Teen Not Allowed to Play Halo 3; Shoots Parents in Heads

Seen something interesting in the news or on the intertubes? Discuss it here.

Moderators: Zamfir, Hawknc, Moderators General, Prelates

Princess Marzipan

Teen Not Allowed to Play Halo 3; Shoots Parents in Heads

Postby Princess Marzipan » Tue Dec 16, 2008 2:06 am UTC

http://blog.cleveland.com/metro/2008/12 ... ad_ov.html

Schwow.

It doesn't look like anyone involved is trying to scapegoat video games in any way.

I just have one question. Why would you put the game IN THE SAME BOX AS YOUR HANDGUN. The kid plays videogames; the next step from there would be obvious to anyone who does.
"It's Saturday night. I've got no date, a two-liter of Shasta, and my all-Rush mixtape. Let's rock!"
"I am just about to be brilliant!"
General_Norris, on feminism, wrote:If you lose your six Pokémon, you lost.

Indon

Re: Teen Not Allowed to Play Halo 3; Shoots Parents in Heads

Postby Indon » Tue Dec 16, 2008 2:22 am UTC

And a pastor's kid, no less.

That's some awesome parenting there.
So, I like talking. So if you want to talk about something with me, feel free to send me a PM.

My blog, now rarely updated.

awec

Postby awec » Tue Dec 16, 2008 2:26 am UTC

That's some amazing sensationalist rubbish right there.

Whoever that journalist is, they need fired.

roc314
Is dead, and you have killed him

Postby roc314 » Tue Dec 16, 2008 2:28 am UTC

It's Halo 3! That's not even a particularly good video game. At least, if you are going to kill your PARENTS FOR TAKING AWAY A FUCKING VIDEO GAME, make sure it's a game worthy of the cause. (Sarcasm disclaimer)
awec wrote:That's some amazing sensationalist rubbish right there.

Whoever that journalist is, they need fired.
Could you explain why? the article doesn't seem that bad to me.
Hippo: roc is the good little communist that lurks in us all
Richard Stallman: Geeks like to think that they can ignore politics, you can leave politics alone, but politics won't leave you alone.
suffer-cait: roc's a pretty cool dude

scrovak

Postby scrovak » Tue Dec 16, 2008 2:31 am UTC

FUnny isn't it though?

Of course they can't blame videogames, the kid didn't even get to play it before he shot his parents for preventing him from playing it. And seriously, putting the game WITH the gun? That's like, hiding a knife in your anus. It's THAT bad of an idea.
MrGee wrote:I would never eat a person. Have you seen the conditions they're raised in?
kapojinha wrote:You're amazing, which is why I'm going to marry you.

Angua wrote:coordinated baby attacks

TheAmazingRando

Postby TheAmazingRando » Tue Dec 16, 2008 2:35 am UTC

I'm glad I wasn't the only one who thought the article was absolutely terribly written. It's a sad story, but it seems like they're trying to spice it up and make it sound even sadder.

I agree, locking up the game in the same box as a gun is asking for trouble.

Don't most stores have a policy of not selling M-rated games to people under 17? I'm surprised there hasn't been a lawsuit brought up there.

frezik

Postby frezik » Tue Dec 16, 2008 2:44 am UTC

TheAmazingRando wrote:Don't most stores have a policy of not selling M-rated games to people under 17?

You can always find a store with a minimum-wage worker who doesn't care about the policy.

I'm surprised there hasn't been a lawsuit brought up there.

After Jack Valenti Thompson got canned, nobody wants to take these things up anymore.
Last edited by frezik on Tue Dec 16, 2008 2:57 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
I do not agree with the beer you drink, but will defend to the death your right to drink it

Delass

Postby Delass » Tue Dec 16, 2008 2:45 am UTC

Er, you arent suggesting its the stores fault, in any way, are you?

TheAmazingRando

Postby TheAmazingRando » Tue Dec 16, 2008 2:46 am UTC

Delass wrote:Er, you arent suggesting its the stores fault, in any way, are you?
No, I'm just surprised that nobody has suggested that yet. It seems to come up a lot in this sort of situation.

Edit: I think you mean Jack Thompson. Jack Valenti was the head of the MPAA, and as far as I know, he retired voluntarily before his death.
Last edited by TheAmazingRando on Tue Dec 16, 2008 2:50 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Princess Marzipan

Postby Princess Marzipan » Tue Dec 16, 2008 2:47 am UTC

Indon wrote:That's some awesome parenting there.

Sometimes kids do fucked up shit and it's actually not the parents' fault - from the article, that's what it seems like in this case.
"It's Saturday night. I've got no date, a two-liter of Shasta, and my all-Rush mixtape. Let's rock!"

frezik

Postby frezik » Tue Dec 16, 2008 2:58 am UTC

TheAmazingRando wrote:Edit: I think you mean Jack Thompson. Jack Valenti was the head of the MPAA, and as far as I know, he retired voluntarily before his death.

Bah, all the Wacko Jackos run together in my head.
I do not agree with the beer you drink, but will defend to the death your right to drink it

Lucrece

Postby Lucrece » Tue Dec 16, 2008 3:43 am UTC

That's one fucked up kid to frame his father for his mother's murder.

And, by the way, this has nothing to do with parenting. Clearly, if the parents were monitoring what their son played, I would expect they wouldn't be so terrible. Furthermore, children are hardly the consequence of their parenting in many cases; this appears to be one.

I don't feel any pity for the kid; what he did was cold-blooded.
Belial wrote:That's charming, Nancy, but all I hear when you talk is a bunch of yippy dog sounds.

cwoodin

Postby cwoodin » Tue Dec 16, 2008 3:51 am UTC

He was homebound for a year with nothing to do but watch television and play video games.
I'll be honest. I laughed.
He said he never tells a lie!
He was lying about that.

Mysidic

Postby Mysidic » Tue Dec 16, 2008 3:59 am UTC

cwoodin wrote:
He was homebound for a year with nothing to do but watch television and play video games.
I'll be honest. I laughed.

I smiled a bit, and thought "That's one hell of a temper tantrum". Then I realized that it was real...

Still, that is messed up(Although I echo the sentiments that the article is poorly written, and most likely dramatized.). And I feel sad now...
""Thou shalt not lie": in other words, beware, my dear philosopher, of telling the truth." ~Nietzche

scrovak

Postby scrovak » Tue Dec 16, 2008 4:00 am UTC

When you factor in the framing of his father, it makes it sound more like this kid has been watching too much CSI and Law and Order. I guess we'll have to start banning NBC and CBS, huh?
MrGee wrote:I would never eat a person. Have you seen the conditions they're raised in?
kapojinha wrote:You're amazing, which is why I'm going to marry you.

Angua wrote:coordinated baby attacks

Kaiyas

Postby Kaiyas » Tue Dec 16, 2008 5:11 am UTC

They said their client had been under great stress because of a snowboarding accident that resulted in a severe staph infection.

I love how they just slip this in at the end.
clintonius wrote:This place is like mental masturbation

Delass

Postby Delass » Tue Dec 16, 2008 5:38 am UTC

Kaiyas wrote:
They said their client had been under great stress because of a snowboarding accident that resulted in a severe staph infection.

Im curious how he got staph snowboarding...that seems awkward.

william
Not a Raptor. Honest.

Postby william » Tue Dec 16, 2008 5:40 am UTC

Clearly, we should ban snowboarding.
SecondTalon wrote:A pile of shit can call itself a delicious pie, but that doesn't make it true.

The Reaper

Postby The Reaper » Tue Dec 16, 2008 6:12 am UTC

Mom? Mom? MOM!? MOM, WHY WONT YOU RESPAWN? CRAP DAD'S HEALTH ISN'T EVEN ALL THE WAY DOWN YET

If this were Australia.....

I wouldn't be allowed to read that article for fear of causing child abuse. Censorship for the win!

But I'm not, and that being said. the sarcasm is over now!

that's one fucked up 16yr old. There had to be more at cause than the kid thought it would be a great idea if he could get away with it.

EstLladon
Beat you to the park. From RUSSIA.

Sarcasm

Postby EstLladon » Tue Dec 16, 2008 8:57 am UTC

william wrote:Clearly, we should ban snowboarding.
But leave waterboarding unbanned! It is not that harmful if it is water and not snow.
From Russia with math.

22/7
I'm pretty sure I have "The Slavery In My Asshole" on DVD.

Postby 22/7 » Tue Dec 16, 2008 2:35 pm UTC

Nougatrocity wrote:I just have one question. Why would you put the game IN THE SAME BOX AS YOUR HANDGUN. The kid plays videogames; the next step from there would be obvious to anyone who does.
It's locked, what's the difference?
Indon wrote:That's some awesome parenting there.
Explain to me where the article indicates that this is the result of bad parenting rather than an asshole not getting his way and trying to murder his parents?
scrovak wrote:And seriously, putting the game WITH the gun? That's like, hiding a knife in your anus. It's THAT bad of an idea.
Why? They were in a lockbox. The only way the parents screwed up there is that they allowed the kid access to the key. Beyond that, I don't care if they had the game locked in there with instruments of torture and a nuclear device, the kid is the only one to blame for taking the gun and murdering his mom and attempting to murder his dad. This is definition of premeditated.
TheAmazingRando wrote:I agree, locking up the game in the same box as a gun is asking for trouble.
Why? Why does it matter that it was in the same box as the gun if it's locked? Would you rather they leave the gun lying about somewhere and only lock up the game?
Nougatrocity wrote:Sometimes kids do fucked up shit and it's actually not the parents' fault - from the article, that's what it seems like in this case.
That's pretty much how it appeared to me.
Lucerne wrote:And, by the way, this has nothing to do with parenting.
And we've swung the pendulum to the far end. Ok, I'm game, how does this have "nothing to do with parenting"? I agree, that blaming this on the parenting is probably a red herring, no better than blaming it on video games or any other scape goat, but saying that parenting has literally zero effect? I find that hard to believe.
Kaiyas wrote:
Yeah, I couldn't figure out how that played a part either, or how you'd get staph while snowboarding. I guess if you were using someone else's gear that hadn't been washed in a year or something?

Also, I guess no one saw this last bit.
The article wrote:His father forbade the games, saying that were too violent and sexually explicit.
Halo 3 was "sexually explicit"?
Totally not a hypothetical...

Steroid wrote:
bigglesworth wrote:If your economic reality is a choice, then why are you not as rich as Bill Gates?
Don't want to be.
I want to be!

Princess Marzipan

Postby Princess Marzipan » Tue Dec 16, 2008 2:43 pm UTC

22/7 wrote:
Nougatrocity wrote:I just have one question. Why would you put the game IN THE SAME BOX AS YOUR HANDGUN. The kid plays videogames; the next step from there would be obvious to anyone who does.

Uh, video game joke. Stuff you find in a box tends to be related to the quest at hand.

22/7
I'm pretty sure I have "The Slavery In My Asshole" on DVD.

Postby 22/7 » Tue Dec 16, 2008 2:50 pm UTC

Sorry, you were (apparently) making the joke and other people were serious. I thought you were saying the same thing.
Totally not a hypothetical...

Steroid wrote:
bigglesworth wrote:If your economic reality is a choice, then why are you not as rich as Bill Gates?
Don't want to be.
I want to be!

Princess Marzipan

Postby Princess Marzipan » Tue Dec 16, 2008 2:51 pm UTC

Well, I don't think it was a smart place to hide it. It seems likely that finding the gun with the game may have given the kid the idea.

That doesn't mean that this was the only factor, though - it's far from the most important one.

Lucrece

Postby Lucrece » Tue Dec 16, 2008 3:41 pm UTC

22/7 wrote:
Lucrece wrote:And, by the way, this has nothing to do with parenting.
And we've swung the pendulum to the far end. Ok, I'm game, how does this have "nothing to do with parenting"? I agree, that blaming this on the parenting is probably a red herring, no better than blaming it on video games or any other scape goat, but saying that parenting has literally zero effect? I find that hard to believe.

Hyperbole, I'm prone to it. The correct wording would be "I highly doubt that parenting was the prominent reason for this development."
Belial wrote:That's charming, Nancy, but all I hear when you talk is a bunch of yippy dog sounds.

Indon

Postby Indon » Tue Dec 16, 2008 5:07 pm UTC

Nougatrocity wrote:Sometimes kids do fucked up shit and it's actually not the parents' fault - from the article, that's what it seems like in this case.

Sure, if the kid has mental problems. Admittedly, that may be the case, but I think if they saw fit to mention stress from a previous snowboarding incident, they would have mentioned if the kid had any mental problems.

As such, it looks like he just wasn't a good person. And what else produces bad people, if not a bad upbringing?

Plus, there's that the parents were clearly censoring their kid's exposure to, well, the outside world at the least (think about it - if Halo doesn't make their decency cut, what else is being excluded? And that's assuming Halo is the absolute tamest thing they've taken from their kid), and possibly just anything they didn't understand (assuming the parents actually said Halo was sexually explicit, which to be honest sounds far-fetched even if I assumed these people were horrible parents).

Also, when they confiscated a game they didn't want their kid to play, instead of returning it or just throwing it out, they decided to store it - why, were they going to give it back to their kid in two years when he hit 18?
So, I like talking. So if you want to talk about something with me, feel free to send me a PM.

cwoodin

Postby cwoodin » Tue Dec 16, 2008 5:38 pm UTC

I'm willing to guess that the parents prohibited him from playing games that were too violent and/or sexually explicit. Halo falls under that category, since it is too violent.
The quote was most likely misinterpreted.
He was lying about that.

Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby Bakemaster » Tue Dec 16, 2008 6:09 pm UTC

Indon wrote:As such, it looks like he just wasn't a good person. And what else produces bad people, if not a bad upbringing?

Your stunning answer to the "nature vs. nurture" debate is sure to someday win you the Nobel Prize for Extra-Anal Rhetoric.
c0 = 2.13085531 × 1014 smoots per fortnight
"Apparently you can't summon an alternate timeline clone of your inner demon, guys! Remember that." —Noc

Princess Marzipan

Postby Princess Marzipan » Tue Dec 16, 2008 6:23 pm UTC

Bakemaster wrote:
Indon wrote:As such, it looks like he just wasn't a good person. And what else produces bad people, if not a bad upbringing?

Your stunning answer to the "nature vs. nurture" debate is sure to someday win you the Nobel Prize for Extra-Anal Rhetoric.

Well, if the chromosomes that combined to produce the little murderer count as parenting, and we can objectively classify chromosomes that predispose toward murder as bad...

Then yeah, bad parenting was the cause of this mess.

Intercept

Postby Intercept » Tue Dec 16, 2008 6:29 pm UTC

So who thinks the location of the gun is going to play a huge part in the defense's, "It wasn't premeditated", argument?
"I've always supported pudding, even when it was politically unpopular to do so."-Bill Nye Video

cwoodin

Postby cwoodin » Tue Dec 16, 2008 6:36 pm UTC

Intercept wrote:So who thinks the location of the gun is going to play a huge part in the defense's, "It wasn't premeditated", argument?
That's what I'd use. Just say that he was upset, of course, but he didn't intend to hurt anyone until he saw the gun in the box next to the video game. Then, when the gun went off (accidentally?) he panicked and decided to try to frame his father so that he didn't get blamed.

..Or something.
He was lying about that.

Indon

Postby Indon » Tue Dec 16, 2008 7:35 pm UTC

Bakemaster wrote:Your stunning answer to the "nature vs. nurture" debate is sure to someday win you the Nobel Prize for Extra-Anal Rhetoric.

Assuming his evil is genetic just makes the parents look even worse.

Lucrece

Postby Lucrece » Tue Dec 16, 2008 7:58 pm UTC

cwoodin wrote:
Intercept wrote:So who thinks the location of the gun is going to play a huge part in the defense's, "It wasn't premeditated", argument?
That's what I'd use. Just say that he was upset, of course, but he didn't intend to hurt anyone until he saw the gun in the box next to the video game. Then, when the gun went off (accidentally?) he panicked and decided to try to frame his father so that he didn't get blamed.

..Or something.

But he set up a "surprise". That deception alone implies premeditation. He didn't just grab the gun out of the box and go shoot them; he lured them under a situation where he could do so and set them up for a murder-suicide.

The Reaper

Postby The Reaper » Tue Dec 16, 2008 8:04 pm UTC

Nougatrocity wrote:Well, I don't think it was a smart place to hide it. It seems likely that finding the gun with the game may have given the kid the idea.

Gee, I see a gun in a box, and all I think is "Hey, a gun! I should clean this thing. I wonder if I can build my own. Oh, hey, coil guns I can build... GOOGLE COME TO ME!"

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Tue Dec 16, 2008 8:19 pm UTC

22/7 wrote:
Kaiyas wrote:
Yeah, I couldn't figure out how that played a part either, or how you'd get staph while snowboarding. I guess if you were using someone else's gear that hadn't been washed in a year or something?

Did you continue reading? Sounds like he was more or less homebound after that, recovering from the infection, which is why it would cause a great deal of stress. (Seriously, sit in your house for a year, and then tell me you feel as fine as the day you started.)

The infection itself could have come from exposure of some kind after the injury itself. From the hospital, perhaps, or something like that.
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby Bakemaster » Tue Dec 16, 2008 8:24 pm UTC

If he so much as skinned his knee in the snowboarding accident, he could have easily contracted an infection.
Indon wrote:
Bakemaster wrote:Your stunning answer to the "nature vs. nurture" debate is sure to someday win you the Nobel Prize for Extra-Anal Rhetoric.

Assuming his evil is genetic just makes the parents look even worse.

A clever lad might at this point choose to recall the old saying about assumptions.
"Apparently you can't summon an alternate timeline clone of your inner demon, guys! Remember that." —Noc

Indon

Postby Indon » Tue Dec 16, 2008 8:41 pm UTC

gmalivuk wrote:Did you continue reading? Sounds like he was more or less homebound after that, recovering from the infection, which is why it would cause a great deal of stress. (Seriously, sit in your house for a year, and then tell me you feel as fine as the day you started.)

I don't generally equate being stressed out to double-murder.

Bakemaster wrote:A clever lad might at this point choose to recall the old saying about assumptions.

Damn, rebutted in my point by a pithy saying!

Presume, then.

Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby Bakemaster » Tue Dec 16, 2008 8:53 pm UTC

Do you really not understand that there are more options to choose from than just "it's the parents" or "it's genetic"?

Indon

Postby Indon » Tue Dec 16, 2008 9:32 pm UTC

Bakemaster wrote:Do you really not understand that there are more options to choose from than just "it's the parents" or "it's genetic"?

As I'd noted earlier, no mental illness or history thereof is mentioned in the article, while a far less relevant stressful situation was covered in the news. It's been over a year since the killing, so I imagine it likely that were there any such problems involved, they would already have been analyzed, so it's not a case of there not being enough information either. There's nothing unpreventably wrong with the guy.

Princess Marzipan

Postby Princess Marzipan » Tue Dec 16, 2008 9:57 pm UTC

The point is that people can be unpredictable, and none more than teenagers. There's nothing about the article to indicate that he was overly indoctrinated with religion, or that his parents were abusively overprotective.

I suppose that guy in South Korea who got convicted of rape wouldn't have committed it if his parents had raised him right, so of course it makes sense to punish the parents for it. That's a real-life extension of the conclusion you are steering towards, and it's pretty gorram frightening.

Return to “News & Articles”