Blagojevich skips own trial

Seen something interesting in the news or on the intertubes? Discuss it here.

Moderators: Zamfir, Hawknc, Moderators General, Prelates

22/7
I'm pretty sure I have "The Slavery In My Asshole" on DVD.

Blagojevich skips own trial

Postby 22/7 » Mon Jan 26, 2009 7:24 pm UTC

That's right, he isn't going to his own trial. Surely he's got someplace more important to be? Of course he does. The View.

Article.

My favorite part, however.
Rod Blagojevich wrote:But Blagojevich has been able to take some solace from his predicament. He told the network that when he was arrested on federal corruption charges last month, he was comforted by thinking of other jailed leaders, such as Nelson Mandela, the Rev. Martin Luther King Jr. and Mohandas Gandhi.
Yes, you're just like Mandela, King and Gandhi.
Totally not a hypothetical...

Steroid wrote:
bigglesworth wrote:If your economic reality is a choice, then why are you not as rich as Bill Gates?
Don't want to be.
I want to be!

lesliesage

Re: Blagojevich skips own trial

Postby lesliesage » Mon Jan 26, 2009 8:48 pm UTC

deleted
Last edited by lesliesage on Sat Oct 09, 2010 10:36 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

EsotericWombat
Colorful Orator

Postby EsotericWombat » Tue Jan 27, 2009 11:00 pm UTC

I can't believe that Burris took the job.

"Hey, how would you like to be tainted with my horrible legacy of corruption and also be used as my giant raised middle finger to the state of Illinois?"

"Ok sure! But make sure that you exploit my race as a means of making the nomination stick despite everything you just said!"

Lt Greatsocks

Postby Lt Greatsocks » Wed Jan 28, 2009 4:10 am UTC

Oh man. I love Blagojevich so much. I heard something on the Daily Show about him threatening the owner of a hospital for financing or something. That guy's a riot.
Fuck you, I'm the Crowing.

Jahoclave
sourmilk's moderator

Postby Jahoclave » Wed Jan 28, 2009 4:30 am UTC

Lt Greatsocks wrote:Oh man. I love Blagojevich so much. I heard something on the Daily Show about him threatening the owner of a hospital for financing or something. That guy's a riot.

Yeah, it makes the St. Louis news interesting. Oh look, the fuck up from Illinois is on- not that we were doing much better with our fucktarded son of a fucktard, but he's gone now.

I'm just glad Blago isn't married to Palin. Between them I don't think anybody would ever understand a thing their child would say.

22/7

Postby 22/7 » Wed Jan 28, 2009 1:50 pm UTC

Did anyone else see his interview with... Katie Couric maybe? where he wanted to make a point of the fact that when he was saying those things, it's not like there was a woman on the phone?

Steroid wrote:
bigglesworth wrote:If your economic reality is a choice, then why are you not as rich as Bill Gates?
Don't want to be.
I want to be!

Gelsamel
Lame and emo

Postby Gelsamel » Wed Jan 28, 2009 1:56 pm UTC

22/7 wrote:Did anyone else see his interview with... Katie Couric maybe? where he wanted to make a point of the fact that when he was saying those things, it's not like there was a woman on the phone?

Wait what? It sounds very sexist but what is it even supposed to imply?
"Give up here?"
- > No
"Do you accept defeat?"
- > No
"Do you think games are silly little things?"
- > No
"Is it all pointless?"
- > No
"Do you admit there is no meaning to this world?"
- > No

joshz

Postby joshz » Wed Jan 28, 2009 2:04 pm UTC

Gelsamel wrote:
22/7 wrote:Did anyone else see his interview with... Katie Couric maybe? where he wanted to make a point of the fact that when he was saying those things, it's not like there was a woman on the phone?

He cursed a LOT when asking for money.

Also, I saw a quote in the paper the other day (I don't have a link) that he said something along the lines of "if they can do this to a governor, they can do this to any Illinois citizen." Yeah, cause every Illinois citizen is impeachable. That makes sense.
You, sir, name? wrote:If you have over 26 levels of nesting, you've got bigger problems ... than variable naming.
suffer-cait wrote:it might also be interesting to note here that i don't like 5 fingers. they feel too bulky.

22/7

Postby 22/7 » Wed Jan 28, 2009 2:11 pm UTC

Gelsamel wrote:

That women have sensibilities. That you don't want to offend. Cause you'll give them the vapors.

There's something you have to understand about Mr. Blagojevich. He's an idiot.

Steroid wrote:
Don't want to be.
I want to be!

MartianInvader

Postby MartianInvader » Wed Jan 28, 2009 2:56 pm UTC

joshz wrote:Also, I saw a quote in the paper the other day (I don't have a link) that he said something along the lines of "if they can do this to a governor, they can do this to any Illinois citizen." Yeah, cause every Illinois citizen is impeachable. That makes sense.

Seriously? He said that? Dear God, soon any Illinois citizen will be able to be punished for violating the law! What kind of world are we leaving our children??
Last edited by MartianInvader on Fri Jan 30, 2009 3:53 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Let's have a fervent argument, mostly over semantics, where we all claim the burden of proof is on the other side!

joshz

Postby joshz » Wed Jan 28, 2009 2:59 pm UTC

MartianInvader wrote:
joshz wrote:Also, I saw a quote in the paper the other day (I don't have a link) that he said something along the lines of "if they can do this to a governor, they can do this to any Illinois citizen." Yeah, cause every Illinois citizen is impeachable. That makes sense.

Seriously? He said that? Dear God, soon any Illinois citizen will be able to be punished for violating the law! What kind of world are we leaving our children??
(Fix your quote tags, please.)
Link with all that and more: http://blogs.chicagotribune.com/news_co ... alogy.html
That just makes my head hurt.
You, sir, name? wrote:If you have over 26 levels of nesting, you've got bigger problems ... than variable naming.
suffer-cait wrote:it might also be interesting to note here that i don't like 5 fingers. they feel too bulky.

BlackSails

Postby BlackSails » Wed Jan 28, 2009 3:05 pm UTC

http://www.theonion.com/content/news_br ... st_getting

SPRINGFIELD, IL—Hoo, boy, if you thought Illinois governor Rod Blagojevich had finished soliciting bribes from state officials, shamelessly defying federal investigators, and generally acting like a megalomaniacal lunatic, you'd better think again. The crazy bastard, sources confirmed Monday, is just getting warmed up. "I will not relinquish my position as governor, and I will continue to fight these outrageous allegations," Blagojevich said Tuesday, referring to the multiple counts of fraud and extortion being leveled against him, and hinting at a range of other insanely illegal activities you wouldn't believe if he told you. "I know the good people of the state of Illinois support my complete and total exoneration, and look forward to my possible 2016 presidential bid." As of press time, no one could believe the stones on this guy.

Seriously though, I dont think he understands how serious everyone else is about it.

joshz

Postby joshz » Wed Jan 28, 2009 3:06 pm UTC

The sad thing is that the Onion barely had to make anything up for that.

22/7

Postby 22/7 » Wed Jan 28, 2009 7:11 pm UTC

Apparently yesterday he compared himself to Jimmy Stewart in those old "fighting for the little guy" movies (as usual, he wasn't making a lot of sense).

Steroid wrote:
Don't want to be.
I want to be!

EsotericWombat
Colorful Orator

Postby EsotericWombat » Wed Jan 28, 2009 7:33 pm UTC

I think Rachel might have nailed him

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26315908/#28882609

lesliesage

Postby lesliesage » Wed Jan 28, 2009 11:05 pm UTC

nectarine
Last edited by lesliesage on Sun Oct 10, 2010 10:08 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

EsotericWombat
Colorful Orator

Postby EsotericWombat » Wed Jan 28, 2009 11:21 pm UTC

It was Keith Olbermann who advocated for her. And who made her his backup host for his days off

lesliesage

Postby lesliesage » Wed Jan 28, 2009 11:30 pm UTC

nectarine
Last edited by lesliesage on Sun Oct 10, 2010 10:09 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

EsotericWombat
Colorful Orator

Postby EsotericWombat » Thu Jan 29, 2009 2:49 am UTC

Hah! I forgot who I was talking to.

Clumpy

Postby Clumpy » Thu Jan 29, 2009 7:11 am UTC

Blagojevich is a caricature of corruption, but you've gotta love the ego on that guy, shaking hands with the shallow tools on The View and other morning shows while late-night talk shows only make jokes about his hair. It's not just the senate seat thing - really reading up on this guy makes it pretty clear how thoroughly dethpicable he is.

lesliesage

Postby lesliesage » Thu Jan 29, 2009 12:11 pm UTC

delete
Last edited by lesliesage on Sat Oct 09, 2010 10:22 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

EsotericWombat
Colorful Orator

Postby EsotericWombat » Thu Jan 29, 2009 10:12 pm UTC

I loved Ben Affleck's impersonation, but with the exception of the "special comment" portion, thought that the writing was utter crap. There are some basic concepts of sketch comedy that SNL doesn't seem to understand.

I think the fact that even the Democrats in Illinois didn't like him speaks well for them. On the other hand, the GOP were doing their best to defend people like Delay.

armandtanzarian

Postby armandtanzarian » Thu Jan 29, 2009 11:56 pm UTC

Well, as of 4.50pm CST, he's gone. Cue the self-pitying TV tour Stage 2.

frezik

Postby frezik » Fri Jan 30, 2009 12:23 am UTC

That's one down. Only 49 more governors, 535 congress criters, and one president to go!
I do not agree with the beer you drink, but will defend to the death your right to drink it

joshz

Postby joshz » Fri Jan 30, 2009 12:31 am UTC

frezik wrote:That's one down. Only 49 more governors, 535 congress criters, and one president to go!
Uh, what?

Arc

Postby Arc » Fri Jan 30, 2009 1:55 am UTC

frezik wrote:That's one down. Only ... one president to go!

You posted that part about nine days too late.

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Fri Jan 30, 2009 2:00 am UTC

armandtanzarian wrote:Well, as of 4.50pm CST, he's gone. Cue the self-pitying TV tour Stage 2.

I love that it was a 59-0 decision.
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

joshz

Postby joshz » Fri Jan 30, 2009 2:02 am UTC

gmalivuk wrote:
armandtanzarian wrote:Well, as of 4.50pm CST, he's gone. Cue the self-pitying TV tour Stage 2.

I love that it was a 59-0 decision.
We need Jesse in here.
And it's the Anti-Corruption League 59, Blagojevich 0.

frezik

Postby frezik » Fri Jan 30, 2009 3:28 am UTC

Arc wrote:
frezik wrote:That's one down. Only ... one president to go!

You posted that part about nine days too late.

I figured I'd just throw everyone in as long as I was at it. Should have included 9 SCOTUS Justices, too. Don't have time to count all the representitives in state-level congresses.
I do not agree with the beer you drink, but will defend to the death your right to drink it

wisnij

Postby wisnij » Fri Jan 30, 2009 6:47 am UTC

For the sake of symmetry, I propose we refer to him as "Blogojevich".
I burn the cheese. It does not burn me.

Chfan

Postby Chfan » Fri Jan 30, 2009 11:23 am UTC

Does nobody notice that on Keith Olbermann whenever he talks about him the words "Blagosphere" are at the bottom as the little title he uses? Weird.
Just FYI, the guy isn't avatar isn't me. But he seems pretty cool.

lesliesage

Postby lesliesage » Fri Jan 30, 2009 3:06 pm UTC

delete
Last edited by lesliesage on Sat Oct 09, 2010 10:22 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

BlackSails

Postby BlackSails » Fri Jan 30, 2009 3:30 pm UTC

lesliesage wrote:
frezik wrote:That's one down. Only 49 more governors, 535 congress criters, and one president to go!
Oh me yarm you're so witty for hating democracy! God, I think I'm going to become an anarchist just because you make it sound so fucking cool. Let's all go and be too cool for anything.

I dont think he hates democracy, but its pretty reasonable to think that the large majority of the people mentioned are corrupt. They all take money from special interest groups and then vote on bills relating to those groups. For anyone else, that would be bribery.

frezik

Postby frezik » Fri Jan 30, 2009 4:26 pm UTC

BlackSails wrote:
lesliesage wrote:
Oh me yarm you're so witty for hating democracy! God, I think I'm going to become an anarchist just because you make it sound so fucking cool. Let's all go and be too cool for anything.

I dont think he hates democracy, but its pretty reasonable to think that the large majority of the people mentioned are corrupt. They all take money from special interest groups and then vote on bills relating to those groups. For anyone else, that would be bribery.

Right. Not all of them are as brazen and delusional as Balgo, but you're not going to make it very far by just sticking to ideals. Yes, that does include Obama.

EDIT: Also, I don't like democracy. It's the worst form of government. Except for all the others.

lesliesage

Postby lesliesage » Fri Jan 30, 2009 5:34 pm UTC

nectarine
Last edited by lesliesage on Sun Oct 10, 2010 10:09 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

EsotericWombat
Colorful Orator

Postby EsotericWombat » Fri Jan 30, 2009 8:23 pm UTC

lesliesage wrote:

<3

lesliesage

Postby lesliesage » Fri Jan 30, 2009 9:02 pm UTC

nectarine
Last edited by lesliesage on Sun Oct 10, 2010 10:10 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

EsotericWombat
Colorful Orator

Postby EsotericWombat » Fri Jan 30, 2009 9:38 pm UTC

I mean

Psssht. Whatever, bitch.

lesliesage

Postby lesliesage » Fri Jan 30, 2009 9:43 pm UTC

nectarine
Last edited by lesliesage on Sun Oct 10, 2010 10:10 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Aikanaro

Postby Aikanaro » Fri Jan 30, 2009 9:46 pm UTC

No, Emo requires that your hair be long enough to cover approximately 3/4 of your face. It must also be dyed black, and preferably be greasy looking. If your hair is naturally black....Iunno, I guess bleach it so you can dye it black again.
Dear xkcd,

On behalf of my religion, I'm sorry so many of us do dumb shit. Please forgive us.

Love, Aikanaro.

Return to “News & Articles”