Picture Proof of Moon Landings

Seen something interesting in the news or on the intertubes? Discuss it here.

Moderators: Zamfir, Hawknc, Moderators General, Prelates

The Reaper

Picture Proof of Moon Landings

Postby The Reaper » Thu Sep 03, 2009 1:01 am UTC

http://www.physorg.com/news171102159.html
India's first lunar mission has captured images of the landing site of the Apollo 15 craft, debunking theories that the US mission was a hoax, the country's state-run space agency said Wednesday.

"The images captured by a hyper-spectral camera fitted as a part of Chandrayaan-I... has reconfirmed the veracity of the Apollo 15 mission," said Prakash Chauhan, from the Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO).

NASA's 12-day Apollo 15 mission in 1971 was the first designed to explore the surface of the moon in great detail and over a long period.

But it and others in the Apollo project, including the Apollo 11 mission in 1969, when astronauts first stepped on the moon, have been the subject of a catalogue of conspiracy theories ever since.

Chauhan said Chandrayaan-I, which India launched late last year, located the Apollo 15 landing site by identifying disturbances on the moon's dark surface.

"The disturbed surface is bright," he said, in a presentation in the western state of Goa, where a conference on space missions is being held.

"Our images also show tracks left behind by the lunar rovers which were used by the astronauts."

US, Japanese and Russian scientists have previously found evidence of Apollo 15's landing site by studying photographs.

Chauhan said Chandrayaan-I's findings were further, "independent corroboration" of the landing, adding to other evidence of the Apollo missions, including photographs and analysis of rock samples.

The images were among 70,000 taken by the Chandrayaan-I craft before the mission was aborted last weekend. Scientists blamed a computer malfunction for cutting communications with the orbiter.
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/news/india/Chandrayaan-sends-images-of-Apollo-15-landing/articleshow/4964829.cms
Chauhan was presenting the findings of Chandrayaan-1 mission in his paper 'Chandrayaan I: TMC and HYSI data analysis for Apollo landing sites and Mare Orientale', which would be unveiled in public domain two months later, after further analysis.

The Chandrayaan-1 images have disproved the theory of conspiracy which had claimed that the Apollo 15 was a hoax, he said.

"Chandrayaan has managed to identify the landing site used by the Apollo 15 shuttle on the basis of the disturbances on the moon's surface," Chauhan said.

"Our images also show tracks left behind by the lunar rovers which were used by the astronauts to travel on the moon's surface," Chauhan said.
Take that, naysayers!

Who will probably believe its a conspiracy by Indian elitists to keep the US in charge.....

scrovak

Re: Picture Proof of Moon Landings

Postby scrovak » Thu Sep 03, 2009 1:44 am UTC

We landed on the moon?

/sarcasm
MrGee wrote:I would never eat a person. Have you seen the conditions they're raised in?
kapojinha wrote:You're amazing, which is why I'm going to marry you.

Angua wrote:coordinated baby attacks

Kizyr

Postby Kizyr » Thu Sep 03, 2009 2:06 am UTC

I love that the first several comments are more conspiracy theorists.
That should give you an indication of what kind of effect things like "evidence" and "facts" have on them. KF
~Kizyr

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.
Location: UK/[St. Kitts and] Nevis Occasionally, I migrate to the US for a bit

Postby Angua » Thu Sep 03, 2009 2:15 am UTC

To be honest, my first thought when thinking this could stop conspiracy theorists was that photos can be faked :s I'd be interested to see the pictures though. (I think I've looked for them in the right spot, though could be being blind if they're in the links)
Crabtree's bludgeon: “no set of mutually inconsistent observations can exist for which some human intellect cannot conceive a coherent explanation, however complicated”
GNU Terry Pratchett

The Reaper

Postby The Reaper » Thu Sep 03, 2009 2:22 am UTC

Angua wrote:To be honest, my first thought when thinking this could stop conspiracy theorists was that photos can be faked :s I'd be interested to see the pictures though. (I think I've looked for them in the right spot, though could be being blind if they're in the links)

The physorg photo is just a stock photo, the moon landing ones wont be released for like 2 months or something, after theyve been thoroughly checked for aliens / doctored or whatnot.

dedalus

Postby dedalus » Thu Sep 03, 2009 2:22 am UTC

You can't stop conspiracy theories. All you can do is join the government in the list of people who are trying to kill them to hide the aliens in area 52.
doogly wrote:Oh yea, obviously they wouldn't know Griffiths from Sakurai if I were throwing them at them.

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.
Location: UK/[St. Kitts and] Nevis Occasionally, I migrate to the US for a bit

Postby Angua » Thu Sep 03, 2009 2:24 am UTC

dedalus wrote:You can't stop conspiracy theories. All you can do is join the government in the list of people who are trying to kill them to hide the aliens in area 52.
Lies, everyone knows the aliens are among us.
Crabtree's bludgeon: “no set of mutually inconsistent observations can exist for which some human intellect cannot conceive a coherent explanation, however complicated”
GNU Terry Pratchett

Omegaton

Postby Omegaton » Thu Sep 03, 2009 2:30 am UTC

I think that Americans have about as much reason to believe India about America's moon landings as they do America itself; that is, if they didn't believe we landed on the moon already, this probably won't change their minds, and the conspiracy theories will be amended to reflect this new twist. I think most reasonable people think we landed on the moon, though I could be wrong.

I had this impression from Futurama that we had no idea where the moon landing site was anymore, haha.

dedalus

Postby dedalus » Thu Sep 03, 2009 7:25 am UTC

I thought that high powered telescopes could still see the tracks anyway? Or is the landing site facing away from the Earth..
doogly wrote:Oh yea, obviously they wouldn't know Griffiths from Sakurai if I were throwing them at them.

folkhero

Postby folkhero » Thu Sep 03, 2009 8:22 am UTC

dedalus wrote:I thought that high powered telescopes could still see the tracks anyway? Or is the landing site facing away from the Earth..

You should know better than us, based on your location....

Also clearly NASA is paying off India to pretend that Apollo was real.(sarcasm should be obvious)

Also if it was a hoax, wouldn't the Soviets have had a huge incentive to uncover it, massive egg on the face of the US if they could prove it? And yet the deniers think that somehow they discovered something that an entire superpower missed.
To all law enforcement entities, this is not an admission of guilt...

Zamfir
I built a novelty castle, the irony was lost on some.

Postby Zamfir » Thu Sep 03, 2009 8:31 am UTC

folkhero wrote:Also if it was a hoax, wouldn't the Soviets have had a huge incentive to uncover it, massive egg on the face of the US if they could prove it? And yet the deniers think that somehow they discovered something that an entire superpower missed.

But they are communists! They could hardly be expected to be able do something like that. It seems unlikely that the Soviet-Union really was a superpower at all, they were invented to allow the military-industrial complex to grab power from the common man.

There's even a bit of truth in that.

Kizyr

Postby Kizyr » Thu Sep 03, 2009 1:13 pm UTC

Omegaton wrote:I had this impression from Futurama that we had no idea where the moon landing site was anymore, haha.

That's just because in the 21st century mutant carrots enslaved the Earth, in the 23rd century aliens destroyed New York (thanks to Bender), and in the 26th century they destroyed New York again. Until the mutant carrots come, we'll still know the site of the original moon landing:
http://www.google.com/moon/

Though I'm saddened that Google Moon no longer provides proof that the moon is made of cheese. What are they covering up? KF
~Kizyr

Will
There are about a million things I can do from behind

Postby Will » Thu Sep 03, 2009 2:06 pm UTC

The fact that they stuck a different stock moon photo on the article is kindof annoying. Some of us are really fucking sick of every article about the moon being focused on the moon hoax nutjobs*--we want to hear about the damn moon. And since NASA beat the Indians to the punch by releasing LRO photos of the launch sites (photos that have actually been released), I'm especially disinterested to hear that, hey guys! The Indians took this really cool photo! What's that? No, you can't *see* the photo, why would we show it to you? We'll show it to you in a couple of months.

* Especially annoying is the constant refrain of "This will prove the moon hoaxers wrong!" No, it won't. The moon hoaxers have been proven wrong over, and over, and *fucking over* again. No amount of evidence will be sufficient to change their mind. How about, instead of validating them by mentioning them EVERY FUCKING ARTICLE you just ignore them and try and go on with that whole Astronomy thing?
Meaux_Pas: Is it fucking Taint Sunday or something?
liza: Screw y'all, I'm going to the moon

Technical Ben

Postby Technical Ben » Thu Sep 03, 2009 9:05 pm UTC

I'd like to pretend the MOON is a hoax. Put there to keep us up at nigh worrying about the rays getting in our head!
[/end sarcasm]
More pictures of the moon is great. But I'm more interested in the nebula and star formations out there on the fringes of our reach.
It's all physics and stamp collecting.
It's not a particle or a wave. It's just an exchange.

Goldstein

Postby Goldstein » Thu Sep 03, 2009 10:34 pm UTC

It's a convincing story, but the moon landings were undoubtedly faked.
Chuff wrote:I write most of my letters from the bottom

Jahoclave
sourmilk's moderator

Postby Jahoclave » Fri Sep 04, 2009 3:46 am UTC

dedalus wrote:I thought that high powered telescopes could still see the tracks anyway? Or is the landing site facing away from the Earth..

They were on the side facing Earth, or at least where we could make radio contact. But they did place mirrors so we could bounce lasers off them, so the fact that we can bounce lasers off the moon pretty much proves the point.

Still, the Indian mission was undoubtedly faked in the same studio.

Omegaton

Postby Omegaton » Fri Sep 04, 2009 4:06 am UTC

Kizyr wrote:
Omegaton wrote:I had this impression from Futurama that we had no idea where the moon landing site was anymore, haha.

That's just because in the 21st century mutant carrots enslaved the Earth, in the 23rd century aliens destroyed New York (thanks to Bender), and in the 26th century they destroyed New York again. Until the mutant carrots come, we'll still know the site of the original moon landing:
http://www.google.com/moon/

Though I'm saddened that Google Moon no longer provides proof that the moon is made of cheese. What are they covering up? KF

Wow, I was not aware of Google Moon. That is pretty cool.

Outchanter

Postby Outchanter » Fri Sep 04, 2009 5:37 am UTC

What I find neat is that the Indian spacecraft got close enough (and the remote imaging technology is good enough) to see those kinds of details. It's rather sad that the conspiracy theorists can't appreciate that, but it's their loss.

Gelsamel
Lame and emo

Postby Gelsamel » Fri Sep 04, 2009 6:05 am UTC

I think this well separate the skeptical people (who perhaps didn't realise the depth of evidence for the moon landings) and the people who are just anti-government crusaders from the pack.
"Give up here?"
- > No
"Do you accept defeat?"
- > No
"Do you think games are silly little things?"
- > No
"Is it all pointless?"
- > No
"Do you admit there is no meaning to this world?"
- > No

phillipsjk

Postby phillipsjk » Fri Sep 04, 2009 6:07 am UTC

I always wondered why people didn't just show deniers the landing site trough a telescope.

Then, I had to opportunity to look at the moon through a 12" telescope at the local university: The field of view was too wide to see anything. I also realized that with a narrower field of view, I wouldn't know which crater to look at anyway!

The first thing that the astronomy student operating the 'scope found that night was Saturn. I remember being disappointed that it was black & white! (In low light your colour vision stops working)
Did you get the number on that truck?

Kain

Postby Kain » Fri Sep 04, 2009 7:44 am UTC

phillipsjk wrote:I always wondered why people didn't just show deniers the landing site trough a telescope.

Then, I had to opportunity to look at the moon through a 12" telescope at the local university: The field of view was too wide to see anything. I also realized that with a narrower field of view, I wouldn't know which crater to look at anyway!

The first thing that the astronomy student operating the 'scope found that night was Saturn. I remember being disappointed that it was black & white! (In low light your colour vision stops working)

Personally, the first thing they had us find was the Orion Nebula (Saturn not being visible at the time). What type of scope were you using? We were able to see the color just fine... well, sort of. A dull yellow, really, though the picture I took with my digital camera somehow managed to perfectly seperate the red and blue wavelengths to make three saturns slightly overlapping each other (I doubt I will ever get that lucky with a picture again).

Anyways, Moon Landing:
I've always heard that the number of people who believe that the US faked the moon landing was around 15% of the US population, which I really, really hope is an overestimation. However, if it is accurate, that is a large enough population for which the strategy of ignoring them can backfire.
Look, you know it's serious when a bunch of people in full armor and gear come charging in to fight a pond of chickens - Steax

Zamfir
I built a novelty castle, the irony was lost on some.

Postby Zamfir » Fri Sep 04, 2009 9:02 am UTC

Kain wrote:I've always heard that the number of people who believe that the US faked the moon landing was around 15% of the US population, which I really, really hope is an overestimation. However, if it is accurate, that is a large enough population for which the strategy of ignoring them can backfire.

The trouble is that many people just never thought about it at all. If you ask them "what country set people on the moon", I doubt you would get 15% of the people saying that it never happened. But if you ask "Do you believe the moon landings really happened", a lot of people get shocked into examination mode and think that if the question is asked at all, it can't be as obvious as they thought it was. And then people guess, and some guess wrong. it's an effect newspapers know very well, so if they have a bad news day, they make some stupid poll because they know the results will be weird.

phillipsjk

Postby phillipsjk » Fri Sep 04, 2009 6:21 pm UTC

Kain wrote:
phillipsjk wrote:The first thing that the astronomy student operating the 'scope found that night was Saturn. I remember being disappointed that it was black & white! (In low light your colour vision stops working)

Personally, the first thing they had us find was the Orion Nebula (Saturn not being visible at the time). What type of scope were you using? We were able to see the color just fine... well, sort of. A dull yellow, really, though the picture I took with my digital camera somehow managed to perfectly seperate the red and blue wavelengths to make three saturns slightly overlapping each other (I doubt I will ever get that lucky with a picture again).

Well, this was back in 2000 or 2001 with a newtonian telescope. If the planet has farther away at that time, it may have been dimmer. We were also in the city, so (amber) sky-glow could possibly obscure the colour as well. You mention 3 overlapping saturns: it was bouncing all over the place :P

I was just in the introductory astronomy course, so was not in charge of finding interesting objects.

folkhero

Postby folkhero » Sat Sep 05, 2009 1:12 am UTC

Zamfir wrote:
Kain wrote:I've always heard that the number of people who believe that the US faked the moon landing was around 15% of the US population, which I really, really hope is an overestimation. However, if it is accurate, that is a large enough population for which the strategy of ignoring them can backfire.

The trouble is that many people just never thought about it at all. If you ask them "what country set people on the moon", I doubt you would get 15% of the people saying that it never happened. But if you ask "Do you believe the moon landings really happened", a lot of people get shocked into examination mode and think that if the question is asked at all, it can't be as obvious as they thought it was. And then people guess, and some guess wrong. it's an effect newspapers know very well, so if they have a bad news day, they make some stupid poll because they know the results will be weird.

And this is being generous and assuming the poll wasn't a push poll trying to get weird results to fabricate news.

Comic JK

Postby Comic JK » Sat Sep 05, 2009 2:43 am UTC

Considering the fact that the astronauts took several famous photos of the earth from Tranquility Base, I think they landed on the Earth side.
A webcomic funnier than life itself. Updated Monday-Friday.

Okita
Staying Alive

Postby Okita » Sat Sep 05, 2009 11:17 pm UTC

Am I the only one troubled by this?

The Indians have gotten close to the Moon! What the hell!? What are you doing NASA? Everyone's catching up!

We either need to go back to the moon at least 10x more or get to Mars. Seriously.

Space! I wants more progress!
"I may or may not be a raptor. There is no way of knowing until entering a box that I happen to be in and then letting me sunder the delicious human flesh from your body in reptile fury."

Jahoclave
sourmilk's moderator

Postby Jahoclave » Sun Sep 06, 2009 7:04 am UTC

Okita wrote:Space! I wants more progress!

And I don't care if you have to film it on a sound stage.

folkhero

Postby folkhero » Sun Sep 06, 2009 7:09 am UTC

Jahoclave wrote:
Okita wrote:Space! I wants more progress!

And I don't care if you have to film it on a sound stage.

Our sound stage development is falling way behind the rest of the world. Why do you think Kim Jong Il kidnapped that film director? He's the Warner Von Braun of the 21st century.

'; DROP DATABASE;--

Postby '; DROP DATABASE;-- » Mon Sep 07, 2009 6:26 am UTC

How do you know space even exists? Ever been there? It's all a plot! :P
Angua wrote:
dedalus wrote:You can't stop conspiracy theories. All you can do is join the government in the list of people who are trying to kill them to hide the aliens in area 52.
Lies, everyone knows the aliens are among us.
I know a couple. Heck I might be one, dunno.
poxic wrote:You suck. And simultaneously rock. I think you've invented a new state of being.

phillipsjk

LRO Sees Apollo Landing Sites 07.17.09

Postby phillipsjk » Thu Mar 18, 2010 4:02 am UTC

NASA has some more pictures: you can even see a blurry path of footprints: LRO Sees Apollo Landing Sites

I suppose the naysayers will say it is exquisite computer rendering purposely blurred so you can't see rendering artifacts :P

The Reaper

Postby The Reaper » Thu Mar 18, 2010 4:06 am UTC

Hooray!

Omegaton

Re: LRO Sees Apollo Landing Sites 07.17.09

Postby Omegaton » Thu Mar 18, 2010 4:09 am UTC

phillipsjk wrote:NASA has some more pictures: you can even see a blurry path of footprints: LRO Sees Apollo Landing Sites

I suppose the naysayers will say it is exquisite computer rendering purposely blurred so you can't see rendering artifacts :P

Or that it's just a picture of a sandbox.

TheGrammarBolshevik
Location: Going to and fro in the earth, and walking up and down in it.

Postby TheGrammarBolshevik » Thu Mar 18, 2010 4:33 am UTC

On Mars.
Nothing rhymes with orange,
Not even sporange.

frezik

Postby frezik » Thu Mar 18, 2010 4:36 am UTC

phillipsjk wrote:I always wondered why people didn't just show deniers the landing site trough a telescope.

It's possible to aim it right, as long as you have the precise time and coordinates. However, no telescope on earth has the magnification required to pick up something that small from that far away, even as just one spot of light. Hubble can't even do it, since the size of its optics was limited by what the Shuttle could bring up.
I do not agree with the beer you drink, but will defend to the death your right to drink it

netcrusher88

Postby netcrusher88 » Thu Mar 18, 2010 11:34 am UTC

Only because Mythbusters did in fact do this myth:
Spoiler:

So, picture proof of moon landings. As opposed to the photos taken on the moon?

Also the corner reflector arrays that they left up there.
Sexothermic
I have only ever made one prayer to God, a very short one: "O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous." And God granted it. -Voltaire
They said we would never have a black president until Swine Flu. -Gears

the_bandersnatch
Actually not so frumious.
Location: on a bed in a room inside a TV in a hotel room in a hotel on a Monopoly board

Postby the_bandersnatch » Thu Mar 18, 2010 1:49 pm UTC

Goldstein wrote:It's a convincing story, but the moon landings were undoubtedly faked.

Haha, love that. I've got a sudden urge to go watch The Clangers on YouTube now...
In girum imus nocte, et consumimur igni

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Thu Mar 18, 2010 1:54 pm UTC

Someone necroed this, but I can't be bothered examining timestamps to hunt down the culprit.

Anyway, something like that won't convince a conspiracy theorist. After all, NASA just paid the Indians to get them to say "look we found the landing site".

Goldstein wrote:It's a convincing story, but the moon landings were undoubtedly faked.

Off topic, but that site is blocked from my workplace and the reason given is that it contains humour. Of all the jobsworthy reasons they could think of to block it, they chose to block it for containing humour.
What would Baron Harkonnen do?

the_bandersnatch
Actually not so frumious.
Location: on a bed in a room inside a TV in a hotel room in a hotel on a Monopoly board

Postby the_bandersnatch » Thu Mar 18, 2010 2:00 pm UTC

Yeah, you can't be having fun when you're at work, surely they pay you enough to be miserable the whole time?

Oh, and it was the very naughty phillipsjk who necro'ed this thread, he shall pay by being exiled to the soundstage in Arizona where the moon landings were filmed.
In girum imus nocte, et consumimur igni

phillipsjk

Postby phillipsjk » Thu Mar 18, 2010 3:27 pm UTC

Somebody linked to those pictures On Slashdot, and I just had to use the search function to find the thread where these would be most on-topic. :mrgreen:

mosc
Doesn't care what you think.

Postby mosc » Thu Jul 17, 2014 5:49 pm UTC

So, 4 years later, dragged from the depths:
NASA LINKY!

I know it's not all like, corroborated by India's space program and all but I thought a lot of the recent pictures were pretty cool and wanted to share them with y'all.

There's also a wonderful explanation of how the thing takes pictures. It basically has three independent bands that capture three different light frequencies. Take a look at this:

Getting turned into this:
Title: It was given by the XKCD moderators to me because they didn't care what I thought (I made some rantings, etc). I care what YOU think, the joke is forums.xkcd doesn't care what I think.

Return to “News & Articles”