Stem cells from testes

Seen something interesting in the news or on the intertubes? Discuss it here.

Moderators: Zamfir, Hawknc, Moderators General, Prelates

JBJ

Stem cells from testes

Postby JBJ » Mon Mar 23, 2009 7:10 pm UTC

Article here

physorg.com wrote:Using what they say is a relatively simple method, scientists at Georgetown University Medical Center have extracted stem/progenitor cells from testes and have converted them back into pluripotent embryonic-like stem cells. Researchers say that the naďve cells are now potentially capable of morphing into any cell type that a body needs, from brain neurons to pancreatic tissue.

Balls... Is there no limit to their usefulness?
So, you sacked the cocky khaki Kicky Sack sock plucker?
The second cocky khaki Kicky Sack sock plucker I've sacked since the sixth sitting sheet slitter got sick.

Chicory

Re: Stem cells from testes

Postby Chicory » Mon Mar 23, 2009 7:22 pm UTC

What do they consider a "relatively simple process"? A rubber band and a pair of shears is relatively simple, but I'll be damned if you'll hear me praising the advancement.
No matter what you have to say, Will said it more elegantly, more succinctly, and more lyrically - and he probably did it in iambic pentameter - four hundred years ago.

Jahoclave
sourmilk's moderator

Postby Jahoclave » Mon Mar 23, 2009 7:26 pm UTC

Chicory wrote:What do they consider a "relatively simple process"? A rubber band and a pair of shears is relatively simple, but I'll be damned if you'll hear me praising the advancement.

Now, if this process involves kitten killing it's a major advancement to science.

Will
There are about a million things I can do from behind

Postby Will » Mon Mar 23, 2009 7:27 pm UTC

Look, what I really want to know is this: when will I be able to say that my jizz cures cancer?
Meaux_Pas: Is it fucking Taint Sunday or something?
liza: Screw y'all, I'm going to the moon

Darkscull

Postby Darkscull » Mon Mar 23, 2009 7:46 pm UTC

You know, if we can persuade them it's a choice between this or stem cells from embryos, the ultraconservatives will probably suddenly start raving about how awesome embryonic stem cells are :P

Actually, I'm sure every month I hear about a new way to get stem cells, even ones that can be used like embryonic ones, but they always disappear after a while and nothing visible is done about them.
Are they all being researched quietly somewhere, or do people just discover these things and move on?

If I was slightly more prone to conspiracy-theorist-type thinking, I'd suggest that many people involved have ulterior motives to keep stem cell issues as a subset of the abortion debate.
It does seem like every time stem cells come up the whole abortion thing rears it's head, even when the cells are from skin or something.
Physicists do it in an excited state.
m/bi/UK/Ⓐ/chaotic good
b. 1988 d. 20xx

Heisenberg

Postby Heisenberg » Mon Mar 23, 2009 8:09 pm UTC

Darkscull wrote:You know, if we can persuade them it's a choice between this or stem cells from embryos, the ultraconservatives will probably suddenly start raving about how awesome embryonic stem cells are :P
Actually the pro-life people I know all support adult stem cell research. I don't think "Balls are gross" is going to be legitimate reason for them to suddenly change their position on killing embryos. The obvious advantage is that you could grow your own stem cells into tissue with your own DNA. From my basic understanding of transplants, I imagine this would be superior to a combination of two strangers' DNA. The only red flag I could see coming from the Evangelicals would be that this is a slippery slope to human cloning, and I think that's a rather weak argument.

Darkscull

Postby Darkscull » Mon Mar 23, 2009 8:13 pm UTC

Heisenberg wrote:
Darkscull wrote:You know, if we can persuade them it's a choice between this or stem cells from embryos, the ultraconservatives will probably suddenly start raving about how awesome embryonic stem cells are :P
Actually the pro-life people I know all support adult stem cell research. I don't think "Balls are gross" is going to be legitimate reason for them to suddenly change their position on killing embryos. The obvious advantage is that you could grow your own stem cells into tissue with your own DNA. From my basic understanding of transplants, I imagine this would be superior to a combination of two strangers' DNA. The only red flag I could see coming from the Evangelicals would be that this is a slippery slope to human cloning, and I think that's a rather weak argument.

I was thinking more of a knee-jerk "Stay away from my balls!" sort of thing rather than anything rational.
Physicists do it in an excited state.
m/bi/UK/Ⓐ/chaotic good
b. 1988 d. 20xx

Chicory

Postby Chicory » Mon Mar 23, 2009 8:42 pm UTC

Darkscull wrote:I was thinking more of a knee-jerk "Stay away from my balls!" sort of thing rather than anything rational.

I, for one, would tear thousands of wailing fetuses from their mother's fertile wombs in order to protect my coin bag.
No matter what you have to say, Will said it more elegantly, more succinctly, and more lyrically - and he probably did it in iambic pentameter - four hundred years ago.

psyck0

Postby psyck0 » Mon Mar 23, 2009 9:11 pm UTC

That's about the 5th new way to get stem cells I've heard of so far this year. When are they going to say "we did it" and start applying them?

e946

Postby e946 » Mon Mar 23, 2009 9:44 pm UTC

Once they're sure those stem cells don't randomly turn into cancer 2 years down the road, which happens with at least one method i've heard about. Embryonic stem cells are so great because we know so much about them compared with the other methods.

Dhes

Postby Dhes » Tue Mar 24, 2009 7:56 am UTC

men could be cured of disease with a biopsy of their own testes," says the study's senior investigat

Sorry girls, I guess you just don’t have the balls to get cured.
I’m dyslexic, so I tent tot pull things way out of contacts.

Dr_Gonzo

Postby Dr_Gonzo » Tue Mar 24, 2009 12:35 pm UTC

Dhes wrote:
men could be cured of disease with a biopsy of their own testes," says the study's senior investigat

Sorry girls, I guess you just don’t have the balls to get cured.

That was *cooold blooded*!
"We are all atheists about most of the gods that humanity has ever believed in. Some of us just go one god further." -Richard Dawkins

Red Hal
Magically Delicious

Postby Red Hal » Tue Mar 24, 2009 1:09 pm UTC

Right now, the ability to make stem cells is more of a solution looking for a problem. Until we can reliably differentiate the cells into the required tissue type, then any source of them is helping to provide raw material for research that is sorely needed. In contrast to the above I would happily and willingly undergo biopsy or similar procedure to help generate this raw material for research, as long as the correct controls were in place to avoid misuse.

Maybe the reason that these stories pop up and then disappear is that stem cells are at present a largely untapped potential. When the media will go nuts over this is when the next advance is made. I would imagine that the way things are going, growing new teeth has the potential to be one of the first "mass-market" applications.
Lost Greatest Silent Baby X Y Z. "There is no one who loves pain itself, who seeks after it and wants to have it, simply because it is pain..."

Jebobek

Postby Jebobek » Tue Mar 24, 2009 5:05 pm UTC

I'd like to think that there are stem cell projects that are being held back due to controversy over the source of the cells, so I'm glad that they're finding different methods of getting them. Dr. Hobbs hit some controversy when he was transplanting bone marrow from one person into another, yet now its a supported practice. Stem cells are only a few steps farther from undifferentiated than the classification of bone marrow cells, and the fact that we can extract them from healthy individuals (and keep them healthy) should make stem cell research a reasonably acceptable practice. The biggest hurdle is making the darn things turn into what we want them to become, which took fetus developmental evolution quite a while.

Having clinics where college kids can make a quick buck by donating stem cells for research (from not only the testes but eventually other parts of the body) would be a great way of advancing research by the amount of material both industries and academia can work with. They would have to work on the security and moral concerns.

Gears
Bulletproof

Postby Gears » Fri Mar 27, 2009 3:59 am UTC

Wow, now we just need donors.
Shuckerbuckers.
General_Norris wrote:I notice a lack of counter-arguments and a lot of fisting.

LuNatic

Postby LuNatic » Fri Mar 27, 2009 8:07 am UTC

Chicory wrote:What do they consider a "relatively simple process"? A rubber band and a pair of shears is relatively simple, but I'll be damned if you'll hear me praising the advancement.

I can't think of anything useful that a rubber band and shears could actually do together. It does sound like a recipe for an ambulance trip though.
Cynical Idealist wrote:
Velict wrote:Good Jehova, there are cheesegraters on the blagotube!

This is, for some reason, one of the funniest things I've read today.

Return to “News & Articles”