AT&T censors internet

Seen something interesting in the news or on the intertubes? Discuss it here.

Moderators: Zamfir, Hawknc, Moderators General, Prelates

i

Re: AT&T censors internet

Postby i » Mon Jul 27, 2009 5:59 pm UTC

hahahahah!
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,534941,00.html

Feared Basement Dwellers Call Off Attack

Oculus Vespertilionis

Postby Oculus Vespertilionis » Mon Jul 27, 2009 6:04 pm UTC

I think the free market answer here is that, if people have an issue with ISPs blocking sites, then they'll bring their business to an ISP that promises not to do that.
-OcV
You do what you can to make relationships and to respect yourself and others. Everything else is bookkeeping.

The Reaper

Postby The Reaper » Mon Jul 27, 2009 6:05 pm UTC

inb4 channer with a shovel and some lock cutters. bye bye fiber line.

fjafjan
THE fjafjan

Postby fjafjan » Mon Jul 27, 2009 7:28 pm UTC

1 4Chan are hardly the best hackers out there, au contraire mostly script kids.

2 It wasn't censorship.
//Yepp, THE fjafjan (who's THE fjafjan?)
Liza wrote:Fjafjan, your hair is so lovely that I want to go to Sweden, collect the bit you cut off in your latest haircut and keep it in my room, and smell it. And eventually use it to complete my shrine dedicated to you.

Xaldibik

Postby Xaldibik » Mon Jul 27, 2009 7:42 pm UTC

AT&T's article/response after they ended the block on img.4chan.org - http://www.att.com/gen/press-room?pid=4 ... leid=26970

Beginning Friday, an AT&T customer was impacted by a denial-of-service attack stemming from IP addresses connected to img.4chan.org. To prevent this attack from disrupting service for the impacted AT&T customer, and to prevent the attack from spreading to impact our other customers, AT&T temporarily blocked access to the IP addresses in question for our customers. This action was in no way related to the content at img.4chan.org; our focus was on protecting our customers from malicious traffic.

Overnight Sunday, after we determined the denial-of-service threat no longer existed, AT&T removed the block on the IP addresses in question. We will continue to monitor for denial-of-service activity and any malicious traffic to protect our customers.

Moot, the owner of 4chan, called the block a mistake and a poorly executed response to the situation at - http://status.4chan.org/

In the end, no censorship, though I agree with Moot that it was a mistake, and I believe it was rather dumb on AT&T's part to block access to the site for all of their users, especially before contacting the owner of the site. It's kind of annoying to see such harsh action taken with absolutely no notification to the owner of the site, or anyone else for that matter.

Split Phallus Boil

Postby Split Phallus Boil » Mon Jul 27, 2009 8:18 pm UTC

Why do they complain about AT&T "Censoring them", when in reality 4chan censors their users.

For kicks and giggles I went on there one time, posting something brilliant and insightful, and got instabanned.
A strange silence permeates the room during the 4th period Algebra 2/Trig final. The teacher walks out of the room. A lone rebel pipes up:
"Penis. Haha. Yeah, penis."
Unrestrained laughter ensues.

Oculus Vespertilionis

Postby Oculus Vespertilionis » Mon Jul 27, 2009 8:51 pm UTC

IMO, ISP censorship =/= forum censorship.
-OcV
You do what you can to make relationships and to respect yourself and others. Everything else is bookkeeping.

Amnesiasoft

Postby Amnesiasoft » Mon Jul 27, 2009 8:59 pm UTC

Oculus Vespertilionis wrote:I think the free market answer here is that, if people have an issue with ISPs blocking sites, then they'll bring their business to an ISP that promises not to do that.
-OcV

Problem: Telecommunications is hardly a free market.

Oculus Vespertilionis

Postby Oculus Vespertilionis » Mon Jul 27, 2009 9:06 pm UTC

Are you saying that there are government controls in place that limit the field of ISP competition?
-OcV

Rysto

Postby Rysto » Mon Jul 27, 2009 9:09 pm UTC

Oculus Vespertilionis wrote:Are you saying that there are government controls in place that limit the field of ISP competition?
-OcV

Even absent such controls, the barriers to entry to starting an ISP are huge.

sje46

Postby sje46 » Mon Jul 27, 2009 9:14 pm UTC

Rysto wrote:
Oculus Vespertilionis wrote:Are you saying that there are government controls in place that limit the field of ISP competition?
-OcV

Even absent such controls, the barriers to entry to starting an ISP are huge.

Yeah, it's probably similar to graduating from college and deciding to start your own airline.
General_Norris: Taking pride in your nation is taking pride in the division of humanity.
Pirate.Bondage: Let's get married. Right now.

Sero

Postby Sero » Mon Jul 27, 2009 9:16 pm UTC

Indeed. Oculus, for the free-market safeguard against censorship to be practical, there must be a free market, without barriers to the consumer as to their selection of providers. This is not the case. There are two ISPs in my area. That's hardly a free market. In this day and age, the internet, is, effectively, a utility, with all the burdens of expensive infrastructure to put into place to enter the market, and all the limited choice for the consumer.
Princess Marzipan wrote:Dear God, we seriously just went and dug up CITATIONS for TORTURE being a WAR CRIME.

We have been fucking TROLLED, dear readers.

fjafjan
THE fjafjan

Postby fjafjan » Mon Jul 27, 2009 9:45 pm UTC

Uhm, there is a free market, but it's the kind of service where a free market will not work well, much like roads, ie Utility. Having two, not to mention eight or thirteen, sets of cables that lead to your house is terrible inefficient if you're only going to be using one.
//Yepp, THE fjafjan (who's THE fjafjan?)
Liza wrote:Fjafjan, your hair is so lovely that I want to go to Sweden, collect the bit you cut off in your latest haircut and keep it in my room, and smell it. And eventually use it to complete my shrine dedicated to you.

scikidus

Postby scikidus » Mon Jul 27, 2009 10:04 pm UTC

Acts do not need to be intentional in order to be influential. I agree that it was a mistake, but the web's going to be on high tension for net neutrality violations from here on out.
Happy hollandaise!

"The universe is a figment of its own imagination" -Douglas Adams

Babam
the Nearly Deleted

Postby Babam » Mon Jul 27, 2009 11:29 pm UTC

Split Phallus Boil wrote:Why do they complain about AT&T "Censoring them", when in reality 4chan censors their users.

For kicks and giggles I went on there one time, posting something brilliant and insightful, and got instabanned.

It depends on what board you posted in, if you post in /b/ you can get banned, for ANYTHING. While the rule of no rules applies to users on /b/ as well, it also applies to the mods.
Spoiler:
crucialityfactor wrote:I KNEW he could club bitches!

SecondTalon wrote:Reality - More fucked up than Photoshop.

s/notwittysig/wittysig

Kaiyas

Postby Kaiyas » Tue Jul 28, 2009 2:26 am UTC

fjafjan wrote:Uhm, there is a free market, but it's the kind of service where a free market will not work well, much like roads, ie Utility. Having two, not to mention eight or thirteen, sets of cables that lead to your house is terrible inefficient if you're only going to be using one.

But in reality, most only have the one or two sets of cable, which is not much choice in any case.
clintonius wrote:This place is like mental masturbation

Mavas

Postby Mavas » Tue Jul 28, 2009 2:33 am UTC

Damn, 4chan is scary. It's like all the evil of the internet is gathered into that one Godless place. I actually think they'll do something to AT&T. Because they're hardcore like that... :l
I love you.

Walter.Horvath

Postby Walter.Horvath » Tue Jul 28, 2009 2:42 am UTC

Good lord, something happens and instantly the children who inhabit the site cry malicious intent.

It is one thing to be protective of your rights (some of which are crossed on this site), but paranoia like this stems only from those guilty!

I feel sorry for those who harbor good intent in their dealings there.

Return to “News & Articles”