PETA likes bugs.

Seen something interesting in the news or on the intertubes? Discuss it here.

Moderators: Zamfir, Hawknc, Moderators General, Prelates

The Reaper

PETA likes bugs.

Postby The Reaper » Thu Jun 18, 2009 4:03 pm UTC

http://hamptonroads.com.nyud.net/2009/0 ... watted-fly
Norfolk-based group People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals wants the flyswatter-in-chief to try taking a more humane attitude the next time he's bedeviled by a fly in the White House.

PETA is sending President Barack Obama a Katcha Bug Humane Bug Catcher, a device that allows users to trap a house fly and then release it outside.

"We support compassion even for the most curious, smallest and least sympathetic animals," PETA spokesman Bruce Friedrich said Wednesday. "We believe that people, where they can be compassionate, should be, for all animals."

During an interview for CNBC at the White House on Tuesday, a fly intruded on Obama's conversation with correspondent John Harwood.

"Get out of here," the president told the pesky insect. When it didn't, he waited for the fly to settle, put his hand up and then smacked it dead.

"Now, where were we?" Obama asked Harwood. Then he added: "That was pretty impressive, wasn't it? I got the sucker."

Friedrich said that PETA was pleased with Obama's voting record in the Senate on behalf of animal rights and noted that he has been outspoken against animal abuses.

Still, "swatting a fly on TV indicates he's not perfect," Friedrich said, "and we're happy to say that we wish he hadn't."

Deputy press secretary Josh Earnest said the White House has no comment on the matter.
PETA: hypocrites to new levels, every day.

Chen

Re: PETA likes bugs.

Postby Chen » Thu Jun 18, 2009 4:10 pm UTC

Wait how is that hypocritical? Isn't this their standard crazy stance?

The Reaper

Postby The Reaper » Thu Jun 18, 2009 4:12 pm UTC

Chen wrote:Wait how is that hypocritical? Isn't this their standard crazy stance?

It is. But expecting anyone to be perfect when they themselves aren't is.

And I'm sure they'd kill a pest bug too. I highly doubt they wouldn't swat mosquitos or spray fire ants and termites.

Aikanaro

Postby Aikanaro » Thu Jun 18, 2009 4:16 pm UTC

Why do I suddenly have the urge to mail PETA members containers full of live bullet ants? :twisted:
Dear xkcd,

On behalf of my religion, I'm sorry so many of us do dumb shit. Please forgive us.

Love, Aikanaro.

The Reaper

Postby The Reaper » Thu Jun 18, 2009 4:23 pm UTC

Aikanaro wrote:Why do I suddenly have the urge to mail PETA members containers full of live bullet ants? :twisted:

"Please adopt Billy, I cannot afford to raise him anymore"

Velict

Postby Velict » Thu Jun 18, 2009 4:36 pm UTC

This article feels like it should be in The Onion; the fact that it is real news just lowers my impression of PETA.

General_Norris

Postby General_Norris » Thu Jun 18, 2009 4:40 pm UTC

I wonder how they can sleep when thousands of animals are killing each other for food :lol:

Velict

Postby Velict » Thu Jun 18, 2009 4:48 pm UTC

General_Norris wrote:I wonder how they can sleep when thousands of animals are killing each other for food :¡This cheese is burning me!:

The only animal that is forbidden to partake in omnivorous behavior is homo sapiens.

videogamesizzle

Postby videogamesizzle » Thu Jun 18, 2009 5:07 pm UTC

It...it was a fly...

Aikanaro wrote:Why do I suddenly have the urge to mail PETA members containers full of live bullet ants? :twisted:
This should be done.
Look at me still talking when there's SCIENCE to do!
Silvyr wrote:I fucking love cocaine. I wish I could buy it somewhere...

Chen

Postby Chen » Thu Jun 18, 2009 5:08 pm UTC

Velict wrote:The only animal that is forbidden to partake in omnivorous behavior is homo sapiens.

I'm pretty sure the logic here is that we don't NEED to kill other animals to survive whereas most other animals have no real alternative.

crowey
That's DOCTOR Crowey, to you

Postby crowey » Thu Jun 18, 2009 5:58 pm UTC

I wonder how PETA feel about de-fleaing or de-worming pets.... or combing out headlice, or squishing a mosquito that is biting me....

General_Norris

Postby General_Norris » Thu Jun 18, 2009 6:01 pm UTC

Or vaccines or virus...

Woofsie

Postby Woofsie » Thu Jun 18, 2009 6:02 pm UTC

Okay, normally PETA piss me the hell off. I've criticized them many times on this forum for their incredibly retarded campaigns.

But you know what? I approve of this.

Y'see, this is just them being consistent in their beliefs. The entire premise of animal rights is that we should avoid killing or harming sentient animals whenever possible. In this case, it is completely unnecessary to swat a fly, and it would be just as easy to take it outside. Apparently it would be even easier using PETA's new gizmo.

Now it's easy to say "that's stupid, it's just a fly", and sure, it is just a fly. But biologically speaking it has a brain and a nervous system, giving it at least rudimentary sentience. So why would you kill it when you don't have to? And yes, anyone interested in animal rights would avoid killing an insect at all costs; anything else would be hypocritical.

There are plenty of things to criticize PETA about, but this is not one of them.

Will
There are about a million things I can do from behind

Postby Will » Thu Jun 18, 2009 6:07 pm UTC

Actually, I'm pretty okay with criticizing them over this. Yeah, they're being internally consistent with their beliefs. I can still criticize their beliefs for being stupid, regardless of how internally consistent they are.
Meaux_Pas: Is it fucking Taint Sunday or something?
liza: Screw y'all, I'm going to the moon

General_Norris

Postby General_Norris » Thu Jun 18, 2009 6:09 pm UTC

^Well, in that sense you're right. I agree (With woofsie)

EDITED
Last edited by General_Norris on Thu Jun 18, 2009 6:24 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Woofsie

Postby Woofsie » Thu Jun 18, 2009 6:21 pm UTC

Will wrote:Actually, I'm pretty okay with criticizing them over this. Yeah, they're being internally consistent with their beliefs. I can still criticize their beliefs for being stupid, regardless of how internally consistent they are.

Fair enough, but then what you're doing is critiquing basic animal rights philosophy and I'm sure there's a thread in SB for just that.

What I'm wondering is why this is considered newsworthy. Yeah PETA don't like bugs being killed. Zomg. The point is that this is actually one of the most conservative and non-crazy things they've done in a while. You may think that everything any animal rights group does is crazy but.. see my previous comment about SB threads

frezik

Postby frezik » Thu Jun 18, 2009 6:25 pm UTC

I tend to put insects in a peculiar place compared to most animals. Their entire biology is heavily based on the idea that the individual does not matter. Hive species often deliberately sacrifice individuals in certain situations for the good of the hive. Other species have mating practices that kill one or both parents in the process. Even those that don't rarely survive much longer than a single mating session. Their strategy is to simply outbreed everything else in existence.

Thus, my threshold for murderous revenge is much lower for insects than for anything else. I wouldn't (seriously) suggest killing a small yappy dog, but I'll gladly squish a fly for buzzing in my ear.
I do not agree with the beer you drink, but will defend to the death your right to drink it

EsotericWombat
Colorful Orator

Postby EsotericWombat » Thu Jun 18, 2009 6:36 pm UTC

I hate PETA, but here I'm not too bothered. They've done far, far worse.

Especially seeing as they took pains to recognize Obama's support for animal abuse legislation, offered a reasonable alternative, and were relatively pleasant about it.

I mean, it's a dumb thing to get pissy over, and this is still the organization that euthanizes most of the animals that it "rescues," but the different tone is refreshing

The Reaper

Postby The Reaper » Thu Jun 18, 2009 6:38 pm UTC

This is the first I've heard about PETA caring about insects at all.

Clumpy

Postby Clumpy » Thu Jun 18, 2009 6:49 pm UTC

Isn't this the group that euthanized thousands of animals without homes and stored their corpses in a giant freezer?

fyrenwater

Postby fyrenwater » Thu Jun 18, 2009 8:07 pm UTC

Clumpy wrote:Isn't this the group that euthanized thousands of animals without homes and stored their corpses in a giant freezer?

No no, they loaded the corpses into vans, drove to alleys, then threw them into dumpsters.

I wish PETA would stop being so absurd or just STFU. Probably the latter, 'cause the former ain't happening this century.
...It made more sense in my head.

The Reaper

Postby The Reaper » Thu Jun 18, 2009 8:12 pm UTC

fyrenwater wrote:
Clumpy wrote:Isn't this the group that euthanized thousands of animals without homes and stored their corpses in a giant freezer?

No no, they loaded the corpses into vans, drove to alleys, then threw them into dumpsters.

I wish PETA would stop being so absurd or just STFU. Probably the latter, 'cause the former ain't happening this century.

The best part about that article isn't mentioned. It's mentioned in other news references about PETA here in the forums though. The dumpsters were the dumpsters of fast chinese food places. Shady shady shady.

3.14chan

Postby 3.14chan » Thu Jun 18, 2009 8:32 pm UTC

I wonder how thay plan to avoid bugs from eating crops.

Use a natural predator is the same as to release a pack of wolves in a school in their standarts.
"What haven't science done?"

Vanguard

Postby Vanguard » Thu Jun 18, 2009 8:34 pm UTC

I am shamed to say, they're based in my area Q.Q

General_Norris

Postby General_Norris » Thu Jun 18, 2009 8:36 pm UTC

fyrenwater wrote:

Oh. my. fucking. god.

That's all I have to say.

SummerGlauFan

Postby SummerGlauFan » Thu Jun 18, 2009 9:32 pm UTC

Sure, this is probably the most sensible thing they've said all year, and sure, I hate killing anything. Still, PETA taints the perceptions of environmentalists and (rational) animal rights supporters. I couldn't tell you how often I mentioned I support treating animals fairly and with respect, and someone looks at me and says "You're not one of those PETA nutjobs are you?"
glasnt wrote:"As she raised her rifle against the creature, her hair fluttered beneath the red florescent lighting of the locked down building.

I knew from that moment that she was something special"

Outbreak, a tale of love and zombies.

In stores now.

The Reaper

Postby The Reaper » Thu Jun 18, 2009 9:36 pm UTC

SummerGlauFan wrote:Sure, this is probably the most sensible thing they've said all year, and sure, I hate killing anything. Still, PETA taints the perceptions of environmentalists and (rational) animal rights supporters. I couldn't tell you how often I mentioned I support treating animals fairly and with respect, and someone looks at me and says "You're not one of those PETA nutjobs are you?"

At least they asked. :3 Some people just assume.

mr_pathetic

Too bad we can't swat PETA.

Postby mr_pathetic » Fri Jun 19, 2009 12:04 am UTC

Not only is this guy throwing money away at every corupt company that comes along.... he's also a murderer. :wink:

WASHINGTON - The group People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals wants the flyswatter in chief to try taking a more humane attitude the next time he's bedeviled by a fly in the White House.

http://ow.ly/eRNQ

Merged with existing thread. C'mon now -- it wasn't even an old one. It's still active.

~CM

'; DROP DATABASE;--

Re: Too bad we can't swat PETA.

Postby '; DROP DATABASE;-- » Fri Jun 19, 2009 12:12 am UTC

Yeah, I just came here to post the same story. Obama's terrible, he killed a fly!

I wonder when they're going to start trying to ban antibacterial products (think of the poor germs!) and raising awareness for all the bugs people step on when they walk outside. :roll:
poxic wrote:You suck. And simultaneously rock. I think you've invented a new state of being.

Gelsamel
Lame and emo

Postby Gelsamel » Fri Jun 19, 2009 12:58 am UTC

crowey wrote:I wonder how PETA feel about de-fleaing or de-worming pets.... or combing out headlice, or squishing a mosquito that is biting me....

PETA does not support the use of animals as pets.

Anyway this is hypocritical because PETA puts down hundreds/thousands of animals each year while lambasting other shelters for doing the same.
"Give up here?"
- > No
"Do you accept defeat?"
- > No
"Do you think games are silly little things?"
- > No
"Is it all pointless?"
- > No
"Do you admit there is no meaning to this world?"
- > No

Durandal

Postby Durandal » Fri Jun 19, 2009 1:45 am UTC

Gelsamel wrote:PETA does not support the use of animals as pets.

Wait... what?

WHAT THE FUCK DO THEY WANT US TO DO WITH THEM?!

TheGrammarBolshevik
Location: Going to and fro in the earth, and walking up and down in it.

Postby TheGrammarBolshevik » Fri Jun 19, 2009 2:03 am UTC

Eh?
Nothing rhymes with orange,
Not even sporange.

sje46

Postby sje46 » Fri Jun 19, 2009 8:03 am UTC

The Reaper wrote:
Chen wrote:Wait how is that hypocritical? Isn't this their standard crazy stance?

It is. But expecting anyone to be perfect when they themselves aren't is.

And I'm sure they'd kill a pest bug too. I highly doubt they wouldn't swat mosquitos or spray fire ants and termites.

Who? Every single one of them? Of course some will, and some won't.
I'm a carnivore, and I haven't voluntarily killed a fly in about four years. It's not that hard to do.
And are you saying that the organization is expecting everyone to be perfect? No. They are encouraging everyone to be better. Just like how priests encouraging other people to be sinless even though they, by their own admission, sin as well.
From the peta sblog about the incident"
n a nutshell, our position is this: He isn't the Buddha, he's a human being, and human beings have a long way to go before they think before they act.

Hardly a crazy stance. They have a different morality than you, and I'm sure that most of them do not feel it is right to impose on what you choose to do. They are not forbidding you to eat meat. They have demonstrations, but that is hardly infringing on your rights. Refusing to harm living things is not and never will be a crazy stance. IF they are, then all Jainists are crazy too.
Why? They are just trying to help animals in their own inefficient way.
Velict wrote:This article feels like it should be in The Onion; the fact that it is real news just lowers my impression of PETA.
Why? They think it is wrong to kill a fly unnecessarily, so they tried to quietly encourage Obama to not hurt flies. It is not hypocritical or out of hand at all. It is actually quite noble.
Chen wrote:
Velict wrote:The only animal that is forbidden to partake in omnivorous behavior is homo sapiens.

I'm pretty sure the logic here is that we don't NEED to kill other animals to survive whereas most other animals have no real alternative.
Yes, thank you. Everyone else is just speaking in empty rhetoric, trying to make them seem stupid while ignoring their real reasons.
crowey wrote:I wonder how PETA feel about de-fleaing or de-worming pets.... or combing out headlice, or squishing a mosquito that is biting me....
They are pro the first two, and you can just shoo the mosquito away. PETA does not care about bacteria, which do not feel pain or have consciousness.
Will wrote:Actually, I'm pretty okay with criticizing them over this. Yeah, they're being internally consistent with their beliefs. I can still criticize their beliefs for being stupid, regardless of how internally consistent they are.
What is stupid about their beliefs? There is no logical fallacy. They have a moralitythat is simply different from yours and does not inherently infringe on yours.
EsotericWombat wrote:I mean, it's a dumb thing to get pissy over
They are getting pissy? Source for this. They sent a fly catcher to the president, and that is all. They were very polite about it too.
Gelsamel wrote:Anyway this is hypocritical because PETA puts down hundreds/thousands of animals each year while lambasting other shelters for doing the same.
Not really hypocritical, just incredible inefficient and unlucky. They get the worst cases, I hear.
Unless they have been domesticated. They don't want poodles being killed in the wilderness or animals being put to sleep at the pound because no one wants them.
They do want people to accept animals only from shelters.
General_Norris: Taking pride in your nation is taking pride in the division of humanity.
Pirate.Bondage: Let's get married. Right now.

Gelsamel
Lame and emo

Postby Gelsamel » Fri Jun 19, 2009 10:14 am UTC

sje46 wrote:
Gelsamel wrote:Anyway this is hypocritical because PETA puts down hundreds/thousands of animals each year while lambasting other shelters for doing the same.
Not really hypocritical, just incredible inefficient and unlucky. They get the worst cases, I hear.

Even if they did (which I doubt), so? How does that stop it being hypocritical for blaming shelters and RSPCA type organisations for doing EXACTLY what they do.
"Give up here?"
- > No
"Do you accept defeat?"
- > No
"Do you think games are silly little things?"
- > No
"Is it all pointless?"
- > No
"Do you admit there is no meaning to this world?"
- > No

3.14chan

Postby 3.14chan » Fri Jun 19, 2009 11:56 am UTC

sje46 wrote:PETA does not care about bacteria, which do not feel pain or have consciousness

According to who?
I could say that a fly doesn't fell pain or have consciousness (at least not the way that we do), another person could say that even vegetals can fell pain.

Also, PETA does not care about mites (we kill them all the time just by breathing, taking bath, washing clothes...) We could use masks, bath less and avoid cleaning our house to reduce mite deaths.

They only care about animals that they see, they don't care about animals killed by a combine harvester every crop (yeah, animals died for your vegetables too)

a cute mite -^_^- (much better than a sea kitten)
Spoiler:
[img]combine%20harvester[/img]

Also they "save" a lot of animals from that were going to be killed because shelters can't keep an infinite amount of animals. Since they can't keep them too they kill the animals and say that the others doing it are horrible.

They would save more animals if they just adopted the ones that they could take care instead of "save" thousands of animals that were going to be killed and kill them because they can't keep them all.

PETA believes that “even animal research that is carried out for ‘medical purposes’ tends to be irrelevant to human health" Despite this claim, former PETA Vice President, Mary-Beth Sweetland, is a diabetic who injects herself daily with insulin, a treatment tested and perfected in animals.

Many times they seem to value more the life of dozen lab rats than the thousands of humans lifes that would be saved by some research.

I think that someone must be taking advantage of all this for its own purposes...

PETA received donations from the public of over $25 million for the year ending July 31, 2005, according to the group's audited financial statement. Nearly 85 percent of its operating budget was spent directly on its programs; 10.83 percent on fundraising efforts; and 4.18 percent on management and general operations. Regarding its employees, 53 percent earned between $14,560 and $27,999; 32 percent between $28,000 and $38,499; and 15 percent over $38,500. Ingrid Newkirk earned $32,000 from her PETA position during that year.

I'm not against ethical treatment of animals but every radical group are very suspect, be it political, religious or whatever.
"What haven't science done?"

The Reaper

Postby The Reaper » Fri Jun 19, 2009 4:57 pm UTC

sje46 wrote:I'm a carnivore, and I haven't voluntarily killed a fly in about four years. It's not that hard to do.

I highly doubt you're an actual carnivore. More than likely you're like me, a highly carnivorous omnivore.

sje46 wrote:
Hardly a crazy stance. They have a different morality than you, and I'm sure that most of them do not feel it is right to impose on what you choose to do. They are not forbidding you to eat meat.
They're forbidding us from eating anything that comes from animals that aren't humans. Appearently that now includes insects. If you can't judge an organization based on the main constituent of its members and by the actions that they do, what can you judge an organization by?

natraj

Postby natraj » Fri Jun 19, 2009 5:13 pm UTC

The Reaper wrote:
sje46 wrote:
Hardly a crazy stance. They have a different morality than you, and I'm sure that most of them do not feel it is right to impose on what you choose to do. They are not forbidding you to eat meat.
They're forbidding us from eating anything that comes from animals that aren't humans. Appearently that now includes insects. If you can't judge an organization based on the main constituent of its members and by the actions that they do, what can you judge an organization by?

I think the point is that in this particular instance, what they did was not actually very crazy in light of what their ethics are. They don't believe in any unnecessary killing of animals (and insects are animals), and so they wrote a letter (which was actually rather restrained and polite) and sent a flytrap (which is a way of managing unwanted pest problem without killing them) -- people are jumping on it because it is PETA and everyone hates PETA because PETA is crazy, but this particular instance is not an example of that.

And since this particular instance is not an example of crazy behavior to promote their ethics, I believe the point is:

everyone needs to be honest about what they think is crazy, which, in this example, is not actually PETA, but anyone at all who is an animal liberationist.

Which is fine, you can think that's crazy. But normally people jump on PETA for their ridiculous outlandish actions. This isn't a ridiculous outlandish action; people just are objecting to animal rights in principle.
You want to know the future, love? Then wait:
I'll answer your impatient questions. Still --
They'll call it chance, or luck, or call it Fate,
The cards and stars that tumble as they will.

aleflamedyud
wants your cookies

Postby aleflamedyud » Fri Jun 19, 2009 5:52 pm UTC

Yeah, well when it comes to flies "animal" liberation is bloody stupid.
"With kindness comes naïveté. Courage becomes foolhardiness. And dedication has no reward. If you can't accept any of that, you are not fit to be a graduate student."

Woofsie

Postby Woofsie » Fri Jun 19, 2009 6:35 pm UTC

Any particular reason?

The Reaper

Postby The Reaper » Fri Jun 19, 2009 6:50 pm UTC

Woofsie wrote:Any particular reason?

http://ohioline.osu.edu/hyg-fact/2000/2111.html

House flies may spread diseases such as conjunctivitis, poliomyelitis, typhoid fever, tuberculosis, anthrax, leprosy, cholera, diarrhea and dysentery. They may serve as intermediate hosts for parasitic tapeworms on poultry or parasitic roundworms on horses

Return to “News & Articles”