Chomsky's latest article

Seen something interesting in the news or on the intertubes? Discuss it here.

Moderators: Zamfir, Hawknc, Moderators General, Prelates

mrandrewv

Chomsky's latest article

Postby mrandrewv » Thu Jan 15, 2009 9:42 am UTC

http://www.chomsky.info/articles/20081125.htm

Yeah I know it was written a couple of months back but I only just saw it so :b...

Highlights: the US sabotages democracy in Latin America, the world media ignores the fact that Obama's election is only historic by western standards, not world standards, and Obama hires people who receive more money for big business lobbyists than anyone else, really.

I love reading Chomsky because his articles always put forward a completely different discourse to the one the mainstream media obsessively repeat.

And if you read his stuff from 10, 20 years ago you find that he gets proven right time and time again.

Even if you don't like the guy you gotta admit that he is the most important academic in the world.

So what do you guys think?
It's all very interesting...

Wiglaf

Re: Chomsky's latest article

Postby Wiglaf » Sat Jan 17, 2009 7:07 pm UTC

mrandrewv wrote:the US sabotages democracy in Latin America

Gee, suprise! We've been doing this, since, erm, at LEAST Teddy Roosevelt.

Kizyr

Postby Kizyr » Sun Jan 18, 2009 5:01 am UTC

mrandrewv wrote:Even if you don't like the guy you gotta admit that he is the most important academic in the world.

Yeah, but he's a computational linguist... http://www.xkcd.com/114/

But really. I've always known him for his political work; I was surprised when I found a lot of folks who knew him purely for his work in linguistics. KF
~Kizyr

Pez Dispens3r
is not a stick figure.

Postby Pez Dispens3r » Sun Jan 18, 2009 11:39 pm UTC

mrandrewv wrote:Even if you don't like the guy you gotta admit that he is the most important academic in the world.

His political writings are about America for Americans, so I find it difficult to swallow any statement claiming he is the most important in the world at anything, because of the 'world' bit. He might be one of the most well-known intellectuals, but so is Dawkins, and that guy isn't worth a damn IMO.
Mighty Jalapeno wrote:I feel like you're probably an ocelot, and I feel like I want to eat you. Feeling is fun!
this isn't my cow

Jahoclave
sourmilk's moderator

Postby Jahoclave » Sun Jan 18, 2009 11:47 pm UTC

Pez Dispens3r wrote:

His political writings are about America for Americans, so I find it difficult to swallow any statement claiming he is the most important in the world at anything, because of the 'world' bit. He might be one of the most well-known intellectuals, but so is Dawkins, and that guy isn't worth a damn IMO.

He'll be worth a little bit more than a damn if we actually manage to score him at our Bible Belt University.

Quite frankly, the article spurred a sort of "and this is news" reaction. It's not like you couldn't look at the world and realize his conclusion. I don't even have my B.A. finished yet and I could have written an article pointing that out. And fuck Linguistics. Lit theory is much more fun.

BlackSails

Postby BlackSails » Mon Jan 19, 2009 12:23 am UTC

Correct me if I am somehow delusional, but Saddam Hussein no longer exists, right?

Tehran certainly wants nuclear weapons; and its reasoning is not illogical. Iran was gassed into surrender in the first Persian Gulf War; Pakistan, Iran's ever more radicalized Sunni neighbor to the southeast, has nuclear weapons; Saddam Hussein, with his Scuds and his weapons-of-mass-destruction ambitions, is next door

There are other issues with the paper (like his Moorish accusation of Israel violating the NPT; yes, Israel having nukes is against the NPT. But Israel (along with any country that hasnt signed it) is no more bound by the NPT than I am bound by Swedish law.)

However, is main point I think is completely correct. The western world has only a facade of democracy. Decisions are made according to the desires of donors, not "the people"

Jahoclave
sourmilk's moderator

Postby Jahoclave » Mon Jan 19, 2009 12:39 am UTC

BlackSails wrote:Correct me if I am somehow delusional, but Saddam Hussein no longer exists, right?

Tehran certainly wants nuclear weapons; and its reasoning is not illogical. Iran was gassed into surrender in the first Persian Gulf War; Pakistan, Iran's ever more radicalized Sunni neighbor to the southeast, has nuclear weapons; Saddam Hussein, with his Scuds and his weapons-of-mass-destruction ambitions, is next door

There are other issues with the paper (like his Moorish accusation of Israel violating the NPT; yes, Israel having nukes is against the NPT. But Israel (along with any country that hasnt signed it) is no more bound by the NPT than I am bound by Swedish law.)

However, is main point I think is completely correct. The western world has only a facade of democracy. Decisions are made according to the desires of donors, not "the people"

To be honest, it's probably an editing error. That part of the article was probably written before Saddam was deposed. Between beginning writing and the end publication it can be a few years for just a single article.

BlackSails

Postby BlackSails » Mon Jan 19, 2009 12:42 am UTC

Jahoclave wrote:To be honest, it's probably an editing error. That part of the article was probably written before Saddam was deposed. Between beginning writing and the end publication it can be a few years for just a single article.

Saddam was executed over 2 years ago. He was deposed over 5 years ago. But you might be right. The article reads like it was two (or three) seperate articles that were merged.

stapleface

Postby stapleface » Mon Jan 19, 2009 1:12 am UTC

that section begins with
The leading neoconservative expert on Iran, Reuel Marc Gerecht, formerly in the CIA Middle East division, wrote in 2000 that:

stop skim reading

Mzyxptlk

Postby Mzyxptlk » Mon Jan 19, 2009 8:20 am UTC

BlackSails wrote:There are other issues with the paper (like his Moorish accusation of Israel violating the NPT; yes, Israel having nukes is against the NPT. But Israel (along with any country that hasnt signed it) is no more bound by the NPT than I am bound by Swedish law.)

I think the point is that the US should never have given Israel the opportunity to get nuclear weapons, as per the NPT, which the Americans did sign.
"Once upon a time, an infinite number of people lived perfect, blissful, eternal lives."

Return to “News & Articles”