Half a terabyte on an optical disc

Seen something interesting in the news or on the intertubes? Discuss it here.

Moderators: Zamfir, Hawknc, Moderators General, Prelates

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Half a terabyte on an optical disc

Postby gmalivuk » Tue Apr 28, 2009 4:22 am UTC

A disc that can store 500 gigabytes (GB) of data, equivalent to 100 DVDs, has been unveiled by General Electric.

The micro-holographic disc, which is the same size as existing DVD discs, is aimed at the archive industry.

But the company believes it can eventually be used in the consumer market place and home players.

Blu-ray discs, which are used to store high definition movies and games, can currently hold between 25GB and 50GB.

Micro-holographic discs can store more data than DVDs or Blu-ray because they store information on the disc in three dimensions, rather than just pits on the surface of the disc

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/8021012.stm
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

The Reaper

Re: Half a terabyte on an optical disc

Postby The Reaper » Tue Apr 28, 2009 4:37 am UTC

poxic
Eloquently Prismatic

Postby poxic » Tue Apr 28, 2009 4:37 am UTC

Lovely, but how long will they last before oxidation and/or other manner of decay sets in? It doesn't matter much for many applications, but it sure as hell matters for archivists (the stated target market for this product).

A friend of mine is old enough now that he's been able to judge the relative archival merits of various media. The winner so far is reel-to-reel tape, apparently. There are tapes around that are many decades old and which can still be played. For home use, TDK cassette tapes are the long-distance runners -- said friend has 40-year-old tapes that still play fine. Maxell cassettes, at least ones made in the '70s and '80s, are mostly unusable now. CDs are ass, often breaking down within a decade or two. Vinyl doesn't degrade much if you don't play it. :wink:

(Context: my friend is a musician who has decades of his own stuff recorded, plus that of his friends. There's sometimes only one or two copies of something kicking around. If they crap out, it's gone forever.)
In everyone's life, at some time, our inner fire goes out. It is then burst into flame by an encounter with another human being. We should all be thankful for those people who rekindle the inner spirit.
- Albert Schweitzer, philosopher, physician, musician, Nobel laureate (14 Jan 1875-1965)

MrGee

Postby MrGee » Tue Apr 28, 2009 6:24 am UTC

What do they mean by 3 dimensional storage? Are there multiple layers of data or is it some crazy hologram thing?

Also can I use it as a phaser to kill Klingons?

The Reaper

Postby The Reaper » Tue Apr 28, 2009 6:28 am UTC

MrGee wrote:What do they mean by 3 dimensional storage? Are there multiple layers of data or is it some crazy hologram thing?

Also can I use it as a phaser to kill Klingons?

You may have missed the X number of times it repeated the word hologram and variations thereof.

netcrusher88

Postby netcrusher88 » Tue Apr 28, 2009 6:43 am UTC

What really excites me about holographic storage is the fact that you don't lose much if any data from a scratch that can't be read through. You may need special equipment, but you can read it from a different angle.

I don't know about longevity, but since holograms are (I believe) part of the material and therefore don't depend on a reflective backing, I can see these lasting a very long time so long as they're protected from torsion, compression, and other physical stresses, which is fairly easy to do.

This is all based on a loose understanding of holographic storage from a Scientific American that's probably close to a decade old by now, so this whole thing could be wrong.
Sexothermic
I have only ever made one prayer to God, a very short one: "O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous." And God granted it. -Voltaire
They said we would never have a black president until Swine Flu. -Gears

zealo

Postby zealo » Tue Apr 28, 2009 10:24 am UTC

wasn't there a story about something like this a year or so ago where they had a 10 TB prototype disc and were looking at 100TB for the next step?
ave_matthew wrote:in a perfect system a gallon of body fat is worth one third of the US GDP

headprogrammingczar

Postby headprogrammingczar » Tue Apr 28, 2009 12:48 pm UTC

1: Are they rewritable?
2: How fast does it access data?
<quintopia> You're not crazy. you're the goddamn headprogrammingspock!
<Weeks> You're the goddamn headprogrammingspock!
<Cheese> I love you

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Tue Apr 28, 2009 2:42 pm UTC

Since they say this is intended for archiving, the answers are probably "no" and "not very fast, relatively speaking".
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

headprogrammingczar

Postby headprogrammingczar » Tue Apr 28, 2009 5:36 pm UTC

I was hoping this would be another step towards computers that are just glow-y cubes you hold in your hand.
<Cheese> I love you

Lucrece

Postby Lucrece » Tue Apr 28, 2009 11:33 pm UTC

headprogrammingczar wrote:I was hoping this would be another step towards computers that are just glow-y cubes you hold in your hand.

But I want orbs, not cubes! :(
Belial wrote:That's charming, Nancy, but all I hear when you talk is a bunch of yippy dog sounds.

Vaniver

Postby Vaniver » Tue Apr 28, 2009 11:37 pm UTC

Those aren't the only orbs you want.

Anyway, man I feel old (and I just got out of my teens!).
I mostly post over at LessWrong now.

Avatar from My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic, owned by Hasbro.

Lucrece

Postby Lucrece » Wed Apr 29, 2009 1:09 am UTC

Vaniver wrote:Those aren't the only orbs you want.

Anyway, man I feel old (and I just got out of my teens!).

Oooooh, that was low! I love it ;D.

And I feel stupid when I can't even appreciate the importance of a storage device for half a terabyte.
Belial wrote:That's charming, Nancy, but all I hear when you talk is a bunch of yippy dog sounds.

Will
There are about a million things I can do from behind

Postby Will » Wed Apr 29, 2009 2:21 am UTC

Dude, I can buy half TB hard drives for so cheap I may as well use the platters for coasters.

This is obviously meant for different applications, is all I'm saying.
Meaux_Pas: Is it fucking Taint Sunday or something?
liza: Screw y'all, I'm going to the moon

Arancaytar

Postby Arancaytar » Wed Apr 29, 2009 12:50 pm UTC

netcrusher88 wrote:What really excites me about holographic storage is the fact that you don't lose much if any data from a scratch that can't be read through. You may need special equipment, but you can read it from a different angle.

You still have a trade-off between density/capacity and reliability, of course. The more data you pack into the hologram, the more susceptible it will be to material degradation. But the holographic storage would indeed increase the capacity you can get for the same amount of reliability on a traditional medium.
"You cannot dual-wield the sharks. One is enough." -Our DM.

icanus

Postby icanus » Wed Apr 29, 2009 12:55 pm UTC

Dammit, why is it always discs? I want a DataCube.

Technical Ben

Postby Technical Ben » Wed Apr 29, 2009 7:57 pm UTC

icanus wrote:Dammit, why is it always discs? I want a DataCube.

Because the easiest way to read the data currently is to spin it. Hence the disc. Data cubes may work for solid state media such as sd-cards. But laser read will probably always be circular (or spherical! :D ).
It's all physics and stamp collecting.
It's not a particle or a wave. It's just an exchange.

SJ Zero

Postby SJ Zero » Wed Apr 29, 2009 8:11 pm UTC

I remember reading about this back in the '90s.

In fact...

Why is it still news? It's not coming. Give up.

Crius

Postby Crius » Wed Apr 29, 2009 11:03 pm UTC

What they were describing in the article isn't that much different than existing blu ray technology. A write-once blu ray has an expected life of 100 years (they store data a bit differently than CDs/DVDs). By stacking layers, they can reach pretty high storage density, as well. A single layer blu ray can only store 25 GB, but they can get up to 10 layers, which stores 250 GB on one disc (that's what currently exists, I don't know what the potiental maximum is).

Seraph

Postby Seraph » Wed Apr 29, 2009 11:59 pm UTC

SJ Zero wrote:I remember reading about this back in the '90s.

In fact...

[snip list]

What do you mean it's not coming? It's here. You can buy InPhase's systems right now if you have the money.

SJ Zero

Postby SJ Zero » Thu Apr 30, 2009 12:10 pm UTC

I mean, you're not going to have anything even remotely like it inside your computer in the next 10 years. It's not coming. It's been perpetual vapourware, and by the time these guys actually get a working and practical product, storage will have already moved on.

psychosomaticism

Postby psychosomaticism » Thu Apr 30, 2009 7:10 pm UTC

In fact...

Er, what? 10 years of talking about something that hasn't yet arrived makes it impossible? How long were we going on about spaceflight, or airplanes, or televisions before they actually happened? You could do this sort of argument to anything that takes a goodly time to appear.

SJ Zero

Postby SJ Zero » Thu Apr 30, 2009 8:26 pm UTC

10 years of hearing about something indicates it's not news. "Still no holographic media in your PC, film at 11, along with the lack of proof that aliens exist, and yes, Dick Cheney still a creepy guy, film at 11. That's your 2 oclock news, where we tell you about everything that isn't happening or has been happening for a rather long time!"

Jebobek

Postby Jebobek » Thu Apr 30, 2009 8:30 pm UTC

psychosomaticism wrote:Er, what? 10 years of talking about something that hasn't yet arrived makes it impossible? How long were we going on about spaceflight, or airplanes, or televisions before they actually happened? You could do this sort of argument to anything that takes a goodly time to appear.
Reminds me of:
I believe that this nation should commit itself to achieving the goal, before this decade is out, of landing a man on the Moon and returning him safely to the Earth. No single space project...will be more exciting, or more impressive to mankind, or more important...and none will be so difficult or expensive to accomplish...
— President John F. Kennedy, Special Joint Session of Congress, 25 May 1961. At the time the US manned space program had about 15 minutes of actual time logged.

If people are interested in the development, it is news. Sure, this isn't landing them on the moon 8 years after a prediction, but people still care about whats going on here.

headprogrammingczar

Postby headprogrammingczar » Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:33 pm UTC

That, and the fucking disc is right in front of your face, in an actual photograph.
<Cheese> I love you

SJ Zero

Postby SJ Zero » Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:43 pm UTC

Yeah, they've had those for years. There's no news here.

Jesus still not arrived. Cars still not flying. Holographic disk drive still not in your PC.

'; DROP DATABASE;--

Postby '; DROP DATABASE;-- » Sun May 03, 2009 10:53 pm UTC

In fact...
[snip]
Thank you. Huge optical discs, insanely fast processors, nonvolatile RAM that can replace existing RAM, and all these other technologies are "discovered" or "created" every damn year, with the article saying they'll be on the consumer market within a year/couple months. And it never happens. In the best cases the technology is produced but the price never drops below $10,000.

Let me know when I can walk down to Future Shop and buy one of these things for my computer. Or maybe fly down there in my flying car. :roll:
poxic wrote:You suck. And simultaneously rock. I think you've invented a new state of being.

scikidus

Postby scikidus » Mon May 04, 2009 1:03 am UTC

Holographic drives? I've heard of that one before, too.

New Scientist Article including helpful explanation:
http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn1 ... cords.html
Happy hollandaise!

"The universe is a figment of its own imagination" -Douglas Adams

Internetmeme

Postby Internetmeme » Mon May 04, 2009 1:17 am UTC

Just a question: How much is too much? What purpose could you possibly use this for on the general market? Even backing up a harddrive, it's safer to use another hard disk/portable harddrive. I know that programs keep getting bigger and bigger, but who's going to take the time to program an application of 100GB or more?

I assume that my above statement will be rather silly in 1-2 decades, as people were probably saying that same thing when the 512MB hard drives came out and programs were still in the single digit megabytes. Now look at them, you can't put most games completely on them.
Spoiler:

scikidus

Postby scikidus » Mon May 04, 2009 1:33 am UTC

Internetmeme wrote:Just a question: How much is too much? What purpose could you possibly use this for on the general market? Even backing up a harddrive, it's safer to use another hard disk/portable harddrive. I know that programs keep getting bigger and bigger, but who's going to take the time to program an application of 100GB or more?

I'll say that we've advanced far enough when I have the internet sitting on a device the size of a Kindle, with live updating. As in, the entire internet is stored on the device, and when it gets in range of a network, it updates new pages. It also is solar powered, flexible, and shiny.
Happy hollandaise!

Internetmeme

Postby Internetmeme » Mon May 04, 2009 2:13 am UTC

scikidus wrote:
Internetmeme wrote:Just a question: How much is too much? What purpose could you possibly use this for on the general market? Even backing up a harddrive, it's safer to use another hard disk/portable harddrive. I know that programs keep getting bigger and bigger, but who's going to take the time to program an application of 100GB or more?

I'll say that we've advanced far enough when I have the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy 1.0

Corrected.
Spoiler:

scikidus

Postby scikidus » Mon May 04, 2009 2:16 am UTC

Internetmeme wrote:
scikidus wrote:

I'll say that we've advanced far enough when I have the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy 1.0

Corrected.

Thank you.
Happy hollandaise!

Return to “News & Articles”