Lead in Lipstick

Seen something interesting in the news or on the intertubes? Discuss it here.

Moderators: Zamfir, Hawknc, Moderators General, Prelates

The Reaper

Lead in Lipstick

Postby The Reaper » Sat Sep 05, 2009 9:29 pm UTC

http://www.physorg.com/news171351650.html
The good news: After a long, tight-lipped silence, the U.S. Federal Drug Administration tested lipsticks for lead -- a move that eco-nonprofit organizations like Campaign for Safe Cosmetics have been calling for years. After all, Campaign for Safe Cosmetics' 2007 study found lead in 61 percent of the 33 lipsticks tested -- despite the fact that lead wasn't listed as an ingredient in any of them!

The bad news: The FDA found lead at levels four times higher than even what Campaign for Safe Cosmetics Found!

The really bad news: The FDA won't name names -- despite admitting that three specific manufacturers had the highest levels of lead in their lipsticks. And as of yet, the FDA has no standard for lead in lipstick -- so toxic lipstick's fair game.

How much lead are we talking? Well, the FDA found lead in all 20 lipsticks it tested -- with the average level being 1.07 ppm -- a level 10 times higher than the FDA's 0.1 ppm limit for lead in candy, which doesn't bode well for kids who might use a parent's lipstick while playing dress up. Even scarier, the highest lead level the FDA found was 3.06 ppm!

Despite the fact that some cosmetic industry people say lipstick can't be made without lead, lead-free lipsticks are already on the market. In fact, health-conscious companies like Lavera have lipstick trade-in offers to entice you away from the contaminated lipsticks (www.lavera.com/special-offers/26-newsle ... -challenge).

To keep your lips lead-free, look for lipsticks specifically labeled lead-free or consult Environmental Working Group's Skin Deep cosmetic safety database (http://ewg.org/) when shopping. Of course, lipstick-free living's also a good option; try organic lip balms.
Fun stuff.

fjafjan
THE fjafjan

Re: Lead in Lipstick

Postby fjafjan » Sun Sep 06, 2009 1:32 am UTC

That stuff is heavy

That's a lead story right there

There are not only warning lights flashing, but warning leads.

I'm here all night folks!
//Yepp, THE fjafjan (who's THE fjafjan?)
Liza wrote:Fjafjan, your hair is so lovely that I want to go to Sweden, collect the bit you cut off in your latest haircut and keep it in my room, and smell it. And eventually use it to complete my shrine dedicated to you.

Megatriorchis

Postby Megatriorchis » Sun Sep 06, 2009 1:39 am UTC

So that's why my lips are so heavy.
The Humanity for the Undead Coalition: Bringing Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness to the Undead and Other Supernatural Humanoids. Zombies don't eat people; people eat people!

fjafjan
THE fjafjan

Postby fjafjan » Sun Sep 06, 2009 1:55 am UTC

Just shoot those lips with some alpha particles and we're golden!
//Yepp, THE fjafjan (who's THE fjafjan?)
Liza wrote:Fjafjan, your hair is so lovely that I want to go to Sweden, collect the bit you cut off in your latest haircut and keep it in my room, and smell it. And eventually use it to complete my shrine dedicated to you.

dragon
"Can I have a Mountain Dew?!"

Postby dragon » Sun Sep 06, 2009 9:53 am UTC

It's difficult to tell if people should be alarmed by these kind of figures for a product like lipstick. A person would only be using a tiny amount; is consuming a scraping of 3 ppm lipstick worse than a handful of 0.1 ppm candy?

This study found that the average amount used per application was 10mg. One lollipop is a thousand times that weight. If you ate ALL the lipstick of each application, and applied it 30-40 times, then you've consumed the equivalent of one lollipop. No one would be shocked at having a lollipop each couple of days, surely.
Context? What context?
Sandry wrote:I'm kind of feeling like it'd be a good idea to somehow position a vibrator for hands-free use, then you can legitimately DDR with your feet while knitting and it all works.

Heavenlytoaster

Postby Heavenlytoaster » Sun Sep 06, 2009 10:33 am UTC

dragon wrote:It's difficult to tell if people should be alarmed by these kind of figures for a product like lipstick. A person would only be using a tiny amount; is consuming a scraping of 3 ppm lipstick worse than a handful of 0.1 ppm candy?

This study found that the average amount used per application was 10mg. One lollipop is a thousand times that weight. If you ate ALL the lipstick of each application, and applied it 30-40 times, then you've consumed the equivalent of one lollipop. No one would be shocked at having a lollipop each couple of days, surely.

Your post makes me feel ashamed, I usually catch onto things like this and didn't when reading the article, and people not performing this kind of analysis to news usually irks me. :?

Chfan

Postby Chfan » Sun Sep 06, 2009 12:59 pm UTC

So now we'll all know the actual color of your lips? OH NO!
Just FYI, the guy isn't avatar isn't me. But he seems pretty cool.

frezik

Postby frezik » Sun Sep 06, 2009 1:34 pm UTC

In the ewc's brand listings in their cosmetics database, one of the ingredients listed is "cancer".

I think we also need to know how much dihydrogen monoxide is in these things.
I do not agree with the beer you drink, but will defend to the death your right to drink it

Technical Ben

Postby Technical Ben » Sun Sep 06, 2009 4:15 pm UTC

I knew women were crazy! Now I have proof of why.

[edit] Ok, just how much lead? Are we talking about a "trace" from the pipe/machinery in the manufacturing process, or an added ingredient? And now I'm never eating candy! :P
It's all physics and stamp collecting.
It's not a particle or a wave. It's just an exchange.

diotimajsh

Postby diotimajsh » Sun Sep 06, 2009 7:36 pm UTC

I have to say, if this were genuinely a problem, I'd expect there to have been many more cases of women mysteriously developing lead-consumption symptoms over the years, considering how frequently lipstick is used.

Not to say it isn't something we should be aware of and concerned about, of course.
Osha wrote:Foolish Patriarchy! Your feeble attempts at social pressure have no effect on my invincible awesomeness! Bwahahahaa

Blog type thing

folkhero

Postby folkhero » Sun Sep 06, 2009 8:06 pm UTC

dragon wrote:It's difficult to tell if people should be alarmed by these kind of figures for a product like lipstick. A person would only be using a tiny amount; is consuming a scraping of 3 ppm lipstick worse than a handful of 0.1 ppm candy?

Your careful reasoning and calculations are taking all the fun out of our fear mongering.
To all law enforcement entities, this is not an admission of guilt...

Freakish

Postby Freakish » Sun Sep 06, 2009 8:33 pm UTC

Dammit. My plan to close the death gap between genders has been found out.
Freakish Inc. We completely understand the public’s concern about futuristic robots feeding on the human population

The Loofah Tree

Postby The Loofah Tree » Sun Sep 06, 2009 9:59 pm UTC

frezik wrote:I think we also need to know how much dihydrogen monoxide is in these things.

Yeah, the inclusion of such a deadly substance in lipstick is most disturbing. *cough*
User is indefinite and subject to spontaneous onsets of apathy.

Felstaff
Occam's Taser

Postby Felstaff » Sun Sep 06, 2009 10:17 pm UTC

Everyone knows Margaux Hemingway was the lead in Lipstick.
Away, you scullion! you rampallion! You fustilarian! I'll tickle your catastrophe.

dragon
"Can I have a Mountain Dew?!"

Postby dragon » Sun Sep 06, 2009 10:33 pm UTC

folkhero wrote:Your careful reasoning and calculations are taking all the fun out of our fear mongering.
Why, thank you!

Annoyed that even a news site proclaiming to be all about the Science would run something like this without glancing at the math. Maybe use less exclamations. And less emotive language. Actually, I wouldn't be surprised if this entire thing was written and provided by the lead-free lipstick company linked at the end. Sigh.
Context? What context?
Sandry wrote:I'm kind of feeling like it'd be a good idea to somehow position a vibrator for hands-free use, then you can legitimately DDR with your feet while knitting and it all works.

BoomFrog

Postby BoomFrog » Mon Sep 07, 2009 5:11 am UTC

Indeed. The link goes to their current advertisement campaign that ties in quite nicely with the article...
"Everything I need to know about parenting I learned from cooking. Don't be afraid to experiment, and eat your mistakes." - Cronos

The Reaper

Postby The Reaper » Mon Sep 07, 2009 5:36 am UTC

The articles are submitted by various users groups, the site itself doesn't write most of them.

Sockmonkey

Postby Sockmonkey » Mon Sep 07, 2009 5:56 pm UTC

Dang. And here I thought we had a Big Evil Conspiracy going on.

Return to “News & Articles”