Euro MP calls for big red button to control computer games

Seen something interesting in the news or on the intertubes? Discuss it here.

Moderators: Zamfir, Hawknc, Moderators General, Prelates

GCM

Euro MP calls for big red button to control computer games

Postby GCM » Wed Mar 25, 2009 4:31 pm UTC

Can't find anything related, so...

http://www.thisisderbyshire.co.uk/polit ... ticle.html

Apparently the concept of the power button is lost on some people...
All warfare is based on heavily-armed robotic commandos.
~Sun Tzu

Notes: My last avatar was "Vote Robot Nixon", so I'm gonna keep a list here. :D

Woofsie

Re: Euro MP calls for big red button to control computer games

Postby Woofsie » Wed Mar 25, 2009 4:45 pm UTC

:lol:

Jahoclave
sourmilk's moderator

Postby Jahoclave » Wed Mar 25, 2009 6:24 pm UTC

I really hope they do pass it an that somebody like Bill Gates sends this memo.

Memo to European Union:
Dear Morons,
Try the power button. You'll be surprised just how well that works.

Sincerely,
Bill Gates

P.S. Learn to parent, n00bs.

Gellert1984

Postby Gellert1984 » Wed Mar 25, 2009 6:44 pm UTC

/facepalm

I wonder about people I really do, not just the stupid EMP 'big red button' thing but about parents in general. We added a system similar to that of videos/dvds wherein the box has a reccomended age and usually content information. Parents then buy GTA:SA for there kid and walk into there room see them pimpin' hoes and complain that they thought it was 'only a game'. And Nightmare on elm street is only a movie.

morale of the story:-
READ THE MUTHERFRACKIN' BOX!
The only time I question the right to Free Speech is when I watch Fox News, probably due to the fact that I don't think they really believe in it. -Elisa Scaldaferri

Jahoclave
sourmilk's moderator

Postby Jahoclave » Wed Mar 25, 2009 6:51 pm UTC

Gellert1984 wrote:/facepalm

I wonder about people I really do, not just the stupid EMP 'big red button' thing but about parents in general. We added a system similar to that of videos/dvds wherein the box has a reccomended age and usually content information. Parents then buy GTA:SA for there kid and walk into there room see them pimpin' hoes and complain that they thought it was 'only a game'. And Nightmare on elm street is only a movie.

morale of the story:-
READ THE MUTHERFRACKIN' BOX!

The Internet! Use it!

I have no sympathy for parents on these sorts of things.

Gellert1984

Postby Gellert1984 » Wed Mar 25, 2009 7:05 pm UTC

Jahoclave wrote:The Internet! Use it!

I have no sympathy for parents on these sorts of things.

Well in fairness I understand that parents these days have very little control of there children(discussion for another thread) and may not have the opportunity to go home and research a game properly without severe risk of pounding lil' johnny into a greasy stain (I hate kids) but the back of the box is right there! you cant miss it! or the 18 sticker on the side in the corner and around the back.

As for online play, your pretty much screwed since you cant police everyone your kid meets online, all you can do is hope you werent a total failure as a parent and your kid can see a sexual predator for what it is.
The only time I question the right to Free Speech is when I watch Fox News, probably due to the fact that I don't think they really believe in it. -Elisa Scaldaferri

The Reaper

Postby The Reaper » Wed Mar 25, 2009 10:21 pm UTC

Nothin' a good spanking can't fix. People should learn to parent instead of blaming their kids inefficiencies on everything else.

crowey
That's DOCTOR Crowey, to you

Postby crowey » Thu Mar 26, 2009 2:06 am UTC

Gellert1984 wrote: all you can do is hope you werent a total failure as a parent and your kid can see a sexual predator for what it is.

careful....I really hope you're not putting the blame for kids being abused [by people who aren't the parent] on the parents. That's only one off from blaming the kids.

Cack on topic, that MP is not making herself look clever "if only there was some way to suddenly stop the game being played, like, a button that somehow stopped the game, maybe by removing the power. Yes, some kind of power off button, that's what we need. If only someone had thought of this earlier, we can save out children from theEvil Computer Games and we can save electricity. WIN!"

The Reaper

Postby The Reaper » Thu Mar 26, 2009 5:37 am UTC

crowey wrote:
Gellert1984 wrote: all you can do is hope you werent a total failure as a parent and your kid can see a sexual predator for what it is.

careful....I really hope you're not putting the blame for kids being abused [by people who aren't the parent] on the parents. That's only one off from blaming the kids.

Cack on topic, that MP is not making herself look clever "if only there was some way to suddenly stop the game being played, like, a button that somehow stopped the game, maybe by removing the power. Yes, some kind of power off button, that's what we need. If only someone had thought of this earlier, we can save out children from theEvil Computer Games and we can save electricity. WIN!"

Well, at least it goes to show, power buttons these days aren't bright red and obvious enough. o_O It should also be properly labeled as 'PANIC'

Gellert1984

Postby Gellert1984 » Thu Mar 26, 2009 12:40 pm UTC

crowey wrote:

To some degree I am, not in the its all the parents fault, and not detracting from the guilt of a murdering paedo.

But you do have to wonder about certain events. For example, there was an article recently about a boy who murdered mum and and severely injured dad with dad's gun because they took halo 3 away from him. Somehow I think lil' johnny needed more spanking time and less alone time. It's also one of the reasons I'm never gonna have kids, I'd make an awful parent, in my experience there is no absolute success in parenting only degrees of failure. It tends to be that your kid gets high grades but has no social life, has a social life but is doing drugs, has neither grades nor social life but plays computer games and does drugs while robbing the convenience store every saturday (thatst he media's view of kids right there).

Western governments are only making it harder by stopping parents from punishing there children.

Julien

Postby Julien » Thu Mar 26, 2009 12:45 pm UTC

This might be a consequence of this shooting in a German school. Every medias claimed it was because he played "violent games"...

This is ridiculous.
Do not conquer. Do not fight back. Do not give up.
(One cookie for each person who recognizes the guy on my avatar. And no, it's not me. Clue : he's not a former american president.)

the_bandersnatch
Actually not so frumious.
Location: on a bed in a room inside a TV in a hotel room in a hotel on a Monopoly board

Postby the_bandersnatch » Thu Mar 26, 2009 3:08 pm UTC

I loved this comment under the article:

It is a fact of life that many young children use platstations, whether we like it or not.

Them youngsters, I don't like 'em using platstations, but I just can't stop 'em! I gets me plat from the street.
In girum imus nocte, et consumimur igni

Decker

Postby Decker » Thu Mar 26, 2009 3:24 pm UTC

The Reaper wrote:o_O It should also be properly labeled as 'PANIC'

...I know what I'm doing when I get back to my computer.
*Is on the school computer now*
I was angry with my friend. I told my wrath. My wrath did end.
I was angry with my foe. I told it not. My wrath did grow.

GCM

Postby GCM » Thu Mar 26, 2009 3:59 pm UTC

I'm not sure whether I should be more amused or worried for humanity...

Maybe I'll make a poll.
~Sun Tzu

Velict

Postby Velict » Thu Mar 26, 2009 4:03 pm UTC

The European Parliament only has a small degree of control over affairs in the European Union and its constituent states. Sure, it's power has been increasing of late, but I don't think we should be worried about what some European MP is saying.

frezik

Postby frezik » Thu Mar 26, 2009 4:38 pm UTC

Can anyone cite an example of a game that hides what it is? A quick glance over the box will nearly always tell you what's in it. Even in the case of something like the Hot Coffee Mod, you're talking about a game that had a hidden sex scene inside its ultraviolence (besides the fact that the mod unlocked content that was specifically left out). Yet every politician involved keeps saying parents need to be better informed about content.
I do not agree with the beer you drink, but will defend to the death your right to drink it

Gellert1984

Postby Gellert1984 » Thu Mar 26, 2009 5:44 pm UTC

frezik wrote:Can anyone cite an example of a game that hides what it is? A quick glance over the box will nearly always tell you what's in it. Even in the case of something like the Hot Coffee Mod, you're talking about a game that had a hidden sex scene inside its ultraviolence (besides the fact that the mod unlocked content that was specifically left out). Yet every politician involved keeps saying parents need to be better informed about content.

FEAR 2 hides it pretty well I thought the game was gonna be about running in a field with a swing hanging from a tree and bunny rabbits, but it was a horror FPS, I am outraged. If only my PC had a bigred button instead of a big black and silver button! Wont somebody think of the children!

wst

Postby wst » Thu Mar 26, 2009 5:59 pm UTC

The ol' RROD worked pretty well. Bright, red, stopped games...
Anything I said pre-2014 that you want to quote me on, just run it past me to check I still agree with myself.

Gears
Bulletproof

Postby Gears » Fri Mar 27, 2009 3:11 am UTC

My computer only has a big blue screen that stops my game.
General_Norris wrote:I notice a lack of counter-arguments and a lot of fisting.

Sockmonkey

Postby Sockmonkey » Fri Mar 27, 2009 4:04 am UTC

But, but, I dun wanna have to be a responsible parent!

phlip
Restorer of Worlds

Postby phlip » Fri Mar 27, 2009 4:26 am UTC

In related news, I'm going to have to get a giant red button attatched to the top of my computer (with some appropriate label)... but I don't particularly want to hook it up to the power, that just seems like a bad idea. But it has to do something awesome... any suggestions?

Code: Select all

enum ಠ_ಠ {°□°╰=1, °Д°╰, ಠ益ಠ╰};
void ┻━┻︵​╰(ಠ_ಠ ⚠) {exit((int)⚠);}
[he/him/his]

Marbas

Postby Marbas » Fri Mar 27, 2009 4:27 am UTC

phlip wrote:In related news, I'm going to have to get a giant red button attatched to the top of my computer (with some appropriate label)... but I don't particularly want to hook it up to the power, that just seems like a bad idea. But it has to do something awesome... any suggestions?

It should cause your oven to automatically bake a cake!
Jahoclave wrote:Do you have any idea how much more fun the holocaust is with "Git er Done" as the catch phrase?

Arancaytar

Postby Arancaytar » Fri Mar 27, 2009 10:55 am UTC

Julien wrote:This might be a consequence of this shooting in a German school. Every medias claimed it was because he played "violent games"...

This is ridiculous.

It's awesome how one article listed the primary reasons for the shooting as:

1. he played violent video games
2. he had access to a gun.

Makes sense! Obviously, if he hadn't played these games, he would not have acquired the psychiatric disorder he had previously been diagnosed with. On the other hand, if his dad hadn't kept an automatic assault weapon (for "sports", sure) within easy reach, this high-school kid with no criminal history would have just used his excellent connections with the organized gun-smuggling mafia to get a weapon on the black market. It's clear where the priority lies!
"You cannot dual-wield the sharks. One is enough." -Our DM.

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Fri Mar 27, 2009 11:15 am UTC

Marbas wrote:
phlip wrote:In related news, I'm going to have to get a giant red button attatched to the top of my computer (with some appropriate label)... but I don't particularly want to hook it up to the power, that just seems like a bad idea. But it has to do something awesome... any suggestions?

If the way is hazy...

Hahah, you now have an irritating song stuck in your head!
What would Baron Harkonnen do?

Jahoclave
sourmilk's moderator

Postby Jahoclave » Fri Mar 27, 2009 7:12 pm UTC

Arancaytar wrote:
Julien wrote:This might be a consequence of this shooting in a German school. Every medias claimed it was because he played "violent games"...

This is ridiculous.

Makes sense! Obviously, if he hadn't played these games, he would not have acquired the psychiatric disorder he had previously been diagnosed with. On the other hand, if his dad hadn't kept an automatic assault weapon (for "sports", sure) within easy reach, this high-school kid with no criminal history would have just used his excellent connections with the organized gun-smuggling mafia to get a weapon on the black market. It's clear where the priority lies!

God damn it. Did GTA teach this kid nothing?! Seriously, I think our video games need more work. How hard is it to learn to properly do criminal activity? If our video games are causing kids to shoot up the school when they could be hawking weapons for cash then the problem with our video games isn't violence and censorship. And they say that video games are educational. This is clearly a failure to educate.

wst

Postby wst » Fri Mar 27, 2009 7:17 pm UTC

Arancaytar wrote:

This is ridiculous.

Omitting the fact that computer games are a *brilliant* guide to 'how to use a gun'.

Wait, no they aren't :/
Anything I said pre-2014 that you want to quote me on, just run it past me to check I still agree with myself.

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Fri Mar 27, 2009 7:22 pm UTC

wst wrote:
Arancaytar wrote:

This is ridiculous.

Omitting the fact that computer games are a *brilliant* guide to 'how to use a gun'.

Wait, no they aren't :/

Wait wait wait.

Are you seriously trying to tell me that murdering a fellow human being with a gun is NOT just like clicking on a mouse?

*shock*
What would Baron Harkonnen do?

Bright Shadows

Postby Bright Shadows » Fri Mar 27, 2009 8:35 pm UTC

I have heard and read many times in the national media, concern that content in stuff like playstation games is gearing away very much from what might be considered appropriate for children- and that is a reality. It seems to be purely in the interests of selling to a wider market- or what is perceived as entertainment.
It is a fact of life that many young children use platstations, whether we like it or not. I agree there are some safety measures, like age recommendations- but there are often "hidden" elements that can be undesirable.So I agree there needs to be more stringent controls- AND an imaginative approach by manufacturers to gear part of their market more appropriately towards younger people.This would not impact in any way on the "adult" users/market- so I can't see why cause for complaint.
I have absoloutely no problem with sanctioning certain obvious games from my son-
but there seems to be a lot of undesirable content in amongst otherwise entertaining games.
The reality is, as I say- playstation games are the "norm" amongst childern's entertainment , therefore there should be the same precautions appled as any other form of online stuff/TV etc.

I'm afraid. People like this can VOTE.
Yeah, it was someone from the United States, I think.

Content moving tword an older audience:
Thank God. (I take this literally, eh. There were several prayers on this matter.)

Using PlayStations, like it or not:
Um... How is someone who needs to be watched getting 600 dollars again? (original price, now $250, and the point still works) Not to mention another 60 dollars for each game... This is not a well phrased statement. I mean, friends' houses and stuff, but again, if you're worried, it takes 10 seconds to tell your kids to look at the game's box they're playing, and ask to play something else if it has an *insert inappropriate rating here* on it. Online stuff for kids who need observance can be covered by instructions and a blocker.

Hidden elements to games:
Also called "user created content" in the one case this statement can really even be applied. I agree that in less extreme cases you might find something comes up like Zero Suit Samus you wouldn't approve of, but hardly ever anything serious in the slightest. ZSS is actually in a Teen rated game, and is a fairly extreme case.

Gearing the market tword younger audiences:
See: Nintendo's worst idea ever, or just Nintendo
Apply liberally, but watch out for that odd T rated game, just to be safe. That Super Smash Bros thing might teach your kids how to fight, or Twilight Princess might give them ideas about becoming a furry. >_____>

Not impacting other users:
See: Nintendo's worst thought train ever.

Banning games:
Try reading the already present ESRB label. It work better, as you can be more specific.
Also, properly using sound options, you can remove almost all language issues, which I would presume would be the main issue here.

Precautions:
See: ESRB label (30 seconds)
See: Parental involvement (Varies)
See: Making rules about games (5 minutes)

Aikanaro

Postby Aikanaro » Fri Mar 27, 2009 8:48 pm UTC

I think we need to ban all phones, too. After all, kids could call each other, and hear SWEAR WORDS!
Dear xkcd,

On behalf of my religion, I'm sorry so many of us do dumb shit. Please forgive us.

Love, Aikanaro.

headprogrammingczar

Postby headprogrammingczar » Sat Mar 28, 2009 1:18 am UTC

In that case, it should be illegal for a person younger than 18 to visit New York City.
<quintopia> You're not crazy. you're the goddamn headprogrammingspock!
<Weeks> You're the goddamn headprogrammingspock!
<Cheese> I love you

Vieto

Postby Vieto » Sat Mar 28, 2009 1:43 am UTC

it should be illegal to go to kindergarten!!!

Jahoclave
sourmilk's moderator

Postby Jahoclave » Sat Mar 28, 2009 1:57 am UTC

Or, you know, we could do the practical thing and ban schools. What's the one thing every one of these school shootings has in common? They all took place in schools.

It's not the video games. Even if they do play video games, which not all of them have, they aren't the same games. Clearly the common denominator is school buildings. We should ban those.

joshz

Postby joshz » Sat Mar 28, 2009 2:06 am UTC

Jahoclave wrote:Or, you know, we could do the practical thing and ban schools. What's the one thing every one of these school shootings has in common? They all took place in schools.

It's not the video games. Even if they do play video games, which not all of them have, they aren't the same games. Clearly the common denominator is school buildings. We should ban those.
Also, every murderer ever has eaten food and breathed air, so we should clearly ban those activities too.
You, sir, name? wrote:If you have over 26 levels of nesting, you've got bigger problems ... than variable naming.
suffer-cait wrote:it might also be interesting to note here that i don't like 5 fingers. they feel too bulky.

Vieto

Postby Vieto » Sat Mar 28, 2009 2:10 am UTC

and they were born! Ban that too.

Gears
Bulletproof

Postby Gears » Sat Mar 28, 2009 2:11 am UTC

Aww man, ninja'd.
You popped my ninja cherry.wut wut
General_Norris wrote:I notice a lack of counter-arguments and a lot of fisting.

Princess Marzipan

Postby Princess Marzipan » Sat Mar 28, 2009 2:21 am UTC

Sweet! Mandatory abortions!

*gets the coat hangers*
"It's Saturday night. I've got no date, a two-liter of Shasta, and my all-Rush mixtape. Let's rock!"
"I am just about to be brilliant!"
General_Norris, on feminism, wrote:If you lose your six Pokémon, you lost.

Jahoclave
sourmilk's moderator

Postby Jahoclave » Sat Mar 28, 2009 2:32 am UTC

Princess Marzipan wrote:Sweet! Mandatory abortions!

*gets the coat hangers*

It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas...

I'm so happy that the great and powerful OBama has thought up such a great plan for us to follow. He is a tribute to the greatest thing to ever happen in America, ever. God could sure take some pointers from such a great man.

Luthen

Postby Luthen » Sun Mar 29, 2009 10:41 pm UTC

Doesn't the xbox already have a big red button ring, anyway?

Marbas wrote:
That's a lie!

Your choice is clear
My fancy new blog Image I am not a vampire! Image PM my location for a prize!*

rnew: ALL GLORY TO THE HYPNOAVATAR!
*Terms + conditions changeable

GCM

Postby GCM » Mon Mar 30, 2009 1:08 pm UTC

What I learnt from Team Fortress 2:

1) Sniper rifles charge the longer you scope in. So, before shooting a bank robber who's got a hostage and is about to kill him, be sure to look through your scope for at least four seconds, otherwise you won't kill him.

2) Shooting a rocket at your feet while jumping will launch you a couple of stories into the air. It will sting a little, though. Nothing walking over a first aid kit won't fix immediately.

3) Hitting a machine with a wrench several times will repair it. If it's not broken, it will make it bigger and better!

4) You can walk through your friends, but not your enemies.

I am surrounded by Spies.
~Sun Tzu

LuNatic

Postby LuNatic » Wed Apr 01, 2009 6:33 am UTC

It should make your music player of choice blast out 'highway to the dangerzone' at high volume.
Cynical Idealist wrote:
Velict wrote:Good Jehova, there are cheesegraters on the blagotube!

This is, for some reason, one of the funniest things I've read today.

Return to “News & Articles”