Man-flavored Swedish milk, Coming soon!

Seen something interesting in the news or on the intertubes? Discuss it here.

Moderators: Zamfir, Hawknc, Moderators General, Prelates

The Reaper

Man-flavored Swedish milk, Coming soon!

Postby The Reaper » Fri Sep 04, 2009 2:00 am UTC

http://www.thelocal.se/21842.html
Swedish father Ragnar Bengtsson, 26, has entered into an experiment that he hopes will help him breastfeed his future children.

On Tuesday, the Stockholm family man began stimulating his breasts with a pump in a bid to produce milk.

"Anything that doesn't do any harm is worth trying out. And if it works it could prove very important for men's ability to get much closer to their children at an early stage," Bengtsson told The Local.

His efforts are to be documented by Swedish TV8, with the first instalment scheduled to air at 9pm on Wednesday on the Aschberg show. Bengtsson also maintains a blog on the station's website, the title of which translates as: 'The Milkman - One Drop at a Time'.

Bengtsson is preparing to pump his breasts at three-hour intervals every day until the beginning of December. As a full time economics student at Stockholm University, he is not always going to be in a position to pump in private.

"I'm going to have to pull out the pump during lectures. But really it doesn't bother me if it makes people uncomfortable. If they have issues with it that's their problem," he said.

Male lactation is a relatively common side effect of hormone treatments, but Bengtsson has no plans to chemically induce the process.

"If it works and the milk turns out to have a high nutritional value it could be a real breakthrough," he said.

Bengtsson has a 2-year-old son who is in no way involved in the experiment, but the Stockholm dad doesn't rule our breastfeeding any future kids. Not everybody has acclaimed his quest for fathers' milk, however.

"There have been a lot of strong reactions. Some people think it's completely sick," he said.

Sigbritt Werner, professor of endocrinology at Karolinska Institutet in Stockholm, told The Local that it could be possible for Bengtsson to produce "a drop or two" after three or four months.

"Women breastfeed after they've been bathing in estrogen during a nine month pregnancy, so obviously it takes some time. But if he works on it regularly he'll likely notice a layer of tissue forming beneath the areola and it should be possible to produce enough of the hormone prolactin to cause lactation," she said.

But Werner stressed that while she was interested in the subject, she was more keen for men to use their breasts to comfort their children.

"Men often have trouble finding things. And if the mother is out, the child is screaming and they can't find the pacifier I'm sure there are a lot of men who give their baby their breasts.

"Healthy children know instinctively that the breast has a dual function. One gives them milk, the other gives them warmth and a cosy bond. Men don't need to strive to produce milk but they should take the opportunity to get closer to their child by offering them their breasts in the same way as women," she said.

Paul O'Mahony (paul.omahony@thelocal.se/08 656 6513)
o_O

sir2you

Re: Man-flavored Swedish milk, Coming soon!

Postby sir2you » Fri Sep 04, 2009 3:44 am UTC

o_O * 2
„‹•**•›„„‹•*„‹•**•›„„‹•*„‹•* "There are two ways to live your life; as if nothing is *•›„„‹•**•›„*•›„„‹•**•›„*•›„
*•›„*•›„„‹•**•›„*•›„„‹•**•›„ a miracle, or as if everything is a miracle." - Einstein „‹•*„‹•**•›„„‹•*„‹•**•›„„‹•*

Amarantha

Postby Amarantha » Fri Sep 04, 2009 3:58 am UTC

Didn't someone already try this like a decade ago?

In any case, I don't share the o_O reaction. If he can do it, more power to him. Gender roles are teh sark.

Heavenlytoaster

Postby Heavenlytoaster » Fri Sep 04, 2009 3:59 am UTC

Your bodys hormonal/chemical/biological processes, now oppressive gender roles!

Omegaton

Postby Omegaton » Fri Sep 04, 2009 4:12 am UTC

Mythbusters, get on it!

But seriously, is there any evidence that it'll work? The endocrinologist seems to think there is actually some validity to this...

Also, if I couldn't find a pacifier, my next idea would probably NOT be to use my own nipple.

psyck0

Postby psyck0 » Fri Sep 04, 2009 5:06 am UTC

Yeah, I gotta say nipple wouldn't be my gut either, but it's a pretty good idea. Maybe I'll remember this when I have kids in... 10 years or so.

Amarantha

Postby Amarantha » Fri Sep 04, 2009 7:24 am UTC

Heavenlytoaster wrote:Your bodys hormonal/chemical/biological processes, now oppressive gender roles!
"Men shouldn't breastfeed, even if they can" = oppressive gender role.

brakos82

Postby brakos82 » Fri Sep 04, 2009 7:26 am UTC

o_O *3
I am Brakos, and I may or may not approve this message.

Heavenlytoaster

Postby Heavenlytoaster » Fri Sep 04, 2009 7:28 am UTC

Amarantha wrote:
Heavenlytoaster wrote:Your bodys hormonal/chemical/biological processes, now oppressive gender roles!
"Men shouldn't breastfeed, even if they can" = oppressive gender role.

That is weird/bizzare/why? != judgment value of should/shouldn't

fyrenwater

Postby fyrenwater » Fri Sep 04, 2009 7:35 am UTC

How is pumping going to get the milk flowing? Is it even physically possible?

Also, if I was a father and I couldn't find my kid's pacifier, I'd just wash my hand then let it suck on my finger or something.
...It made more sense in my head.

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.
Location: UK/[St. Kitts and] Nevis Occasionally, I migrate to the US for a bit

Postby Angua » Fri Sep 04, 2009 12:16 pm UTC

I know that breast milk when it keeps being stimulated will keep flowing for as long as it's needed, but I'm not sure if you don't need the hormonal changes present in pregnancy to get it started in the first place.

Has there ever been a study on doing this with women who've never been pregnant?
Crabtree's bludgeon: “no set of mutually inconsistent observations can exist for which some human intellect cannot conceive a coherent explanation, however complicated”
GNU Terry Pratchett

EmptySet

Postby EmptySet » Fri Sep 04, 2009 1:27 pm UTC

Pregnancy is not required. It has been known for some time that men can lactate, even without taking hormones or suchlike. It was reported among POWs in the Vietnam war and also among some survivors of Nazi concentration camps, and in such circumstances is believed to be a response to extreme stress and lack of food. I also understand that stimulation of the nipple releases hormones which could lead to lactation, and based on what the endocrinologist says, I would say that the guy could indeed achieve lactation... though I doubt it would be in any great quantity since he (presumably) doesn't have properly developed mammaries.

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.
Location: UK/[St. Kitts and] Nevis Occasionally, I migrate to the US for a bit

Postby Angua » Fri Sep 04, 2009 6:09 pm UTC

EmptySet wrote:Pregnancy is not required. It has been known for some time that men can lactate, even without taking hormones or suchlike. It was reported among POWs in the Vietnam war and also among some survivors of Nazi concentration camps, and in such circumstances is believed to be a response to extreme stress and lack of food. I also understand that stimulation of the nipple releases hormones which could lead to lactation, and based on what the endocrinologist says, I would say that the guy could indeed achieve lactation... though I doubt it would be in any great quantity since he (presumably) doesn't have properly developed mammaries.
Cool, I did not know about the POWs.
Crabtree's bludgeon: “no set of mutually inconsistent observations can exist for which some human intellect cannot conceive a coherent explanation, however complicated”
GNU Terry Pratchett

Walter.Horvath

Postby Walter.Horvath » Fri Sep 04, 2009 7:43 pm UTC

Alternative subtitles for the story:
"20 years and two children later, he still pumps!"
"You think he'd stop after the fifth kid killed himself."

mercurythief

Postby mercurythief » Sun Sep 06, 2009 6:02 pm UTC

AnnaArmour

Postby AnnaArmour » Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:27 am UTC

The Reaper wrote:"Men often have trouble finding things. And if the mother is out, the child is screaming and they can't find the pacifier I'm sure there are a lot of men who give their baby their breasts.

This sounds eerily similar to a scene in a lame ass-comedy.
*Panicky father desperately searches for screaming child's pacifier, stops, looks slowly and reluctantly down at chest, then at baby.
Several minutes later, wife enters.
Cue elaborate staring and canned laughter.*

i

Postby i » Mon Sep 07, 2009 6:52 am UTC

This is the third weird gender thing coming out of Sweden.

...must be all that heavy metal they listen to.

Gears
Bulletproof

Postby Gears » Tue Sep 08, 2009 5:44 am UTC

Is this neccessary?
General_Norris wrote:I notice a lack of counter-arguments and a lot of fisting.

Amarantha

Postby Amarantha » Tue Sep 08, 2009 12:05 pm UTC

Is that relevant?

A. Akbar

Postby A. Akbar » Tue Sep 08, 2009 12:08 pm UTC

Gears wrote:Is this neccessary?

When we get down to it, is anything besides hitting things with sticks and them eating/mating with them necessary?

Gears
Bulletproof

Postby Gears » Tue Sep 08, 2009 6:08 pm UTC

I'm pretty sure that was a waste considering it's, y'know, pointless and all.

Osha

Postby Osha » Tue Sep 08, 2009 8:16 pm UTC

Necessary, perhaps not; but I wouldn't call this a waste.
If a guy is comfortable stimulating his own breast to be able to breastfeed a baby, well why the heck isn't that a good thing? The baby gets milk, it leads to more chances for both parents to form a close connection with the baby and provide care, and it helps weaken rigid gender roles. How is that a waste?

Does anyone have a problem with this beside the initial "Oh me yarm Guy with boobs breastfeeding~! Ick!" reaction?

Walter.Horvath wrote:Alternative subtitles for the story:
"20 years and two children later, he still pumps!"
"You think he'd stop after the fifth kid killed himself."
Do you really think the child will develop suicidal depression?

Gears
Bulletproof

Postby Gears » Tue Sep 08, 2009 9:41 pm UTC

Maybe not as a direct result, but people will make fun of it.

Return to “News & Articles”