Inauguration News Thread

Seen something interesting in the news or on the intertubes? Discuss it here.

Moderators: Zamfir, Hawknc, Moderators General, Prelates

fjafjan
THE fjafjan

Re: Inauguration News Thread

Postby fjafjan » Mon Jan 19, 2009 5:53 pm UTC

Mighty Jalapeno wrote:Do you believe in miracles? Yes!

Italy winning the world cup is a much bigger miracle if you ask me. Of course Italy play shitty football and this is the equivalent to the Mighty Ducks losing in the final against the ruffing evil team.
//Yepp, THE fjafjan (who's THE fjafjan?)
Liza wrote:Fjafjan, your hair is so lovely that I want to go to Sweden, collect the bit you cut off in your latest haircut and keep it in my room, and smell it. And eventually use it to complete my shrine dedicated to you.

Mighty Jalapeno
Inne Juste 7 Dayes I Wille Make You A Hero!

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Mon Jan 19, 2009 6:02 pm UTC

... possibly, but none of those things had Al Michaels saying "Do you believe in miracles? YES!" and thus have nothing to do with my post.

Go Obama!

My wife's forum has a thread about Obama's drug use, and how it shouldn't be tolerated (they are mentioning Bush's drug use, too, but don't seem to mind) and when I pointed out that the American justice system is based on rehabilitation, atonement and forgiveness, they laughed at me.

lesliesage

Postby lesliesage » Mon Jan 19, 2009 7:14 pm UTC

deleted
Last edited by lesliesage on Sat Oct 09, 2010 11:15 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

lesliesage

Postby lesliesage » Mon Jan 19, 2009 7:51 pm UTC

deleted
Last edited by lesliesage on Sat Oct 09, 2010 11:15 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Mighty Jalapeno

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Mon Jan 19, 2009 8:00 pm UTC

I wonder what Lincoln would say, if he'd been mic'd?

"I can't believe I had two Bushes in my party."
"You elected a black guy? I waited 150 years for someone to get my point."
"I beat TWO Democratic parties, and a party who just wanted to keep slavery. You guys got it easy."
"I was born in 200 log cabins."
"Barack's from my town, my state. Illinois represent!"
"Could I be any whiter?"
"Real holographic simulated evil Lincoln is BACK!"

lesliesage

Postby lesliesage » Mon Jan 19, 2009 8:16 pm UTC

nectarine
Last edited by lesliesage on Sun Oct 10, 2010 8:51 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Luthen

Postby Luthen » Mon Jan 19, 2009 10:23 pm UTC

lesliesage wrote:http://www.obamamagazine.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/06/hope-train.jpg
Yes I can.
So that's how he won. He has telepathy.

I wonder if the inauguration is going to be like the moon landing? Or JFK getting shot? Too bad school's out down here cause I'm sure kids would love a couple of hours of TV.

Off topic:
Spoiler:
Jack Saladin wrote:
Kizyr wrote:
Luthen wrote:On topic: America really goes the whole hog for its inaugurations, doesn't it? I'm not actually sure which day our latest PM took the rei(g)ns.
This really is an exception. Inaugurations aren't normally anything like this. It's the combination of an incredibly unpopular president leaving office, and an incredibly popular president-elect being sworn in. Add to that how historic Obama's election in and of itself is, and you have the perfect recipe for attracting millions of people to the inauguration. If McCain (or almost any of the other folks in the primaries) had been elected, I doubt there'd be near this much celebration. KF
Not to mention the PM isn't even the head of state, so isn't really comparable to the PUSA. Think about the fuss the Commonwealth'll make over the crowning of the next King.
Looking at who that's likely to be there might be riots or something. More likely most of us won't notice that much either besides "Slow news day, all they've got to show is some middle aged bloke getting a fancy hat."
My fancy new blog Image I am not a vampire! Image PM my location for a prize!*

rnew: ALL GLORY TO THE HYPNOAVATAR!
*Terms + conditions changeable

Kizyr

Postby Kizyr » Tue Jan 20, 2009 4:00 am UTC

So is anyone else going to be there tomorrow? I'll post some pictures if I can get a few good ones in.

I went downtown earlier today. It's already more packed than I've ever seen it ever since I moved here 7-8 years ago.

Oh! I also saw those Westboro Baptist Church guys in the flesh. Like, all 12 of them. Holding up little "Obama is the Antichrist" signs and everything. KF
~Kizyr

lesliesage

Postby lesliesage » Tue Jan 20, 2009 11:03 am UTC

deleted
Last edited by lesliesage on Sat Oct 09, 2010 11:21 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

keozen
The Bearded FaiD Batman

Postby keozen » Tue Jan 20, 2009 11:54 am UTC

Well, it'll all be going down at around 15:30 onwards here in the uk. I may pop a live feed on while I work, seen as I won't be out of the office until 17-18:00ish (Rehearsal tonight so I'm going straight there from work).

fjafjan
THE fjafjan

Postby fjafjan » Tue Jan 20, 2009 12:53 pm UTC

Mississippi - We are blatantly racist fucks.
//Yepp, THE fjafjan (who's THE fjafjan?)
Liza wrote:Fjafjan, your hair is so lovely that I want to go to Sweden, collect the bit you cut off in your latest haircut and keep it in my room, and smell it. And eventually use it to complete my shrine dedicated to you.

ian

Postby ian » Tue Jan 20, 2009 2:45 pm UTC

keozen wrote:Well, it'll all be going down at around 15:30 onwards here in the uk. I may pop a live feed on while I work, seen as I won't be out of the office until 17-18:00ish (Rehearsal tonight so I'm going straight there from work).

i dont suppose you know of any feeds that have subtitles? i got no sound here

keozen
The Bearded FaiD Batman

Postby keozen » Tue Jan 20, 2009 3:30 pm UTC

ian wrote:
keozen wrote:Well, it'll all be going down at around 15:30 onwards here in the uk. I may pop a live feed on while I work, seen as I won't be out of the office until 17-18:00ish (Rehearsal tonight so I'm going straight there from work).

Alas no. The BBC have a good feed going at the moment though. Even without sound you'll be getting a good view. At the moment they're all still going around spouting the same info in a loop, they don't have much to say until it starts in about an hour.

ian

Postby ian » Tue Jan 20, 2009 3:34 pm UTC

yeah that's what i've got going at the moment. it's a pity because they do the subtitles for the tv broadcast, no reason they couldn't add them to the feed.

keozen
The Bearded FaiD Batman

Postby keozen » Tue Jan 20, 2009 3:49 pm UTC

Well XKCD'ians it's halfway there, W just left the whitehouse for the last time as President.

Mighty Jalapeno

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Tue Jan 20, 2009 4:53 pm UTC

fjafjan wrote:Mississippi - We are blatantly racist fucks.

Well, stop it then!

ian

Postby ian » Tue Jan 20, 2009 5:10 pm UTC

Um, yay! Done.

MikeBabaguh

Postby MikeBabaguh » Tue Jan 20, 2009 5:10 pm UTC

Ugh, BOTH he and Roberts flubbed the Oath of Office.
Pursue happiness, with diligence.

keozen
The Bearded FaiD Batman

Postby keozen » Tue Jan 20, 2009 5:13 pm UTC

Amoeba

Postby Amoeba » Tue Jan 20, 2009 5:22 pm UTC

He's now set the record for a black president not being shot!
Jesus Christ you have confused me

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Tue Jan 20, 2009 5:30 pm UTC

Hahaha, what a rocky swearing in, and what a cool speech. I particularly enjoyed his:
(paraphrased?)
"We are a country of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus... Oh, and non-believers..."

But, my coworkers and I cheered when he said "restore science to its rightful place"
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

Yakk
Poster with most posts but no title.

Postby Yakk » Tue Jan 20, 2009 5:31 pm UTC

ian wrote:

http://arkansasmatters.com/content/full ... cid=179881

This is the internet. :)
One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision - BR

Last edited by JHVH on Fri Oct 23, 4004 BCE 6:17 pm, edited 6 times in total.

natraj

Postby natraj » Tue Jan 20, 2009 5:32 pm UTC

ian wrote:

OOPS. Totally late now since his speech is over but if you want to watch the rest, the inaugural page has captions on their feed. http://inaugural.senate.gov/
You want to know the future, love? Then wait:
I'll answer your impatient questions. Still --
They'll call it chance, or luck, or call it Fate,
The cards and stars that tumble as they will.

pronouns: they or he

sakeniwefu

Postby sakeniwefu » Tue Jan 20, 2009 5:43 pm UTC

If the president of my country said the G word so many times and had two religious leaders speaking in his inauguration, I would be scared as shit.

Dobblesworth
Dobblesworth, here's the title you requested over three years ago. -Banana

Postby Dobblesworth » Tue Jan 20, 2009 5:46 pm UTC

lesliesage wrote:Edit: I was born in 200 log cabins?

I'm assuming it's a cheap assault on American tourism industry, with their plaques of "<famous bloke> has an arbitrary link to this building/plot of land", potentially an infestation of log cabins claiming to be the true birthplace of Abe.

---
Certainly loved how he frakked up his Oath of Microsoft Office 2007, both jumping the gun on one line, before forgetting his words on the next. Legendary! If he can screw up that so easily, who knows what's going to happen politically :P

"we will harness the power of the sun, the wind ... in our ... automobiles" [I know I've chopped words out here, but it's still the same phrase-meaning]; I'd like to see his blueprints for his 'The New Prius With A 15 Terawatt Wind Turbine Shoved Up Its Arse'

That inauguration poem made me turn off my live stream. No way was I going to waste bandwidth to hear drivel about "make do and mend" philosophy, or "zomgs it is teh loud in teh cities durin teh workin day lolz"

I don't think he's maintained the trust of certain people with his statement of "America is a country of Christians Jews Muslims Hindus Sikhs Buddhists Jedi HareKrishnans Confucians and NON-BELIEVERS!"

seladore

Postby seladore » Tue Jan 20, 2009 5:50 pm UTC

sakeniwefu wrote:If the president of my country said the G word so many times and had two religious leaders speaking in his inauguration, I would be scared as shit.

I agree. If the next british PM has preachers at the event, I think people won't be impressed.
I won't be, anyhow.

Mighty Jalapeno

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Tue Jan 20, 2009 5:57 pm UTC

Dobblesworth wrote:
lesliesage wrote:Edit: I was born in 200 log cabins?

I'm assuming it's a cheap assault on American tourism industry, with their plaques of "<famous bloke> has an arbitrary link to this building/plot of land", potentially an infestation of log cabins claiming to be the true birthplace of Abe.

... what?

Futurama.

"Robotic President Lincoln?"
"Yeah, but he's got multiple personality syndrome. ALL of them are Lincoln."
"I was born in 200 log cabins."

aleflamedyud
wants your cookies

Postby aleflamedyud » Tue Jan 20, 2009 6:01 pm UTC

"With kindness comes naïveté. Courage becomes foolhardiness. And dedication has no reward. If you can't accept any of that, you are not fit to be a graduate student."

e946

Postby e946 » Tue Jan 20, 2009 6:07 pm UTC

My heart did a small little cheer when he mentioned "non-believers" when mentioning the religions of america. Not a huge deal, but recognition is a nice change of pace.

ian

Postby ian » Tue Jan 20, 2009 6:09 pm UTC

natraj wrote:
OOPS. Totally late now since his speech is over but if you want to watch the rest, the inaugural page has captions on their feed. http://inaugural.senate.gov/

i finished in time to listen to it, but thanks anyway

psyck0

Postby psyck0 » Tue Jan 20, 2009 6:24 pm UTC

sakeniwefu wrote:If the president of my country said the G word so many times and had two religious leaders speaking in his inauguration, I would be scared as shit.

If I ever run for public office, I am going to make a huge deal out of being an atheist. When people ask me why, I'll say because it gives me moral authority over the religious right. When they ask for a REAL answer, I'll say because religion has no fucking place within 100 meters of public service.

frezik

Postby frezik » Tue Jan 20, 2009 6:25 pm UTC

Within the context of the US, it's very hard to get elected to anything without at least some lip service to religion. Obama's father was athiest, and his mother agnostic, which is what Obama himself was before joining the United Church of Christ, largely for political reasons--it's a very well-connected church in the Chicago African American community. If he's secret anything, he's a secret agnostic.

(Not defending the facts above, just explaining.)
I do not agree with the beer you drink, but will defend to the death your right to drink it

Indon

Postby Indon » Tue Jan 20, 2009 6:26 pm UTC

Was an awesome speech. Bunch of people working in my building were downstairs at the foyer TV watching it.
So, I like talking. So if you want to talk about something with me, feel free to send me a PM.

My blog, now rarely updated.

Delalyra

Postby Delalyra » Tue Jan 20, 2009 6:30 pm UTC

Add me to the people who cheered at mentions of non-believers and science. It's a small thing, but still! Recognition is wonderful. :)
you may remember me from 2008 or 2009. I left for a while. I'm now sporadically back. I tumble here.

aleflamedyud
wants your cookies

Postby aleflamedyud » Tue Jan 20, 2009 6:49 pm UTC

As to the religion, I was personally wondering why the pastor felt the need to name Jesus as "Yeshua". Liked the "Isa" bit though.
"With kindness comes naïveté. Courage becomes foolhardiness. And dedication has no reward. If you can't accept any of that, you are not fit to be a graduate student."

mstrzerg

Postby mstrzerg » Tue Jan 20, 2009 7:32 pm UTC

Dobblesworth wrote:Certainly loved how he frakked up his Oath of Microsoft Office 2007, both jumping the gun on one line, before forgetting his words on the next. Legendary! If he can screw up that so easily, who knows what's going to happen politically :P

You might want to read this:
http://blogs.abcnews.com/theworldnewser/2009/01/the-inuagural-o.html

While the jumping the gun was Obama, the second one was Roberts. Just to be fair.

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Tue Jan 20, 2009 7:37 pm UTC

The man uses metaphors and doesn't misunderestimate things. I giggled at the flub, but was hardly bothered. Powerful speech.
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

Dobblesworth
Dobblesworth, here's the title you requested over three years ago. -Banana

Postby Dobblesworth » Tue Jan 20, 2009 7:51 pm UTC

mstrzerg wrote:
Dobblesworth wrote:Certainly loved how he frakked up his Oath of Office, both jumping the gun on one line, before forgetting his words on the next. Legendary! If he can screw up that so easily, who knows what's going to happen politically :P

You might want to read this:
http://blogs.abcnews.com/theworldnewser/2009/01/the-inuagural-o.html

While the jumping the gun was Obama, the second one was Roberts. Just to be fair.

Ah right, okay. I see where you're going. Wasn't aware that the oathtaker was initially reading it out wrong. Just watching it as an outsider not exactly knowing the script, as it were, I considered it as...
Obama: ... that I will execute ... erm, line please?
Roberts: ... <line segment> ...
Obama: ... <line segment re-ordered, line segment itself a re-ordering of The Book's Version> ...

It's always nice to be corrected.

DaMullet

Postby DaMullet » Tue Jan 20, 2009 8:54 pm UTC

I guess that makes me the third who was happy he remembered all us zombies in his religious blarg.
Will wrote:Andrew Jackson was all kinds of badass.

SecondTalon wrote:Out in the wasteland
Driving cars of rusted steel
oh, look. Burma Shave.

The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:HACKS ARE STING OUR SYLLES AND SING THEM TO TERRISTS!

Mighty Jalapeno

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Tue Jan 20, 2009 9:00 pm UTC

Oh 'bama

I remember all my life
Presidents were dumbified
Shadows of a man
In his memorial
Cryin' in the night
The night goes into

Mornin', just another day
Happy people pass my way
Lookin' in their eyes