Octosquid

Seen something interesting in the news or on the intertubes? Discuss it here.

Moderators: Zamfir, Hawknc, Moderators General, Prelates

3.14chan

Octosquid

Postby 3.14chan » Tue Jun 09, 2009 4:44 am UTC

It's a squid, it's an octopus, it's a octosquid!

ImageImage

Octosquid is the name given to what appears to be a new species of the genus Mastigoteuthis which was discovered at a depth of 3,000 feet (910 m) off the Hawaiian Islands in the summer of 2007. On June 12, 2007, the creature was identified as an unnamed species of squid.

The animal was caught in a filter placed in one of the deep-sea pipelines of the Natural Energy Laboratory of Hawaii Authority. The ruby red creature was about a foot long, with white suction cups on its arms. The animal died three days after it was brought to the surface.
http://www.ib4f.com/board/science/sci/topic/59684#59711
"What haven't science done?"

Vellyr

Re: Octosquid

Postby Vellyr » Tue Jun 09, 2009 4:48 am UTC

I wonder if this thing qualifies for sea-kitten status...

poxic
Eloquently Prismatic

Postby poxic » Tue Jun 09, 2009 4:56 am UTC

I bloody love this planet. Every time we turn around (or unplug our sea-going pipes), we find something we didn't know existed. Heh.
TEAM SHIVAHN
Pretty much the best team ever

I hope Heaven has a periscope to Hell, because humans are really only happy relative to other humans.
- Zach Weinersmith

fyrenwater

Postby fyrenwater » Tue Jun 09, 2009 6:13 am UTC

WTF, why is the source link a chan board? I demand a news site!
...It made more sense in my head.

Zorlin

Postby Zorlin » Tue Jun 09, 2009 6:22 am UTC

fyrenwater wrote:WTF, why is the source link a chan board? I demand a news site!

Its probably photoshopped going to kill us all.
Mysterious wizard rabbit of unknown proportions.

Check out #xkcd-hugs movie night! Watch movies with your fellow xkcdians.

Meaux_Pas wrote:You're all mad.

The Reaper

Postby The Reaper » Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:02 am UTC

Are they certain this isn't just a squid missing its other 2 arms?

netcrusher88

Postby netcrusher88 » Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:12 am UTC

http://www.kitv.com/news/13674091/detail.html

Actual news story says it's just an uncommon, unnamed species of squid that happened to be missing some arms.
Sexothermic
I have only ever made one prayer to God, a very short one: "O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous." And God granted it. -Voltaire
They said we would never have a black president until Swine Flu. -Gears

The Reaper

Postby The Reaper » Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:23 am UTC

netcrusher88 wrote:http://www.kitv.com/news/13674091/detail.html

Actual news story says it's just an uncommon, unnamed species of squid that happened to be missing some arms.

Fuck yea, I win.

3.14chan

Postby 3.14chan » Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:28 am UTC

The Reaper wrote:Are they certain this isn't just a squid missing its other 2 arms?
netcrusher88 wrote:http://www.kitv.com/news/13674091/detail.html

You are right this is really a squid.

In July 5 it was octosquid
http://archives.starbulletin.com/2007/0 ... ory03.html
http://www.kpua.net/news.php?id=11960
but in more recent news they are just squids...
http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news ... cture.html

The Reaper

Postby The Reaper » Tue Jun 09, 2009 11:57 am UTC

3.14chan wrote:You are right this is really a squid.

In July 5 it was octosquid

Occam's Razor.
Wiki wrote:Squid, like cuttlefish, have eight arms and two tentacles arranged in pairs
Its much easier to think that a squid is missing 2 limbs, rather than an octopus changing body shape

3.14chan

Postby 3.14chan » Tue Jun 09, 2009 7:26 pm UTC

As a compensation for my failure I will post a real weird cephalopod.
ImageArgonauta
Argonauts are muscular, pelagic octopods. Females secrete a thin calcareous "shell" in which they reside. Shells may reach a length of 30 cm (Nesis, 1982). The dorsal arms of females are modified with large, flag-like membranes that expand over the shell and are responsible for the secretion of the shell. Eyes are very large and webs very small. The mantle-funnel locking apparatus consists of knob-like cartilages (mantle) and matching depressions (funnel). Males are dwarfs.
ImageAn unusual feature of argonauts is the secreted shell that functions as a brood chamber. The "shell" is not homologous with the true molluscan shell as evidenced by its unique site of formation: the dorsal arms of the female rather than the internal shell sac as in other coleoids. Naef (1921/3) noted the remarkable resemblance of the argonaut shell to the shells of some of the abundant Cretaceous ammonoids and suggested that the argonaut shell evolved in the following way: Ancestral argonauts occupied empty ammonoid shells during the late Cretaceous. [Occupancy of molluscan shells by octopodids is common in the present day.] The octopod evolved glandular structures on the arms to repair the shell of the ammonoids after the latter had become extinct at the end of the Cretaceous. Eventually, the ammonoid shell was completely replaced by a secreted structure whose shape had been evolutionarily molded by the ammonoid shell. However, as pointed out by Young et al. (1998), a gap of about 40 million years exists between extinction of ammonoids and the earliest fossil record of an argonaut, and they suggest that the mold for the shell was from some other type of mollusc and that the resemblance to ammonoids is coincidental. The origin of the argonaut shell is a challenging problem and has important implications for understanding the relationships amoung groups of the Argonautoidea (Young, et al., 1998).
ImageThe male argonaut is a dwarf, about 10% of the length of the female. The entire third right arm is hectocotylized and carried in a special sac. At mating, the hectocotylus, which carries one large spermatophore, breaks out of its sac and then from the male body. The free hectocotylus invades, or is deposited in, the female's mantle cavity, where it remains viable and active for some time. The hectocotylus was first described as a worm parasitic on the female (Delle Chiaje, 1825).
ImageThe female lives in a thin, calcareous, laterally compressed shell secreted by its dorsal arms. The shell is paper-thin and the animal is commonly called the "paper nautilus." The latter part of the name comes from similarly-shaped shell of Nautilus. The shell of the pearly nautilus, however, is the true cephalopod shell (i.e., the homologue of the molluscan shell) and not a unique evolutionary innovation like the "shell" of Argonauta (Naef, 1921-23).
ImageArgonauts are pelagic in tropical and subtropical surface waters of all oceans and seas. Sometimes they are found in large swarms, but only rarely are they encountered nearshore. In the open ocean they are commonly found attached to jellyfish (David, 1965). While this unusual association between Argonauta spp. and jellyfish has long been known (Kramp, 1956; David, 1965) it was uninvestigated prior to the work of Heeger et al. (1992). The latter authors describe Argonauta astride the aboral (=exumbrellar) surface of a swimming jellyfish that it held with its lateral and ventral arms. Upon examination of the jellyfish they found about half of its aboral surface was damaged and large pieces of mesoglea were missing. Two holes, apparently bite marks were found in the center of this area and channels led from these holes into the gastral cavity of the jellyfish. They presumed the octopod used these channels to suck particles (food) from the gastral cavity. They also suggest that the association provided shelter or camouflage for the argonaut.
http://tolweb.org/Argonauta

fyrenwater

Postby fyrenwater » Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:37 pm UTC

Pi-chan, why do you keep using source links for such weird sites?
...It made more sense in my head.

3.14chan

Postby 3.14chan » Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:28 pm UTC

Tree of Life web project is a weird site?
http://tolweb.org/

Return to “News & Articles”