Trooper Daniel Martin suspended again for excessive force

Seen something interesting in the news or on the intertubes? Discuss it here.

Moderators: Zamfir, Hawknc, Moderators General, Prelates

User avatar
Cynical Idealist
Posts: 1124
Joined: Mon Sep 15, 2008 10:48 pm UTC

Trooper Daniel Martin suspended again for excessive force

Postby Cynical Idealist » Sun Oct 11, 2009 5:39 pm UTC

http://www.news9.com/global/story.asp?s=11255583

Yep, that's the same trooper who was involved in the fight with the paramedic a while back. To quote one of my favorite blogs:
AD wrote:It's not like anyone could see this coming, but...

... anyone could see this coming.

The man thought he did absolutely nothing wrong the last time this happened.

How about it, OHP? Are you going to send Trooper Martin on to a rewarding career in the fast food service industry, or are you going to wait until the next headline reads, "OHP Trooper beats Girl Scout to death for shorting him a box of Thin Mints?"
The internet removes the two biggest aids in detecting sarcasm:
1)The tone of voice
2)the assumption that the other person is sane
Elvish Pillager wrote:See? All the problems in our society are caused by violent video games, like FarmVille.

User avatar
Internetmeme
Posts: 1405
Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2008 3:16 pm UTC
Location: South Carolina, USA

Re: Trooper Daniel Martin suspended again for excessive force

Postby Internetmeme » Sun Oct 11, 2009 8:21 pm UTC

Words cannot describe how much of a MOTHERFUCKING ASSHOLE this guy is.

The guy he beat should sue this fucker for all he has. And more.

But dark red like that is fine.
~4d.
Spoiler:

User avatar
Hazel
Posts: 114
Joined: Wed Jun 18, 2008 1:35 pm UTC

Re: Trooper Daniel Martin suspended again for excessive force

Postby Hazel » Sun Oct 11, 2009 10:32 pm UTC

Wait, what? He... randomly beat up a man on the street who happened to be near a traffic stop? Does he even make sense to himself?

User avatar
Bulvox
Posts: 678
Joined: Wed Jun 04, 2008 8:37 pm UTC
Location: Not Bunny
Contact:

Re: Trooper Daniel Martin suspended again for excessive force

Postby Bulvox » Sun Oct 11, 2009 11:09 pm UTC

Hazel wrote:Wait, what? He... randomly beat up a man on the street who happened to be near a traffic stop? Does he even make sense to himself?
He doesn't have to because he's part of "The Goddamn Law".
Image
See Ya Space Cowboy...

User avatar
Not A Raptor
Posts: 417
Joined: Sun Sep 21, 2008 4:06 pm UTC

Re: Trooper Daniel Martin suspended again for excessive force

Postby Not A Raptor » Sun Oct 11, 2009 11:15 pm UTC

Bulvox wrote:
Hazel wrote:Wait, what? He... randomly beat up a man on the street who happened to be near a traffic stop? Does he even make sense to himself?
He doesn't have to because he's part of "The Goddamn Law".
If that's the case, damn the law if it doesn't damn him.
Van wrote:I like simple games.

Like Wizardry.

WARNING: Is acting like NaR.
Kellsbells: NAR is a sillypants
Not_A_Raptor: :p
Kellsbells: That is my expert assessment

Bright Shadows
Posts: 645
Joined: Mon Dec 15, 2008 2:56 pm UTC

Re: Trooper Daniel Martin suspended again for excessive force

Postby Bright Shadows » Mon Oct 12, 2009 1:09 am UTC

Look, I think we can all agree that randomly beating on civilians is not cool, but we do need to keep in mind that this officer is a person too. We shouldn't take everything he has just because he's an ass. While clearly counseling failed to do the trick once, maybe another method would work better. I don't know.

Take away his badge? Maybe. Take all his other stuff too? Well, maybe some of it in reparations, but all of it seems a bit excessive to me.
Image

User avatar
Cynical Idealist
Posts: 1124
Joined: Mon Sep 15, 2008 10:48 pm UTC

Re: Trooper Daniel Martin suspended again for excessive force

Postby Cynical Idealist » Mon Oct 12, 2009 1:49 am UTC

Bright Shadows wrote:Take away his badge? Maybe.

This is his second offense in five months. Some choice clips from his first offence (from a cell phone camera and his dashboard camera) are at the beginning of this clip from CBS.

...I don't think he should get a chance to do it a third time.
The internet removes the two biggest aids in detecting sarcasm:
1)The tone of voice
2)the assumption that the other person is sane
Elvish Pillager wrote:See? All the problems in our society are caused by violent video games, like FarmVille.

Bright Shadows
Posts: 645
Joined: Mon Dec 15, 2008 2:56 pm UTC

Re: Trooper Daniel Martin suspended again for excessive force

Postby Bright Shadows » Mon Oct 12, 2009 1:54 am UTC

Cynical Idealist wrote:
Bright Shadows wrote:Take away his badge? Maybe.

This is his second offense in five months. Some choice clips from his first offence (from a cell phone camera and his dashboard camera) are at the beginning of this clip from CBS.

...I don't think he should get a chance to do it a third time.

I haven't really seen any footage of the excessive force, as it were, and I'm not really planning on it. There are cases where the excessive force wasn't totally unreasonable, or cases where treatment and some time off would allow you to get back a fully capable officer, or something like that. That's why I left it as maybe. You understand?
Image

Walter.Horvath
Posts: 933
Joined: Fri May 15, 2009 11:33 pm UTC
Location: Orlando, FL

Re: Trooper Daniel Martin suspended again for excessive force

Postby Walter.Horvath » Mon Oct 12, 2009 2:15 am UTC

Internetmeme wrote:Words cannot describe how much of a MOTHERFUCKING ASSHOLE this guy is.

The guy he beat should sue this fucker for all he has. And more.

I can feel the heat eminating from you, but are you sure he deserves all of those tags?

User avatar
The Great Hippo
Swans ARE SHARP
Posts: 7302
Joined: Fri Dec 14, 2007 4:43 am UTC
Location: behind you

Re: Trooper Daniel Martin suspended again for excessive force

Postby The Great Hippo » Mon Oct 12, 2009 3:06 am UTC

Bright Shadows wrote:Look, I think we can all agree that randomly beating on civilians is not cool, but we do need to keep in mind that this officer is a person too. We shouldn't take everything he has just because he's an ass. While clearly counseling failed to do the trick once, maybe another method would work better. I don't know.

Take away his badge? Maybe. Take all his other stuff too? Well, maybe some of it in reparations, but all of it seems a bit excessive to me.
Well, to be fair, it would seem reasonable to charge officers who assault civilians with... drum-roll... assault charges. I mean, that would be a good first step, wouldn't it? But I understand what you're saying.

However, consider just how much authority we've invested in police officers when your first response to this situation - an officer physically assaulting someone with no apparent reason - is to maybe fire him rather than charge him with assault. I mean, isn't that what we usually do with people who attack other people? Arrest them.

So, arrest him.

The Reaper
Posts: 4008
Joined: Fri Oct 12, 2007 5:37 am UTC
Location: San Antonio, Tx
Contact:

Re: Trooper Daniel Martin suspended again for excessive force

Postby The Reaper » Mon Oct 12, 2009 3:59 am UTC

The Great Hippo wrote:
Bright Shadows wrote:Look, I think we can all agree that randomly beating on civilians is not cool, but we do need to keep in mind that this officer is a person too. We shouldn't take everything he has just because he's an ass. While clearly counseling failed to do the trick once, maybe another method would work better. I don't know.

Take away his badge? Maybe. Take all his other stuff too? Well, maybe some of it in reparations, but all of it seems a bit excessive to me.
Well, to be fair, it would seem reasonable to charge officers who assault civilians with... drum-roll... assault charges. I mean, that would be a good first step, wouldn't it? But I understand what you're saying.

However, consider just how much authority we've invested in police officers when your first response to this situation - an officer physically assaulting someone with no apparent reason - is to maybe fire him rather than charge him with assault. I mean, isn't that what we usually do with people who attack other people? Arrest them.

So, arrest him.
Wait a second. Charging criminals with crimes? You jest!

Bright Shadows
Posts: 645
Joined: Mon Dec 15, 2008 2:56 pm UTC

Re: Trooper Daniel Martin suspended again for excessive force

Postby Bright Shadows » Mon Oct 12, 2009 4:13 am UTC

The Great Hippo wrote:
Bright Shadows wrote:Look, I think we can all agree that randomly beating on civilians is not cool, but we do need to keep in mind that this officer is a person too. We shouldn't take everything he has just because he's an ass. While clearly counseling failed to do the trick once, maybe another method would work better. I don't know.

Take away his badge? Maybe. Take all his other stuff too? Well, maybe some of it in reparations, but all of it seems a bit excessive to me.
Well, to be fair, it would seem reasonable to charge officers who assault civilians with... drum-roll... assault charges. I mean, that would be a good first step, wouldn't it? But I understand what you're saying.

However, consider just how much authority we've invested in police officers when your first response to this situation - an officer physically assaulting someone with no apparent reason - is to maybe fire him rather than charge him with assault. I mean, isn't that what we usually do with people who attack other people? Arrest them.

So, arrest him.

I'm not saying he shouldn't be arrested in addition to being fired. I'm saying that he shouldn't lose everything he ever had over this and / or be sent to hell, as the people above me appear to have been suggesting. That's overkill, at least in my opinion.

EDIT: You may have read my second post, which is a bit less helpful in backing what I'm saying now. I see that. I was implying more therapy would be a good thing to try, and apparently by itself based on the time off thing. That's not right. I disagree with myself. My FIRST POST, however, was saying what I'm saying now, I think. (If you can't tell, I get confused mid argument a lot.)
Image

User avatar
Izawwlgood
WINNING
Posts: 18686
Joined: Mon Nov 19, 2007 3:55 pm UTC
Location: There may be lovelier lovelies...

Re: Trooper Daniel Martin suspended again for excessive force

Postby Izawwlgood » Mon Oct 12, 2009 5:05 am UTC

Bahaha, 'police business'. Dickwad, your job is to write tickets to people who are going to fast to pad the coffers of the states various law enforcement agencies. You are not a police officer. You are a rule humping wannabee, and your little man exercising your little power is displaying prominently every time you make headlines.
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

User avatar
The Great Hippo
Swans ARE SHARP
Posts: 7302
Joined: Fri Dec 14, 2007 4:43 am UTC
Location: behind you

Re: Trooper Daniel Martin suspended again for excessive force

Postby The Great Hippo » Mon Oct 12, 2009 1:28 pm UTC

Bright Shadows wrote:I'm not saying he shouldn't be arrested in addition to being fired. I'm saying that he shouldn't lose everything he ever had over this and / or be sent to hell, as the people above me appear to have been suggesting. That's overkill, at least in my opinion.

EDIT: You may have read my second post, which is a bit less helpful in backing what I'm saying now. I see that. I was implying more therapy would be a good thing to try, and apparently by itself based on the time off thing. That's not right. I disagree with myself. My FIRST POST, however, was saying what I'm saying now, I think. (If you can't tell, I get confused mid argument a lot.)
Oh, no worries. The thing about arresting him though - I don't think that police officers can have outstanding assault records and stay police officers (I might be wrong about this, of course). If that's the case, arresting him and finding him guilty has the dual benefit of arresting a criminal and getting him relieved of duty (not in retaliation for his actions, but as a direct consequence of them).

For this reason, I'd really like to see more police officers charged with crimes when they commit them. I realize you aren't disagreeing with that sentiment - I just like to take any opportunity I can to express it.

User avatar
JBJ
Posts: 1263
Joined: Fri Dec 12, 2008 6:20 pm UTC
Location: a point or extent in space

Re: Trooper Daniel Martin suspended again for excessive force

Postby JBJ » Mon Oct 12, 2009 2:49 pm UTC

The Great Hippo wrote:Oh, no worries. The thing about arresting him though - I don't think that police officers can have outstanding assault records and stay police officers (I might be wrong about this, of course).

Depends on how the assault is categorized. A felony conviction on your record and you're right out. Misdemeanors are sometimes allowed, depending on the area. Most are okay with class B or lower as long as there is no recent pattern of that activity. Class A misdemeanors are often a disqualification. Plus, it would have to be a conviction. An arrest doesn't count.
So, you sacked the cocky khaki Kicky Sack sock plucker?
The second cocky khaki Kicky Sack sock plucker I've sacked since the sixth sitting sheet slitter got sick.

MrGee
Posts: 998
Joined: Sat Jun 14, 2008 9:33 pm UTC

Re: Trooper Daniel Martin suspended again for excessive force

Postby MrGee » Tue Oct 13, 2009 10:37 pm UTC

Internetmeme wrote:Words cannot describe how much of a MOTHERFUCKING ASSHOLE this guy is.

The guy he beat should sue this fucker for all he has. And more.


Red is a reserved mod color, your anger notwithstanding.

And methinks there be more to this story than yon news article reveals. You have to have SOME reason to explode on an innocent bystander.

Red is indeed a reserved mod color. Please handle issues like this via PM or reporting the post, rather than acting as mod in the thread (another right reserved for moderators).

~CM

User avatar
netcrusher88
Posts: 2166
Joined: Mon Mar 26, 2007 4:35 pm UTC
Location: Seattle

Re: Trooper Daniel Martin suspended again for excessive force

Postby netcrusher88 » Wed Oct 14, 2009 3:28 am UTC

MrGee wrote:You have to have SOME reason to explode on an innocent bystander.

Sort of. For someone with anger management issues - which it seems pretty clear Martin has - they could just be having a bad day. It doesn't make sense, it's not an excuse, and it sucks for all involved, but there it is. Martin being an insufferable ass about it makes it look like it's combined with a bit of a god complex too and that's never a good combination. No idea what's up with Allen, though his going along with Martin lends a little credence to the idea that the bystander might not have been completely innocent.
Sexothermic
I have only ever made one prayer to God, a very short one: "O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous." And God granted it. -Voltaire
They said we would never have a black president until Swine Flu. -Gears

Sero
Posts: 321
Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2008 2:31 am UTC

Re: Trooper Daniel Martin suspended again for excessive force

Postby Sero » Wed Oct 14, 2009 3:47 pm UTC

I'm an Oklahoman. I had forgotten this guy (when I read about the paramedic assault on here) was an OHP. Sadly, this doesn't really seriously conflict with my existing perception of OHP and Oklahoma law enforcement in general. I mean, obviously this level of force is out of the ordinary, but the admittedly limited sample of OHP officers I've known could all use an ego check. 'I am The Law', 'The ends justify the means', are pretty apt descriptors. Honestly kind of scared of the...I forget what their title is, school safety officer, school liason officer, something like that, at my high school.
Princess Marzipan wrote:Dear God, we seriously just went and dug up CITATIONS for TORTURE being a WAR CRIME.

We have been fucking TROLLED, dear readers.


Return to “News & Articles”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: plytho and 22 guests