Father at 13

Seen something interesting in the news or on the intertubes? Discuss it here.

Moderators: Zamfir, Hawknc, Moderators General, Prelates

pikacheeks
Posts: 16
Joined: Wed Feb 11, 2009 3:53 pm UTC

Father at 13

Postby pikacheeks » Fri Feb 13, 2009 5:12 pm UTC

I've just seen this article in a paper kick about at work.
http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/article2233878.ece

The kid is thirteen. Thirteen!


Thoughts?

User avatar
william
Not a Raptor. Honest.
Posts: 2418
Joined: Sat Oct 14, 2006 5:02 pm UTC
Location: Chapel Hill, NC
Contact:

Re: Father at 13

Postby william » Fri Feb 13, 2009 5:17 pm UTC

Honestly I have no clue how a 13-year-old and a 15-year-old are going to care for a child.
SecondTalon wrote:A pile of shit can call itself a delicious pie, but that doesn't make it true.

User avatar
4=5
Posts: 2073
Joined: Sat Apr 28, 2007 3:02 am UTC

Re: Father at 13

Postby 4=5 » Fri Feb 13, 2009 5:33 pm UTC

They're trying to sensationalize it but I don't see what is unthinkable about this situation.

User avatar
Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick
Posts: 8915
Joined: Fri Jul 06, 2007 2:33 pm UTC
Location: One of those hot places

Re: Father at 13

Postby Bakemaster » Fri Feb 13, 2009 5:34 pm UTC

Am I crazy or is there something off about the picture of him "bottle-feeding" his kid?
Image
c0 = 2.13085531 × 1014 smoots per fortnight
"Apparently you can't summon an alternate timeline clone of your inner demon, guys! Remember that." —Noc

User avatar
apoklips
Posts: 113
Joined: Thu Oct 02, 2008 2:53 pm UTC
Location: The woods
Contact:

Re: Father at 13

Postby apoklips » Fri Feb 13, 2009 5:39 pm UTC

This just in: teenagers have sex!
Sometimes, horny kids have to face the consquences of their actions. 13 is obviously too young to have a child, but I don't see how this qualifies as actual news.
"Wow, sarcasm! That's original..." - Dr. Horrible

User avatar
Maurog
Posts: 842
Joined: Tue Jul 10, 2007 7:58 am UTC

Re: Father at 13

Postby Maurog » Fri Feb 13, 2009 6:01 pm UTC

If a 12 year old can kill a guy in a war, a 13 year old can have a kid. Stuff happens.
Slay the living! Raise the dead! Paint the sky in crimson red!

User avatar
Garm
Posts: 2241
Joined: Wed Sep 26, 2007 5:29 pm UTC
Location: Usually at work. Otherwise, Longmont, CO.

Re: Father at 13

Postby Garm » Fri Feb 13, 2009 6:15 pm UTC

Quick! Someone tell them if they'd only abstained from sexual activity none of this would have happened. Then lecture them sternly.
Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
- JFK

User avatar
Moo
Oh man! I'm going to be so rebellious! I'm gonna...
Posts: 6398
Joined: Thu Aug 16, 2007 3:15 pm UTC
Location: Beyond the goblin city
Contact:

Re: Father at 13

Postby Moo » Fri Feb 13, 2009 6:24 pm UTC

Garm wrote:Quick! Someone tell them if they'd only abstained from sexual activity none of this would have happened. Then lecture them sternly.
They're not American so remarks centered around American sex ed policies seem superfluous. British policies aren't as abstinence-centric as far as I'm aware.

Bakemaster wrote:Am I crazy or is there something off about the picture of him "bottle-feeding" his kid?
I don't follow.


I had heard this story on the news all day, and heard them say he looks much younger than he is, but goodness gratious I wasn't prepared for how impossibly young he looks.
Proverbs 9:7-8 wrote:Anyone who rebukes a mocker will get an insult in return. Anyone who corrects the wicked will get hurt. So don't bother correcting mockers; they will only hate you.
Hawknc wrote:FFT: I didn't realise Proverbs 9:7-8 was the first recorded instance of "haters gonna hate"

User avatar
Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick
Posts: 8915
Joined: Fri Jul 06, 2007 2:33 pm UTC
Location: One of those hot places

Re: Father at 13

Postby Bakemaster » Fri Feb 13, 2009 7:03 pm UTC

I mean it looks like the baby is asleep and the nipple of the bottle isn't even in its mouth. Maybe that's just because it's a posed photo?
Image
c0 = 2.13085531 × 1014 smoots per fortnight
"Apparently you can't summon an alternate timeline clone of your inner demon, guys! Remember that." —Noc

User avatar
Garm
Posts: 2241
Joined: Wed Sep 26, 2007 5:29 pm UTC
Location: Usually at work. Otherwise, Longmont, CO.

Re: Father at 13

Postby Garm » Fri Feb 13, 2009 7:07 pm UTC

Moo wrote:
Garm wrote:Quick! Someone tell them if they'd only abstained from sexual activity none of this would have happened. Then lecture them sternly.
They're not American so remarks centered around American sex ed policies seem superfluous. British policies aren't as abstinence-centric as far as I'm aware.


Good point Moo. Maybe I should read the article more carefully.
Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
- JFK

User avatar
armandtanzarian
Posts: 170
Joined: Sat Oct 18, 2008 6:17 am UTC
Location: Des Moines, IA
Contact:

Re: Father at 13

Postby armandtanzarian » Fri Feb 13, 2009 8:04 pm UTC

I'm just surprised no one made a chav joke yet.

User avatar
Moo
Oh man! I'm going to be so rebellious! I'm gonna...
Posts: 6398
Joined: Thu Aug 16, 2007 3:15 pm UTC
Location: Beyond the goblin city
Contact:

Re: Father at 13

Postby Moo » Fri Feb 13, 2009 8:14 pm UTC

Bakemaster wrote:I mean it looks like the baby is asleep and the nipple of the bottle isn't even in its mouth. Maybe that's just because it's a posed photo?
Ah. Yes, it does look very staged, although I suppose that is kind of par for the course.
Proverbs 9:7-8 wrote:Anyone who rebukes a mocker will get an insult in return. Anyone who corrects the wicked will get hurt. So don't bother correcting mockers; they will only hate you.
Hawknc wrote:FFT: I didn't realise Proverbs 9:7-8 was the first recorded instance of "haters gonna hate"

User avatar
wst
Posts: 2613
Joined: Sat Nov 24, 2007 10:06 am UTC

Re: Father at 13

Postby wst » Fri Feb 13, 2009 8:15 pm UTC

I hadn't even wanked when I was that age.

Okay, he's proved he's fertile, can we nylon-string his Vas deferens shut pronto, didn't the article say his Dad has 9 kids... not again, please!
Anything I said pre-2014 that you want to quote me on, just run it past me to check I still agree with myself.

The Reaper
Posts: 4008
Joined: Fri Oct 12, 2007 5:37 am UTC
Location: San Antonio, Tx
Contact:

Re: Father at 13

Postby The Reaper » Fri Feb 13, 2009 8:57 pm UTC

armandtanzarian wrote:I'm just surprised no one made a chav joke yet.

Sorry I'm late. Silly chavs, outbreeding the proper bluebloods.

I'm not british, so my repertoire of chav jokes is small :\

User avatar
Dobblesworth
Dobblesworth, here's the title you requested over three years ago. -Banana
Posts: 1429
Joined: Wed May 30, 2007 12:06 pm UTC
Contact:

Re: Father at 13

Postby Dobblesworth » Fri Feb 13, 2009 9:11 pm UTC

Mother 'Chantelle'
Daughter 'Masie Roxanne'

Yep, charva in a nutshell for ya.

User avatar
PhatPhungus
Posts: 321
Joined: Wed Aug 22, 2007 5:40 pm UTC
Contact:

Re: Father at 13

Postby PhatPhungus » Fri Feb 13, 2009 11:02 pm UTC

I think it made the news because he looks eight. I'm fairly certain I looked older than that when I was eight.
__________
_____
__
_

User avatar
Ramirez
Posts: 40
Joined: Mon Jan 12, 2009 1:34 pm UTC
Location: The Pub, UK

Re: Father at 13

Postby Ramirez » Fri Feb 13, 2009 11:03 pm UTC

armandtanzarian wrote:I'm just surprised no one made a chav joke yet.


Benefits to the rescue!
Come on, dance for me!

Paranoid__Android
Posts: 508
Joined: Tue Oct 07, 2008 6:54 pm UTC
Location: UK

Re: Father at 13

Postby Paranoid__Android » Sat Feb 14, 2009 12:11 am UTC

Seriously, what was his gf thinking?
He looks loads younger than her... cradle snatching is not a good course of action.


anyway that is messed up, he cannot possibly be a good parent.
The Great Hippo wrote:My dearest, most cherished friend, Paranoid__Android:
... truly, you are a champion among champions. ...
Sincerely and with great fondness,
~The Great Hippo

User avatar
zekone
Posts: 33
Joined: Sat Jan 03, 2009 11:47 pm UTC
Location: London, UK
Contact:

Re: Father at 13

Postby zekone » Sat Feb 14, 2009 1:41 am UTC

I feel amazingly sorry for both him and the mother. They are trying to grasp ideas and concepts that they've never really been faced with, although I think in the situation, everyone is taking a very mature attitude to it: the father, the mother, and the grandparents. I was a bit shocked when I first heard the news in passing, but now... well, yeah, I think they're making good of a difficult situation. I just hope the media keep their distance and let them get on with trying the best they can for their daughter.

Interesting point is that in the past, teenage births would be entirely normal, and it makes me feel very prudish - as a race - that we now consider them to be horrible evil hell-spawns. Actually, I think that attitude saddens me more than the fact that children are having children.

But what do I know... I have two cousins who had kids when they were 15. *shrugs*

User avatar
LuNatic
Posts: 973
Joined: Thu Nov 20, 2008 4:21 am UTC
Location: The land of Aus

Re: Father at 13

Postby LuNatic » Sat Feb 14, 2009 4:21 am UTC

Father at 13! Details at 11?
Cynical Idealist wrote:
Velict wrote:Good Jehova, there are cheesegraters on the blagotube!

This is, for some reason, one of the funniest things I've read today.

User avatar
Snoof
Posts: 59
Joined: Sat Nov 24, 2007 11:22 am UTC
Location: Sydney, Australia

Re: Father at 13

Postby Snoof » Sat Feb 14, 2009 3:22 pm UTC

How delightfully medieval. :roll:
If I had a signature, you wouldn't be reading this.

Matsi
Posts: 76
Joined: Sun Jul 06, 2008 12:22 am UTC

Re: Father at 13

Postby Matsi » Sat Feb 14, 2009 4:25 pm UTC

zekone wrote:Interesting point is that in the past, teenage births would be entirely normal, and it makes me feel very prudish - as a race - that we now consider them to be horrible evil hell-spawns. Actually, I think that attitude saddens me more than the fact that children are having children.


Why does it sadden you? There's a lot of things that were considered entirely normal in the past, that I am glad we frown upon today.

A normal live for most people meant there was a good chance they'd die before they were 5, and if they survived past that age they were put to work. Nowadays we have health care and hygiene that ensures most people live a long live, and there are laws that make sure children get an education. Because of this it's very stupid to have a child at 13 (or 15, or even 18 imo), you will probably miss out on a lot that is considered normal nowadays

User avatar
zekone
Posts: 33
Joined: Sat Jan 03, 2009 11:47 pm UTC
Location: London, UK
Contact:

Re: Father at 13

Postby zekone » Sat Feb 14, 2009 4:47 pm UTC

Matsi wrote:
zekone wrote:Interesting point is that in the past, teenage births would be entirely normal, and it makes me feel very prudish - as a race - that we now consider them to be horrible evil hell-spawns. Actually, I think that attitude saddens me more than the fact that children are having children.


Why does it sadden you? There's a lot of things that were considered entirely normal in the past, that I am glad we frown upon today.

A normal live for most people meant there was a good chance they'd die before they were 5, and if they survived past that age they were put to work. Nowadays we have health care and hygiene that ensures most people live a long live, and there are laws that make sure children get an education. Because of this it's very stupid to have a child at 13 (or 15, or even 18 imo), you will probably miss out on a lot that is considered normal nowadays


I can completely see your point, and I realise how much having a child at such an early age can mess up someone's life; my mom almost went through it. I think it is more the media frenzy about it which saddens me, although having said that, a lot about the media gets to me. I suppose my issue is that people DO frown upon it, rather than supporting them. I'm quite glad that the Sun article seems relatively supportive, rather than spewing "BURN THE WITCHES!" and "BRITAIN'S GOING TO HELL!" and such.

It was a conscious decision of theirs not to have an abortion, and although I would hate to have to make such a decision ever - let alone when I was 12/13 - I think they accepted the fact that they were going to be parents, rather than abandon the child. I am eager to see how the story develops, especially with regards to how the media reacts to them. Teenage pregnancies in the past have been a mixed affair, it would seem, with positive and negative outcomes. I think that support, rather than vilification, is a key element in helping them to have successful outcomes.

Princess Marzipan
Posts: 7717
Joined: Sun May 27, 2007 5:28 am UTC
Location: neither a road, nor an island

Re: Father at 13

Postby Princess Marzipan » Sat Feb 14, 2009 9:46 pm UTC

The anger and upset is because when teenagers have children, it almost inevitably adds to society's burden. Odds are the child will need health care the parents can't provide, food and shelter that the parents can't provide, and quite honestly devotion and parenting that the parents can't provide.

The solution is obviously not to demonize the pair; I feel more pity than vitriol myself.

Here's the big thing: this really isn't fair to the baby. A child is something that a couple should have only after deciding they want one. The decision should never have to be made when "oh shit there's already one coming, what do we doooo!?!?" The fact that these kids do not have the means to raise the child on their own, too, means that the kids are making decisions for other people - their parents, relatives, and society, since everyone's going to have to chip in. And if they don't, their kid's gonna have a pretty shitty life.
"It's Saturday night. I've got no date, a two-liter of Shasta, and my all-Rush mixtape. Let's rock!"
"I am just about to be brilliant!"
General_Norris, on feminism, wrote:If you lose your six Pokémon, you lost.

User avatar
JayDee
Posts: 3620
Joined: Sat Nov 10, 2007 3:13 am UTC
Location: Most livable city in the world.
Contact:

Re: Father at 13

Postby JayDee » Sun Feb 15, 2009 12:53 am UTC

Bakemaster wrote:I mean it looks like the baby is asleep and the nipple of the bottle isn't even in its mouth. Maybe that's just because it's a posed photo?
I thought it was just because it was a baby. Don't they always look like that, when they aren't screaming / crying?
The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:I believe that everything can and must be joked about.
Hawknc wrote:I like to think that he hasn't left, he's just finally completed his foe list.

pikacheeks
Posts: 16
Joined: Wed Feb 11, 2009 3:53 pm UTC

Re: Father at 13

Postby pikacheeks » Sun Feb 15, 2009 1:43 pm UTC

Oh dear.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/article2239272.ece

That poor kid.

Or rather, those poor kids.

User avatar
Darkscull
Posts: 798
Joined: Wed Jan 23, 2008 10:46 am UTC
Location: Now where I want to be

Re: Father at 13

Postby Darkscull » Sun Feb 15, 2009 2:39 pm UTC

Nougatrocity wrote:The anger and upset is because when teenagers have children, it almost inevitably adds to society's burden. Odds are the child will need health care the parents can't provide, food and shelter that the parents can't provide, and quite honestly devotion and parenting that the parents can't provide.


Well the health care bit doesn't matter, because no parent has to provide healthcare, the government provides for everyone (unless you mean general looking after, but there's no reason the kids can't do that if they're taught how).

The grandparents can help with the rest, for the most part. The kids aren't on their own doing this (at least, I assume not since people have mentioned grandparents. I haven't read the article fully)

Of course, teenagers having children does add to society's burden, but that's mostly because it means said teenagers are not going to get the education they should, and will probably end up on benefits due to not being able to get a good job.
Physicists do it in an excited state.
m/bi/UK/Ⓐ/chaotic good
b. 1988 d. 20xx

User avatar
GhostWolfe
Broken wings and scattered feathers
Posts: 3892
Joined: Fri May 11, 2007 11:56 am UTC
Location: Brisbane, Aust
Contact:

Re: Father at 13

Postby GhostWolfe » Mon Feb 16, 2009 5:30 am UTC

And here we find out were it all went wrong:

The boy's dad wrote:"I kept asking if he was sure because I thought a boy of his age wasn't capable of conceiving," he was quoted as saying.
linky
Linguistic Anarchist
Hawknc: ANGELL IS SERIOUS BUSINESS :-[
lesliesage: Animals dunked in crude oil: sad. Animals dunked in boiling oil: tasty.
Belial: I was in your mom's room all night committing to a series of extended military actions.

User avatar
bigglesworth
I feel like Biggles should have a title
Posts: 7461
Joined: Sat Apr 07, 2007 9:29 pm UTC
Location: Airstrip One

Re: Father at 13

Postby bigglesworth » Mon Feb 16, 2009 5:33 am UTC

Few boys of any age are capable of conceiving...
Generation Y. I don't remember the First Gulf War, but do remember floppy disks.

VDOgamez
Posts: 122
Joined: Tue May 06, 2008 1:49 am UTC

Re: Father at 13

Postby VDOgamez » Thu Feb 19, 2009 2:50 pm UTC

If you thought that was messed up... http://www.oddee.com/item_90966.aspx

That is beyond WTF...

User avatar
Gelsamel
Lame and emo
Posts: 8237
Joined: Thu Oct 05, 2006 10:49 am UTC
Location: Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

Re: Father at 13

Postby Gelsamel » Thu Feb 19, 2009 3:12 pm UTC

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/world/754189 ... ily-friend

So there is a possiblity that this is a publicity stunt for money...?

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/world/753177 ... y-teen-mum

Which people are abusing to coax the boy into breaking or making his day on Live TV?

So it's possibly a publicity stunt of a publicity stunt?

What the fuck? If it turns out this is all a con and the boy isn't the father and he reveals it on Live TV.... he is going to be fucked up.
"Give up here?"
- > No
"Do you accept defeat?"
- > No
"Do you think games are silly little things?"
- > No
"Is it all pointless?"
- > No
"Do you admit there is no meaning to this world?"
- > No

User avatar
Indon
Posts: 4433
Joined: Thu Oct 18, 2007 5:21 pm UTC
Location: Alabama :(
Contact:

Re: Father at 13

Postby Indon » Thu Feb 19, 2009 4:11 pm UTC

Is it more sad that this kid had a kid when he was clearly unprepared to have a kid...

...or that, as an American, I find nothing at all exceptional about this scenario?
So, I like talking. So if you want to talk about something with me, feel free to send me a PM.

My blog, now rarely updated.

Image

User avatar
segmentation fault
Posts: 1770
Joined: Wed Dec 05, 2007 4:10 pm UTC
Location: Nu Jersey
Contact:

Re: Father at 13

Postby segmentation fault » Thu Feb 19, 2009 4:11 pm UTC

GhostWolfe wrote:And here we find out were it all went wrong:

The boy's dad wrote:"I kept asking if he was sure because I thought a boy of his age wasn't capable of conceiving," he was quoted as saying.
linky


wow. looks like neither of them had any sex ed classes...

abstinence only, this is your legacy!
people are like LDL cholesterol for the internet

User avatar
Moo
Oh man! I'm going to be so rebellious! I'm gonna...
Posts: 6398
Joined: Thu Aug 16, 2007 3:15 pm UTC
Location: Beyond the goblin city
Contact:

Re: Father at 13

Postby Moo » Thu Feb 19, 2009 4:25 pm UTC

segmentation fault wrote:wow. looks like neither of them had any sex ed classes...

abstinence only, this is your legacy!
*sigh*
Not everywhere in the world is like where you live.
Moo, at the start of this thread, wrote:They're not American so remarks centered around American sex ed policies seem superfluous. British policies aren't as abstinence-centric as far as I'm aware.
Proverbs 9:7-8 wrote:Anyone who rebukes a mocker will get an insult in return. Anyone who corrects the wicked will get hurt. So don't bother correcting mockers; they will only hate you.
Hawknc wrote:FFT: I didn't realise Proverbs 9:7-8 was the first recorded instance of "haters gonna hate"

AtlasDrugged
Posts: 121
Joined: Wed Aug 06, 2008 3:11 pm UTC

Re: Father at 13

Postby AtlasDrugged » Thu Feb 19, 2009 4:33 pm UTC

wow. looks like neither of them had any sex ed classes...

abstinence only, this is your legacy!


Given that sex ed in England is almost the exact opposite of abstinence-only, your latest liberal talking point appears incredibly misguided.

I'd say lock the bastards up, but that would probably cost the state even more money than the life of parasitism their recklessness will inevitably consign them to. I feel more sorry for the baby than anything else.

User avatar
bigglesworth
I feel like Biggles should have a title
Posts: 7461
Joined: Sat Apr 07, 2007 9:29 pm UTC
Location: Airstrip One

Re: Father at 13

Postby bigglesworth » Thu Feb 19, 2009 4:34 pm UTC

Moo: Yeah, we're the Socialist Police State whereas America is the Theocratic Free Speech Corporation State. :D
Generation Y. I don't remember the First Gulf War, but do remember floppy disks.

User avatar
segmentation fault
Posts: 1770
Joined: Wed Dec 05, 2007 4:10 pm UTC
Location: Nu Jersey
Contact:

Re: Father at 13

Postby segmentation fault » Thu Feb 19, 2009 4:36 pm UTC

AtlasDrugged wrote:Given that sex ed in England is almost the exact opposite of abstinence-only, your latest liberal talking point appears incredibly misguided.


obviously it isnt, otherwise they would have known you can have a child at 13.
people are like LDL cholesterol for the internet

User avatar
Moo
Oh man! I'm going to be so rebellious! I'm gonna...
Posts: 6398
Joined: Thu Aug 16, 2007 3:15 pm UTC
Location: Beyond the goblin city
Contact:

Re: Father at 13

Postby Moo » Thu Feb 19, 2009 4:39 pm UTC

So, instances of teen pregnancy necessarily equals an official, institutionalized policy of abstinence only education? What a ridiculously stupid statement.
Proverbs 9:7-8 wrote:Anyone who rebukes a mocker will get an insult in return. Anyone who corrects the wicked will get hurt. So don't bother correcting mockers; they will only hate you.
Hawknc wrote:FFT: I didn't realise Proverbs 9:7-8 was the first recorded instance of "haters gonna hate"

User avatar
Izawwlgood
WINNING
Posts: 18686
Joined: Mon Nov 19, 2007 3:55 pm UTC
Location: There may be lovelier lovelies...

Re: Father at 13

Postby Izawwlgood » Thu Feb 19, 2009 4:43 pm UTC

Ability to reproduce does not a father make!

How sad and fucked up.
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

AtlasDrugged
Posts: 121
Joined: Wed Aug 06, 2008 3:11 pm UTC

Re: Father at 13

Postby AtlasDrugged » Thu Feb 19, 2009 4:43 pm UTC

obviously it isnt, otherwise they would have known you can have a child at 13.


Sex ed (here at least) focuses on the mechanics and some advice about relationships (which can basically be summarised as 'go get knocked up, you won't have to take responsibility for the consequences'). How is knowing at what age you can become pregnant in any way related to whether sex ed focuses on abstinence or non-abstinence?


Return to “News & Articles”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Dauric and 17 guests