God hates Higgs particles, sabotages LHC

Seen something interesting in the news or on the intertubes? Discuss it here.

Moderators: Zamfir, Hawknc, Moderators General, Prelates

MrGee
Posts: 998
Joined: Sat Jun 14, 2008 9:33 pm UTC

Re: God hates Higgs particles, sabotages LHC

Postby MrGee » Mon Nov 23, 2009 12:00 am UTC

The world is flat and carried on the back of four elephants!!

Also, further* shenanigans at the LHC:

http://www.sciencenews.org/view/generic ... arb_attack

*further back in the past. We are talking about time travel after all.

Lewton
Posts: 121
Joined: Tue Apr 08, 2008 9:15 am UTC

Re: God hates Higgs particles, sabotages LHC

Postby Lewton » Mon Nov 23, 2009 12:21 pm UTC

RealityPlusPlus wrote:Dumbass scientists.


did you just call some of the worlds brightest minds "dumbass scientists"?

User avatar
Aikanaro
Posts: 1801
Joined: Wed Sep 24, 2008 1:43 pm UTC
Location: Saint Louis, MO

Re: God hates Higgs particles, sabotages LHC

Postby Aikanaro » Mon Nov 23, 2009 1:22 pm UTC

RealityPlusPlus wrote:Too bad that that idea is theoretically impossible too.

Traveling back in time to prevent something from happening means that you don't have to go back to prevent it, which therefore means that you do, which therefore means that you don't... paradox.

Traveling back in time and 100% accurately seeing the future are completely impossible through paradoxicallity. Luckily neither can we see the past with 100% accuracy nor travel to the future, yet.

Dumbass scientists.

Actually, the one way something resembling time travel is hypothetically possible is if instead you operate by means of hopping parallel dimensions. If there's an infinite number of parallel dimensions out there, then there must be one that's exactly like ours was X number of years ago, or X years in the future. Of course, there's another fun set of paradoxes involved in that, but it at least removes the time travel ones :P

P.S.: "Dumbass Scientists" is only acceptable here if you're quoting HL1: "I shot twelve dumbass scientists, and not one of them fought back! This sucks!"
Dear xkcd,

On behalf of my religion, I'm sorry so many of us do dumb shit. Please forgive us.

Love, Aikanaro.

User avatar
BlackSails
Posts: 5315
Joined: Thu Dec 20, 2007 5:48 am UTC

Re: God hates Higgs particles, sabotages LHC

Postby BlackSails » Mon Nov 23, 2009 1:32 pm UTC

Parallel dimensions? Take it to the movies forum.

Klapaucius
Posts: 712
Joined: Thu Aug 21, 2008 11:00 pm UTC

Re: God hates Higgs particles, sabotages LHC

Postby Klapaucius » Mon Nov 23, 2009 2:27 pm UTC

When did News decide that science is a game of "what if" with deathly serious ramifications?

Additionally, a library is a genteel black hole, and at least one of the LHC scientists has probably already secured a crowbar and taken a vow of silence, just in case.
500%!

User avatar
Zorlin
Posts: 950
Joined: Sat May 30, 2009 2:31 am UTC
Location: Perth, Western Australia

Re: God hates Higgs particles, sabotages LHC

Postby Zorlin » Mon Nov 23, 2009 8:58 pm UTC

Klapaucius wrote:When did News decide that science is a game of "what if" with deathly serious ramifications?

Additionally, a library is a genteel black hole, and at least one of the LHC scientists has probably already secured a crowbar and taken a vow of silence, just in case.

See here.
Mysterious wizard rabbit of unknown proportions.

Check out #xkcd-hugs movie night! Watch movies with your fellow xkcdians.

Meaux_Pas wrote:You're all mad.

User avatar
RealityPlusPlus
Posts: 92
Joined: Fri Mar 13, 2009 6:18 pm UTC

Re: God hates Higgs particles, sabotages LHC

Postby RealityPlusPlus » Tue Nov 24, 2009 6:22 pm UTC

Box Boy wrote:Unless you believe that going back in time basically creates a new reality, one which you can change to your hearts content while your own one remains the same.

Well but then you aren't traveling in time but creating (and/or traveling) to other universes/realities. Real time travel requires that you stay in the dimension/universe/reality that you are currently in.
MrGee wrote:
RealityPlusPlus wrote:Too bad that that idea is theoretically impossible too.

Traveling back in time to prevent something from happening means that you don't have to go back to prevent it, which therefore means that you do, which therefore means that you don't... paradox.

Traveling back in time and 100% accurately seeing the future are completely impossible through paradoxicallity. Luckily neither can we see the past with 100% accuracy nor travel to the future, yet.

Dumbass scientists.


When you say "paradox" you mean "contradiction".

My English teacher always told me a paradox was a seeming contradiction with a subtle resolution, but the dictionary disagrees. :(

Anyway...a paradox/contradiction is in the eye of the beholder. When general relativity states that it can be 2pm for me AND midnight for someone else, that's a paradox, until you abandon the notion of absolute time.

Words words words, Whatever you CALL it, it's still impossible because the act negates the necessity of the act, negating the act, requiring the necessity of the act again... it's all loops of loops of loops.

Also, everyone's a dumbass, as no one I've heard of has figured everything out or achieved procedural infinity, so by relativity they are infinitely stupid. Scientists too.
Last edited by RealityPlusPlus on Tue Nov 24, 2009 6:28 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
When programming your reality, do you use code everyone else can understand?

Sadly, I don't.

User avatar
Habz
Posts: 131
Joined: Mon Apr 14, 2008 10:55 am UTC

Re: God hates Higgs particles, sabotages LHC

Postby Habz » Tue Nov 24, 2009 6:26 pm UTC

RealityPlusPlus wrote:Well but then you aren't traveling in time but creating (and/or traveling) to other universes/realities. Real time travel requires that you stay in the dimension/universe/reality that you are currently in.

Now, that's a matter of perspective really. One could say you're going back in time in your own timeline and jumping to another one after you've arrived in the desired moment in time. Effectively, there's no difference though...

User avatar
RealityPlusPlus
Posts: 92
Joined: Fri Mar 13, 2009 6:18 pm UTC

Re: God hates Higgs particles, sabotages LHC

Postby RealityPlusPlus » Tue Nov 24, 2009 6:33 pm UTC

Habz wrote:
RealityPlusPlus wrote:Well but then you aren't traveling in time but creating (and/or traveling) to other universes/realities. Real time travel requires that you stay in the dimension/universe/reality that you are currently in.

Now, that's a matter of perspective really. One could say you're going back in time in your own timeline and jumping to another one after you've arrived in the desired moment in time. Effectively, there's no difference though...

Well, no, because then it's not only time travel, but time travel AND more. So JUST time travel means that you are ONLY traveling through time. Throwing in other realities/whatever, means that you're no longer merely talking about time travel.

Still though, who's to know for sure, for all I know I'm completely wrong. I sure hope I am, then I get to learn!
When programming your reality, do you use code everyone else can understand?

Sadly, I don't.

User avatar
Habz
Posts: 131
Joined: Mon Apr 14, 2008 10:55 am UTC

Re: God hates Higgs particles, sabotages LHC

Postby Habz » Tue Nov 24, 2009 6:52 pm UTC

RealityPlusPlus wrote:Well, no, because then it's not only time travel, but time travel AND more. So JUST time travel means that you are ONLY traveling through time. Throwing in other realities/whatever, means that you're no longer merely talking about time travel.


True dat. Going back in time and NOT more would be pretty pointless though. Nothing would change and you'd live the same events all over again. Without even knowing you had timetraveled. Unless you were somehow 'not part' of the particular reality, in which case you'd already be in a whole other reality to begin with...

I've never liked the idea of traveling back in time. The notion is just utterly stupid.


Return to “News & Articles”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 14 guests