PETA likes bugs.

Seen something interesting in the news or on the intertubes? Discuss it here.

Moderators: Zamfir, Hawknc, Moderators General, Prelates

Woofsie

Re: PETA likes bugs.

Postby Woofsie » Fri Jun 19, 2009 7:25 pm UTC

And what, swatting flies is a much better way to avoid these diseases than using a flycatcher to put them outside?

setzer777
Good questions sometimes get stupid answers

Postby setzer777 » Fri Jun 19, 2009 7:52 pm UTC

natraj wrote:Which is fine, you can think that's crazy. But normally people jump on PETA for their ridiculous outlandish actions. This isn't a ridiculous outlandish action; people just are objecting to animal rights in principle.

Multiple have said that opposing the fly thing is opposing animal rights in general. But can't there be a middle ground? I mean if someone doesn't consider humans to have some special prominence over animals, but still makes a distinction (admittedly hard to make sometimes) between "probably sentient" and "probably not sentient" animals? If someone fights for humane treatment and rights for all sorts of mammals, but considers insects to lack enough of a brain to justify the same treatment, does that makes them opposed to animal rights in principle? Would it be better to call it "sentience" rights if you don't believe that non-sentient animals should have rights?
Meaux_Pas wrote:We're here to go above and beyond.

Too infinity
of being an arsehole

The Reaper

Postby The Reaper » Fri Jun 19, 2009 8:05 pm UTC

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/20 ... 131400.htm

Scientists Show Bacteria Can 'Learn' And Plan Ahead

Lets protect everything.

setzer777

Postby setzer777 » Fri Jun 19, 2009 9:28 pm UTC

The Reaper wrote:http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2009/06/090617131400.htm

Scientists Show Bacteria Can 'Learn' And Plan Ahead

Lets protect everything.

That's a bit of a stretch of the word "learn". It sounds like (because they say that over a month the bacteria "evolved" to change its response), that this is actually natural selection over many generations of bacteria that mimics (for the multi-generational group) the functionality of conditioned learning (for an individual animal with a sufficient nervous system). There is no indication that the bacteria are actually simulating their environment.

Too infinity
of being an arsehole

aleflamedyud
wants your cookies

Postby aleflamedyud » Fri Jun 19, 2009 9:31 pm UTC

Woofsie wrote:Any particular reason?

Because an animal as low as a fly has no intelligence, no reason, no displayed emotions, nothing that we would recognize as a sentient or sapient quality. That's my argument without having to read up on animal-rights movements to form a full critique of their philosophies.
"With kindness comes naïveté. Courage becomes foolhardiness. And dedication has no reward. If you can't accept any of that, you are not fit to be a graduate student."

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Fri Jun 19, 2009 9:37 pm UTC

Regardless of the level of sentience possessed by a fly, it's fucking buzzing around, spreading disease, and that's reason enough for me to squash it. I don't care if mosquito's were empathic Einsteins with a penchant for writing fine poetry, the fuckers sink their proboscis into my arm and the last thing they're going to see is a closeup of my palm. Same goes for PETA.
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

setzer777

Postby setzer777 » Fri Jun 19, 2009 9:43 pm UTC

Izawwlgood wrote:Regardless of the level of sentience possessed by a fly, it's fucking buzzing around, spreading disease, and that's reason enough for me to squash it. I don't care if mosquito's were empathic Einsteins with a penchant for writing fine poetry, the fuckers sink their proboscis into my arm and the last thing they're going to see is a closeup of my palm. Same goes for PETA.

Wait, really? You're saying that even if a fly was mentally identical to a human being you'd kill it for going around, making annoying noises, and spreading disease? Sounds like a lot of unsupervised little kids would fit that criteria too.

Too infinity
of being an arsehole

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Fri Jun 19, 2009 9:46 pm UTC

Izawwlgood wrote:the fuckers sink their proboscis into my arm
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

SummerGlauFan

Postby SummerGlauFan » Fri Jun 19, 2009 9:50 pm UTC

Izawwlgood wrote:Regardless of the level of sentience possessed by a fly, it's fucking buzzing around, spreading disease, and that's reason enough for me to squash it.

Sorry, couldn't help doing that, after your last post :)

EDIT: Minor spelling mistake.
Last edited by SummerGlauFan on Fri Jun 19, 2009 10:01 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
glasnt wrote:"As she raised her rifle against the creature, her hair fluttered beneath the red florescent lighting of the locked down building.

I knew from that moment that she was something special"

Outbreak, a tale of love and zombies.

In stores now.

The Reaper

Postby The Reaper » Fri Jun 19, 2009 9:51 pm UTC

setzer777 wrote:
Izawwlgood wrote:Regardless of the level of sentience possessed by a fly, it's fucking buzzing around, spreading disease, and that's reason enough for me to squash it. I don't care if mosquito's were empathic Einsteins with a penchant for writing fine poetry, the fuckers sink their proboscis into my arm and the last thing they're going to see is a closeup of my palm. Same goes for PETA.

Wait, really? You're saying that even if a fly was mentally identical to a human being you'd kill it for going around, making annoying noises, and spreading disease? Sounds like a lot of unsupervised little kids would fit that criteria too.

Oh the things I'd do in a world of Anarchy.

Duban

Postby Duban » Fri Jun 19, 2009 10:02 pm UTC

I honestly believe that when it was founded Peta was a resonable organization that just wanted to protect the enviroment and prevent inhumane treatment of animals. But the last decade or so has pretty much cemented their place as crazed lunatics.
It is not the gods I fear. No, It is those who claim to speak for them that concern me.

setzer777

Postby setzer777 » Fri Jun 19, 2009 11:21 pm UTC

Izawwlgood wrote:
Izawwlgood wrote:the fuckers sink their proboscis into my arm

Lol, what if the unsupervised, unhygienic kid bit you........and we lived in a world of anarchy?

Too infinity
of being an arsehole

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Fri Jun 19, 2009 11:35 pm UTC

Probably smack the kid and shout excitedly "Sweet jesus get off my arm you crazy fucker!"

This is going to spiral into a stupid direction; my point is the reaction to getting bit by a bug is to swat the bug. That the bug dies is secondary to the fact that the bug is no longer biting/sucking/stinging you.

On topic, I sometimes wonder if PETA is actually far more intelligent then we give them credit for. What if they aren't actually doing this to raise awareness of the plight of irritating insects, but instead, trying to plant a bug (heh) in the White House to garner blackmail money? Or wear down the president with so many banalities that all eyes are away from their diabolical underground lair made from the ground bones of baby seals and fueled by the mewing of starving kittens?

Dibley

Postby Dibley » Fri Jun 19, 2009 11:55 pm UTC

Izawwlgood wrote:diabolical underground lair made from the ground bones of baby seals and fueled by the mewing of starving kittens?

This sounds like Dwarf Fortress...

3.14chan

Postby 3.14chan » Sat Jun 20, 2009 2:00 am UTC

I still think that in scandalous groups like Greenpeace and Peta there is someone making money from all that or are just political tools.

You make sensacionalist propaganda, spread half truths and tells to a huge number of people what is good and what is bad.

Have you ever been in the Greenpeace forum? Every post need mod approval and many posts are denied just because they don't agree with what the user said, it's a brain wash forum.

Maybe because there are too much corruption in my country I became a little paranoic about this kind of thing, but radical groups never make sense...
"What haven't science done?"

Woofsie

Postby Woofsie » Sat Jun 20, 2009 2:20 pm UTC

3.14chan wrote:I still think that in scandalous groups like Greenpeace and Peta there is someone making money from all that or are just political tools.

You make sensacionalist propaganda, spread half truths and tells to a huge number of people what is good and what is bad.

Have you ever been in the Greenpeace forum? Every post need mod approval and many posts are denied just because they don't agree with what the user said, it's a brain wash forum.

Maybe because there are too much corruption in my country I became a little paranoic about this kind of thing, but radical groups never make sense...

It's called having an agenda. Also, I would imagine the Greenpeace forums get a massive number of trolls.

You know that the Suffragettes were also considered a radical group at the time, right? As were civil rights groups, gay rights groups etc.

EsotericWombat
Colorful Orator

Postby EsotericWombat » Sat Jun 20, 2009 4:33 pm UTC

The Temperance movement was considered radical, then had its views adopted into the Constitution, and then turned out to be responsible for an enormous wave of street crime and violent deaths. "x, y, and z were once considered radical" doesn't really demonstrate anything.

Ralith The Third
Don't Ask About His Nephews

Postby Ralith The Third » Sat Jun 20, 2009 4:39 pm UTC

Woofsie wrote:Y'see, this is just them being consistent in their beliefs. The entire premise of animal rights is that we should avoid killing or harming sentient animals

Since when are flies sentient?
Omni.

Jahoclave
sourmilk's moderator

Postby Jahoclave » Sat Jun 20, 2009 4:41 pm UTC

setzer777 wrote:Sounds like a lot of unsupervised little kids would fit that criteria too.

And that's a bad thing why? My efforts are only thwarted by those little brats beings so squirmy and agile and not all together that squishable.

Besides, doesn't PETA understand, that fly was a threat to national security. He was trying to vomit on and eat our president. If Obama didn't kill him the terrorist win!

Woofsie

Postby Woofsie » Sat Jun 20, 2009 5:43 pm UTC

EsotericWombat wrote:The Temperance movement was considered radical, then had its views adopted into the Constitution, and then turned out to be responsible for an enormous wave of street crime and violent deaths. "x, y, and z were once considered radical" doesn't really demonstrate anything.

Oh I agree. It's just that 3.14chan said radical groups never make sense, so I provided counter examples.

Ralith The Third wrote:
Woofsie wrote:Y'see, this is just them being consistent in their beliefs. The entire premise of animal rights is that we should avoid killing or harming sentient animals

Since when are flies sentient?

Woofsie, in the same post you just quoted wrote:
Now it's easy to say "that's stupid, it's just a fly", and sure, it is just a fly. But biologically speaking it has a brain and a nervous system, giving it at least rudimentary sentience.

3.14chan

Postby 3.14chan » Sat Jun 20, 2009 6:35 pm UTC

Woofsie wrote:Oh I agree. It's just that 3.14chan said radical groups never make sense, so I provided counter examples.

Yeah, I try to stop to use never and use other expressions like "usually don't"... but it is hard to never say never :mrgreen:
"What haven't science done?"

mr_pathetic

Postby mr_pathetic » Sun Jun 21, 2009 1:39 pm UTC

Jahoclave wrote:Besides, doesn't PETA understand, that fly was a threat to national security. He was trying to vomit on and eat our president. If Obama didn't kill him the terrorist win!

Hmmmm.... I wonder if said terrorist flies could help clean up congress a little bit.......

Indon

Postby Indon » Sun Jun 21, 2009 2:31 pm UTC

Hey, Colbert covered this story too.
So, I like talking. So if you want to talk about something with me, feel free to send me a PM.

My blog, now rarely updated.

LordHuffnPuff

Obama swats fly, PETA outraged

Postby LordHuffnPuff » Sun Jun 21, 2009 4:50 pm UTC

Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yTpiwngOg7I

Article: http://ca.news.yahoo.com/s/capress/0906 ... dead_fly_3

WASHINGTON - The group People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals wants the flyswatter in chief to try taking a more humane attitude the next time he's bedeviled by a fly in the White House.

PETA is sending President Barack Obama a Katcha Bug Humane Bug Catcher, a device that allows users to trap a house fly and then release it outside.

"We support compassion even for the most curious, smallest and least sympathetic animals," PETA spokesman Bruce Friedrich said Wednesday. "We believe that people, where they can be compassionate, should be, for all animals."

During an interview for CNBC at the White House on Tuesday, a fly intruded on Obama's conversation with correspondent John Harwood.

"Get out of here," the president told the pesky insect. When it didn't, he waited for the fly to settle, put his hand up and then smacked it dead.

"Now, where were we?" Obama asked Harwood. Then he added: "That was pretty impressive, wasn't it? I got the sucker."

Friedrich said that PETA was pleased with Obama's voting record in the Senate on behalf of animal rights and noted that he has been outspoken against animal abuses.

Still, "swatting a fly on TV indicates he's not perfect," Friedrich said, "and we're happy to say that we wish he hadn't."

Deputy press secretary Josh Earnest said the White House has no comment on the matter.

This was the second repost of this topic. Seriously. The search function is a wonderful tool, as is reading the thread titles on the first page of the forum. Merged.

~CM

Babam
the Nearly Deleted

Re: Obama swats fly, PETA outraged

Postby Babam » Sun Jun 21, 2009 4:55 pm UTC

What is this I don't even.
Spoiler:
crucialityfactor wrote:I KNEW he could club bitches!

SecondTalon wrote:Reality - More fucked up than Photoshop.

s/notwittysig/wittysig

Vieto

Postby Vieto » Sun Jun 21, 2009 5:14 pm UTC

I think we should take PETA on a camping trip, somewhere in the wilderness, for a week. I know many great places here in Canada.
a.k.a. Cazador

General_Norris

Postby General_Norris » Sun Jun 21, 2009 5:36 pm UTC

There's already a thread called "PETA likes bugs"

AndyTheQuizzer

Postby AndyTheQuizzer » Sun Jun 21, 2009 5:43 pm UTC

I didn't think PETA could get any more nutty; I guess I was wrong.

Internetmeme

Postby Internetmeme » Sun Jun 21, 2009 8:18 pm UTC

Next time you make a thread, use the "Search" button. More often than not it has already been posted, especially if the story happened more than 3 days before.

Leave the moderating for the folks with colored names, please.

~CM
Spoiler:

Return to “News & Articles”