Bill Nye booed in Waco, said moon doesn't generate light

Seen something interesting in the news or on the intertubes? Discuss it here.

Moderators: Zamfir, Hawknc, Moderators General, Prelates

Clumpy

Bill Nye booed in Waco, said moon doesn't generate light

Postby Clumpy » Thu Apr 23, 2009 6:44 pm UTC

And the actual article is even more entertaining:

Bill Nye "The Science Guy" was booed in Waco, Texas in 2006 for suggesting the Moon did not generate its own light, but reflected light from the sun.

Trouble started when the children's entertainer brought up Genesis 1:16, which reads: "God made two great lights -- the greater light to govern the day and the lesser light to govern the night. He also made the stars," and pointed out that the lesser light was actually a reflector.

At this point, several people in the audience stormed out, including woman with three small children who shouted, "We believe in God!" and left.

This is less of a slam on Christians than a particular breed of Christian - reactionary, stimulus-response troglodytes who hide behind their religion as a shield from actual knowledge. To be fair, people like this are easy targets (and pretty much universally mocked), though I find this stuff endlessly fascinating.

EDIT: Oops - old story. This is cropping up everywhere again for some reason.
Last edited by Clumpy on Thu Apr 23, 2009 7:29 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Re: Bill Nye booed in Waco, said moon doesn't generate light

Postby Izawwlgood » Thu Apr 23, 2009 6:52 pm UTC

The original Waco Trib. article makes it sound like the religious woman who left in a huff was overreacting, and seemed very much in favor of Bill Nye (the science guy!).

I think in general, if you get in a public forum, and without prompting question the validity of someone's beliefs, they will get offended. Especially if they stupidly believe in literal translations of an ancient text.
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

uncivlengr

Postby uncivlengr » Thu Apr 23, 2009 6:58 pm UTC

Yeah it's dumb, but why is a 3 year old story making the rounds all of a sudden? This is the second time I've seen this story mentioned today.
I don't know what to do for you

Mega D

Postby Mega D » Thu Apr 23, 2009 7:02 pm UTC

uncivlengr wrote:Yeah it's dumb, but why is a 3 year old story making the rounds all of a sudden? This is the second time I've seen this story mentioned today.

Maybe it's Texans working undercover to grease the wheels for their upcoming secession. They're reminding us of all this stuff now so we won't miss them or put up a fight once they leave.

SJ Zero

Postby SJ Zero » Thu Apr 23, 2009 7:04 pm UTC

Yes, because Bill Nye getting heckled is definitely the most batshit insane thing to come from Waco Texas regarding insane religious zealots.

Moo
Oh man! I'm going to be so rebellious! I'm gonna...

Postby Moo » Thu Apr 23, 2009 7:09 pm UTC

Damn right, SJ Zero; each location in the world is only allowed one news event reported from it. Anything else will always lose out in "Newsworthy Top Trumps" to the Waco insident - shame on anyone for mentioning anything else from that area! SHAME!

:roll:
Proverbs 9:7-8 wrote:Anyone who rebukes a mocker will get an insult in return. Anyone who corrects the wicked will get hurt. So don't bother correcting mockers; they will only hate you.
Hawknc wrote:FFT: I didn't realise Proverbs 9:7-8 was the first recorded instance of "haters gonna hate"

SJ Zero

Postby SJ Zero » Thu Apr 23, 2009 7:16 pm UTC

Context within discussion:

Mega D:"Waco, Texas is reminding us about how crazy they are."
SJ Zero:"Waco, Texas is way crazier than this."

Context.

uncivlengr

Postby uncivlengr » Thu Apr 23, 2009 8:29 pm UTC

It's a little worse than it simply being an old story - the bloggers that picked up this story cherry-picked the info to make it seem like the reaction was a lot worse than it really was.

The Waco Tribune has reposted the original article on its website. An excerpt, with emphasis added:

Waco Tribune wrote:Speaking as part of MCC’s Distinguished Lecturer Series, Nye spoke to two audiences, one at 1:30 p.m. and the second at 7 p.m., of about 600 each. He said the first audience, though littered with young children listening to some rather adult scientific topics, “was very supportive.”

The second group also was rapt from the beginning, greeting the scientist with a raucous standing ovation upon his introduction.
The article also mentions the reaction he received from criticizing the Biblical account of the moon and Sun, but it certainly doesn't seem as bad as it's made out to be by these bloggers.

Jahoclave
sourmilk's moderator

Postby Jahoclave » Thu Apr 23, 2009 8:39 pm UTC

Moo wrote:Damn right, SJ Zero; each location in the world is only allowed one news event reported from it. Anything else will always lose out in "Newsworthy Top Trumps" to the Waco insident - shame on anyone for mentioning anything else from that area! SHAME!

:roll:

Bitches don't fucking insult Bill Nye. We're burning down more than the Branch Davidian Complex and this time, it's personal! :roll:

@Unc: Probably because the story in the newspaper is dated to today.

The Reaper

Postby The Reaper » Thu Apr 23, 2009 8:47 pm UTC

Oh waco, you're so backwards. :\

uncivlengr

Postby uncivlengr » Thu Apr 23, 2009 9:24 pm UTC

Jahoclave wrote:@Unc: Probably because the story in the newspaper is dated to today.
As I said, only because the story was reposted in response to the blog attention - it wasn't there before that.

edit (6:00pm EST): and since I made this post, the old link from 2006 went back up. Otherwise, it looks like their archives aren't available without a subscription.
Last edited by uncivlengr on Thu Apr 23, 2009 10:02 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Sockmonkey

Postby Sockmonkey » Thu Apr 23, 2009 9:58 pm UTC

The Reaper wrote:Oh whacko, you're so backwards. :\

Fixd'

Rachel!

Postby Rachel! » Thu Apr 23, 2009 10:02 pm UTC

Do troglodytes come in energy drink form?

netcrusher88

Postby netcrusher88 » Thu Apr 23, 2009 11:55 pm UTC

SJ Zero wrote:Mega D:"Waco, Texas is reminding us about how crazy they are."
SJ Zero:"Waco, Texas is way crazier than this."

90% sure most people in Waco didn't have anything to do with the Koresh fiasco, and most if not all of those who did died when he/they blew up the compound.
Sexothermic
I have only ever made one prayer to God, a very short one: "O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous." And God granted it. -Voltaire
They said we would never have a black president until Swine Flu. -Gears

Clumpy

Postby Clumpy » Fri Apr 24, 2009 12:59 am UTC

Note that it pretty much goes without saying that morons like this are a distinct minority even in the most backwoods, backward, bass-ackward town. Uh. . . not that Waco is.

Princess Marzipan

Postby Princess Marzipan » Fri Apr 24, 2009 2:59 am UTC

Rachel! wrote:Do troglodytes come in energy drink form?

Yeah. I hear they're coming out with a ROCKET CAN! soon.
"It's Saturday night. I've got no date, a two-liter of Shasta, and my all-Rush mixtape. Let's rock!"
"I am just about to be brilliant!"
General_Norris, on feminism, wrote:If you lose your six Pokémon, you lost.

psychosomaticism

Postby psychosomaticism » Fri Apr 24, 2009 4:05 am UTC

From Nofx's "Leaving Jesusland:"

"The fear stricken, born again Christian, they got a vision a homogenized state
Textbook decline, Intelligent Design
They got Bill Nye on the list to execrate."

And really, saying that the moon is a reflector doesn't mean it doesn't act as a light; how is that offending anyone, to just specify that they're different? Is it really sacrilege to say the moon doesn't glow?
Last edited by psychosomaticism on Fri Apr 24, 2009 7:41 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

fyrenwater

Postby fyrenwater » Fri Apr 24, 2009 4:09 am UTC

Maybe the story is going around again 'cause Bill Nye has been on Who Wants to Be a Millionaire this week? Just a theory...

Anyway, super-religious people of any and all religions get pissed off at science facts or theories that don't mesh well with their scriptures or beliefs. This is just another case where they flipped out and other people mocked them for being so adamantly against science.

Not that I'm trying to be disrespectful. It's just that ignoring proven facts doesn't positively contribute to anyone's reputation.
...It made more sense in my head.

Comic JK

Postby Comic JK » Fri Apr 24, 2009 6:59 am UTC

fyrenwater wrote:Anyway, super-religious people of any and all religions get pissed off at science facts or theories that don't mesh well with their scriptures or beliefs.

I'd say it really depends on the religion, in that some religions are inherently more tolerant of a changing worldview. The more liberal Christian denominations pick no scientific interpretations, biblical or otherwise, so there's no theory that really upsets them, and Buddhists, to take the extreme example, are not supposed to care about the material world at all. What scientific theory would annoy a devout Buddhist? "Turns out there's no such thing as inner peace--boy, did you ever back the wrong horse."
A webcomic funnier than life itself. Updated Monday-Friday.

Jahoclave
sourmilk's moderator

Postby Jahoclave » Fri Apr 24, 2009 8:34 am UTC

Comic JK wrote:
fyrenwater wrote:Anyway, super-religious people of any and all religions get pissed off at science facts or theories that don't mesh well with their scriptures or beliefs.

I'd say it really depends on the religion, in that some religions are inherently more tolerant of a changing worldview. The more liberal Christian denominations pick no scientific interpretations, biblical or otherwise, so there's no theory that really upsets them, and Buddhists, to take the extreme example, are not supposed to care about the material world at all. What scientific theory would annoy a devout Buddhist? "Turns out there's no such thing as inner peace--boy, did you ever back the wrong horse."

Is it sad that one of my life goals is to offend a Buddhist? Just seems like one of those really hard to do things.

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Fri Apr 24, 2009 12:22 pm UTC

Not really. Buddhists are still people, and people still can get offended easily. Sure, a really calm meditative monk might be inoffendable, but that's true in any religion. To offend a run of the mill Buddhist, just desecrate a Buddha image somewhere. That'll probably do the trick.
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

Kizyr

Postby Kizyr » Fri Apr 24, 2009 1:56 pm UTC

gmalivuk wrote:Not really. Buddhists are still people, and people still can get offended easily. Sure, a really calm meditative monk might be inoffendable, but that's true in any religion. To offend a run of the mill Buddhist, just desecrate a Buddha image somewhere. That'll probably do the trick.

You can also invade their country. That seems to work for any religion.

Re: the original post... It's more consistent with my religious beliefs that the moon reflects sunlight, not that it's a source of light itself (i.e., if Genesis were to be taken literally the handful of people who booed him were to be believed, and the moon were a source of light itself, it'd be more "problematic"). But, I don't define my acceptance of scientific theories vis-a-vis my religious beliefs, so it's not an issue anyway. KF

(EDIT: Edited on account of mosc's clarification.)
Last edited by Kizyr on Fri Apr 24, 2009 11:46 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
~Kizyr

mosc
Doesn't care what you think.

Postby mosc » Fri Apr 24, 2009 4:07 pm UTC

The bible doesn't say the moon generates light anyway. It's a shitty translation of Genesis 1.16:
הַמְּאֹרֹת הַגְּדֹלִים -> "Great Light". The moon is a "Great Light" in the sky even if it doesn't GENERATE light. It doesn't claim either the Sun or the moon is really a light source, just that their relative magnitude or angular size is far larger than anything else from Earth's perspective, which they are.
Title: It was given by the XKCD moderators to me because they didn't care what I thought (I made some rantings, etc). I care what YOU think, the joke is forums.xkcd doesn't care what I think.

Jebobek

Postby Jebobek » Fri Apr 24, 2009 5:08 pm UTC

Bill Nye Got Booed in Waco!

BILLLLL NYYYYE. GOT BOOOOED IN WACOOOO.

Boo! Boo! Boo! Boo! Boo-Bill Nye Got Booed in Waco!

(*Guitar Solo*) *Neerrr nalawlala waa waaaa..* *Neeerrr nalalala Neeerr Nalalala-* Bill Nye Got Booed in Waco!

"Scinece Sucks!"

(Inertia is a property of matter)

frezik

Postby frezik » Fri Apr 24, 2009 5:47 pm UTC

Thing is, the biblical account can mesh just fine as long as you have realisitic standards for how the details work out. The account was written for an agrarian culture thousands of years ago. A highly detailed description of, say, how hydrogen fuses into heavier elements would just be confusing and unnecessary.

Note John 21:25 (New International Version):

Jesus did many other things as well. If every one of them were written down, I suppose that even the whole world would not have room for the books that would be written.

So by its own admission, the Greek Scriptures can't practically give every detail of the life of its principal character. Why would people expect Genesis to be the complete authority on everything that happened to make the universe and life?
I do not agree with the beer you drink, but will defend to the death your right to drink it

bigglesworth
I feel like Biggles should have a title

Postby bigglesworth » Fri Apr 24, 2009 5:51 pm UTC

gmalivuk wrote:To offend a run of the mill Buddhist, just desecrate a Buddha image somewhere.
Come across the Buddha on the road then kill him in cold blood?
Generation Y. I don't remember the First Gulf War, but do remember floppy disks.

headprogrammingczar

Postby headprogrammingczar » Fri Apr 24, 2009 7:16 pm UTC

bigglesworth wrote:
gmalivuk wrote:To offend a run of the mill Buddhist, just desecrate a Buddha image somewhere.

Not possible. He comes back as a bear and kicks your ass.
<quintopia> You're not crazy. you're the goddamn headprogrammingspock!
<Weeks> You're the goddamn headprogrammingspock!
<Cheese> I love you

netcrusher88

Postby netcrusher88 » Fri Apr 24, 2009 7:33 pm UTC

Sexothermic
I have only ever made one prayer to God, a very short one: "O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous." And God granted it. -Voltaire
They said we would never have a black president until Swine Flu. -Gears

Vieto

Postby Vieto » Fri Apr 24, 2009 7:54 pm UTC

what if he replies in metaphor, or with a counter-question? Such as:

"You mean that assembly of molecules down this futile combination of asphalt and carbonated iron that provides combustable carbon liquid for you're mortal's combustible engine motors that you still need, after 100 years, and is causing you're planet to burn up? That one? 10,000 of what you mortals call 'meters' that way."

fyrenwater

Postby fyrenwater » Sat Apr 25, 2009 6:02 am UTC

gmalivuk wrote:just desecrate a Buddha image somewhere. That'll probably do the trick.

I'm not even Buddhist, but if anyone did that, I would fucking kick them in the face. Same goes for the desecration of most religious or otherwise sacred objects, though.

Jebobek wrote:Bill Nye Got Booed in Waco!

I want to sig that so badly, but I'm all out of space. Maybe I should just screencap it and use the image as a sig?
...It made more sense in my head.

Dibley

Postby Dibley » Sat Apr 25, 2009 6:23 am UTC

Then you stab him for asking tricky questions.

Jebobek

Postby Jebobek » Tue Apr 28, 2009 3:55 pm UTC

Although tricky, I don't want to stab fyrenwater because he wants to sig me.

Oh, wait, the Vieto question, right

zealo

Postby zealo » Tue Apr 28, 2009 8:04 pm UTC

fyrenwater wrote:I'm not even Buddhist, but if anyone did that, I would fucking kick them in the face. Same goes for the desecration of most religious or otherwise sacred objects, though.

really? every time you see someone eating beef you kick them in the face?
ave_matthew wrote:in a perfect system a gallon of body fat is worth one third of the US GDP

mind404

Postby mind404 » Tue Apr 28, 2009 8:20 pm UTC

Everyone knows that cheese glows in outer space... duh...
Chainmaille, our best personal raptor defense wear

Arancaytar

Postby Arancaytar » Wed Apr 29, 2009 1:00 pm UTC

Jahoclave wrote:Is it sad that one of my life goals is to offend a Buddhist? Just seems like one of those really hard to do things.

... you know, in theory it should be hard to offend Christians too, what with all the "turn the other cheek" business. It doesn't work that way in real life though.

I haven't met any devout Buddhists personally, so I don't know if they follow their tenets more strictly (and less hypocritically) than most devout Christians do.
"You cannot dual-wield the sharks. One is enough." -Our DM.

Aikanaro

Postby Aikanaro » Thu Apr 30, 2009 1:54 am UTC

I think "turn the other cheek" only applies to attacks on yourself, personally, not attacks directed at God, etc.. After all, even Christ got pissy at the moneylenders in the temple.
Dear xkcd,

On behalf of my religion, I'm sorry so many of us do dumb shit. Please forgive us.

Love, Aikanaro.

Babam
the Nearly Deleted

Postby Babam » Sun May 03, 2009 8:11 am UTC

bigglesworth wrote:

If I remember correctly that is a type buddhism

If you meet buddha, kill him. Something to do with letting go.
Spoiler:
crucialityfactor wrote:I KNEW he could club bitches!

SecondTalon wrote:Reality - More fucked up than Photoshop.

s/notwittysig/wittysig

bigglesworth
I feel like Biggles should have a title

Postby bigglesworth » Sun May 03, 2009 10:35 am UTC

The idea is that if you see the Buddha outside of yourself, you're looking in the wrong place. You should instead be looking for him introspectively.
Generation Y. I don't remember the First Gulf War, but do remember floppy disks.

Klapaucius

Postby Klapaucius » Sun May 03, 2009 7:39 pm UTC

The way I've always heard it is that Buddha achieved nirvana without Buddha's help--so why do you need him?
500%!

Shivahn

Postby Shivahn » Sun May 03, 2009 8:03 pm UTC

Klapaucius wrote:The way I've always heard it is that Buddha achieved nirvana without Buddha's help--so why do you need him?

And I always thought that "if you see the buddha, kill him" meant that you should destroy any preconceptions of what he was before studying him.

Return to “News & Articles”