Obama: Afghanistan war

Seen something interesting in the news or on the intertubes? Discuss it here.

Moderators: Zamfir, Hawknc, Moderators General, Prelates

slow2learn

Obama: Afghanistan war

Postby slow2learn » Mon Mar 09, 2009 7:37 pm UTC

The recient decisions of the white house concerning the troop withdrawl from Iraq, and this article detailing some of the Presidents viewpoints on what to do in Afghanistan, Show clearly that this president means change from the previous administration.

Here's the article

I was quite shocked when i read this.
Asked if the United States is winning the war in Afghanistan, Obama said "no."

Do we consider it wise to give the taliban a chance at being civil, or have they crossed the line of de-talk-ation?

Please leave Bush hatred in some other forum. Obama's president now! YAY! Lets talk about what he should do, instead of blaming problems on Bush. (One being constructive and helpful, the other... helping only those that get relief from spewing hatred towards the man.)
Make your choice, adventurous Stranger;
Strike the bell and bide the danger,
Or wonder, till it drives you mad,
What would have followed if you had.

Indon

Re: Obama: Afghanistan war

Postby Indon » Mon Mar 09, 2009 7:59 pm UTC

I think that approaching some factions within the Taliban could lead to a schism in the group, if applied correctly, which would help greatly.
So, I like talking. So if you want to talk about something with me, feel free to send me a PM.

My blog, now rarely updated.

Xeio
Friends, Faidites, Countrymen

Postby Xeio » Mon Mar 09, 2009 8:45 pm UTC

slow2learn wrote:I was quite shocked when i read this.
Why do you necessarily considering this shocking? His honesty?

slow2learn

Postby slow2learn » Mon Mar 09, 2009 8:53 pm UTC

Xeio wrote:
slow2learn wrote:I was quite shocked when i read this.
Why do you necessarily considering this shocking? His honesty?

Yup. As i've thought about it more it makes sense. Obviously things aren't going as wanted, otherwise we wouldn't be sending so many more troops there. Bush wouldn't of been able to as say this as freely, because it is highly considered his war. The current war's status is not Obama's fault, so he can freely talk about how its not going the best, with out it effecting his political career.

Interesting to note is how the article suggests that mentioning not winning gives the taliban undue confidence. Meh, i prefer Obama be honest with us, even if it semi bolsters our enemy.

@Indon
I dont think the US is gonna split the taliban against the taliban anytime soon. The arabic world isn't fond of traitoring itself to America.
Make your choice, adventurous Stranger;
Strike the bell and bide the danger,
Or wonder, till it drives you mad,
What would have followed if you had.

Sockmonkey

Postby Sockmonkey » Mon Mar 09, 2009 11:27 pm UTC

slow2learn wrote:Interesting to note is how the article suggests that mentioning not winning gives the taliban undue confidence. Meh, i prefer Obama be honest with us, even if it semi bolsters our enemy.

Even if he had said the war is going well the taliban would have considred that empty US propoganda so it wouldn't have mattered anyhow. Fanatics don't let little things like that change their minds.

Sharlos

Postby Sharlos » Tue Mar 10, 2009 12:08 pm UTC

I don't think you can turn afganistan into an arabs vs america scenario. America succesfully made overtures to enemy elements in iraq, some simply think a similar approach may work here.

Dream
WINNING

Postby Dream » Tue Mar 10, 2009 1:05 pm UTC

slow2learn wrote:The arabic world isn't fond of traitoring itself to America.

They aren't Arabs.

And the arabic world is very, very fond of "traitoring" itself to America. Witness the Iraqi government, Saudi Arabia, Kuwait, Jordan, Egypt and many others taking US coin and following US policy in return for a US blind eye to various internal atrocities.
I knew a woman once, but she died soon after.

Mzyxptlk

Postby Mzyxptlk » Tue Mar 10, 2009 5:14 pm UTC

Dream wrote:

They aren't Arabs.

And the arabic world is very, very fond of "traitoring" itself to America. Witness the Iraqi government, Saudi Arabia, Kuwait, Jordan, Egypt and many others taking US coin and following US policy in return for a US blind eye to various internal atrocities.

Generalising a few ultra-rich individuals (and guess why they are) to the entire Arabic world doesn't quite work.
"Once upon a time, an infinite number of people lived perfect, blissful, eternal lives."

Darkscull

Postby Darkscull » Tue Mar 10, 2009 5:24 pm UTC

slow2learn wrote:Obviously things aren't going as wanted, otherwise we wouldn't be sending so many more troops there.

Would have been easier just to have a look how things are going there and comparing it with what is wanted.

The actions of the government aren't necessarily the best reactions, so you can't really extrapolate the situation from what they're doing about it :P

I think attempting to talk to the taliban rather than break or annihilate them is a great idea. There's no way they'd get back into power any time soon, and they must know that.
They're still fighting the same war that ousted them from power, and if that carries on then breaking or annihilating them is the only option.
Talks give everyone a chance to adjust to the new way of things, and although there's obviously not much chance they'll solve everything, some people may be persuaded and that will be a big blow to the taliban.

Mzyxptlk wrote:
Dream wrote:

They aren't Arabs.

Generalising a few ultra-rich individuals (and guess why they are) to the entire Arabic world doesn't quite work.

It doesn't need to describe the entire Arabic world to make slow2learn's comment invalid.
Physicists do it in an excited state.
m/bi/UK/Ⓐ/chaotic good
b. 1988 d. 20xx

Heisenberg

Postby Heisenberg » Tue Mar 10, 2009 6:17 pm UTC

Thomas Ricks disagrees with you. He outlines the way Gen. Petraeus succeeded at putting part of the insurgency in Iraq on the payroll in his recent Daily Show interview. Good interview.

Indon

Postby Indon » Tue Mar 10, 2009 7:52 pm UTC

slow2learn wrote:@Indon
I dont think the US is gonna split the taliban against the taliban anytime soon. The arabic world isn't fond of traitoring itself to America.

The key would be to change the perception of the conflict in Afghanistan from 'Afghani vs. America (with some Afghans)' to 'Bad Afghanis vs. Good Afghanis (with some American help)'.
So, I like talking. So if you want to talk about something with me, feel free to send me a PM.

My blog, now rarely updated.

Return to “News & Articles”