Got a need for speed? Head for Detroit

Seen something interesting in the news or on the intertubes? Discuss it here.

Moderators: Zamfir, Hawknc, Moderators General, Prelates

User avatar
Hawknc
Oompa Loompa of SCIENCE!
Posts: 6986
Joined: Mon Oct 02, 2006 5:14 am UTC
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Contact:

Got a need for speed? Head for Detroit

Postby Hawknc » Fri Oct 02, 2009 10:57 am UTC

Understaffed cops say they're giving up catching speeding drivers to focus on bigger crimes

Faced with dwindling resources, overcrowded prisons and much more significant crimes, Detroit police are now ignoring traffic infractions. Below, ABC News describes an incident where Detroit's police chief let someone driving without a license go with merely a warning.

He certainly is a legitimate arrest," said Detroit police chief Warren Evans of that license-less driver. "But is it worth being out of service for an hour and a half in an area where the priority runs could be significant in that hour and a half?"

ABC News also reports that, "The in-car cameras and computers in most squad cars don't work so officers can't record traffic stops, run license plates and check for warrants." So basically, speeding is now fair game in the city of Detroit. We plan on putting this to the test.


Part of me is pulling an Ackbar on this one, but another part of me is utterly fascinated with Detroit and the apparently lawless Gothamesque metropolis that the media is portraying it as. Anyone local want to test the waters?

User avatar
Plasma Man
Posts: 2035
Joined: Tue Jan 15, 2008 9:27 am UTC
Location: Northampton, Northampton, Northampton middle England.

Re: Got a need for speed? Head for Detroit

Postby Plasma Man » Fri Oct 02, 2009 11:47 am UTC

"No, officer, I was stationary. The rest of the world was moving at high speed in relation to me."
Please note that despite the lovely avatar Sungura gave me, I am not a medical doctor.

Possibly my proudest moment on the fora.

User avatar
frezik
Posts: 1336
Joined: Wed Jan 10, 2007 7:52 pm UTC
Location: Schrödinger's Box

Re: Got a need for speed? Head for Detroit

Postby frezik » Fri Oct 02, 2009 1:24 pm UTC

Between this and almost 30% unemployment, is there a good reason why Detroit shouldn't be considered a third world country?
I do not agree with the beer you drink, but will defend to the death your right to drink it

EmptySet
Posts: 1196
Joined: Thu Jul 24, 2008 6:33 am UTC

Re: Got a need for speed? Head for Detroit

Postby EmptySet » Fri Oct 02, 2009 1:34 pm UTC

frezik wrote:Between this and almost 30% unemployment, is there a good reason why Detroit shouldn't be considered a third world country?


...because it's not a country?

User avatar
Armadillo Al
Posts: 934
Joined: Thu Aug 14, 2008 4:17 pm UTC
Location: Illinois

Re: Got a need for speed? Head for Detroit

Postby Armadillo Al » Fri Oct 02, 2009 3:03 pm UTC

So...they no longer have enough money to pursue the sort of activities that make money for them?

This cannot possibly end well.
Compiling.. wrote:xkcd... where EVERYONE loves EVERYONE...

MrGee
Posts: 998
Joined: Sat Jun 14, 2008 9:33 pm UTC

Re: Got a need for speed? Head for Detroit

Postby MrGee » Fri Oct 02, 2009 3:36 pm UTC

Well this is really disturbing. Fining speeders is 90% of what the police DO.

Not sure I trust the source though. A car website reporting that it's okay to speed?

User avatar
frezik
Posts: 1336
Joined: Wed Jan 10, 2007 7:52 pm UTC
Location: Schrödinger's Box

Re: Got a need for speed? Head for Detroit

Postby frezik » Fri Oct 02, 2009 4:41 pm UTC

EmptySet wrote:
frezik wrote:Between this and almost 30% unemployment, is there a good reason why Detroit shouldn't be considered a third world country?


...because it's not a country?


I don't like getting bogged down in details like that.
I do not agree with the beer you drink, but will defend to the death your right to drink it

User avatar
Jahoclave
sourmilk's moderator
Posts: 4790
Joined: Thu Oct 25, 2007 8:34 pm UTC
Contact:

Re: Got a need for speed? Head for Detroit

Postby Jahoclave » Sat Oct 03, 2009 1:24 am UTC

frezik wrote:
EmptySet wrote:
frezik wrote:Between this and almost 30% unemployment, is there a good reason why Detroit shouldn't be considered a third world country?


...because it's not a country?


I don't like getting bogged down in details like that.

Exactly, now be an American and tell EmptySet that he's wrong. Facts are for Canadians.

The Reaper
Posts: 4008
Joined: Fri Oct 12, 2007 5:37 am UTC
Location: San Antonio, Tx
Contact:

Re: Got a need for speed? Head for Detroit

Postby The Reaper » Sat Oct 03, 2009 1:25 am UTC

Jahoclave wrote:
frezik wrote:
EmptySet wrote:
frezik wrote:Between this and almost 30% unemployment, is there a good reason why Detroit shouldn't be considered a third world country?
...because it's not a country?
I don't like getting bogged down in details like that.
Exactly, now be an American and tell EmptySet that he's wrong. Facts are for Canadians.
YOU'RE WRONG. Facts are for the Swiss.

User avatar
Jahoclave
sourmilk's moderator
Posts: 4790
Joined: Thu Oct 25, 2007 8:34 pm UTC
Contact:

Re: Got a need for speed? Head for Detroit

Postby Jahoclave » Sat Oct 03, 2009 1:31 am UTC

The Reaper wrote:
Jahoclave wrote:
frezik wrote:
EmptySet wrote:
frezik wrote:Between this and almost 30% unemployment, is there a good reason why Detroit shouldn't be considered a third world country?
...because it's not a country?
I don't like getting bogged down in details like that.
Exactly, now be an American and tell EmptySet that he's wrong. Facts are for Canadians.
YOU'RE WRONG. Facts are for the Swiss.

What the fuck do the Swiss know, they arrested Roman Polanski?

User avatar
zug
Posts: 902
Joined: Wed Feb 25, 2009 12:05 am UTC

Re: Got a need for speed? Head for Detroit

Postby zug » Sat Oct 03, 2009 1:35 am UTC

The Reaper wrote:
Jahoclave wrote:
frezik wrote:
EmptySet wrote:
frezik wrote:Between this and almost 30% unemployment, is there a good reason why Detroit shouldn't be considered a third world country?
...because it's not a country?
I don't like getting bogged down in details like that.
Exactly, now be an American and tell EmptySet that he's wrong. Facts are for Canadians.
YOU'RE WRONG. Facts are for the Swiss.

That explains why this story is so cheesy and full of holes.
Velifer wrote:Go to the top of a tower, drop a heavy weight and a photon, observe when they hit the ground.

MrGee
Posts: 998
Joined: Sat Jun 14, 2008 9:33 pm UTC

Re: Got a need for speed? Head for Detroit

Postby MrGee » Sat Oct 03, 2009 9:00 pm UTC

Jahoclave wrote:
The Reaper wrote:
Jahoclave wrote:
frezik wrote:
EmptySet wrote:
frezik wrote:Between this and almost 30% unemployment, is there a good reason why Detroit shouldn't be considered a third world country?
...because it's not a country?
I don't like getting bogged down in details like that.
Exactly, now be an American and tell EmptySet that he's wrong. Facts are for Canadians.
YOU'RE WRONG. Facts are for the Swiss.

What the fuck do the Swiss know, they arrested Roman Polanski?


Switzerland is where all the smart people go. Think about it:

-Neutral in all wars
-Amazing knife contraptions that do anything and fit in a pocket
-Really good chocolate

WalkerRiley
Posts: 50
Joined: Fri May 30, 2008 10:18 pm UTC

Re: Got a need for speed? Head for Detroit

Postby WalkerRiley » Sat Oct 03, 2009 9:23 pm UTC

Let's see:


Underfunded police force: check
Overpopulation: Check
Ignored infarctions: Check



Mein Gott....all we need is a large corperation to privatize the police force and start razing the city to make way for Delta City!!!
Le1bn1z wrote:No more Florida babies. Except for the purposes of scientific research or food.

User avatar
Jahoclave
sourmilk's moderator
Posts: 4790
Joined: Thu Oct 25, 2007 8:34 pm UTC
Contact:

Re: Got a need for speed? Head for Detroit

Postby Jahoclave » Sat Oct 03, 2009 10:17 pm UTC

WalkerRiley wrote:Let's see:


Underfunded police force: check
Overpopulation: Check
Ignored infarctions: Check



Mein Gott....all we need is a large corperation to privatize the police force and start razing the city to make way for Delta City!!!

Somebody call the Billionaires for Policecare! Say no to socialist Obamalice!

Nordic Einar
Posts: 783
Joined: Sun Nov 30, 2008 7:21 am UTC

Re: Got a need for speed? Head for Detroit

Postby Nordic Einar » Sat Oct 03, 2009 10:18 pm UTC

I've lived just outside of Detroit all my life, and I'm going to be honest here; this may be very shocking to you all, but this is pretty much how it's been as long as I remember it.

In the past, Officers very rarely pulled anyone over for speeding or any traffic violation unless they had an existing warrant for their arrest. This is largely because it wasn't deemed worth risking your life in a traffic stop. The only thing that's changed in regards to this policy now is that when they DO stop you, they normally don't do more than warn you off. Detroit has long been known as a city that pretty much lacks traffic laws, except for around Downtown and any events.

The camera thing is a real problem; I read a report recently on how something like 75% (this is offhand, but it was Chief Warrens stating it so I'm inclined to believe it) of in car camera's and computers just don't work. Most Detroit police actually have to GO BACK TO THE STATION after making ANY stop, ticket or arrest to file paperwork. It results in some really ridiculous waste and inefficiency. I don't envy Warren; man has his work cut out for him.

User avatar
Jahoclave
sourmilk's moderator
Posts: 4790
Joined: Thu Oct 25, 2007 8:34 pm UTC
Contact:

Re: Got a need for speed? Head for Detroit

Postby Jahoclave » Sat Oct 03, 2009 10:20 pm UTC

Nordic Einar wrote:I don't envy Warren; man has his work cut out for him.

I'd really laugh if he just got a spotlight and cut out a thing so he could display the bat signal over city hall just to make his point.

User avatar
Brooklynxman
Because I'm Awesome
Posts: 609
Joined: Tue Jan 20, 2009 4:27 pm UTC
Location: Here
Contact:

Re: Got a need for speed? Head for Detroit

Postby Brooklynxman » Sat Oct 03, 2009 10:46 pm UTC

Nordic Einar wrote:In the past, Officers very rarely pulled anyone over for speeding or any traffic violation unless they had an existing warrant for their arrest. This is largely because it wasn't deemed worth risking your life in a traffic stop.


I........how dangerous does it have to be in Detriot to make traffic stops so dangerous police dont want to do them? I mean.....anywhere its dangerous but.....


wow. I knew Detriot was bad but that is.......wow.

All in favor of declaring Detriot a third world country city say aye.

Aye.
We figure out what all this means, then do something large and violent

The thing about changing the world...once you do it the world's all different.

I'm Angel. I beat the bad guys.

Spoiler:
Image

The Reaper
Posts: 4008
Joined: Fri Oct 12, 2007 5:37 am UTC
Location: San Antonio, Tx
Contact:

Re: Got a need for speed? Head for Detroit

Postby The Reaper » Sun Oct 04, 2009 12:41 am UTC

WalkerRiley wrote:Let's see:


Underfunded police force: check
Overpopulation: Check
Ignored infarctions: Check



Mein Gott....all we need is a large corperation to privatize the police force and start razing the city to make way for Delta City!!!

Tokyo Gore Police. Watch it. Win.

MoghLiechty2
Posts: 629
Joined: Sat Jan 24, 2009 8:55 pm UTC

Re: Got a need for speed? Head for Detroit

Postby MoghLiechty2 » Sun Oct 04, 2009 12:44 am UTC

WalkerRiley wrote:Ignored infarctions: Check

Such a thing could single-handedly bring a city to its knees.

User avatar
poxic
Eloquently Prismatic
Posts: 4756
Joined: Sat Jun 07, 2008 3:28 am UTC
Location: Left coast of Canada

Re: Got a need for speed? Head for Detroit

Postby poxic » Sun Oct 04, 2009 1:13 am UTC

MoghLiechty2 wrote:
WalkerRiley wrote:Ignored infarctions: Check

Such a thing could single-handedly bring a city to its knees.

Image


It sounds like the police are more or less working underfunded in a war zone. How bad does Detroit really get? :|

/reminds me a bit of a quote I once heard: "Los Angeles isn't the end of the world, but you can see it from there."
The Supreme Ethical Rule: Act so as to elicit the best in others and thereby in thyself.
- Felix Adler, professor, lecturer, and reformer (13 Aug 1851-1933)

MrGee
Posts: 998
Joined: Sat Jun 14, 2008 9:33 pm UTC

Re: Got a need for speed? Head for Detroit

Postby MrGee » Sun Oct 04, 2009 6:51 pm UTC

Nordic Einar wrote:I've lived just outside of Detroit all my life, and I'm going to be honest here; this may be very shocking to you all, but this is pretty much how it's been as long as I remember it.

In the past, Officers very rarely pulled anyone over for speeding or any traffic violation unless they had an existing warrant for their arrest. This is largely because it wasn't deemed worth risking your life in a traffic stop. The only thing that's changed in regards to this policy now is that when they DO stop you, they normally don't do more than warn you off. Detroit has long been known as a city that pretty much lacks traffic laws, except for around Downtown and any events.

The camera thing is a real problem; I read a report recently on how something like 75% (this is offhand, but it was Chief Warrens stating it so I'm inclined to believe it) of in car camera's and computers just don't work. Most Detroit police actually have to GO BACK TO THE STATION after making ANY stop, ticket or arrest to file paperwork. It results in some really ridiculous waste and inefficiency. I don't envy Warren; man has his work cut out for him.


I thought in return for having the power to order people around and being immune to the law, police officers actually had to DO something about crime. I guess high speed chases are dangerous, but no traffic stops at all?

WalkerRiley
Posts: 50
Joined: Fri May 30, 2008 10:18 pm UTC

Re: Got a need for speed? Head for Detroit

Postby WalkerRiley » Sun Oct 04, 2009 10:53 pm UTC

poxic wrote:
MoghLiechty2 wrote:
WalkerRiley wrote:Ignored infarctions: Check

Such a thing could single-handedly bring a city to its knees.


(pic)


It sounds like the police are more or less working underfunded in a war zone. How bad does Detroit really get? :|

/reminds me a bit of a quote I once heard: "Los Angeles isn't the end of the world, but you can see it from there."



The joys of typing too fast for my own good.


But honestly...am I the only one who sees the movie Robocop in this situation?
Le1bn1z wrote:No more Florida babies. Except for the purposes of scientific research or food.

Nordic Einar
Posts: 783
Joined: Sun Nov 30, 2008 7:21 am UTC

Re: Got a need for speed? Head for Detroit

Postby Nordic Einar » Mon Oct 05, 2009 2:17 am UTC

Well, it WAS set in Detroit.

User avatar
BlackSails
Posts: 5315
Joined: Thu Dec 20, 2007 5:48 am UTC

Re: Got a need for speed? Head for Detroit

Postby BlackSails » Mon Oct 05, 2009 2:23 am UTC

Brooklynxman wrote:
Nordic Einar wrote:In the past, Officers very rarely pulled anyone over for speeding or any traffic violation unless they had an existing warrant for their arrest. This is largely because it wasn't deemed worth risking your life in a traffic stop.


I........how dangerous does it have to be in Detriot to make traffic stops so dangerous police dont want to do them? I mean.....anywhere its dangerous but.....


Traffic stops are the most dangerous situation the average cop faces. They are far more dangerous than you think.

User avatar
Atlas.
Posts: 90
Joined: Fri May 22, 2009 2:07 am UTC
Location: Midwest

Re: Got a need for speed? Head for Detroit

Postby Atlas. » Tue Oct 06, 2009 6:08 am UTC

It seems to me that the conclusion of the story is wrong that it is now ok to speed in Detroit. As the story states the officer stopped the person, but didn't arrest him even though the offense justified it. It just means that you won't get arrested for traffic violations, not that you won't be monetarily penalized for them.
"I don't believe in a no win situation" Captain James T. Kirk

Nordic Einar
Posts: 783
Joined: Sun Nov 30, 2008 7:21 am UTC

Re: Got a need for speed? Head for Detroit

Postby Nordic Einar » Tue Oct 06, 2009 1:31 pm UTC

Atlas. wrote:It seems to me that the conclusion of the story is wrong that it is now ok to speed in Detroit. As the story states the officer stopped the person, but didn't arrest him even though the offense justified it. It just means that you won't get arrested for traffic violations, not that you won't be monetarily penalized for them.


The likely hood of being stopped in Detroit is very, very low. Trust me.

User avatar
frezik
Posts: 1336
Joined: Wed Jan 10, 2007 7:52 pm UTC
Location: Schrödinger's Box

Re: Got a need for speed? Head for Detroit

Postby frezik » Tue Oct 06, 2009 2:51 pm UTC

BlackSails wrote:Traffic stops are the most dangerous situation the average cop faces. They are far more dangerous than you think.


Can't find a reference (just get a bunch of "world's most dangerous police videos" links), but I believe they're considered the second most dangerous situation. The first is entering someone's home, even when invited. Intruding in personal space really sets people off.
I do not agree with the beer you drink, but will defend to the death your right to drink it

MrGee
Posts: 998
Joined: Sat Jun 14, 2008 9:33 pm UTC

Re: Got a need for speed? Head for Detroit

Postby MrGee » Wed Oct 07, 2009 1:35 am UTC

frezik wrote:
BlackSails wrote:Traffic stops are the most dangerous situation the average cop faces. They are far more dangerous than you think.


Can't find a reference (just get a bunch of "world's most dangerous police videos" links), but I believe they're considered the second most dangerous situation. The first is entering someone's home, even when invited. Intruding in personal space really sets people off.


Yeah but home invasions usually end up being handled by FBI/DEA/ATF. Or SWAT. So the point holds for the "average" cop.

The Reaper
Posts: 4008
Joined: Fri Oct 12, 2007 5:37 am UTC
Location: San Antonio, Tx
Contact:

Re: Got a need for speed? Head for Detroit

Postby The Reaper » Wed Oct 07, 2009 1:42 am UTC

MrGee wrote:
frezik wrote:
BlackSails wrote:Traffic stops are the most dangerous situation the average cop faces. They are far more dangerous than you think.


Can't find a reference (just get a bunch of "world's most dangerous police videos" links), but I believe they're considered the second most dangerous situation. The first is entering someone's home, even when invited. Intruding in personal space really sets people off.


Yeah but home invasions usually end up being handled by FBI/DEA/ATF. Or SWAT. So the point holds for the "average" cop.

Not really. There's plenty of times where cops either go into homes because they see something to act on, or they get invited in, or some other case like that. Some of those times, cops get ambushed. Hence the danger. The other invasions that you speak of are the ones that get live news coverage, and usually happen because the suspect is believed to be either armed, dangerous, or likely to flee or aid others fleeing. And you forgot INS.

User avatar
frezik
Posts: 1336
Joined: Wed Jan 10, 2007 7:52 pm UTC
Location: Schrödinger's Box

Re: Got a need for speed? Head for Detroit

Postby frezik » Wed Oct 07, 2009 3:26 am UTC

The Reaper wrote:
MrGee wrote:
frezik wrote:
BlackSails wrote:Traffic stops are the most dangerous situation the average cop faces. They are far more dangerous than you think.


Can't find a reference (just get a bunch of "world's most dangerous police videos" links), but I believe they're considered the second most dangerous situation. The first is entering someone's home, even when invited. Intruding in personal space really sets people off.


Yeah but home invasions usually end up being handled by FBI/DEA/ATF. Or SWAT. So the point holds for the "average" cop.

Not really. There's plenty of times where cops either go into homes because they see something to act on, or they get invited in, or some other case like that.


Exactly. In particular, domestic disputes can often result in the feuding couple turning on the cops.
I do not agree with the beer you drink, but will defend to the death your right to drink it


Return to “News & Articles”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 17 guests