Gardasil approved for preventing genital warts in males

Seen something interesting in the news or on the intertubes? Discuss it here.

Moderators: Zamfir, Hawknc, Moderators General, Prelates

podbaydoor

Gardasil approved for preventing genital warts in males

Postby podbaydoor » Wed Oct 21, 2009 5:33 pm UTC

http://blogs.consumerreports.org/health ... eristLinks

The Food and Drug Administration has approved the Gardasil vaccine for preventing genital warts in boys and men, from ages 9 through 26. Gardasil was previously approved for the prevention of cervical cancer and genital warts in girls and women ages 9 through 26. Both cervical cancer and genital warts are caused by strains of human papillomavirus, the most common sexually transmitted infection in the U.S. About 2 out of every 1,000 American men develop genital warts each year.
The FDA said the new approval was based on a trial involving more than 4,000 boys and men, ages 16 to 26, that found Gardasil was nearly 90 percent effective in preventing genital warts caused by two types of HPV. Other studies that looked at the immune response in boys ages 9 through 15 indicated the vaccine would be just as effective in this younger age group.

The most common side effects of Gardasil include headache, fever, and reactions at the injection site, including pain, swelling and redness. The FDA said Merck, which manufactures Gardasil, is conducting additional studies to gather further information about the safety and effectiveness in boys and men.
—Steve Mitchell, associate editor, Consumer Reports Best Buy Drugs

Soooooo...will this promote promiscuity among young people!?
tenet |ˈtenit|
noun
a principle or belief, esp. one of the main principles of a religion or philosophy : the tenets of classical liberalism.
tenant |ˈtenənt|
noun
a person who occupies land or property rented from a landlord.

Decker

Re: Gardasil approved for preventing genital warts in males

Postby Decker » Wed Oct 21, 2009 5:39 pm UTC

podbaydoor wrote:Soooooo...will this promote promiscuity among young people!?

Anymore than they already are? Not likely.
I was angry with my friend. I told my wrath. My wrath did end.
I was angry with my foe. I told it not. My wrath did grow.

podbaydoor

Postby podbaydoor » Wed Oct 21, 2009 5:43 pm UTC

Oh, I know. I'm fairly scornful of abstinence-only education and the hyperventilating that happens when free condoms or Gardasil in schools are suggested, because I think horny hormonal teenagers are going to have sex no matter what they're being indoctrinated with.
tenet |ˈtenit|
noun
a principle or belief, esp. one of the main principles of a religion or philosophy : the tenets of classical liberalism.
tenant |ˈtenənt|
noun
a person who occupies land or property rented from a landlord.

The Reaper

Postby The Reaper » Wed Oct 21, 2009 5:48 pm UTC

'cmon herd immunity.

Decker

Postby Decker » Wed Oct 21, 2009 5:52 pm UTC

podbaydoor wrote:Oh, I know. I'm fairly scornful of abstinence-only education and the hyperventilating that happens when free condoms or Gardasil in schools are suggested, because I think horny hormonal teenagers are going to have sex no matter what they're being indoctrinated with.

Exactly.
There is a bit of a problem here though. It can help prevent genital warts, but I'm a little uneasy at the fact that it dosn't say anything about preventing the spread of the virus.

Exotria

Postby Exotria » Wed Oct 21, 2009 5:58 pm UTC

Oh wow. It would probably be a good idea for me to get this. They're still conducting studies on males, but does anyone have any good data on side effects in females? Google-fu failed me by providing a lot of news stories about controversies and exaggerated data and I know there are people here who have researched this thoroughly.
Elvish Pillager wrote:
niolosoiale wrote:So which side of the fence would you say I'm on? Why?

The confusing one. I think you should pick a different fence.

Mokele

Postby Mokele » Wed Oct 21, 2009 6:00 pm UTC

There is a bit of a problem here though. It can help prevent genital warts, but I'm a little uneasy at the fact that it dosn't say anything about preventing the spread of the virus.

It'll prevent infection, but not cure infection. So it'll prevent the spread in the sense of making the individual immune (thus not getting it and spreading it to others), but it won't cure the already-infected, who will continue to spread it.

Still, reducing the population of possible hosts should reduce spread, even if it'll never be complete eradication.
"With malleus aforethought, mammals got an earful of their ancestor's jaw" - J. Burns, Biograffiti

Decker

Postby Decker » Wed Oct 21, 2009 6:01 pm UTC

Mokele wrote:

It'll prevent infection, but not cure infection. So it'll prevent the spread in the sense of making the individual immune (thus not getting it and spreading it to others), but it won't cure the already-infected, who will continue to spread it.

Still, reducing the population of possible hosts should reduce spread, even if it'll never be complete eradication.

This is what I was concerned about. I thought maybe it just supressed the symptoms.
Well, sally forth then.

Aetius

Postby Aetius » Wed Oct 21, 2009 6:23 pm UTC

As long as AIDS and to a lesser extent herpes are still out there, this isn't going to change any patterns at all.

folkhero

Postby folkhero » Wed Oct 21, 2009 6:24 pm UTC

Of all the negative possible consequences of having sex, genital warts is pretty minor. Getting cervical cancer on the other hand is definitely a major problem. You would think that they would lead with preventing cancer in those you love. Maybe people are such bastards that warts on me is a bigger problem than cancer in someone else.
To all law enforcement entities, this is not an admission of guilt...

Belial
A terrible sound heard from a distance

Postby Belial » Wed Oct 21, 2009 6:31 pm UTC

Aetius wrote:

As long as AIDS and to a lesser extent herpes are still out there, this isn't going to change any patterns at all.

Man, podbay, I think you might've failed to properly convey your sarcasm.

That, or someone else is failing...
addams wrote:A drunk neighbor is better than a sober Belial.

They/them

Decker

Postby Decker » Wed Oct 21, 2009 6:33 pm UTC

Well, I'm just going to go with the excuse that I'm stupid.

Prefanity

Postby Prefanity » Wed Oct 21, 2009 6:38 pm UTC

folkhero wrote:Of all the negative possible consequences of having sex, genital warts is pretty minor. Getting cervical cancer on the other hand is definitely a major problem. You would think that they would lead with preventing cancer in those you love. Maybe people are such bastards that warts on me is a bigger problem than cancer in someone else.

Aren't HPV strains nigh undetectable in men? I agree that the prevention of cervical cancer is more important than the prevention of genital warts, but whereas women can get a pap smear to discover the presence of dysplasia (and, I think just HPV, but I'm not entirely certain), men only have the topical signs as proof to the virus. I wouldn't be surprised if the marketing pitch just includes genital warts because it's the measurable sign of the reduction of the spread of HPV in men.

Heisenberg

Postby Heisenberg » Wed Oct 21, 2009 7:06 pm UTC

And the much-maligned American health care system strikes again. Blah blah blah cancer cure blah blah. Next thread: Health Care CEO Effigy Burning, Great or Awesome?

Mokele

Postby Mokele » Wed Oct 21, 2009 7:24 pm UTC

Heisenberg wrote:And the much-maligned American health care system strikes again. Blah blah blah cancer cure blah blah. Next thread: Health Care CEO Effigy Burning, Great or Awesome?

Saying that the US healthcare system is responsible for this is like saying that Delta airlines is responsible for recent innovations in hypersonic aircraft.
"With malleus aforethought, mammals got an earful of their ancestor's jaw" - J. Burns, Biograffiti

Prefanity

Postby Prefanity » Wed Oct 21, 2009 8:02 pm UTC

Mokele wrote:
Heisenberg wrote:And the much-maligned American health care system strikes again. Blah blah blah cancer cure blah blah. Next thread: Health Care CEO Effigy Burning, Great or Awesome?

Saying that the US healthcare system is responsible for this is like saying that Delta airlines is responsible for recent innovations in hypersonic aircraft.

Well Merck Sharp & Dohme, the makers of Gardasil, have their company headquarters in New Jersey and... No, I'm sorry, I can't even finish. I imagine there must be some connection between America's health insurance industry and this vast pharmaceutical company, but Heisenberg is trolling.

Mokele

Postby Mokele » Wed Oct 21, 2009 9:30 pm UTC

Oh, there's a connection, but it's a one-dimensional innovator -> consumer connection. Merck doesn't give a crap what the healthcare system is, because people will still buy their vaccine, and in fact they're doing brisk business in Europe.

Honestly, I'm surprised Big Pharma isn't pushing healthcare reform or even single-payer - more people with insurance = more prescriptions = more sales.

EMTP

Postby EMTP » Wed Oct 21, 2009 9:42 pm UTC

In work that was initiated in the mid 1980s, the vaccine was developed, in parallel, by researchers at Georgetown University Medical Center, the University of Rochester, the University of Queensland in Australia, and the U.S. National Cancer Institute.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HPV_vaccine

Socialized innovation, privatized profits. The American system, indeed.
"Reasonable – that is, human – men will always be capable of compromise, but men who have dehumanized themselves by becoming the blind worshipers of an idea or an ideal are fanatics whose devotion to abstractions makes them the enemies of life."
-- Alan Watts, "The Way of Zen"

Rinsaikeru
Pawn, soon to be a Queen

Postby Rinsaikeru » Wed Oct 21, 2009 9:48 pm UTC

Here gardasil is done in middle school for girls (I think they also do Hepatitus vaccination at around that age for both genders). It's possible to opt out, but most people don't.

It makes sense for boys to be vaccinated too as they're just as likely to pass the infection along that is so likely to cause cervical cancer.
Rice Puddin.

Philwelch

Postby Philwelch » Wed Oct 21, 2009 10:06 pm UTC

Mokele wrote:Oh, there's a connection, but it's a one-dimensional innovator -> consumer connection. Merck doesn't give a crap what the healthcare system is, because people will still buy their vaccine, and in fact they're doing brisk business in Europe.

Honestly, I'm surprised Big Pharma isn't pushing healthcare reform or even single-payer - more people with insurance = more prescriptions = more sales.

Turns out when the government's the one buying all your drugs, you don't get as good a deal.
Fascism: If you're not with us you're against us.
Leftism: If you're not part of the solution you're part of the problem.

Perfection is an unattainable goal.

Walter.Horvath

Postby Walter.Horvath » Thu Oct 22, 2009 12:04 am UTC

This sounds like it would taste good, too.

Quick, preemptively shoot yourselves up!

Not A Llama

Postby Not A Llama » Thu Oct 22, 2009 1:05 am UTC

podbaydoor wrote:
Soooooo...will this promote promiscuity among young people!?

No, because we all know it's those girls that cause promiscuity.

Vaccinating boys will only spread studliness.

Omegaton

Postby Omegaton » Thu Oct 22, 2009 1:34 am UTC

Huh, I would've thought that the efficacy would've been higher. I thought Gardasil was nearly 100% effective in preventing infection in females, but I could be remembering wrong.

Aetius

Postby Aetius » Thu Oct 22, 2009 1:50 am UTC

Belial wrote:Man, podbay, I think you might've failed to properly convey your sarcasm.

That, or someone else is failing...

Yes Belial, I failed to grasp an incredibly obvious piece of sarcasm just to provide you an opportunity to feel superior because I know how much it means to you.

Or y'know, I got it and my reply wasn't a direct reply to podbaydoor but rather a general comment about the argument she referenced.

Philwelch

Postby Philwelch » Thu Oct 22, 2009 2:08 am UTC

Feeling superior is probably the main reason Belial even runs this forum. Judging from how much he posts on here he probably doesn't even have a job or anything, just this. No wonder he needs to feel superior to people.
Fascism: If you're not with us you're against us.
Leftism: If you're not part of the solution you're part of the problem.

Perfection is an unattainable goal.

Belial
A terrible sound heard from a distance

Postby Belial » Thu Oct 22, 2009 2:20 am UTC

It's so cute when they try to provoke me. Carry on.
addams wrote:A drunk neighbor is better than a sober Belial.

They/them

Prefanity

Postby Prefanity » Thu Oct 22, 2009 2:25 am UTC

Philwelch wrote:Feeling superior is probably the main reason Belial even runs this forum. Judging from how much he posts on here he probably doesn't even have a job or anything, just this. No wonder he needs to feel superior to people.

God dammit. I stopped paying attention to the WoW community forums in order to get away from shit like this.

Omegaton wrote:Huh, I would've thought that the efficacy would've been higher. I thought Gardasil was nearly 100% effective in preventing infection in females, but I could be remembering wrong.

According to Wikipedia, Gardasil protects against HPV strains six and eleven which cause ninety percent of genital warts cases, so the efficacy seems to be right were it ought to be. Also, the vaccine protects against two HPV strains (sixteen and eighteen) which cause seventy percent of cervical cancer cases (I have no idea what the marketing for Gardasil says about it's effectiveness in this area though).

Minerva

Postby Minerva » Fri Oct 23, 2009 5:58 am UTC

The Reaper wrote:'cmon herd immunity.

Evidence in Australia shows that there has been a significant reduction in genital warts across both genders so far this year following a widespread free government distribution of Gardasil for women due to herd immunity, even without giving it to men.
...suffer from the computer disease that anybody who works with computers now knows about. It's a very serious disease and it interferes completely with the work. The trouble with computers is you play with them. They are so wonderful. - Richard Feynman

Mokele

Postby Mokele » Fri Oct 23, 2009 3:24 pm UTC

Prefanity wrote:I have no idea what the marketing for Gardasil says about it's effectiveness in this area though

I've seen a few ads, and they either explicitly say 70% or just say "most" with some tiny type at the bottom of the screen.

lolguy

Postby lolguy » Fri Oct 23, 2009 3:31 pm UTC

I bet those damn kids go out and fuck eachother all over again. Oh wait...

Return to “News & Articles”