50 most loathsome people in america

Seen something interesting in the news or on the intertubes? Discuss it here.

Moderators: Zamfir, Hawknc, Moderators General, Prelates

jestingrabbit
Factoids are just Datas that haven't grown up yet

50 most loathsome people in america

Postby jestingrabbit » Mon Jan 12, 2009 7:12 pm UTC

http://buffalobeast.com/134/50mostloathsome2008.html

That's the 50 most loathsome people that you might have heard of. There are a bunch of people who are more loathsome, no doubt.

I bet everyone finds themselves nodding over at least 20 of these wittily constructed, hate propelled rants.
ameretrifle wrote:Magic space feudalism is therefore a viable idea.

22/7
I'm pretty sure I have "The Slavery In My Asshole" on DVD.

Re: 50 most loathsome people in america

Postby 22/7 » Mon Jan 12, 2009 7:59 pm UTC

I'm getting a 505 on the last 20. Pretty good, though. I especially enjoyed the ones about PUMAs, Plaxico Burress and You.
Totally not a hypothetical...

Steroid wrote:
bigglesworth wrote:If your economic reality is a choice, then why are you not as rich as Bill Gates?
Don't want to be.
I want to be!

Garm

Postby Garm » Mon Jan 12, 2009 9:09 pm UTC

I think the server is getting slammed. I got an error when I tried to connect just now. I read them earlier via a link from a different source. Absolutely wonderful.
Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
- JFK

simdude

Postby simdude » Mon Jan 12, 2009 9:54 pm UTC

Topping the list of ones I liked from it. The free credit report guy, the twilight author, and tila tequila.

Especially Ms. Tequilla's sentance. AIDS.

Mathmagic
It's not as cool as that Criss Angel stuff.

Postby Mathmagic » Mon Jan 12, 2009 10:12 pm UTC

Here is a mirror for the list in case anyone is getting a server overload error from the link in the OP.
Axman: That, and have you played DX 10 games? It's like having your corneas swabbed with clits made out of morphine.
Pathway: cocks cocks cocks

joshz

Postby joshz » Mon Jan 12, 2009 11:01 pm UTC

Mathmagic wrote:Here is a mirror for the list in case anyone is getting a server overload error from the link in the OP.
There appears to be a problem with that link, too. I get an "Unable to find the server" error, in both Safari and FF.
Disregard, it's working now.
You, sir, name? wrote:If you have over 26 levels of nesting, you've got bigger problems ... than variable naming.
suffer-cait wrote:it might also be interesting to note here that i don't like 5 fingers. they feel too bulky.

roc314
Is dead, and you have killed him

Postby roc314 » Tue Jan 13, 2009 3:59 am UTC

Heh. I was surprised Bush wasn't first, until I saw who was above him.
Hippo: roc is the good little communist that lurks in us all
Richard Stallman: Geeks like to think that they can ignore politics, you can leave politics alone, but politics won't leave you alone.
suffer-cait: roc's a pretty cool dude

clintonius

Postby clintonius » Tue Jan 13, 2009 4:20 am UTC

28. Frank Caliendo: "The only thing that could have made 'Fox NFL Sunday' any worse was two John Maddens. Mission Accomplished, dickbag."
kira wrote:*piles up some limbs and blood and a couple hearts for good measure*
GUYS. I MADE A HUMAN.
*...pokes at it with a stick*

oxoiron

Postby oxoiron » Tue Jan 13, 2009 4:20 am UTC

This one made me laugh out loud:
only recently has Greenspan accepted even marginal responsibility, admitting only that he was “partially” wrong, professing a state of “shocked disbelief” that lenders couldn’t regulate themselves, and thinking to himself, “This isn’t how it worked in Atlas Shrugged!”
On an unrelated note, I was surprised/embarrassed that Michelle Bachmann made the list. How this woman continues to get elected astonishes me and makes me ashamed to be a Minnesotan. My saving grace is that I don't live in her district, so I've never actually had a chance to vote against her.
"Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to reform (or pause and reflect)."-- Mark Twain
"There is not more dedicated criminal than a group of children."--addams

ameretrifle
Vera

Postby ameretrifle » Tue Jan 13, 2009 7:49 am UTC

...What unmitigated puerile dickishness.

I don't even like these people. I am now sorry for all of them. I do not find that enjoyable, because most of them thoroughly deserve the scorn of America. But too much of that was vile.

++$_
Mo' Money

Postby ++$_ » Tue Jan 13, 2009 8:21 am UTC

ameretrifle wrote:...What unmitigated puerile dickishness.

I don't even like these people. I am now sorry for all of them. I do not find that enjoyable, because most of them thoroughly deserve the scorn of America. But too much of that was vile.
Normally, I try to make original posts, but I have to go with the quantum ponies this time.

(I'm not feeling too sorry for Rush Limbaugh -- he spouts this same tripe much of the time -- but almost no one else on the list stoops to his level.)

BlackSails

Postby BlackSails » Tue Jan 13, 2009 8:39 am UTC

What a worthless list.

jestingrabbit

Postby jestingrabbit » Tue Jan 13, 2009 10:02 am UTC

Yeah, there's a lot of hate there, but I liked the list. I guess this confirms once and for all that I am a bad person.

but seriously, noone deserves the treatment they got in this list?

8. David Addington

Charges: In a nation fat with lawyers, it takes something special to be the worst of them all. If a White House legal argument is evil, unconstitutional and makes no actual sense, it’s a safe bet Grand Moff Addington is behind it. An expert in spook law since his early-‘80s stint as counselor to the CIA, Addington first hooked up with Cheney during the Iran-Contra hearings, even then pushing the “Unitary Executive” theory of unfettered presidential power and attempting to shoehorn dictatorship into the constitution. Addington thinks the president is above the law in times of war, which is awful convenient if you declare an endless war on a global battlefield. It’s this flimsy pretext on which the White House has evaded accountability for torture, domestic spying, and secret detention, proving that the best legal tools in DC are a straight face and a huge pair of balls.

Exhibit A: “I frankly don't know what you mean by the Unitary Theory of Government.”

Sentence: Declared an enemy combatant for farting in oval office; waterboarded with a fire hose by John Yoo.

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Tue Jan 13, 2009 2:01 pm UTC

I've never even heard of most of those people. I guess you have to be American to appreciate it.
What would Baron Harkonnen do?

segmentation fault

Postby segmentation fault » Tue Jan 13, 2009 4:29 pm UTC

personally i thought it was funny. littered with vitriol yes, but still funny.
people are like LDL cholesterol for the internet

fjafjan
THE fjafjan

Postby fjafjan » Tue Jan 13, 2009 5:03 pm UTC

SlyReaper wrote:I've never even heard of most of those people. I guess you have to be a well informed American to appreciate it.

fix'd.
I certainly think most americans have no idea who all those people are either. I recognized about 80-90%. And it was just more or less the truth, I didn't think it was all that funny. Some were let of the hook though, What about the Mitt Romney? I mean more or less all republican candidates deserve to be on that list.

It was satirically harsh. Do you feel the same way about the comedy of Lewis Black? It's essentially the same thing, a guy yelling out his frustrations about the conservatives in America, and general stupidity.
//Yepp, THE fjafjan (who's THE fjafjan?)
Liza wrote:Fjafjan, your hair is so lovely that I want to go to Sweden, collect the bit you cut off in your latest haircut and keep it in my room, and smell it. And eventually use it to complete my shrine dedicated to you.

Heisenberg

Postby Heisenberg » Tue Jan 13, 2009 5:34 pm UTC

Seemed a little contrived to have a guy who 46% of Americans thought was the best choice for president rated "more loathsome" than a guy who's got a 73% DISapproval rating.

zealo

Postby zealo » Tue Jan 13, 2009 5:46 pm UTC

46% of americans who voted. and not 'best choice for president' but 'better than the other guy', who is also on the list
ave_matthew wrote:in a perfect system a gallon of body fat is worth one third of the US GDP

++$_
Mo' Money

Postby ++$_ » Tue Jan 13, 2009 6:33 pm UTC

fjafjan wrote:

It was satirically harsh. Do you feel the same way about the comedy of Lewis Black? It's essentially the same thing, a guy yelling out his frustrations about the conservatives in America, and general stupidity.
Lewis Black just says "fuck" a lot. To the best of my knowledge, he's never done anything like this:
A face so hewn can't be found in American politics outside of the Black Hills—or possibly the Speaker's office. The envy of any giraffe prostitute, her Coulterish neck suggests a correlation between head-shoulder distance and affinity for dissembling fascism.
Excuuuuuse me? There are many valid reasons to criticize Nancy Pfotenhauer. Lewis Black would probably just say "she's fucking wrong about everything" and leave it at that.

The list was ridiculous and damages the credibility of people who have real concerns about issues.

22/7
I'm pretty sure I have "The Slavery In My Asshole" on DVD.

Postby 22/7 » Tue Jan 13, 2009 6:35 pm UTC

fjafjan wrote:I mean more or less all republican candidates national level politicians deserve to be on that list.
Totally not a hypothetical...

Steroid wrote:
bigglesworth wrote:If your economic reality is a choice, then why are you not as rich as Bill Gates?
Don't want to be.
I want to be!

jestingrabbit

Postby jestingrabbit » Tue Jan 13, 2009 7:10 pm UTC

++$_ wrote:
A face so hewn can't be found in American politics outside of the Black Hills—or possibly the Speaker's office. The envy of any giraffe prostitute, her Coulterish neck suggests a correlation between head-shoulder distance and affinity for dissembling fascism.
Excuuuuuse me? There are many valid reasons to criticize Nancy Pfotenhauer. Lewis Black would probably just say "she's fucking wrong about everything" and leave it at that.

The list was ridiculous and damages the credibility of people who have real concerns about issues.

I agree that the criticism of women's looks was misogynist and uncalled for. But I don't see how one person expressing their hatred of some public figures in a misogynist and over the top way effects the credibility of anyone else. Frankly, I think most of these people deserved to be called out for their crap.

Endless Mike

Postby Endless Mike » Tue Jan 13, 2009 8:13 pm UTC

Is this a list of child rapists? If not, it's wrong.

segmentation fault

Postby segmentation fault » Tue Jan 13, 2009 8:15 pm UTC

Endless Mike wrote:Is this a list of child rapists? If not, it's wrong.

it might be, and just the suspicion is enough.
people are like LDL cholesterol for the internet

IggyJack

Postby IggyJack » Tue Jan 13, 2009 9:05 pm UTC

simdude wrote:Topping the list of ones I liked from it. The free credit report guy, the twilight author, and tila tequila.

Especially Ms. Tequilla's sentance. AIDS.
Tila's sentence was hilarious. Shes hot, to me, but come on, go to the hospital and get checked out skank ass ho. Shit, and Kilpatrick needs to be shot Old Yeller style. "This is gonna hurt me more than you, boy...oh wait, no it won't" *BANG*
Belief in a cruel God makes a cruel man. -Thomas Paine.
My country is the world, and my religion is to do good. -Thomas Paine.

Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby Bakemaster » Tue Jan 13, 2009 9:31 pm UTC

fjafjan wrote:What about the Mitt Romney?

Seriously! I had to stand up on the stage in my high school auditorium with the rest of the national honor society while he gave some bullshit speech. The man is the dictionary definition of a slimy, two-faced career politician.
segmentation fault wrote:
Endless Mike wrote:Is this a list of child rapists? If not, it's wrong.

it might be, and just the suspicion is enough.

Spotted moments ago on the Fox News ticker: "Does Barack Obama fellate Lenin's frozen corpse nightly while humming an Islamo-Satanic incantation? Does he lubricate with the blood of partial-birth-aborted fetuses? Christian ones? We investigate, you decide!"
c0 = 2.13085531 × 1014 smoots per fortnight
"Apparently you can't summon an alternate timeline clone of your inner demon, guys! Remember that." —Noc

roc314

Postby roc314 » Wed Jan 14, 2009 12:34 am UTC

22/7 wrote:
fjafjan wrote:I mean more or less all republican candidates national level politicians deserve to be on that list.

There's certainly much more than 50 national level politicians in the USA. They can't all be one of the fifty most loathsome people in America

Plus there's a few congresspeople who shouldn't be on that list (few being key here).
fjafjan wrote:I certainly think most americans have no idea who all those people are either. I recognized about 80-90%.
I'm (a reasonably well-informed) American, and that's probably about what percentage I recognized. I bet few recognized everyone on the list.
Richard Stallman: Geeks like to think that they can ignore politics, you can leave politics alone, but politics won't leave you alone.

++$_
Mo' Money

Postby ++$_ » Wed Jan 14, 2009 1:20 am UTC

jestingrabbit wrote:I agree that the criticism of women's looks was misogynist and uncalled for. But I don't see how one person expressing their hatred of some public figures in a misogynist and over the top way effects the credibility of anyone else. Frankly, I think most of these people deserved to be called out for their crap.
Just as the race-baiting activities of some Republicans during the presidential campaign undermined their own campaign, the misogyny (and general superficiality) of the people who make these lists has the potential to undermine the progressive agenda.

When the first thing someone has to say about Pfotenhauer is re: the length of her neck, it makes it seem like that person has no substantial criticism of her. And there are so many substantial criticisms to make. Now, if I say that I don't like Pfotenhauer, before I even get a chance to explain my reasons everyone will assume that I don't like the length of her neck.

It's just like the way I feel about those people who decided that Sarah Palin's nickname should be "Caribou Barbie." Apart from that fact that it is sexist, it also makes it seem like they have nothing to say. If Sarah Palin were ugly and fat, that would not make her one bit more qualified to be Vice President, so it's a hollow criticism. Call her "Ms. Palin" like mature adults do, and criticize her for her many actual negative qualities.

EDIT: This post has too much italics.

Jesse
Vocal Terrorist

Postby Jesse » Wed Jan 14, 2009 1:33 am UTC

I thought this wans't a serious list, more of an over-the-top ragelist? I dunno, I stopped reading it very quickly. I don't know American politicians.

Delass

Postby Delass » Wed Jan 14, 2009 2:31 am UTC

I think the best thing that describes this is hyperbole.

clintonius

Postby clintonius » Wed Jan 14, 2009 2:35 am UTC

++$_ wrote:
fjafjan wrote:

Lewis Black just says "fuck" a lot. To the best of my knowledge, he's never done anything like this:

From Lewis Black's "The White Album": "Weathermen are so full of shit, it defies description. Al Roker, that big fat fuck." You were saying?

Also, you may note that the article isn't criticizing Pfotenhauer's neck as an end, but using it to make a parallel to her politics. That sort of shit is fair game. Especially in parody.
kira wrote:*piles up some limbs and blood and a couple hearts for good measure*
GUYS. I MADE A HUMAN.
*...pokes at it with a stick*

++$_
Mo' Money

Postby ++$_ » Wed Jan 14, 2009 2:49 am UTC

clintonius wrote:From Lewis Black's "The White Album": "Weathermen are so full of shit, it defies description. Al Roker, that big fat fuck." You were saying?
Unless I'm taking something in a wildly wrong context, Lewis Black is talking about meteorologists there. TV meteorologists are not really an important issue to me, so at least I don't feel like he's eroding my credibility.

That said, I do think it's puerile, and I don't agree with it. From what I've seen of him, he doesn't do that when it comes to politics (I could be wrong, as I haven't seen too much) -- he usually attacks their policy positions, rather than gratuitously insulting their appearances/physiques. But I could be wrong, and if I am, then I wouldn't approve of it when Lewis Black does it either.

Dream
WINNING

Postby Dream » Wed Jan 14, 2009 3:20 am UTC

++$_ wrote:
clintonius wrote:From Lewis Black's "The White Album": "Weathermen are so full of shit, it defies description. Al Roker, that big fat fuck." You were saying?
Unless I'm taking something in a wildly wrong context, Lewis Black is talking about meteorologists there. TV meteorologists are not really an important issue to me, so at least I don't feel like he's eroding my credibility.

???

The Weathermen
I knew a woman once, but she died soon after.

++$_
Mo' Money

Postby ++$_ » Wed Jan 14, 2009 3:21 am UTC

Dream wrote:
++$_ wrote:

???

The Weathermen
Wikipedia wrote:Albert Lincoln "Al" Roker, Jr. (born August 20, 1954) is an American television broadcaster, best known as the weather anchor for NBC's Today show. He holds American Meteorological Society Television Seal #239.
???

(EDIT: I did have to look him up.)

Dream
WINNING

Postby Dream » Wed Jan 14, 2009 3:31 am UTC

++$_ wrote:
Dream wrote:
++$_ wrote:

???

The Weathermen
Wikipedia wrote:Albert Lincoln "Al" Roker, Jr. (born August 20, 1954) is an American television broadcaster, best known as the weather anchor for NBC's Today show. He holds American Meteorological Society Television Seal #239.
???

(EDIT: I did have to look him up.)

Hmmn. I thought that was the joke. Perhaps this "comic" is, umm... crap?
I knew a woman once, but she died soon after.

++$_
Mo' Money

Postby ++$_ » Wed Jan 14, 2009 3:52 am UTC

Dream wrote:Hmmn. I thought that was the joke. Perhaps this "comic" is, umm... crap?
Oh. Maybe.

I assumed that Black was ranting about how weather forecasters get predictions wrong, which is a popular topic of rant among people who don't understand weather forecasting. But maybe it was a Weathermen-weathermen joke.

ameretrifle
Vera

Postby ameretrifle » Wed Jan 14, 2009 7:16 am UTC

I'm not saying you can't like it. I'm just saying I can't.

What was annoying was that it was really rather incisive and informative when it wasn't sentencing people to eternal abortions or comparing their visages to a chapped anus. (Chapped from gay sex, of course. That's not homophobic 'cause it's funny.) Like I said, most of these people deserve our scorn, and thoroughly. Puerile, dishonorable, off-topic smears serve ONLY as a distraction from the actual reasons we should be angry with them. It's idiocy to give people ammunition to dismiss your entire argument if you're actually saying something worthwhile.

Anyway, besides my annoyance at their ruining a perfectly valid and informative list with homophobic, misogynistic childishness, I just can't find anything that vitriolic funny. I have the same problem with a lot of sitcoms, so yeah, your mileage may vary in that regard.

Still, there's a line between frustration and hate. Frustration can be justified. Anger, too. Hate can't. There was too much hate in that thing.

fjafjan
THE fjafjan

Postby fjafjan » Wed Jan 14, 2009 1:14 pm UTC

I think you are taking this all too serious. This is satirical anger, I doubt they really think those punishments are suitable, nor that they are being entirely fair. It's just that being entirely fair isn't very funny, so this is why this makes for a better funny list.

Anyway, besides my annoyance at their ruining a perfectly valid and informative list

i don't think listing "loathsome people" is very informative really, it's more or less saying who you find annoying, which depends alot from person to person.
//Yepp, THE fjafjan (who's THE fjafjan?)
Liza wrote:Fjafjan, your hair is so lovely that I want to go to Sweden, collect the bit you cut off in your latest haircut and keep it in my room, and smell it. And eventually use it to complete my shrine dedicated to you.

Lucrece

Postby Lucrece » Wed Jan 14, 2009 1:38 pm UTC

Bah, I'm gay, and I found the angry gay sex bit hilarious. It may be obviously ignorant of the actual mechanic details, but this person was vicious in his satire. I loved this list, and I usually don't have the attention span to read through most of these silly lists.

P.S. And the homophobic accusations? Did you actually bother to read the list? This list was extremely gay-positive, with its indignation at Prop. 8 and Warren.
Belial wrote:That's charming, Nancy, but all I hear when you talk is a bunch of yippy dog sounds.

roc314

Postby roc314 » Wed Jan 14, 2009 3:49 pm UTC

Lucrece wrote:P.S. And the homophobic accusations? Did you actually bother to read the list? This list was extremely gay-positive, with its indignation at Prop. 8 and Warren.
It's possible to have some gay-positive areas and some gay-negative areas in the same work. Even something which is gay-positive overall can still have some gay-negative spots.

Return to “News & Articles”