Nissan Electric Cars Will Sound Like Blade Runner

Seen something interesting in the news or on the intertubes? Discuss it here.

Moderators: Zamfir, Hawknc, Moderators General, Prelates

tzvibish

Nissan Electric Cars Will Sound Like Blade Runner

Postby tzvibish » Mon Sep 21, 2009 7:37 pm UTC

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/uptospe ... unner.html

As the polarization continues between power cars and efficient cars and each side drifts further to either extreme (huge-er SUVs/trucks and more efficient hybrid/electric cars), apparently sound is coming into the equation as well. What's interesting is that the only other time I've heard of a car's "sound" listed as a feature is in the Limited Edition Porsche Boxster. There's a button that decreases the effect of the muffler and makes the engine sound much more powerful to the lesser, weak, people around you. I wonder if this will become part of the standard features of cars: the way it sounds from the outside.
-Featuring the Comic Strip XKCD!

The Reaper

Re: Nissan Electric Cars Will Sound Like Blade Runner

Postby The Reaper » Mon Sep 21, 2009 7:39 pm UTC

tzvibish wrote:http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/uptospeed/2009/09/nissan-silent-electric-cars-blade-runner.html

As the polarization continues between power cars and efficient cars and each side drifts further to either extreme (huge-er SUVs/trucks and more efficient hybrid/electric cars), apparently sound is coming into the equation as well. What's interesting is that the only other time I've heard of a car's "sound" listed as a feature is in the Limited Edition Porsche Boxster. There's a button that decreases the effect of the muffler and makes the engine sound much more powerful to the lesser, weak, people around you. I wonder if this will become part of the standard features of cars: the way it sounds from the outside.

I swear to god, if they make "soulja boy" a cartone, I'm killing every living thing everywhere.

tzvibish

Postby tzvibish » Mon Sep 21, 2009 7:40 pm UTC

The Reaper wrote:I swear to god, if they make "soulja boy" a cartone, I'm killing every living thing everywhere.

And I will gladly join you in your crusade.
-Featuring the Comic Strip XKCD!

General_Norris

Postby General_Norris » Mon Sep 21, 2009 8:16 pm UTC

tzvibish wrote:. I wonder if this will become part of the standard features of cars: the way it sounds from the outside.

It has always been that way, that's why idiots make a lot of noise when driving.

I hope this gets banned or something, I prefer silence instead of listening to your car thank you.

EdgarJPublius
Official Propagandi.... Nifty Poster Guy

Postby EdgarJPublius » Mon Sep 21, 2009 9:00 pm UTC

it's not so much for any 'cool factor' but is more so that pedestrians who don't or can't see you coming don't get run over. It's supposed to cut off after 12mph when tire-noise is loud enough to adequately warn pedestrians.

EDIT: http://www.opencongress.org/bill/110-h5734/show
Roosevelt wrote:
I wrote:Does Space Teddy Roosevelt wrestle Space Bears and fight the Space Spanish-American War with his band of Space-volunteers the Space Rough Riders?

Yes.

-still unaware of the origin and meaning of his own user-title

Zamfir
I built a novelty castle, the irony was lost on some.

Postby Zamfir » Tue Sep 22, 2009 7:14 am UTC

tzvibish wrote:What's interesting is that the only other time I've heard of a car's "sound" listed as a feature is in the Limited Edition Porsche Boxster.

Nah, "sound engineering" is something all car manufacturers are deeply engaged in. By twerking the muzzler, you can very strongly change the emotional aspects of a car. Many multi-brand companies that use the same engine for different cars specifically tune the muzzler to make them sound different.

The only thing weird about the Porsche is that they openly admit it. Usually, they like to pretend that roaring sports car sounds are purely a result of the masculinity of the engine.

Hawknc
Oompa Loompa of SCIENCE!

Postby Hawknc » Tue Sep 22, 2009 7:20 am UTC

Zamfir wrote:
tzvibish wrote:What's interesting is that the only other time I've heard of a car's "sound" listed as a feature is in the Limited Edition Porsche Boxster.

Nah, "sound engineering" is something all car manufacturers are deeply engaged in. By twerking the muzzler, you can very strongly change the emotional aspects of a car. Many multi-brand companies that use the same engine for different cars specifically tune the muzzler to make them sound different.

This. Nissan's proposal is designed to put a consumer-friendly face on a looming legal requirement for EVs to make some sort of noise, primarily for the safety of blind people and children. No more sneaking up behind people in your Prius, in other words.

And yes, the first car that has an engine note of Soulja Boy will meet a very quick demise. On the other hand, TIE Fighter sedan - awesome idea, or REALLY awesome idea?

Zamfir
I built a novelty castle, the irony was lost on some.

Postby Zamfir » Tue Sep 22, 2009 7:32 am UTC

Hawknc wrote:. No more sneaking up behind people in your Prius, in other words.

So, no Prius for me. That was the fun part. Especially sneaking up on wheelchairs, and then accelerating.

Sharlos

Postby Sharlos » Tue Sep 22, 2009 9:48 am UTC

I doubt car tones will be customisable to that degree, or you'll confuse people, with them wondering why a mobile phone is accelerating towards them down the road.

Hawknc
Oompa Loompa of SCIENCE!

Postby Hawknc » Tue Sep 22, 2009 9:55 am UTC

Maybe not stock, but I can see an underground fusion of hacker and car culture occurring to create some awesome hacks for electric cars. :D

dedalus

Postby dedalus » Tue Sep 22, 2009 11:19 am UTC

Hawknc wrote:Maybe not stock, but I can see an underground fusion of hacker and car culture occurring to create some awesome hacks for electric cars. :D

Except that considering the kind of people who would put that on their cars are not going to have any kind of music I'd want to listen to. It's bad enough when they pull up next to me and I can hear it through their closed windows from the inside of the car.

This is pretty much just the equivalent of a constant running, softer car horn to be honest.
doogly wrote:Oh yea, obviously they wouldn't know Griffiths from Sakurai if I were throwing them at them.

Return to “News & Articles”