Canadorassic Park

Seen something interesting in the news or on the intertubes? Discuss it here.

Moderators: Hawknc, Zamfir, Prelates, Moderators General

Canadorassic Park

Postby The Reaper » Wed Aug 26, 2009 12:06 am UTC

http://www.physorg.com/news170426405.html
After years spent hunting for the buried remains of prehistoric animals, a Canadian paleontologist now plans to manipulate chicken embryos to show he can create a dinosaur.

Hans Larsson, the Canada Research Chair in Macro Evolution at Montreal's McGill University, said he aims to develop dinosaur traits that disappeared millions of years ago in birds.

Larsson believes by flipping certain genetic levers during a chicken embryo's development, he can reproduce the dinosaur anatomy, he told AFP in an interview.

Though still in its infancy, the research could eventually lead to hatching live prehistoric animals, but Larsson said there are no plans for that now, for ethical and practical reasons -- a dinosaur hatchery is "too large an enterprise."

"It's a demonstration of evolution," said Larsson, who has studied bird evolution for the last 10 years.

"If I can demonstrate clearly that the potential for dinosaur anatomical development exists in birds, then it again proves that birds are direct descendants of dinosaurs."

The research is funded by the Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council of Canada, the Canada Research Chairs program and National Geographic.

The idea for the project, Larsson said, came about during discussions with renowned American paleontologist Jack Horner, who served as technical advisor for the Jurassic Park films.

Horner recently wrote a book entitled "How to Build A Dinosaur," in which he refers to the embryo experiment as part of a quest to create a "chickenosaurus."

Larsson's team has previously worked to uncover prehistoric animal remains, including eight unknown species of dinosaurs and five new types of crocodile in Niger. He also recently uncovered the remains of a new carnivorous dinosaur in Argentina.
Yay, evolution! Yay, dinosaurs! Yay, releasing dinosaurs into the Canadian wilderness! ALL HAIL OUR NEW CHICKEN OVERLORDS!
The Reaper

Re: Canadorassic Park

Postby Sharlos » Wed Aug 26, 2009 12:11 am UTC

Go ahead, as long as they stay on the American continents.
Sharlos

Postby The Reaper » Wed Aug 26, 2009 12:16 am UTC

Sharlos wrote:Go ahead, as long as they stay on the American continents.

Till they get taken to europe as "cute pets"
The Reaper

Postby Bright Shadows » Wed Aug 26, 2009 12:26 am UTC

Yay, my dream of taking over the world with velociraptors is one step closer to completion!

I mean, boo chicken embryo abuse!
Bright Shadows

Postby Omegaton » Wed Aug 26, 2009 1:40 am UTC

I saw a documentary about this on discovery channel I think a year and a half ago. I'm all for science, but this thing is getting way overblown. They aren't REALLY making a dinosaur, they're making a mutated chicken that looks superficially like a dinosaur.
Omegaton

Postby gametaku » Wed Aug 26, 2009 1:41 am UTC

The Reaper wrote:http://www.physorg.com/news170426405.html

Though still in its infancy, the research could eventually lead to hatching live prehistoric animals, but Larsson said there are no plans for that now, for ethical and practical reasons -- a dinosaur hatchery is "too large an enterprise."
Yay, evolution! Yay, dinosaurs! Yay, releasing dinosaurs into the Canadian wilderness! ALL HAIL OUR NEW CHICKEN OVERLORDS!

Will it taste like chicken though?
gametaku

Postby Delass » Wed Aug 26, 2009 1:57 am UTC

Omegaton wrote:I saw a documentary about this on discovery channel I think a year and a half ago. I'm all for science, but this thing is getting way overblown. They aren't REALLY making a dinosaur, they're making a mutated chicken that looks superficially like a dinosaur.

Could you elaborate on the difference? Isn't a chicken just a dinosaur after many mutations? I don't think they could create a specific species of dinosaur, just a new species that is similar to dinosaurs? I wonder if their planned creature could breed fertile offspring with chickens.
Delass

Postby BigBoss » Wed Aug 26, 2009 2:02 am UTC

Omegaton wrote:I saw a documentary about this on discovery channel I think a year and a half ago. I'm all for science, but this thing is getting way overblown. They aren't REALLY making a dinosaur, they're making a mutated chicken that looks superficially like a dinosaur.

I saw this too. But I thought they were also going to mutate an emu.
You don't give up hope just because something's hopeless. You cover up your ears, and talk really loud.

Tampons could be used to stop a nosebleed! - Tillian
BigBoss

Postby Omegaton » Wed Aug 26, 2009 4:40 am UTC

Delass wrote:

Could you elaborate on the difference? Isn't a chicken just a dinosaur after many mutations? I don't think they could create a specific species of dinosaur, just a new species that is similar to dinosaurs? I wonder if their planned creature could breed fertile offspring with chickens.

Okay, I'll admit you have me there with the wording, but I still maintain that their animal will not be fundamentally different from a chicken other than appearance. If I understand their intentions correctly, the created animal will theoretically be able to breed with chickens; they're primarily turning genes back on that are already in the chicken, not really making broad sweeping changes to the genome.

Now that I think of it, taking mutations from a bunch of different individuals and trying to produce one individual with all of them is kind of like Weapon X in the X-men movie.
Omegaton

Postby MrGee » Wed Aug 26, 2009 4:55 am UTC

So, the sanctity of life takes another one for the team. I'm reminded of Bart Simpson's frog prince screaming "kill meeee!".
MrGee

Postby Link » Thu Aug 27, 2009 9:16 pm UTC

Well, you have to start small. So we get a dino-chicken this decade; who knows, we might just have pterodactyl-condors the next, and super-intelligent raptors with partially synthetic resequenced DNA by 2040!

Randall, I hope your house is secure, because the RAPTORS ARE COMING!
Link
418 I'm a teapot

Postby Vieto » Thu Aug 27, 2009 10:36 pm UTC

Quick! Turn me into a cyborg and turn skynet on!
a.k.a. Cazador
Vieto

Return to News & Articles