume he did all of the problems he was supposed to.
admiror, o internet, te non cecidisse (ruinis)
qui tot scriptorum taedia sustineas

frezik

Postby frezik » Mon Nov 10, 2008 5:53 am UTC

I once had a math problem on a test involving how much fuel to put in an airplane to make a trip. Since I also was studying the Private Pilot written test at the time, I noted that FAA regulations require you to have enough fuel +30min to make it to your destination and did the work with the additional time factored in.

My teacher at the time was the type that appreciated a smart alec, so she handed the test back with the problem marked correct. Which was fortunate, as I noticed I had actually calculated things out wrong.
I do not agree with the beer you drink, but will defend to the death your right to drink it

telcontar42

Postby telcontar42 » Mon Nov 10, 2008 6:43 am UTC

I was once working on this physics problem set. On one of the problems I could figure out the first half and I could figure out the end of it, but I was stuck on a step in the middle. After struggling with it for a long time, I finally just wrote "And then a miracle happens" at the part where I got stuck and then skipped to the part that I knew how to finish. I got full credit, but probably just because the TA wasn't looking through the problems carefully.

zealo

Postby zealo » Mon Nov 10, 2008 12:19 pm UTC

i once couldn't finish a proof, so i just made the middle too messy for the marker to understand and i got full marks
ave_matthew wrote:in a perfect system a gallon of body fat is worth one third of the US GDP

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.
Location: UK/[St. Kitts and] Nevis Occasionally, I migrate to the US for a bit

Postby Angua » Mon Nov 10, 2008 5:35 pm UTC

I once did a question correctly, though due to my different thought processes I did the problem in small bits (multiplying each bit and then adding) as opposed to adding and multiplying the whole thing. This led to me getting a reduced mark because even though I got it right, they disagreed with/couldn't understand what I did. I could have got 100% and been top of the island for maths too :( (6th grade and I still remember)
Crabtree's bludgeon: “no set of mutually inconsistent observations can exist for which some human intellect cannot conceive a coherent explanation, however complicated”
GNU Terry Pratchett

gedtheflayer

Postby gedtheflayer » Mon Nov 10, 2008 7:02 pm UTC

I know my basic physics, but because of my major I've been forced to take a hideously easy/stupid 101 level college physics course, in which we are taking a "theoretical approach" to the concepts (read: We don't do any math problems, for some reason). Therefore, most of our problems take the form of yes/no questions about the concepts, and explanations. However, the homework is based only on completion, and I usually don't feel like writing the same answer 5 times because it happens to answer every dumbass question on the homework. Therefore, I've decided that being belligerent is just as good as being diligent, and have gotten full credit for such gems as the following:

-Yes, because we did this example 5 minutes ago
-Yes, because there's a 50% chance I'm right and I don't feel like cheating off my neighbor
-Yes, because of Newton's secret 4th law

Also, my fiancee once got a 100% on a cultural anthropology final exam by drawing stick figures.

*Edit* By the way, excellent use of Kingdom of Loathing goats
GENERATION 19: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

'; DROP DATABASE;--

Postby '; DROP DATABASE;-- » Mon Nov 10, 2008 9:37 pm UTC

I would have got 100% on my last math test, but lost a single point for not labelling X and Y on the axes. :roll: Annoying enough that it should be implied (here's a graph of X and Y, guess which is which, not that hard), but I'd done the same on previous tests and not lost marks for it.

I like to work in amusing comments with the answers when I have time. For example when given word problems, like "item x cost $a, item y cost $b, z items were sold, $c was raised, find the number of each item sold" I'll add "assuming no discounts were given" to my answer. Or at the end of an essay, a little comment about the assignment in the smallest font that the printer can render readably.
The only decent example I can think of at the moment of a witty answer I've used is in Japanese class. (And I've posted this before, oh well.) We'd be given a word and have to describe it to the class and have people guess the word. Mine was "legs", so my description was "they're in my pants." :D Much laughter by all.

In my game design class, there's an amusing trend, by nearly the entire class, of making the teacher the final boss in every game.
poxic wrote:You suck. And simultaneously rock. I think you've invented a new state of being.

tiny

Postby tiny » Tue Nov 11, 2008 10:47 am UTC

I don't think I lost points for it, but I got a kind of irritated remark on it - 'That's a very extreme example!' - when in my Educational Science 101 test I used Brave New World as source for an example of classical contitioning, adding "(stolen from Aldous Huxley)".
Apparently she didn't know what Mr. Huxley wrote and didn't care to look it up. So much for showing off my reading list in front of ignorant professors.
"I write what I see, the endless procession to the guillotine." ~ de Sade

Kachi
Publicly Posts Private Messages

Postby Kachi » Tue Nov 11, 2008 10:55 am UTC

Meh, if you're grading mountains of papers, you're probably not going to check obscure references, especially if you think you have a fair grasp on how well the student understands the material anyway.

Or maybe they were just lazy.

natraj

Postby natraj » Tue Nov 11, 2008 3:50 pm UTC

Kachi wrote:Meh, if you're grading mountains of papers, you're probably not going to check obscure references, especially if you think you have a fair grasp on how well the student understands the material anyway.

Or maybe they were just lazy.

I'd go with the latter. I don't think Brave New World is an obscure reference at all.
You want to know the future, love? Then wait:
I'll answer your impatient questions. Still --
They'll call it chance, or luck, or call it Fate,
The cards and stars that tumble as they will.

pronouns: they or he

segmentation fault

Postby segmentation fault » Tue Nov 11, 2008 4:01 pm UTC

tiny wrote:I don't think I lost points for it, but I got a kind of irritated remark on it - 'That's a very extreme example!' - when in my Educational Science 101 test I used Brave New World as source for an example of classical contitioning, adding "(stolen from Aldous Huxley)".

i would have mentioned a clockwork orange.
people are like LDL cholesterol for the internet

Woxor

Postby Woxor » Tue Nov 11, 2008 5:17 pm UTC

tiny wrote:I don't think I lost points for it, but I got a kind of irritated remark on it - 'That's a very extreme example!' - when in my Educational Science 101 test I used Brave New World as source for an example of classical contitioning, adding "(stolen from Aldous Huxley)".
Apparently she didn't know what Mr. Huxley wrote and didn't care to look it up. So much for showing off my reading list in front of ignorant professors.

Well, I mean, it is an extreme example. Widescale conditioning of millions of people according to caste using electrical shocks on them as toddlers -- as opposed to a salivating dog, that's very extreme.

LDJosh

Postby LDJosh » Tue Nov 11, 2008 7:01 pm UTC

who the hell has never seen starwars!?
--------
~Lameduck Josh
ninjajosh.com

oxoiron

Postby oxoiron » Tue Nov 11, 2008 7:08 pm UTC

My wife.
"Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to reform (or pause and reflect)."-- Mark Twain
"There is not more dedicated criminal than a group of children."--addams

Awia

Postby Awia » Tue Nov 11, 2008 7:16 pm UTC

My girlfriend, all attempts to educate her have been turned down.
Francis wrote:Look on the bright side, if you all die I'll still be handsome

crowey
That's DOCTOR Crowey, to you

Postby crowey » Wed Nov 12, 2008 1:39 am UTC

Blind people.

I always enjoy the smart arse answers when I'm marking. I got a stats paper written in the most OTT prose ever, even for the mathematical questions. Alas I could only give 95% because a couple of bits were wrong. I enjoyed it muchly though.

joshz

Postby joshz » Sat Nov 15, 2008 3:40 am UTC

I've seen some funny test 'answers'. :)

(I would post a link, but I have >5 posts, so I can't.)

Google "they didn't study", and click the first result (from scribd DOT com).

Edit: It's here.
Last edited by joshz on Sat Dec 06, 2008 11:25 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.
You, sir, name? wrote:If you have over 26 levels of nesting, you've got bigger problems ... than variable naming.
suffer-cait wrote:it might also be interesting to note here that i don't like 5 fingers. they feel too bulky.

Mo0man

Postby Mo0man » Mon Nov 17, 2008 4:34 am UTC

That guy makes way too many unfounded assumptions in his answers. All of this could have taken place before episode four, thereby making his answers, at the very least, unsupported.
causa major dormuc vulnero ut ovis goatee
I'm number 20075. Remember that. It's important

Return to “News & Articles”