Wal-Mart worker Trampled by shoppers

Seen something interesting in the news or on the intertubes? Discuss it here.

Moderators: Zamfir, Hawknc, Moderators General, Prelates

roc314
Is dead, and you have killed him

Wal-Mart worker Trampled by shoppers

Postby roc314 » Fri Nov 28, 2008 10:23 pm UTC

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid= ... refer=home
the article wrote:A worker at a Wal-Mart in New York City’s Long Island suburbs was killed when a throng of shoppers broke down the doors to the store early this morning and knocked him to the ground.

The event involved a temporary employee and was “a tragic situation,” Bentonville, Arkansas-based Wal-Mart Stores Inc., the world’s biggest retailer, said in a statement. “The safety and security of our customers and associates is our top priority.”
Another addition to the random, tragic lunacy of the world?
Hippo: roc is the good little communist that lurks in us all
Richard Stallman: Geeks like to think that they can ignore politics, you can leave politics alone, but politics won't leave you alone.
suffer-cait: roc's a pretty cool dude

Princess Marzipan

Re: Wal-Mart worker Trampled by shoppers

Postby Princess Marzipan » Fri Nov 28, 2008 10:50 pm UTC

That is absolutely fucking terrible.
"It's Saturday night. I've got no date, a two-liter of Shasta, and my all-Rush mixtape. Let's rock!"
"I am just about to be brilliant!"
General_Norris, on feminism, wrote:If you lose your six Pokémon, you lost.

clintonius

Postby clintonius » Fri Nov 28, 2008 11:20 pm UTC

They broke down the door? To Wal-Mart?

The fuck?
kira wrote:*piles up some limbs and blood and a couple hearts for good measure*
GUYS. I MADE A HUMAN.
*...pokes at it with a stick*

Intercept

Postby Intercept » Fri Nov 28, 2008 11:41 pm UTC

Well sure, as long as you're in the store they'll sell stuff to you. Doesn't matter if you're in there illegally. Not like they'll stop you for breaking down their door.

But seriously, what the fuck? I hate to be that person who says money is the root of all evil and shit, but damn.
"I've always supported pudding, even when it was politically unpopular to do so."-Bill Nye Video

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.
Location: UK/[St. Kitts and] Nevis Occasionally, I migrate to the US for a bit

Postby Angua » Fri Nov 28, 2008 11:41 pm UTC

And I thought that they were exaggerating on Chuck last year with that crowd into the Buy More. I guess not.
Crabtree's bludgeon: “no set of mutually inconsistent observations can exist for which some human intellect cannot conceive a coherent explanation, however complicated”
GNU Terry Pratchett

Adalwolf

Postby Adalwolf » Sat Nov 29, 2008 1:55 am UTC

What the FUCK?

That is absolutely fucking horrible. Absolutely disgusting. I don't see how people can become so fucking frenzied during shopping. All those people should be fucking ashamed.

How fucking low can society fucking get?

Gods fucking damn it.
Live with passion. Die with passion.

Dream
WINNING

Postby Dream » Sat Nov 29, 2008 2:51 am UTC

Jesus fucking Christ, I agree with Adalwolf. Wow. WalMart is really capable of anything. If the bloody company wasn't so scarily powerful, this would hopefully lead to some curtailment of these ridiculous store directed, stage-managed buying binges.
I knew a woman once, but she died soon after.

clintonius

Postby clintonius » Sat Nov 29, 2008 2:55 am UTC

Dream wrote:Jesus fucking Christ, I fucking agree with fucking Adalwolf. Fucking wow. WalMart is really fucking capable of anything. If the bloody fucking company wasn't so fucking scarily powerful, this would hopefully fucking lead to some fucking curtailment of these fucking ridiculous store directed, stage-managed fucking buying binges. Fuck fuckity fuckfuckfuck.

Fix'd.
GUYS. I MADE A HUMAN.

Lycur

Postby Lycur » Sat Nov 29, 2008 3:01 am UTC

clintonius wrote:
Dream wrote:Jesus fucking Christ, I fucking agree with fucking Adalwolf. Fucking wow. WalMart is really fucking capable of anything. If the bloody fucking company wasn't so fucking scarily powerful, this would hopefully fucking lead to some fucking curtailment of these fucking ridiculous store directed, stage-managed fucking buying binges. Fuck fuckity fuckfuckfuck.

Fix'd.

*headscratch*

I can't even tell if you're being hostile or not.

Edit: ah, this was parodying Adalwolf.
Last edited by Lycur on Sat Nov 29, 2008 3:40 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

roc314
Is dead, and you have killed him

Postby roc314 » Sat Nov 29, 2008 3:14 am UTC

Lycur wrote:I can't even tell if you're being hostile or not.
Well someone just fucking died because the fucking crowds at fucking Wal-Mart were too fucking impatient to start their fucking shopping for them to stop fucking trampling the poor employee, let alone fucking help the fucking man! Being hostile (to those shoppers, not Dream) is an understandable reaction.
Hippo: roc is the good little communist that lurks in us all
Richard Stallman: Geeks like to think that they can ignore politics, you can leave politics alone, but politics won't leave you alone.
suffer-cait: roc's a pretty cool dude

Adalwolf

Postby Adalwolf » Sat Nov 29, 2008 3:19 am UTC

Yeah, I dropped the F bomb a lot in that post. I was so damn angry and disgusted reading that story (and still am).

Outchanter

Postby Outchanter » Sat Nov 29, 2008 3:21 am UTC

That's horrendous. What, if anything, was going through these people's minds?

"Must remember to buy cranberries ... oh look, I just stepped on a screaming prostrate person ... now where do they keep those pumpkin pies?"

And how did the other employees react? "Our spoon selection? Certainly sir - head straight down this aisle and turn left at the corpse"?

:shock: Gott im Himmel.

Adalwolf

Postby Adalwolf » Sat Nov 29, 2008 3:23 am UTC

Outchanter wrote:That's horrendous. What, if anything, was going through these people's minds?

"Must remember to buy cranberries ... oh look, I just stepped on a screaming prostrate person ... now where do they keep those pumpkin pies?"

And how did the other employees react? "Our spoon selection? Certainly sir - head straight down this aisle and turn left at the corpse"?

:shock:

If I was an employee I would have gotten a shovel and started beating the shit out people to get them out so I could help the poor guy.

Or gotten a gun out of the sporting goods section.

Decker

Postby Decker » Sat Nov 29, 2008 3:25 am UTC

Adalwolf wrote:
Outchanter wrote:That's horrendous. What, if anything, was going through these people's minds?

:shock:

If I was an employee I would have gotten a shovel and started beating the shit out people to get them out so I could help the poor guy.

I was with you until right there.
I was angry with my friend. I told my wrath. My wrath did end.
I was angry with my foe. I told it not. My wrath did grow.

clintonius

Postby clintonius » Sat Nov 29, 2008 3:26 am UTC

Or diving behind a counter to keep yourself from getting trampled.
GUYS. I MADE A HUMAN.

une see
Is my girl

Postby une see » Sat Nov 29, 2008 3:27 am UTC

I'm pretty disgusted myself. How does something like this even happen? Did no one notice that they were trampling someone??

It's doubly terrible for me because it happened where I live. Well, not where I live exactly- but on Long Island. I mean, fuck. People are goddamn crazy.
T.S. Eliot in "The Waste Land" wrote:APRIL is the cruellest month, breeding
Lilacs out of the dead land, mixing
Memory and desire, stirring
Dull roots with spring rain.

clintonius

Postby clintonius » Sat Nov 29, 2008 3:32 am UTC

If it was a crowd big enough to knock the doors down, it's possible that the people who trampled the worker (i.e., those in the front of the group) couldn't do much about it at that point due to the surge of the crowd. Not that it makes them any less complicit. Just a possible explanation.
GUYS. I MADE A HUMAN.

Dream
WINNING

Postby Dream » Sat Nov 29, 2008 4:57 am UTC

Yeah, that 's pretty much how it happens. But usually it happens while people are running away from (fucking) scary things. Terrifying things, like fire or riot police or the uncool people at the back of the rock concert venue that you can't be seen with. Not 3c off windscreen wiper blades.
I knew a woman once, but she died soon after.

Megatriorchis

Postby Megatriorchis » Sat Nov 29, 2008 6:03 am UTC

I never understood the hype around Black Friday. Is getting the best deals for one day out of the year really motive enough to tear down doors and take a life?
The Humanity for the Undead Coalition: Bringing Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness to the Undead and Other Supernatural Humanoids. Zombies don't eat people; people eat people!

Cooley

Postby Cooley » Sat Nov 29, 2008 6:31 am UTC

I heard this on the radio and I thought it was a joke for a second. This and the shoot-out at the Toys r us in Palm desert.

This is really sad, but c'mon! Deals! With the economy the way it is, it would be a crime NOT to trample employees! </sarcasm>

Princess Marzipan

Postby Princess Marzipan » Sat Nov 29, 2008 7:40 am UTC

Well, from the article, an angry mob didn't actually bust down the doors; every jackass further back couldn't wait to get their hands on DEALS DEALS DEALS and ended up forcing people through the doors.
"It's Saturday night. I've got no date, a two-liter of Shasta, and my all-Rush mixtape. Let's rock!"
"I am just about to be brilliant!"
General_Norris, on feminism, wrote:If you lose your six Pokémon, you lost.

PatchMonster

Postby PatchMonster » Sat Nov 29, 2008 7:55 am UTC

Authorities are reviewing surveillance video and are considering criminal charges, Bitsko said. Some people continued to shop even though upset store workers attempted to get them to leave, Newsday said, citing Kimberly Cribbs, a shopper from Far Rockaway.

This is one of those few instances where "wtf?" sums up my entire reaction.

Spoiler:
fuck, fuck, fuck, fuck
The liberal media has a hidden agenda!

Veracious Sole

Postby Veracious Sole » Sat Nov 29, 2008 8:12 am UTC

People, people, this isn't as bad as it sounds. Sure a person was killed due to a frenzied mob of coupon-cutters, but you're missing the spirit of the holiday. Black friday was concieved, as many of you are aware, as a way to capitalize on the egregious amounts of money spent during the holiday season. It was the day when sales would officially kick-off, the day when it was officially time to buy presents for the loved ones, and the day when companies could unleash their christmas add campaigns.

What onlookers seem to have forgotten, however, is that the holiday also had another purpose. To serve as a reworked ritual harvest sacrifice similar to those practiced in ancient cultures around the world. Participants in these purchasing free-for-alls know this. They know exactly why they are trampling over helpless shoppers. They know why every year the same thing happens and little is done to remedy the situation. They know that they are not victims or agressors, but participants in the single most effective recession proofing technique known to man. They are not repulsed by it, but revel in it, tears of joy rolling down their face as the stampeding feet of enraptured capitalists trample their bodies into the tile.

We should be rejoicing at the news. We should be singing the praises for the brave soldiers who willingly throw themselves into the fray for the good of mankind. We should be thankful for the dirt-cheap sales that are the result of these brave saints sacrifices. We should emphatically acccept this holiday for what it is, a celebration of life.
"I never knew words could be so confusing," Milo said to Tock as he bent down to scratch the dog's ear.
"Only when you use a lot to say a little," answered Tock. ~The Phantom Tollbooth~

Jack Saladin
X is kiss

Postby Jack Saladin » Sat Nov 29, 2008 9:33 am UTC

Jesus fuck. It's getting harder and harder to tell the world apart from a really unsubtle satirical novel.

Clumpy

Postby Clumpy » Sat Nov 29, 2008 9:43 am UTC

This is all a surprise for me, because I just took part in my first Black Friday and it was really, really mellow. Everybody was cool and orderly, and though most people took it seriously I can't imagine anybody bashing down doors or trampling people for it.

My regards to the family of this poor individual. My family's never been one for the commercial side of Christmas, but something like this could turn me away from it for good.

EsotericWombat
Colorful Orator

Postby EsotericWombat » Sat Nov 29, 2008 9:49 am UTC

In before "You guys are surprised at this?"

Anyone remember maybe ten, eleven years ago when people were fighting over the last Furby?

At least everyone who got hurt there was equally culpable.

Can has Wal Mart being fucked in the ass with a sue-dick?

tgjensen

Postby tgjensen » Sat Nov 29, 2008 4:16 pm UTC

Wait, what did Wal-Mart do wrong here? I thought the mob of callous, petty assholes was to blame.

Intercept

Postby Intercept » Sat Nov 29, 2008 4:33 pm UTC

Yeah, I don't think Wal Mart is to blame.

We are accusing the defendant of offering amazing deals, with low, low prices, and unprecedented rollbacks!
"I've always supported pudding, even when it was politically unpopular to do so."-Bill Nye Video

bigglesworth
I feel like Biggles should have a title

Postby bigglesworth » Sat Nov 29, 2008 5:00 pm UTC

From what I've heard, the Store Manager ordered employees to try to barricade the doors to stop people getting in, instead of ordering them to all take shelter.
Generation Y. I don't remember the First Gulf War, but do remember floppy disks.

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.
Location: UK/[St. Kitts and] Nevis Occasionally, I migrate to the US for a bit

Postby Angua » Sat Nov 29, 2008 7:28 pm UTC

bigglesworth wrote:From what I've heard, the Store Manager ordered employees to try to barricade the doors to stop people getting in, instead of ordering them to all take shelter.

I suppose they weren't to know that their employees would actually get trampled to death in the line of duty.
Crabtree's bludgeon: “no set of mutually inconsistent observations can exist for which some human intellect cannot conceive a coherent explanation, however complicated”
GNU Terry Pratchett

Intercept

Postby Intercept » Sat Nov 29, 2008 7:39 pm UTC

So one Wal Mart employee told them to do something that they didn't have to do. Without knowledge of the outcome beforehand. I still don't see sufficient reason to sue the company.

JoshuaZ

Postby JoshuaZ » Sat Nov 29, 2008 8:35 pm UTC

bigglesworth wrote:From what I've heard, the Store Manager ordered employees to try to barricade the doors to stop people getting in, instead of ordering them to all take shelter.

Was thinking that they would need to take shelter something a rational individual would have anticipated? I have trouble seeing how the manager could have reasonably predicted this in advance.

Green9090

Postby Green9090 » Sat Nov 29, 2008 9:13 pm UTC

Yeah, because keeping people out of the store is totally not something those people are paid to do.

This is like saying you should sue a store because they had their clerk on night shift when a robber came in and shot him.
Belial wrote:A man with more arms than the entire hindu pantheon and thirty goddamn dicks has no time for logic! He must consume ever more bacon to fuel his incalculable manhood!

Texas_Ben

Postby Texas_Ben » Sat Nov 29, 2008 9:29 pm UTC

Decker wrote:
Adalwolf wrote:If I was an employee I would have gotten a shovel and started beating the shit out people to get them out so I could help the poor guy.

I was with you until right there.

Well figure you get the gun and fire a few rounds into the ceiling or the floor, that should get everyone's attention... I imagine that most people would then decide that that is a good time to be leaving. More effective than beating people with a shovel, and less likely to inflict further harm.

EsotericWombat
Colorful Orator

Postby EsotericWombat » Sat Nov 29, 2008 10:12 pm UTC

Yes, I hold Wal Mart culpable. Aside from telling their employees to do something that put them in harm's way that was neither a part of their training nor their job description, this sort of event is utterly predictable. There isn't a year that goes by that we don't hear about someone getting their ass trampled to death on Black Friday. Wal Mart is well aware of this, as Black Friday is HUGE for them. There should have been precautions in place.

Intercept

Postby Intercept » Sat Nov 29, 2008 11:30 pm UTC

The store manager is not Wal Mart.

Jack Saladin
X is kiss

Postby Jack Saladin » Sun Nov 30, 2008 12:18 am UTC

Well figure you get the gun and fire a few rounds into the ceiling or the floor, that should get everyone's attention... I imagine that most people would then decide that that is a good time to be leaving. More effective than beating people with a shovel, and less likely to inflict further harm.

Then people panic, thinking some nut is going on another shooting rampage, and all rush back for the door at once. A dozen more people are trampled and killed. Yay! +10 awesome solution points.

The store manager is not Wal Mart.

Is anyone Wal-Mart? Who has to do something wrong before it's the fault of "Wal-Mart"? Do the CEO and majority shareholders have to personally trample someone to death or something?

The Reaper

Postby The Reaper » Sun Nov 30, 2008 12:23 am UTC

Intercept wrote:We are accusing the defendant of offering amazing deals, with low, low prices, and unprecedented rollbacks!

Sigged.

I was discussing this with my brother, aside from the "what the flying fuck? for fucking walmart? the deals weren't even that great!?", the consensus was that if we started getting trampled while working there, we'd start taking other people down with us. If all else fails, there'd be a huge pile of people going nowhere.

He also tells me that they are given warnings about situations like that, or at least they were, when he worked at walmart.

cycoden

Postby cycoden » Sun Nov 30, 2008 12:27 am UTC

The store manager is unlikely to be any more qualified at crowd control than any of the other employees. No one set out to kill this guy, and I don't think its reasonable to expect any individual to have foreseen it. Its still fucked up though.

Wal Mart probably thought they'd put on sufficient precautions (extra security and so forth - although who knows, it could be management spin and they may have known they should taken further precautions) and it sounds like there may have been agitators in the crowd.

Still, Wal Mart needed to do better, and I think are largely responsible. Ideally, anyone observed to be grossly negligent in causing the crush would be found and charged too.
VectorZero wrote:SEXUAL INTERCOURSE DISGUSTS ME!
Spoiler:
Bulvox wrote:This is probably one of the few times that I'll agree with Cycoden on anything. I just wish that my brain worked like that.

Intercept

Postby Intercept » Sun Nov 30, 2008 12:48 am UTC

Even if the manager does qualify as Wal Mart, what did he do exactly? Tell the employees not to let people in when they were closed? The people who came in the store were breaking and entering. In many circumstances/places, only they are responsible for damages that happen because of that.

Also, I'm giddy about being sigged. Giddy I tell you!

Return to “News & Articles”