Photography = terrorism

Seen something interesting in the news or on the intertubes? Discuss it here.

Moderators: Zamfir, Hawknc, Moderators General, Prelates

Jesse
Vocal Terrorist

Photography = terrorism

Postby Jesse » Wed Feb 04, 2009 12:16 pm UTC

http://www.bjp-online.com/public/showPa ... age=836675 (Thankyou to Malice for the link)

From February 16th it's going to be illegal in the UK to take photographs in a public place if a police officer suspects you could be aiding terrorism by doing it. This comes with a potential of ten years in prison and a fine. Taking photos of police officers will be illegal if said police officer doesn't want you to, since the judgement is in their hands. This is yet another reason that this country terrifies me.

Princess Marzipan

Re: Photography = terrorism

Postby Princess Marzipan » Wed Feb 04, 2009 12:26 pm UTC

Dude, just...holy shit.

Solution: thousands of people show up and photograph police precincts?
"It's Saturday night. I've got no date, a two-liter of Shasta, and my all-Rush mixtape. Let's rock!"
"I am just about to be brilliant!"
General_Norris, on feminism, wrote:If you lose your six Pokémon, you lost.

Maurog

Postby Maurog » Wed Feb 04, 2009 12:31 pm UTC

Will they keep asking "what are your crimes?" like Scientologists do when people approach them with a camera?
I guess it will actually make sense coming from a police officer...

Hopefully it will backlash and people will turn taking pictures of policemen with their cellphones into a habit.
Slay the living! Raise the dead! Paint the sky in crimson red!

Mzyxptlk

Postby Mzyxptlk » Wed Feb 04, 2009 12:35 pm UTC

Jesse wrote:illegal in the UK to take photographs in a public place if a police officer suspects you could be aiding terrorism by doing it thinks you look too much like an Arab.
"Once upon a time, an infinite number of people lived perfect, blissful, eternal lives."

Dream
WINNING

Postby Dream » Wed Feb 04, 2009 1:20 pm UTC

Jesse wrote:Taking photos of police officers will be illegal if said police officer doesn't want you to, since the judgement is in their hands. This is yet another reason that this country terrifies me.

Fuck. Like, two days ago, I made the decision to move back to the UK. What a wonderful welcoming gift.

If anyone is about to jump in here thinking "who cares about that dude who was shot dead on the tube, I'm sure the police will handle this appropriately," read this. It's about what happens if you actually go through all the bullshit necessary to bring a serious complaint against the police for misusing their powers. And the best barometer of on side's policies is if the other pack starts making perfect sense while bashing them, without exaggerating at all.

Grrrr.
I knew a woman once, but she died soon after.

22/7
I'm pretty sure I have "The Slavery In My Asshole" on DVD.

Postby 22/7 » Wed Feb 04, 2009 1:48 pm UTC

For a minute I thought this thread was going to be about the guy who got arrested by Amtrak cops for taking pictures of Amtrak trains for an Amtrak amateur photography contest. This, however, is decidedly worse. Note to self. Do not be a tourist in the UK.
Totally not a hypothetical...

Steroid wrote:
bigglesworth wrote:If your economic reality is a choice, then why are you not as rich as Bill Gates?
Don't want to be.
I want to be!

Dream
WINNING

Postby Dream » Wed Feb 04, 2009 2:07 pm UTC

Don't worry, tourists are safe. It's protesters and dissidents and minorities that will get it in the neck with this.

psyck0

Postby psyck0 » Wed Feb 04, 2009 2:07 pm UTC

Jesus... how is this stuff getting PASSED?!?!

Dream
WINNING

Postby Dream » Wed Feb 04, 2009 2:18 pm UTC

psyck0 wrote:Jesus... how is this stuff getting PASSED?!?!

You know what else gets passed? Stools get passed. Stools.

Kizyr

Postby Kizyr » Wed Feb 04, 2009 3:03 pm UTC

Mzyxptlk wrote:
Jesse wrote:illegal in the UK to take photographs in a public place if a police officer suspects you could be aiding terrorism by doing it thinks you look too much like an Arab or a Brazilian electrician.

Dream wrote:Don't worry, tourists are safe. It's protesters and dissidents and minorities that will get it in the neck with this.

Er, what if you're a tourist that's also a minority? KF
~Kizyr

Lumpy
I can has morbid obesity?

Postby Lumpy » Wed Feb 04, 2009 3:30 pm UTC

So if I went planespotting in the United Kingdom, stood outside, and took a picture of one of their planes like I did over here with a U.S. Air Force plane from about 1.5 miles away, I'd be arrested?

Huitzilopochtli

Postby Huitzilopochtli » Wed Feb 04, 2009 3:48 pm UTC

It may become an interesting psychological study. Especially if this law gets strongly enforced or abused, or if GB continues in this fine art of paranoid lawmaking.

What happens when you start to treat your citizens as criminals. What happens when a majority of citizens feel that there is a good chance they'll be harassed/fined/imprisoned on account of some absurd over-extensive ill-defined law.

Mr. Orwell never knew how right he was.
The first ten million years were the worst," said Marvin, "and the second ten million years, they were the worst too. The third ten million years I didn't enjoy at all. After that I went into a bit of a decline.
- Marvin, the Paranoid Android

Jahoclave
sourmilk's moderator

Postby Jahoclave » Wed Feb 04, 2009 4:04 pm UTC

Lumpy wrote:So if I went planespotting in the United Kingdom, stood outside, and took a picture of one of their planes like I did over here with a U.S. Air Force plane from about 1.5 miles away, I'd be arrested?

Isn't that flag supposed to be painted the other way?

It depends, are you white or one of tham dirty A-rabs? Because I have a feeling that'd be the determining factor.

pseudoidiot
Sexy Beard Man

Postby pseudoidiot » Wed Feb 04, 2009 4:16 pm UTC

Jahoclave wrote:
Lumpy wrote:So if I went planespotting in the United Kingdom, stood outside, and took a picture of one of their planes like I did over here with a U.S. Air Force plane from about 1.5 miles away, I'd be arrested?

Isn't that flag supposed to be painted the other way?

It depends, are you white or one of tham dirty A-rabs? Because I have a feeling that'd be the determining factor.
Apparently it's often (if not always) displayed that way. It's symbolic of actually running into battle with a flag and the flag would flap behind you as you ran. http://www.flagpride.com/news/soldier.php
Derailed : Gaming Outside the Box.
SecondTalon wrote:*swoons* I love you, all powerful pseudoidiot!
ShootTheChicken wrote:I can't stop thinking about pseudoidiot's penis.

22/7

Postby 22/7 » Wed Feb 04, 2009 4:17 pm UTC

Jahoclave wrote:Isn't that flag supposed to be painted the other way?
I think that flags on planes are supposed to be painted as if they were being flown (so the "left" side of the flag should be toward the front of the vehicle), but my memory is rusty here.

Steroid wrote:
bigglesworth wrote:If your economic reality is a choice, then why are you not as rich as Bill Gates?
Don't want to be.
I want to be!

Jahoclave
sourmilk's moderator

Postby Jahoclave » Wed Feb 04, 2009 4:20 pm UTC

Ah, makes sense. Thank you.

22/7

Postby 22/7 » Wed Feb 04, 2009 4:23 pm UTC

Shit, man! Don't take my word for it. That's a terrible idea.

Steroid wrote:
Don't want to be.
I want to be!

slow2learn

Postby slow2learn » Wed Feb 04, 2009 5:30 pm UTC

government camera = good
citizen camera = evil
WTF

Isnt it wierd that a place with such extensive government survelliance could outlaw its own citizens of doing the same?
Make your choice, adventurous Stranger;
Strike the bell and bide the danger,
Or wonder, till it drives you mad,
What would have followed if you had.

Darkscull

Postby Darkscull » Wed Feb 04, 2009 5:44 pm UTC

Maurog wrote:Will they keep asking "what are your crimes?" like Scientologists do when people approach them with a camera?

Hopefully it will backlash and people will turn taking pictures of policemen with their cellphones into a habit.

The first thing I thought when I read the OP was that this will make some of the scientology protests a lot more challenging. Some police forces have swallowed the bullshit about anonymous being cyberterrorists.

I'm most definitely going to start taking photos of police whenever I see them (when I remember) after this has come in.

edit:
the article wrote:According to Tallis, the officer then tried to take the camera away. Before giving up, the officer said that Tallis 'shouldn't have taken that photo, you were intimidating me'. The incident was caught on camera by photojournalist Marc Vallee.

awesome.
Physicists do it in an excited state.
m/bi/UK/Ⓐ/chaotic good
b. 1988 d. 20xx

Brooklynxman
Because I'm Awesome

Postby Brooklynxman » Wed Feb 04, 2009 5:54 pm UTC

Holy crap. *hugs american flag*

We got out in the nick of time 200 years before all this crap happened

phew. Now to get the rest of you out. I reccommend....hmmmm.....distributing 1984 to all GB citizens
We figure out what all this means, then do something large and violent

The thing about changing the world...once you do it the world's all different.

I'm Angel. I beat the bad guys.

Spoiler:

22/7

Postby 22/7 » Wed Feb 04, 2009 8:01 pm UTC

Darkscull wrote:edit:
the article wrote:According to Tallis, the officer then tried to take the camera away. Before giving up, the officer said that Tallis 'shouldn't have taken that photo, you were intimidating me'. The incident was caught on camera by photojournalist Marc Vallee.

awesome.
Wow. I wonder if the cop believed that the camera was stealing his soul...

Steroid wrote:
Don't want to be.
I want to be!

Jesse
Vocal Terrorist

Postby Jesse » Wed Feb 04, 2009 8:18 pm UTC

All I know is, I just ordered a cameraphone.

What frightens me more than anything, nobody was reporting this. This should have been plastered across the news, and it wasn't. Guys, I'm moving to Boston the moment I can afford it.

Paranoid__Android

Postby Paranoid__Android » Wed Feb 04, 2009 9:37 pm UTC

Jesse wrote:All I know is, I just ordered a cameraphone.

What frightens me more than anything, nobody was reporting this. This should have been plastered across the news, and it wasn't. Guys, I'm moving to Boston the moment I can afford it.

Why is Boston any better?
The police aren't going to stop persecuting you just because you moved house.
It's not even that nice of a place to be honest.
The Great Hippo wrote:Paranoid__Android,
... truly, you are a champion among champions. ...

22/7

Postby 22/7 » Wed Feb 04, 2009 9:50 pm UTC

Is there a Boston, UK?

Steroid wrote:
Don't want to be.
I want to be!

Paranoid__Android

Postby Paranoid__Android » Wed Feb 04, 2009 10:25 pm UTC

yeah, the original one.

Mabus_Zero

Postby Mabus_Zero » Wed Feb 04, 2009 10:29 pm UTC

Does this have something to do with the cop accidentally being busted on a cell phone accidentally executing an anonymous black man?

Specialization is for insects.

-Robert A. Heinlein

Jack Saladin
X is kiss

Postby Jack Saladin » Wed Feb 04, 2009 10:41 pm UTC

In the sense that's one of the things they're trying to stop with these laws, yes. But it wasn't the cause... The UK has been inching towards outright totalitarianism and authoritarianism for a long time. I guarantee that within ten years the UK will be as bad as the Soviet Union ever was, and it'll only get worse from there unless the people do something about it.

To the inhabitants of Britain on these forums: Don't let your government get away with this shit. Don't let your fellow citizens go uninformed about these law changes. If you wait until it's too late to take action, if you wait until things have really gotten Orwellian bad, that's exactly when you won't be able to accomplish shit. You have to stop things now, while you still can.

If Orwell was trying to say one thing with 1984, it's that society would be permanently fucked if it ever got to that point. Permanently fucked. It's absolutely essential that it never gets there in the first place. You're the only generation that will be able to stop it.

Lumpy
I can has morbid obesity?

Postby Lumpy » Wed Feb 04, 2009 10:52 pm UTC

This should have been plastered across the news, and it wasn't.

Every time there's a privacy story, I always see it on the Internet, or online newspapers, but never anywhere else.

Dream
WINNING

Postby Dream » Wed Feb 04, 2009 11:29 pm UTC

Lumpy wrote:
This should have been plastered across the news, and it wasn't.

Every time there's a privacy story, I always see it on the Internet, or online newspapers, but never anywhere else.

Privacy? This is much more important that privacy. Expanding police powers like this is almost always a bad idea. But defending the police from scrutiny? That is seriously fucked up. And yes, if you took photos of military aircraft in the UK, I'd imagine they'd at the very least go through your camera and threaten you a bit before letting you go.

My theory is that this is aimed at a growing and powerful protest movement in the UK that is gaining momentum week on week. It's Smash EDO, Plane Stupid, CND, these people being acquitted, the village of Sipson and many, many more. The police don't want to be surveilled while surveilling these groups, and certainly don't want evidence of abuses gaining them publicity and sympathy. There are already targeted police operations intended to intimidate these people, and I'd imagine the fuzz would like to do more of the same.

Maseiken
The Candylawyer

Postby Maseiken » Thu Feb 05, 2009 12:30 am UTC

Darkscull wrote:
Maurog wrote:Will they keep asking "what are your crimes?" like Scientologists do when people approach them with a camera?

The first thing I thought when I read the OP was that this will make some of the scientology protests a lot more challenging. Some police forces have swallowed the bullshit about anonymous being cyberterrorists.

To be fair, people only started thinking Anonoymous was dangerous when they found Anonymous talking about how badass and dangerous they are.
"GRRRRRRRRRROOOOOOOOWR!!!!"
(Translation: "Objection!")

Maseiken had the ball at the top of the key...

Marbas

Postby Marbas » Thu Feb 05, 2009 12:45 am UTC

But defending the police from scrutiny?

This is really bad because police are already WAY too good at that on their own. Blue code of silence and all that.
Jahoclave wrote:Do you have any idea how much more fun the holocaust is with "Git er Done" as the catch phrase?

Malice

Postby Malice » Thu Feb 05, 2009 12:54 am UTC

Jack Saladin wrote:In the sense that's one of the things they're trying to stop with these laws, yes. But it wasn't the cause... The UK has been inching towards outright totalitarianism and authoritarianism for a long time. I guarantee that within ten years the UK will be as bad as the Soviet Union ever was, and it'll only get worse from there unless the people do something about it.

To the inhabitants of Britain on these forums: Don't let your government get away with this shit. Don't let your fellow citizens go uninformed about these law changes. If you wait until it's too late to take action, if you wait until things have really gotten Orwellian bad, that's exactly when you won't be able to accomplish shit. You have to stop things now, while you still can.

If Orwell was trying to say one thing with 1984, it's that society would be permanently fucked if it ever got to that point. Permanently fucked. It's absolutely essential that it never gets there in the first place. You're the only generation that will be able to stop it.

Yes. In fact, I suggest you order your robes and masks now, before the rush starts.

Jesse
Vocal Terrorist

Postby Jesse » Thu Feb 05, 2009 1:02 am UTC

I was talking about Boston, MA.

Jack: I've been informing everyone I know of this, I've also written to two local MP's and every newspaper and news program I can get the address for. It's getting the news out that's difficult.

Joeldi

Postby Joeldi » Thu Feb 05, 2009 1:11 am UTC

It seems that just now with the US embracing the left, the UK is sinking in to Ingsoc. And This filter thing in Australia is even more scary to me.
I was thinking of eventually moving to Britain but this thread among other things is tearing up that idea.
I already have a hate thread. Necromancy > redundancy here, so post there.

roc314 wrote:America is a police state that communicates in txt speak...

"i hav teh dissentors brb""¡This cheese is burning me! u pwnd them bff""thx ur cool 2"

Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby Bakemaster » Thu Feb 05, 2009 1:25 am UTC

Dream wrote:
psyck0 wrote:Jesus... how is this stuff getting PASSED?!?!

You know what else gets passed? Stools get passed. Stools.

I'm imagining you as Gabe from PA, here.
c0 = 2.13085531 × 1014 smoots per fortnight
"Apparently you can't summon an alternate timeline clone of your inner demon, guys! Remember that." —Noc

The Reaper

Postby The Reaper » Thu Feb 05, 2009 1:29 am UTC

Don't worry, UK, we'll free the shit outta you. <3
freetheshitouttayou.gif
freetheshitouttayou.gif (34.85 KiB) Viewed 3480 times

Paranoid__Android

Postby Paranoid__Android » Thu Feb 05, 2009 1:43 am UTC

I've never been oppressed by the police, and probably never will be.

unless I put this shiny new camera to work...

4=5

Postby 4=5 » Thu Feb 05, 2009 1:44 am UTC

holy fuck, One of the few things that let me know about the police abusing a little bit of their power here was the guy with a video camera watching the whole thing

scwizard

Postby scwizard » Thu Feb 05, 2009 2:00 am UTC

For a long time police have harassed photographers of all sorts. Especially ones taking photographs for police misconduct. This legitimizes it, expect to see photographer harassment of deviants of all sorts become more common. This also means they're allowed to take your cellphone away from you if you try and make a call with it, because a cellphone is a camera. Expect to see hard core oppression of freedom of speech follow shortly behind.

I predict a year until a UK journalist is arrested without charges.
~= scwizard =~

Jack Saladin
X is kiss

Postby Jack Saladin » Thu Feb 05, 2009 2:09 am UTC

Joeldi wrote:It seems that just now with the US embracing the left,

Uhh... What? The centre-right, maybe. The right of the centre-right (admittedly an improvement over the extreme right evangelical bullshit they've been wallowing in). Obama doesn't even come close to "left" and he sure as shit wouldn't be able to get any left policies through even he was. The American people are certainly not "embracing the left" to any extent whatsoever.

[/off-topic]

Return to “News & Articles”