PETA's take on Cooking Mama

Seen something interesting in the news or on the intertubes? Discuss it here.

Moderators: Zamfir, Hawknc, Moderators General, Prelates

Princess Marzipan

PETA's take on Cooking Mama

Postby Princess Marzipan » Tue Nov 18, 2008 2:25 am UTC

http://www.peta.org/cooking-mama/index.asp?c=pcmgb08

So PETA wants people to urge Majesco, the software developer responsible for Cooking Mama, to release a vegetarian recipe version of the game.
http://getactive.peta.org/campaign/mama_kills_animals

See, the problem here is...this game lets you cut the head off of a dead turkey. This game...IS FUN.

Way to go, PETA. Epic fail. But thanks for the wallpaper, and for inspiring me to email Majesco to make even more brutal Cooking Mama games.
"It's Saturday night. I've got no date, a two-liter of Shasta, and my all-Rush mixtape. Let's rock!"
"I am just about to be brilliant!"
General_Norris, on feminism, wrote:If you lose your six Pokémon, you lost.

Colorbynumberz

Re: PETA's take on Cooking Mama

Postby Colorbynumberz » Tue Nov 18, 2008 2:32 am UTC

My PETA impression:

LOOK GUYS WE TOTALLY PAID SOMEONE TO DESIGN A FLASH GAME FOR OUR WEBSITE TOO BAD WE CAN'T AFFORD TO CARE FOR ANY OF THESE PUPPIES WE 'RESCUED' OH WELL I GUESS WE'LL JUST HAVE TO EUTHANIZE THEM HAPPY TURKEY DAY WE'RE DOUCHES.

That game is too buggy in controls, factually wrong, and too bizarre to be fun. But I'm picky as hell about my flash games. Though, I love how they made Mama look like a knife wielding escaped mental patient. Like anyone who eats meat is some kind of raving lunatic.

Oh, wait, it's PETA. They think people who eat meat should be locked up in jail, and be charged more for insurance, and they also wanted Ben and Jerry's to make their ice cream with breast milk.
"Do what you feel in your heart to be right, for you'll be criticized anyway. You'll be damned if you do, and damned if you don't."
-Eleanor Roosevelt

"No woman is required to build the world by destroying herself."
-Rabbi Sofer

natraj

Postby natraj » Tue Nov 18, 2008 2:34 am UTC

All games need more entrails. Sweet.
You want to know the future, love? Then wait:
I'll answer your impatient questions. Still --
They'll call it chance, or luck, or call it Fate,
The cards and stars that tumble as they will.

pronouns: they or he

psyck0

Postby psyck0 » Tue Nov 18, 2008 4:08 am UTC

Does the game already have any vegetarian recipes? If so, PETA's being stupid, but if not, then it really should. There are health benefits to eating less meat than most people do, and many vegetarian recipes are really good.

GhostWolfe
Broken wings and scattered feathers

Postby GhostWolfe » Tue Nov 18, 2008 4:19 am UTC

psyck0 wrote:Does the game already have any vegetarian recipes?
I know in the DS version that there are plenty of recipes that are vegetarian. They are all japanese-styled*; tofu and seaweed feature prominently.

/angell

* By which I mean, some are japanese recipes, and some are eastern-ised but otherwise common recipes like spaghetti.
Linguistic Anarchist
Hawknc: ANGELL IS SERIOUS BUSINESS :-[
lesliesage: Animals dunked in crude oil: sad. Animals dunked in boiling oil: tasty.
Belial: I was in your mom's room all night committing to a series of extended military actions.

clintonius

Postby clintonius » Tue Nov 18, 2008 4:27 am UTC

Are they explicitly called vegetarian, or do they just not call for Cooking Mama to chop the heads off of turkeys? In terms of being reasonable, neither of those options is really better than the other, but we are dealing with PETA here.
kira wrote:*piles up some limbs and blood and a couple hearts for good measure*
GUYS. I MADE A HUMAN.
*...pokes at it with a stick*

Princess Marzipan

Postby Princess Marzipan » Tue Nov 18, 2008 4:29 am UTC

You don't actually do anything to 'make' meat in the Cooking Mama games. It is all already dead and ready for you to cook with it.
"It's Saturday night. I've got no date, a two-liter of Shasta, and my all-Rush mixtape. Let's rock!"

GhostWolfe
Broken wings and scattered feathers

Postby GhostWolfe » Tue Nov 18, 2008 4:31 am UTC

You might be asked to mix eggs with mince, salt, and pepper to make meatballs; or you might flour, egg, and crumb some chicken; sometimes you are asked to chop a steak into strips. To answer your question, though: no, none of the recipes are specifically labelled as vegetarian.

/angell
Linguistic Anarchist
Hawknc: ANGELL IS SERIOUS BUSINESS :-[
lesliesage: Animals dunked in crude oil: sad. Animals dunked in boiling oil: tasty.
Belial: I was in your mom's room all night committing to a series of extended military actions.

clintonius

Postby clintonius » Tue Nov 18, 2008 4:34 am UTC

You still hafta cut the head off a turkey. Even if it's dead.

That said, PETA is so against anything that doesn't follow their prescribed tack at an issue that it makes me vomit. It's a very good point that they should be praising vegetarian options rather than protesting the meaty ones (and by "good point" and "should," I mean by their standards. I ate probably half a dead pig yesterday. Loved every second of it).
GUYS. I MADE A HUMAN.

Dream
WINNING

Postby Dream » Tue Nov 18, 2008 4:47 am UTC

clintonius wrote:That said, PETA is so against anything that doesn't follow their prescribed tack at an issue that it makes me vomit.

Declare yourself an animal and make them stop!
I knew a woman once, but she died soon after.

clintonius

Postby clintonius » Tue Nov 18, 2008 4:49 am UTC

MUTTON FOR BEEF! STOP THE HATE!
GUYS. I MADE A HUMAN.

Princess Marzipan

Postby Princess Marzipan » Tue Nov 18, 2008 4:53 am UTC

clintonius wrote:You still hafta cut the head off a turkey. Even if it's dead.

In PETA's over-the-top sensationalist Flash version, yes. In the real games, no.

clintonius

Postby clintonius » Tue Nov 18, 2008 4:57 am UTC

This is why reasonable people do not listen to anything PETA has to say.
GUYS. I MADE A HUMAN.

natraj

Postby natraj » Tue Nov 18, 2008 5:01 am UTC

PETA makes me sad because then when I say I'm vegan, people automatically parse that as I'm crazy.

clintonius

Postby clintonius » Tue Nov 18, 2008 5:03 am UTC

PETA makes me happy because their existence led to the creation of hilarious bumper stickers.
GUYS. I MADE A HUMAN.

fyrenwater

Postby fyrenwater » Tue Nov 18, 2008 6:31 am UTC

Hear that sound? That's the sound of a million casual gamers banging their heads on their desks. That or laughing.

I swear, does PETA ever do anything that helps their reputation? I'm all for no cruelty to animals, but this is absurd.
...It made more sense in my head.

Dream
WINNING

Postby Dream » Tue Nov 18, 2008 7:34 am UTC

fyrenwater wrote:I swear, does PETA ever do anything that helps their reputation?

They hire celebrities. Seriously. That's about it.
I knew a woman once, but she died soon after.

Mzyxptlk

Postby Mzyxptlk » Tue Nov 18, 2008 8:21 am UTC

I just unlocked the bonus level.

Mama loves animals.

I have to mash the tofu.

Seriously.
"Once upon a time, an infinite number of people lived perfect, blissful, eternal lives."

lorenith

Postby lorenith » Tue Nov 18, 2008 8:45 am UTC

I thought it was extremely demented, and fun...but short. The "Vegetarian" stuff had more interesting little actions than the turkey mutilating part though.

Also, whoever said Vegitarian is healthier than eating like a normal human being, no, it's not, even to be on par with an "average" person you have to be willing to take a ton of supplements to make up for lack of vitamins and other things your body needs but can only get from meat/animal products. I don't really consider it healthier if one has to take supplements just to keep their body from screwing up later or having messed up physical or neurological development in the case of children

Woofsie

Postby Woofsie » Tue Nov 18, 2008 8:49 am UTC

Y'see, this is why most of the animal rights movement agrees that PETA are fucking stupid. They don't speak for us people!

natraj wrote:PETA makes me sad because then when I say I'm vegan, people automatically parse that as I'm crazy.

Seconded. :?

Jack Saladin
X is kiss

Postby Jack Saladin » Tue Nov 18, 2008 9:17 am UTC

I like how the eggs bleed and have feathers inside. Where the fuck do you get your eggs, PETA?

Xeio
Friends, Faidites, Countrymen

Postby Xeio » Tue Nov 18, 2008 9:28 am UTC

Quick, everyone change the message in the box to:

Code: Select all

I LOVE the Cooking Mama series and HATE PETA's new parody of it, AND I would HATE to see Mama make more vegetarian recipes or even a game with just vegetarian recipes. There is no doubt that I would NEVER play it!

Animals raised and killed for food have no federal legal protection from the horrific abuses that they suffer, including neglect, mutilations, chronic pain, and crippling, AS WELL THEY SHOULDN'T.

Please CONTINUE GO ABOUT MAKING Cooking Mama gameS WITH NO CHANGES WITH REGAURDS TO MENU.

--
Seriously though, keep up with the good games.  :D
Does anyone else love to fill out those forms with the exact opposite of what the site gives as the default template? Not just for PETA, but just about any 'lets have a word crusade for XXXXXX that is evil'. Though PETA gets dumber and dumber as time goes on, first human milk in ice cream, now changing cooking video games? Oh yea, that makes sense to a crazy person.

natraj

Postby natraj » Tue Nov 18, 2008 4:21 pm UTC

lorenith wrote:I thought it was extremely demented, and fun...but short. The "Vegetarian" stuff had more interesting little actions than the turkey mutilating part though.

Also, whoever said Vegitarian is healthier than eating like a normal human being, no, it's not, even to be on par with an "average" person you have to be willing to take a ton of supplements to make up for lack of vitamins and other things your body needs but can only get from meat/animal products. I don't really consider it healthier if one has to take supplements just to keep their body from screwing up later or having messed up physical or neurological development in the case of children

I'm not really sure where you're getting your information about vegetarian diets, but it is completely utterly inaccurate.

thornahawk

Postby thornahawk » Tue Nov 18, 2008 4:31 pm UTC

clintonius wrote:PETA makes me happy because their existence led to the creation of hilarious bumper stickers.

"I, too, am fond of animals! What are your recipes?"

Dream wrote:
fyrenwater wrote:I swear, does PETA ever do anything that helps their reputation?
They hire celebrities. Seriously. That's about it.

On the other hand, what will that do to said celebrities' reputations? ;)

~ Werner
John Dolan wrote:Cigarettes are insanely expensive and turn lots of poor people into cringing beggars.

E-mail!

22/7
I'm pretty sure I have "The Slavery In My Asshole" on DVD.

Postby 22/7 » Tue Nov 18, 2008 4:35 pm UTC

natraj wrote:I'm not really sure where you're getting your information about vegetarian diets, but it is completely utterly inaccurate.
I think what he was trying to say (I'm not lorenith, you'll have to ask him for sure) is that it's easy to, as a vegan or vegetarian, not get enough of certain vital nutrients (protein is usually the one brought up in this discussion) in your diet, as it's fairly easy to drop some chicken or beef into a meal and you're good for the day. I know personally that it can be harder to balance a diet as a vegetarian/vegan, especially if you're in an area that's not particularly friendly to that kind of diet.
Totally not a hypothetical...

Steroid wrote:
bigglesworth wrote:If your economic reality is a choice, then why are you not as rich as Bill Gates?
Don't want to be.
I want to be!

segmentation fault

Postby segmentation fault » Tue Nov 18, 2008 4:50 pm UTC

natraj wrote:I'm not really sure where you're getting your information about vegetarian diets, but it is completely utterly inaccurate.

actually its completely accurate. take vitamin B12 for instance.

Vitamin B12 is needed for cell division and blood formation. Neither plants nor animals make vitamin B12. Bacteria are responsible for producing vitamin B12. Animals get their vitamin B12 from eating foods contaminated with vitamin B12 and then the animal becomes a source of vitamin B12. Plant foods do not contain vitamin B12 except when they are contaminated by microorganisms or have vitamin B12 added to them. Thus, vegans need to look to fortified foods or supplements to get vitamin B12 in their diet.

okay, maybe its accurate on a vegan scale...but the issue still exists somewhat with vegetarian diets.
people are like LDL cholesterol for the internet

Woofsie

Postby Woofsie » Tue Nov 18, 2008 5:18 pm UTC

You know that "fortified foods" refers to, among other things, every breakfast cereal out there, as well as soy milk (and other vegan milks), so the vast majority of vegans will get enough B12 without even having to look for it.

And yes, vegan diets are healthier - to quote wikipedia

Vegan diets (sometimes called strict or pure vegetarian diets) are a subset of vegetarian diets, which are credited with lowering the risk of colon cancer, heart attack, high blood cholesterol, high blood pressure, prostate cancer, and stroke.

Bolding mine.

natraj

Postby natraj » Tue Nov 18, 2008 5:30 pm UTC

segmentation fault wrote:

actually its completely accurate. take vitamin B12 for instance.

Vitamin B12 is needed for cell division and blood formation. Neither plants nor animals make vitamin B12. Bacteria are responsible for producing vitamin B12. Animals get their vitamin B12 from eating foods contaminated with vitamin B12 and then the animal becomes a source of vitamin B12. Plant foods do not contain vitamin B12 except when they are contaminated by microorganisms or have vitamin B12 added to them. Thus, vegans need to look to fortified foods or supplements to get vitamin B12 in their diet.

okay, maybe its accurate on a vegan scale...but the issue still exists somewhat with vegetarian diets.

The statement that people have to take lots of supplements to get the nutrition they need is completely inaccurate. Yes, vitamin B12 (which is, really, the only nutrient that vegans need to get specially added to food) is "hard" to come by because it doesn't occur in plants. Except for it's not actually hard to come by, since it's added to things like non-dairy milk and juice and cereal. Everything else, you can get enough of just be eating a balanced diet, which you should do whether you're veg*n or not.

Admittedly, I probably think it's easier cuz of coming from a highly vegetarian culture (I'm Indian) where, you know, people have been healthily vegetarian without any problems (and without any vitamin supplements) for thousands of years, so I wasn't raised thinking that meat is the be-all and end-all of Staying Healthy.

More on-topic: I like the mechanisms in the superseekrit vegetarian part of the game better, but the entrails and beheading is definitely more fun. They need to combine the two when they make Cooking Mama: ultra-gore version.
Last edited by natraj on Tue Nov 18, 2008 5:34 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

segmentation fault

Postby segmentation fault » Tue Nov 18, 2008 5:34 pm UTC

while you can get the necessary vitamins from fortified milk and cereals, id rather just be able to eat and not worry that im not getting enough of certain vitamins and minerals. also, those cereals and milks tend to be a bit more expensive.

moreover, the whole "vegetarian/vegan diets are healthier" is slightly crap. i can fry every vegetable under the sun and while it would be vegetarian/vegan its not necessarily healthy. regardless of what youre eating you have to plan out a diet for it to be healthy. it might be easier for a non-meat diet but you can do it with meat.

natraj wrote:Everything else, you can get enough of just be eating a balanced diet, which you should do whether you're veg*n or not.

which is pretty much where i stand.

wait, why are we talking about this in this thread?

22/7

Postby 22/7 » Tue Nov 18, 2008 5:45 pm UTC

segmentation fault wrote:wait, why are we talking about this in this thread?
Because it's the internet? I think the progression went...
psyck0 wrote:There are health benefits to eating less meat than most people do...
lorenith wrote:Also, whoever said Vegitarian is healthier than eating like a normal human being, no, it's not, even to be on par with an "average" person you have to be willing to take a ton of supplements to make up for lack of vitamins and other things your body needs but can only get from meat/animal products. I don't really consider it healthier if one has to take supplements just to keep their body from screwing up later or having messed up physical or neurological development in the case of children
and so on.

I imagine PETA's thought process going something like this.

"They're being violent to make-believe animals through video games, so we should, with absolutely no background in video game design or creation whatsoever and with no reason for creating the game other than to show people how eating eggs is killing chickens, create our own video game. Yeah! Creating a shoddy video game will show 'em we're hip, or... something?

WE'RE STILL RELEVANT!"

Steroid wrote:
bigglesworth wrote:If your economic reality is a choice, then why are you not as rich as Bill Gates?
Don't want to be.
I want to be!

Indon

Postby Indon » Tue Nov 18, 2008 6:01 pm UTC

Woofsie wrote:And yes, vegan diets are healthier - to quote wikipedia

Vegan diets (sometimes called strict or pure vegetarian diets) are a subset of vegetarian diets, which are credited with lowering the risk of colon cancer, heart attack, high blood cholesterol, high blood pressure, prostate cancer, and stroke.

Bolding mine.

Well, you're comparing a small group of people, all of which strictly watch what they eat (vegans, in order to maintain the strict requirements of the diet), versus a large group of people, very few of which watch what they eat (everyone else, to include 99.9% of all fast food consumers).

Unless you're dieting on pure fat or something, so long as you're watching what you eat, it's going to be healthier than the mainstream.
So, I like talking. So if you want to talk about something with me, feel free to send me a PM.

My blog, now rarely updated.

clintonius

Postby clintonius » Tue Nov 18, 2008 6:04 pm UTC

I'd love it if we could could stop bashing people's dietary choices.

Much more interesting to bash PETA.
GUYS. I MADE A HUMAN.

22/7

Postby 22/7 » Tue Nov 18, 2008 6:07 pm UTC

clintonius wrote:I'd love it if we could could stop bashing people's dietary choices.

Much more interesting to bash PETA.
But if I'm not arguing with someone on the internet, how will I fill my day?

Steroid wrote:
Don't want to be.
I want to be!

clintonius

Postby clintonius » Tue Nov 18, 2008 6:08 pm UTC

Sit quietly and enjoy the buzz of the artificial lighting above you.
GUYS. I MADE A HUMAN.

Indon

Postby Indon » Tue Nov 18, 2008 6:10 pm UTC

22/7 wrote:But if I'm not arguing with someone on the internet, how will I fill my day?

We need someone in this thread to champion PETA's extreme positions.

Beer > Milk.

Discuss.
So, I like talking. So if you want to talk about something with me, feel free to send me a PM.

My blog, now rarely updated.

natraj

Postby natraj » Tue Nov 18, 2008 6:18 pm UTC

22/7 wrote:I imagine PETA's thought process going something like this.

"They're being violent to make-believe animals through video games, ...

I have heard arguments against eating animal crackers, too. Cuz, they're shaped like animals. Which will then encourage people to go kill animals.

... I don't remember where I heard it, but I would not be surprised it if was from PETA.

Jebobek

Postby Jebobek » Tue Nov 18, 2008 6:25 pm UTC

I just quickly played the flash game and...Are you guys SURE That this is really PETA? That its not some sort of group making fun of how PETA would react to Cooking Mama? I can't browse around too much at work to double-check the site. If it is, good lord.

natraj

Postby natraj » Tue Nov 18, 2008 6:28 pm UTC

Jebobek wrote:I just quickly played the flash game and...Are you guys SURE That this is really PETA? That its not some sort of group making fun of how PETA would react to Cooking Mama? I can't browse around too much at work to double-check the site. If it is, good lord.

I think Poe's Law frequently applies to PETA. They quite often seem like they should be a parody of themselves.

ArchangelShrike
Rodan's Title

Postby ArchangelShrike » Tue Nov 18, 2008 6:51 pm UTC

They can't even make a decent flash game, I frequently got too nice because my input would lag on the game. How will people take you seriously if you can't make a decent game?!

segmentation fault

Postby segmentation fault » Tue Nov 18, 2008 7:01 pm UTC

ArchangelShrike wrote:How will people take you seriously if you can't make a decent game?!

dammit i KNEW i was doing something wrong!!

Return to “News & Articles”