Palin-Beck 2012!

Seen something interesting in the news or on the intertubes? Discuss it here.

Moderators: Zamfir, Hawknc, Moderators General, Prelates

Spacemilk

Palin-Beck 2012!

Postby Spacemilk » Thu Nov 19, 2009 4:51 pm UTC

Alright, maybe this doesn't count as news, per se, because there is no confirmation. But a recent quote by Sarah Palin hints that this Cthulhu-level nightmare may be possible:

Source
Text:
Spoiler:
In a new interview with Newsmax, former Alaska governor Sarah Palin hinted that a “dream ticket” of Palin and Fox News host Glenn Beck is not out of the question:

“I can envision a couple of different combinations, if ever I were to be in a position to really even seriously consider running for anything in the future, and I’m not there yet,” Palin tells Newsmax. “But Glenn Beck I have great respect for. He’s a hoot. He gets his message across in such a clever way. And he’s so bold – I have to respect that. He calls it like he sees it, and he’s very, very, very effective.”

Palin is a big Beck fan. In August, she wrote on her Facebook page, “FOX News’ Glenn Beck is doing an extraordinary job this week walking America behind the scenes of 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue and outlining who is actually running the White House. Monday night he asked us to invite one friend to watch; tonight I invite all my friends to watch.” Maybe they could go up against Michele Bachmann and Steve King? (HT: Ben Smith)
milk from space is good for you!

BlackSails

Re: Palin-Beck 2012!

Postby BlackSails » Thu Nov 19, 2009 4:52 pm UTC

Thank you so very much for ruining my entire day.

Rakysh

Postby Rakysh » Thu Nov 19, 2009 4:57 pm UTC

Are you kidding? That would be suicide. Every moderate republican ever would have to vote Obama, presuming he is the candidate.

setzer777
Good questions sometimes get stupid answers

Postby setzer777 » Thu Nov 19, 2009 4:59 pm UTC

Yeah, I'm going to have to vote: "That would never happen in a million years". I'm pretty sure the Republican party isn't delusional enough to think that would work.
Meaux_Pas wrote:We're here to go above and beyond.

Too infinity
of being an arsehole

Dauric
Location: In midair, traversing laterally over a container of sharks. No water, just sharks, with lasers.

Postby Dauric » Thu Nov 19, 2009 5:09 pm UTC

I'd have to agree that it would be party suicide to actually nominate such a pair, however I imagine no limits on the capability for stupidity of any group when you combine fanaticism and desperation. Given that the Republican Party hierarchy has repeatedly given more credence to talk-show hosts that have never materialized the voting power that they claim to represent over the rank-and-file Republicans that would like the people representing them to stop being batshit insane, I put nothing past them at this point.

It maybe unlikely, but I don't think it's impossible to be that stupid.
We're in the traffic-chopper over the XKCD boards where there's been a thread-derailment. A Liquified Godwin spill has evacuated threads in a fourty-post radius of the accident, Lolcats and TVTropes have broken free of their containers. It is believed that the Point has perished.

The Reaper

Postby The Reaper » Thu Nov 19, 2009 5:10 pm UTC

Enjoy your imminent doom, america.

(I lol'd)

scrovak

Postby scrovak » Thu Nov 19, 2009 5:15 pm UTC

BlackSails wrote:Thank you so very much for ruining my entire month.

Fix'd
MrGee wrote:I would never eat a person. Have you seen the conditions they're raised in?
kapojinha wrote:You're amazing, which is why I'm going to marry you.

Angua wrote:coordinated baby attacks

Paranoid__Android

Postby Paranoid__Android » Thu Nov 19, 2009 5:22 pm UTC

I don't understand what's going on....

are they talking about running for president or something?
The Great Hippo wrote:Paranoid__Android,
... truly, you are a champion among champions. ...

frezik

Postby frezik » Thu Nov 19, 2009 5:24 pm UTC

Tangently related: Nate Silver and Tom Schaller have a running debate/bet over Palin running. Schaller lists out all the rational reasons why Palin wouldn't run, while Silver (more realistically, IMHO) notes that Palin's success largely comes from being impulsive, not rational, and therefore she'll end up running despite a lot of good reasons not to.
I do not agree with the beer you drink, but will defend to the death your right to drink it

Telchar
That's Admiral 'The Hulk' Ackbar, to you sir

Postby Telchar » Thu Nov 19, 2009 5:29 pm UTC

Nightmare?

That would be awesome. Daily Show ratings aside, it would quite literally be the best thing Obama could want ever. The crazy right needs more publicity so the average independent voter can go "WTF?!" and stop believing the monotony of "truths" the right has been spouting for years...like socialized medicine=bad.
Zamfir wrote:Yeah, that's a good point. Everyone is all about presumption of innocence in rape threads. But when Mexican drug lords build APCs to carry their henchmen around, we immediately jump to criminal conclusions without hard evidence.

Dauric
Location: In midair, traversing laterally over a container of sharks. No water, just sharks, with lasers.

Postby Dauric » Thu Nov 19, 2009 5:30 pm UTC

Paranoid__Android wrote:I don't understand what's going on....

are they talking about running for president or something?

Palin was asked about the possbility she would run for POTUS in an interview, and who her running mate would be, and one of the possibilities that she mentions is Glen Beck.
We're in the traffic-chopper over the XKCD boards where there's been a thread-derailment. A Liquified Godwin spill has evacuated threads in a fourty-post radius of the accident, Lolcats and TVTropes have broken free of their containers. It is believed that the Point has perished.

Velict

Postby Velict » Thu Nov 19, 2009 5:40 pm UTC

Telchar wrote:Nightmare?

That would be awesome. Daily Show ratings aside, it would quite literally be the best thing Obama could want ever. The crazy right needs more publicity so the average independent voter can go "WTF?!" and stop believing the monotony of "truths" the right has been spouting for years...like socialized medicine=bad.

Yeah, this ticket would pretty much assure Obama's reelection.

Endless Mike

Postby Endless Mike » Thu Nov 19, 2009 5:42 pm UTC

I doubt that even if she made it through the primaries, that the RNC would approve of Beck as a running mate.

spiderham

Postby spiderham » Thu Nov 19, 2009 5:42 pm UTC

She doesn't say who would be P and VP.
I guess they could decide that after the election.

The Reaper

Postby The Reaper » Thu Nov 19, 2009 5:42 pm UTC

Velict wrote:
Telchar wrote:Nightmare?

Yeah, this ticket would pretty much assure Obama's reelection.

And thus, the NWO at work.

Ixtellor
There are like 4 posters on XKCD that no more about ...

Postby Ixtellor » Thu Nov 19, 2009 5:46 pm UTC

Also this week:

We are all going to die in 2012, according to some readings of the Mayan calander.

You can safely file both of these 'news' stories in: NEVER going to happen.

Maybe you don't understand presidential politics but here are asome big hints: New Hampshire, open primaries, opposition research, and Issue Ads.

Its like saying "I heard that Obama might step down and allow Michelle and Oprah to run as a dual women ticket!"

Ixtellor
The Revolution will not be Twitterized.

Cynical Idealist

Postby Cynical Idealist » Thu Nov 19, 2009 5:49 pm UTC

Ixtellor wrote:We are all going to die in 2012, according to some readings of the Mayan calander.

NEW THEORY:
We're all going to die in 2013, shortly after Palin & Beck take office.
The internet removes the two biggest aids in detecting sarcasm:
1)The tone of voice
2)the assumption that the other person is sane
Elvish Pillager wrote:See? All the problems in our society are caused by violent video games, like FarmVille.

Belial
A terrible sound heard from a distance

Postby Belial » Thu Nov 19, 2009 5:51 pm UTC

Cynical Idealist wrote:
Ixtellor wrote:We are all going to die in 2012, according to some readings of the Mayan calander.

NEW THEORY:
We're all going to die in 2013, shortly after Palin & Beck take office.

Actually, the calendar supposedly ends in december, which would be when the post-election riots would be really hitting their stride
addams wrote:A drunk neighbor is better than a sober Belial.

They/them

Velict

Postby Velict » Thu Nov 19, 2009 5:53 pm UTC

Ixtellor wrote:Also this week:

We are all going to die in 2012, according to some readings of the Mayan calander.

You can safely file both of these 'news' stories in: NEVER going to happen.

Maybe you don't understand presidential politics but here are asome big hints: New Hampshire, open primaries, opposition research, and Issue Ads.

Its like saying "I heard that Obama might step down and allow Michelle and Oprah to run as a dual women ticket!"

Ixtellor

You're probably right. I don't have much faith in my party, but I doubt they will put Palin back on a ticket any time soon. Most of the focus seems to be on Romney and Pawlenty.

Ixtellor
There are like 4 posters on XKCD that no more about ...

Postby Ixtellor » Thu Nov 19, 2009 6:27 pm UTC

Velict wrote:You're probably right. I don't have much faith in my party, but I doubt they will put Palin back on a ticket any time soon. Most of the focus seems to be on Romney and Pawlenty.

I don't think Romney has a chance.
How is he going to win primaries in the south when he is:
a) mormon
b) passed healthcare legislation strikingly similar to the democrats bill -- did anyone mention they are going bankrupt over it?

Pawlenty:
I think he would be a great choice, but his biggest problem is going to be winning closed primaries. There is a lot of moderate fodder that ultra-orthodox conservatives can use to smear him with.

None of this is really relevant though. The candidate Republicans choose will just be ceremonial because the economy is going to determine who wins. If the economy continues a downward spiral, Obama will lose to whoever wins the nomination. If the economy turns a corner and all things are up and rising, he will win re-election.

Ixtellor
The Revolution will not be Twitterized.

Heisenberg

Postby Heisenberg » Thu Nov 19, 2009 6:32 pm UTC

Ixtellor wrote:If the economy continues a downward spiral, Obama will lose to whoever wins the nomination. If the economy turns a corner and all things are up and rising, he will win re-election.

And since the economy recovers from recession naturally, I wouldn't be terribly surprised to see Palin nominated as "Candidate Who Has No Chance."

Spacemilk

Postby Spacemilk » Thu Nov 19, 2009 7:06 pm UTC

First of all: This post was a JOKE. Get it? You know, something you laugh at, right after the terror wears off? I understand that Palin has a snowball's chance in hell of making it past the primary, much less getting elected, and with Glenn Beck there's even less of a chance.

So everyone crying about how this isn't a "news" story: No shit, I put that in the fucking OP, I'm aware that it barely counts. I posted it as a joke since I knew it would give most people on these boards an aneurysm.

Second of all: I do think Palin will attempt to run. She'll go for months and months about how she can't, oh no, she wants to focus on her family... then BLAM-O! Out of nowhere she'll come riding in bareback on her barely-tamed bull moose, shotgun over her shoulder, ready to rescue American politics from itself, the way you rescue a darling kitten out of a tree! She'll bill herself as American's lipstick-wearing vigilante savior-rogue hockey mom, and she will firmly believe that she's the best thing to happen to us since sliced bread. Her defeat will be delicious and priceless.
milk from space is good for you!

Heisenberg

Postby Heisenberg » Thu Nov 19, 2009 7:09 pm UTC

Spacemilk wrote:Out of nowhere she'll come riding in bareback on her barely-tamed bull moose,
If that happens, I will vote for her simply out of respect for Zombie Teddy Roosevelt.

Thadlerian

Postby Thadlerian » Thu Nov 19, 2009 7:20 pm UTC

Spacemilk wrote:Second of all: I do think Palin will attempt to run. She'll go for months and months about how she can't, oh no, she wants to focus on her family... then BLAM-O! Out of nowhere she'll come riding in bareback on her barely-tamed bull moose, shotgun over her shoulder, ready to rescue American politics from itself, the way you rescue a darling kitten out of a tree! She'll bill herself as American's lipstick-wearing vigilante savior-rogue hockey mom, and she will firmly believe that she's the best thing to happen to us since sliced bread. Her defeat will be delicious and priceless.

Something like this, in other words? (link is completely SFW)

tzvibish

Postby tzvibish » Thu Nov 19, 2009 7:58 pm UTC

I'm sorry, but you don't resign from being governor of Alaska because of the pressure and then go on to be President.
-Featuring the Comic Strip XKCD!

GreaterSteven

Postby GreaterSteven » Thu Nov 19, 2009 8:05 pm UTC

I believe that's working under the assumption that she resigned from governor of Alaska because of the pressure.

Bright Shadows

Postby Bright Shadows » Thu Nov 19, 2009 8:26 pm UTC

o_o
0_0
O_O

To be fair I don't pay enough attention to Palin's specific standings to make an issue of her, but Beck doing anything that is legitimately related to politics is terrifying.

To be honest, I'm pretty sure Huckabee - Colbert is the Republican's best chance, but that might be me being silly. I'm not sure yet.

Heisenberg

Postby Heisenberg » Thu Nov 19, 2009 8:39 pm UTC

Bright Shadows wrote:To be honest, I'm pretty sure Huckabee - Colbert is the Republican's best chance,

You expect Colbert to stay in character for four years straight?

Dauric

Postby Dauric » Thu Nov 19, 2009 9:06 pm UTC

Heisenberg wrote:
Bright Shadows wrote:To be honest, I'm pretty sure Huckabee - Colbert is the Republican's best chance,

You expect Colbert to stay in character for four years straight?

Given the number of people that can't tell Colbert is doing satire of the Republican party and not actually a Republican himself, I chalk it up to one or a combination of 2 things:

1) Satire is often identified by exaggeration, picking on some attribute of the subject being satirized and blow it all out of proportion to absolutely ludicrous levels. However Colbert is seen as an actual Republican often enough that the Republican party (IE: it's leadership and the people who speak for the party in the media) are already at the Ludicrous stage and it's not possible to exaggerate their behavior.

and/or

2) Colbert doesn't communicate satire well. I've seen a few episodes of his show after seeing some News-Hour debates that cover related topics and Colbert's often point-for-point saying the same thing as the conservative commentators on News Hour. I frequently feel like the punchline is missing when he moves on to his next topic.

I usually think it's a mix of the two options, a Republican Leadership enamored of the ridiculous talking points and 'Leadership' of personalities like Limbaugh and Beck making the political universe stranger than Colbert has the ability to exaggerate.

Heisenberg

Postby Heisenberg » Thu Nov 19, 2009 9:20 pm UTC

I'm going with

3) A few people think Colbert is what a Republican looks like because they don't really understand Republicans.

This could be because they only encounter caricatures or because they're not that into politics anyway, so they don't care enough to understand either side.

Freakish

Postby Freakish » Thu Nov 19, 2009 9:55 pm UTC

Life's a joke.
Freakish Inc. We completely understand the public’s concern about futuristic robots feeding on the human population

frezik

Postby frezik » Thu Nov 19, 2009 9:56 pm UTC

Heisenberg wrote:I'm going with

3) A few people think Colbert is what a Republican looks like because they don't really understand Republicans.

This could be because they only encounter caricatures or because they're not that into politics anyway, so they don't care enough to understand either side.

That would explain the data if it was independents and liberals who thought Colbert was being serious. Except the data shows that conservatives are more likely to think so:

Additionally, there was no significant difference between the groups in thinking Colbert was funny, but conservatives were more likely to report that Colbert only pretends to be joking and genuinely meant what he said while liberals were more likely to report that Colbert used satire and was not serious when offering political statements. Conservatism also significantly predicted perceptions that Colbert disliked liberalism.
I do not agree with the beer you drink, but will defend to the death your right to drink it

Telchar
That's Admiral 'The Hulk' Ackbar, to you sir

Postby Telchar » Thu Nov 19, 2009 10:05 pm UTC

So Palin is signing books at a Borders where I live on Tues. Apparently Tina Fey doesn't have a book out that I can try and get her to sign. Thoughts? I could try and get a copy of the pr0n they made, or try to get her to sign a Harry Potter book, but I figured I'd get the forums thoughts.
Zamfir wrote:Yeah, that's a good point. Everyone is all about presumption of innocence in rape threads. But when Mexican drug lords build APCs to carry their henchmen around, we immediately jump to criminal conclusions without hard evidence.

Walter.Horvath

Postby Walter.Horvath » Thu Nov 19, 2009 10:36 pm UTC

Somehow acquire the book that 'Tina Fey' wrote in 30 Rock, but that wouldn't have her real name on it, and would probably only confuse her more.

A poster?

Dauric

Postby Dauric » Thu Nov 19, 2009 10:37 pm UTC

frezik wrote:
Heisenberg wrote:I'm going with

That would explain the data if it was independents and liberals who thought Colbert was being serious. Except the data shows that conservatives are more likely to think so:

Though these two points may not be mutually exclusive. People may join the Republican party without really understanding what it really is about, simply to belong to a community. Then by not understanding it, or being in to politics enough to understand it, they believe the satire caricatures and/or the "Shock Entertainers" are what the party actually stands for as a viable and intellectual position.

Woofsie

Postby Woofsie » Thu Nov 19, 2009 11:17 pm UTC

Telchar wrote:So Palin is signing books at a Borders where I live on Tues. Apparently Tina Fey doesn't have a book out that I can try and get her to sign. Thoughts? I could try and get a copy of the pr0n they made, or try to get her to sign a Harry Potter book, but I figured I'd get the forums thoughts.

Obama's autobiography?

Malice

Postby Malice » Thu Nov 19, 2009 11:33 pm UTC

Telchar wrote:So Palin is signing books at a Borders where I live on Tues. Apparently Tina Fey doesn't have a book out that I can try and get her to sign. Thoughts? I could try and get a copy of the pr0n they made, or try to get her to sign a Harry Potter book, but I figured I'd get the forums thoughts.

Try this.

BlackSails

Postby BlackSails » Thu Nov 19, 2009 11:53 pm UTC

Get her to sign a piece of paper, telling her that its a copy of the constitution.

In secret, it is actually a contract promising that you get to be her running mate if she runs, in exchange for a dollar. Make sure you have it notarized and witnessed.

Ivora

Postby Ivora » Fri Nov 20, 2009 1:04 am UTC

Palin cannot and will not be the first female president... she is the anti-role model. :roll:

fjafjan
THE fjafjan

Postby fjafjan » Fri Nov 20, 2009 1:32 am UTC

This topic is a testament to the breakdown of satire in the United States.
//Yepp, THE fjafjan (who's THE fjafjan?)
Liza wrote:Fjafjan, your hair is so lovely that I want to go to Sweden, collect the bit you cut off in your latest haircut and keep it in my room, and smell it. And eventually use it to complete my shrine dedicated to you.

Return to “News & Articles”