David Nutt's drug rankings

Seen something interesting in the news or on the intertubes? Discuss it here.

Moderators: Zamfir, Hawknc, Moderators General, Prelates

TheKrikkitWars

Re: David Nutt's drug rankings

Postby TheKrikkitWars » Wed Nov 04, 2009 11:15 am UTC

This figure gave me a little clarification:

Great things are done when Men & Mountains meet,
This is not Done by Jostling in the Street.

Telchar
That's Admiral 'The Hulk' Ackbar, to you sir

Postby Telchar » Thu Nov 05, 2009 1:44 am UTC

It may be true that LSD could cause latent mental disorders to be present earlier than without, or it may cause them itself. We just don't have the ability to know which it is.

In any case, it's a relatively mild drug. PCP is much worse, not just in it's outlier effects, but in the way it works as a anti-dopaminergic, similar to ketamine. And it's not even the worse psychadelic.

One other question I have, why differentiate street before methadone? Arn't we assuming unsupervised use for all of these?
Zamfir wrote:Yeah, that's a good point. Everyone is all about presumption of innocence in rape threads. But when Mexican drug lords build APCs to carry their henchmen around, we immediately jump to criminal conclusions without hard evidence.

The Reaper

Postby The Reaper » Thu Nov 05, 2009 8:37 pm UTC

The Economist's take on the matter: http://www.economist.com/opinion/displa ... extfeature

psychosomaticism

Postby psychosomaticism » Thu Nov 05, 2009 8:54 pm UTC

The Reaper wrote:The Economist's take on the matter: http://www.economist.com/opinion/displa ... extfeature

Hm. In light of that article, I think I'll lower my criticism of him a little bit (not too much, the solvent thing still gets me). A scientist/expert really should have a bit more security than to worry about an unpopular opinion killing their career, especially when there's evidence behind it. However, the drug policy crowd is a dangerous place to be a researcher, and I'm sure he knew this. It really does seem like there's a bit split between public perception and social effects of a drug vs the actual physical effects of a drug that needs to be remedied a lot.

apeman5291

Postby apeman5291 » Fri Nov 06, 2009 1:03 am UTC

psychosomaticism wrote:Hm. In light of that article, I think I'll lower my criticism of him a little bit (not too much, the solvent thing still gets me).

You realize, then, that you're no better than the British gov't in this situation?
What you don't understand, you can make mean anything.

psychosomaticism

Postby psychosomaticism » Fri Nov 06, 2009 3:58 am UTC

apeman5291 wrote:
psychosomaticism wrote:Hm. In light of that article, I think I'll lower my criticism of him a little bit (not too much, the solvent thing still gets me).

You realize, then, that you're no better than the British gov't in this situation?

Eh? I thought the British gov't was firing him because he said things they didn't like; this isn't what I meant by that. I said I was reconsidering my opinion of him, in that I thought he was putting unrealistic danger labels on drugs, when really he was of the thinking that Britain's drug laws aren't based in scientific research.

apeman5291

Postby apeman5291 » Fri Nov 06, 2009 5:22 am UTC

psychosomaticism wrote:
apeman5291 wrote:

Eh? I thought the British gov't was firing him because he said things they didn't like; this isn't what I meant by that. I said I was reconsidering my opinion of him, in that I thought he was putting unrealistic danger labels on drugs, when really he was of the thinking that Britain's drug laws aren't based in scientific research.

Oh, then I fail at reading comprehension. :oops:
What you don't understand, you can make mean anything.

psychosomaticism

Postby psychosomaticism » Fri Nov 06, 2009 6:24 am UTC

apeman5291 wrote:
psychosomaticism wrote:
apeman5291 wrote:

Oh, then I fail at reading comprehension. :oops:

Hey, no worries; I was initially worried I had said the opposite of what I had intended, and it was probably good to clarify my wording.

el_loco_avs

Postby el_loco_avs » Fri Nov 06, 2009 11:15 am UTC

Hm. Khat it is then.
You go your way.
I'll go your way too.

Zamfir
I built a novelty castle, the irony was lost on some.

Postby Zamfir » Fri Nov 06, 2009 11:18 am UTC

el_loco_avs wrote:Hm. Khat it is then.

But that's boring.

stapleface

Postby stapleface » Fri Nov 06, 2009 6:45 pm UTC

Ixtellor wrote:1) Ectasy. I don't use illegal drugs and have not for a very very long time. But if you must use drugs, I highly recommend Ectasy. Drink lots of water and you will be fine.

stop that. drink enough to replace whatever you lose, which is sound advice for pretty much every activity.

The Reaper

Postby The Reaper » Fri Nov 06, 2009 7:20 pm UTC

stapleface wrote:
Ixtellor wrote:1) Ectasy. I don't use illegal drugs and have not for a very very long time. But if you must use drugs, I highly recommend Ectasy. Drink lots of water and you will be fine.
stop that. drink enough to replace whatever you lose, which is sound advice for pretty much every activity.
Spoiler:
lol@taking 1 tablet and then drowning.
Yea, too much water is bad for you. Its not something that only happens for people on drugs, however, it also happens for soldiers and athletes and anyone else that drinks too much dihydrogen monoxide. Shits bad for you, yo.

Best advice for drugs and anything else that exists: do it in moderation.

Cynical Idealist

Postby Cynical Idealist » Fri Nov 06, 2009 8:14 pm UTC

The Reaper wrote:
stapleface wrote:
Spoiler:
Yea, too much water is bad for you. Its not something that only happens for people on drugs, however, it also happens for soldiers and athletes and anyone else that drinks too much dihydrogen monoxide. Shits bad for you, yo.

Regarding the spoiler: its water toxicity, not drowning.

Regarding doing everything in moderation: excellent advice.
Paracelsus wrote:All things are poison and nothing is without poison, only the dose permits something not to be poisonous.
The internet removes the two biggest aids in detecting sarcasm:
1)The tone of voice
2)the assumption that the other person is sane
Elvish Pillager wrote:See? All the problems in our society are caused by violent video games, like FarmVille.

The Reaper

Postby The Reaper » Fri Nov 06, 2009 10:52 pm UTC

Cynical Idealist wrote:
The Reaper wrote:
stapleface wrote:
Spoiler:

Regarding the spoiler: its water toxicity, not drowning.

Regarding doing everything in moderation: excellent advice.
Paracelsus wrote:All things are poison and nothing is without poison, only the dose permits something not to be poisonous.

Semantics. Death by water inside your body is still death by water inside your body.

Cynical Idealist

Postby Cynical Idealist » Sat Nov 07, 2009 1:10 am UTC

The Reaper wrote:<quote pyramid snipped>
Semantics. Death by water inside your body is still death by water inside your body.

And dying from a gunshot and dying from a knife wound are the same. Death by an object penetrating your body is still death by an object penetrating your body.
The internet removes the two biggest aids in detecting sarcasm:
1)The tone of voice
2)the assumption that the other person is sane
Elvish Pillager wrote:See? All the problems in our society are caused by violent video games, like FarmVille.

Return to “News & Articles”