Norwegian Spiral

Seen something interesting in the news or on the intertubes? Discuss it here.

Moderators: Zamfir, Hawknc, Moderators General, Prelates

sstpm

Norwegian Spiral

Postby sstpm » Wed Dec 09, 2009 10:25 pm UTC

http://gizmodo.com/5422574/giant-mysterious-spiral-takes-over-the-skies-of-norway?skyline=true&s=i

Any ideas?

First thought is some kind of sky projection via laser or something, but if you look at the various photos, this seems unlikely. It looks for all the world as if something is physically there.

I don't know if this builds the case for this being a (awesome) hoax, but Obama is going to be in Norway tomorrow.

Technical Ben

Re: Norwegian Spiral

Postby Technical Ben » Wed Dec 09, 2009 10:48 pm UTC

My first thoughts from the video is "it's projected form the ground" like the light show that was done in London as a giant advert (AFAIK). The other pictures look like mock ups and "artistic" representations.
The close up videos and real photos help to show what it really is. Apparently it's a failed missile test, and it spiralled out of control. It span on the spot for a few minuets and left a cool trail. I've done it in many a pc game myself. Think the test crew were just bored! :lol:
It's all physics and stamp collecting.
It's not a particle or a wave. It's just an exchange.

longs

Postby longs » Wed Dec 09, 2009 11:57 pm UTC

I saw this on the TV and immediately searched for it online. It's amazing!! My mind is blown!!

One explanation I've seen a few times says that it's a rocket spinning out of control. Someone rendered the idea and posted a youtube video that explains it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zx8i5EfmYU4

Here is a photo!
Spoiler:

(from a Norwegian site: http://www.nrk.no/nyheter/distrikt/nordland/1.6902336)
the participle.

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Thu Dec 10, 2009 12:06 am UTC

There's a Science Forum discussion of it, as well.

viewtopic.php?f=18&t=52707
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

Texas_Ben

Postby Texas_Ben » Thu Dec 10, 2009 1:05 am UTC

Warp Storm.

scrovak

Postby scrovak » Thu Dec 10, 2009 1:16 am UTC

Pretty cool looking, I must say
MrGee wrote:I would never eat a person. Have you seen the conditions they're raised in?
kapojinha wrote:You're amazing, which is why I'm going to marry you.

Angua wrote:coordinated baby attacks

Chfan

Postby Chfan » Thu Dec 10, 2009 2:54 am UTC

It's apparently a Russian missile test, Maddow says.
Just FYI, the guy isn't avatar isn't me. But he seems pretty cool.

LuNatic

Postby LuNatic » Thu Dec 10, 2009 5:42 am UTC

EVERYBODY PANIC!
Cynical Idealist wrote:
Velict wrote:Good Jehova, there are cheesegraters on the blagotube!

This is, for some reason, one of the funniest things I've read today.

scrovak

Postby scrovak » Thu Dec 10, 2009 5:48 am UTC

LuNatic wrote:EVERYBODY PANIC!

THIS, FOR THE LOVE OF GOD THIS!!!
MrGee wrote:I would never eat a person. Have you seen the conditions they're raised in?
kapojinha wrote:You're amazing, which is why I'm going to marry you.

Angua wrote:coordinated baby attacks

Kyrn

Postby Kyrn » Thu Dec 10, 2009 5:54 am UTC

scrovak wrote:
LuNatic wrote:EVERYBODY PANIC!

THIS, FOR THE LOVE OF GOD THIS!!!

DON'T PANIC
I am NOT a snake.

Opinions discussed are not necessarily the opinions of the people discussing them.

Hawknc
Oompa Loompa of SCIENCE!

Postby Hawknc » Thu Dec 10, 2009 6:17 am UTC

I don't know about you guys, but I'm keeping a crowbar by my bedside just in case headcrabs start raining from the sky.

Kyrn

Postby Kyrn » Thu Dec 10, 2009 6:24 am UTC

Hawknc wrote:I don't know about you guys, but I'm keeping a crowbar by my bedside just in case headcrabs start raining from the sky.

Don't forget a towel too.
I am NOT a snake.

Opinions discussed are not necessarily the opinions of the people discussing them.

Woxor

Postby Woxor » Thu Dec 10, 2009 6:34 am UTC

Jeez, guys, this happens every year. The Nobel Peace Prize descends from a magical spiral in the sky and is given to the purest of heart and noblest of soul, and at the end of the year the recipient is sucked back up into the vortex. Why do you think everyone was so mad about Obama getting it?

Osha

Postby Osha » Thu Dec 10, 2009 7:04 am UTC

From the article
So barring any epic group joke, expect your new alien overlords to arrive at any time now. We can only hope they are all peace-loving voluptuous blondes with blue eyes

Was that really necessary?

AngrySquirrel
Hellish Sex Goddess

Postby AngrySquirrel » Thu Dec 10, 2009 7:32 am UTC

It was a failed Russian missile test. Don't have any English source for it, but here it is in Norwegian at least.
Putting the fist into pacifist.

they/them/theirs

Hawknc
Oompa Loompa of SCIENCE!

Postby Hawknc » Thu Dec 10, 2009 7:39 am UTC

While I'm sure the missile test is precisely the correct answer, I just love how it's the sort of cover story you'd expect in a narrative where world destruction was narrowly avoided thanks to a plucky hero and his beautiful, intelligent yet utterly disposable female companion.

Gelsamel
Lame and emo

Postby Gelsamel » Thu Dec 10, 2009 7:58 am UTC

Hawknc wrote:While I'm sure the missile test is precisely the correct answer, I just love how it's the sort of cover story you'd expect in a narrative where world destruction was narrowly avoided thanks to a plucky hero and his beautiful, intelligent yet utterly disposable female companion.

This is the exact same thing I thought when I first heard it; "That probably is it... funny that that just happens to be the exact explanation you'd imagine given for a coverup of something like this"
"Give up here?"
- > No
"Do you accept defeat?"
- > No
"Do you think games are silly little things?"
- > No
"Is it all pointless?"
- > No
"Do you admit there is no meaning to this world?"
- > No

Jahoclave
sourmilk's moderator

Postby Jahoclave » Thu Dec 10, 2009 10:14 am UTC

Okay, seriously, can nobody fucking test fire a missile properly anymore? Somebody get our shit out so we can show the rest of the world the simple concept of launching a fucking rocket. Maybe we should go buy the world a few of these so that they can start small and work their way up to the big leagues. Seriously, these were the people we were afraid of being nuked by? Sheesh, the Axis of Evil, the Semi-Evil, and those other guys we don't particularly like are really starting to look like the Axis of Fail.

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Thu Dec 10, 2009 10:59 am UTC

Jahoclave wrote:Okay, seriously, can nobody fucking test fire a missile properly anymore? Somebody get our shit out so we can show the rest of the world the simple concept of launching a fucking rocket. Maybe we should go buy the world a few of these so that they can start small and work their way up to the big leagues. Seriously, these were the people we were afraid of being nuked by? Sheesh, the Axis of Evil, the Semi-Evil, and those other guys we don't particularly like are really starting to look like the Axis of Fail.

That's why it was a test firing, not a operational one. Test firings are supposed to expose problems like that. They're just not usually quite that spectacular.
What would Baron Harkonnen do?

Technical Ben

Postby Technical Ben » Thu Dec 10, 2009 11:03 am UTC

longs wrote:I saw this on the TV and immediately searched for it online. It's amazing!! My mind is blown!!

One explanation I've seen a few times says that it's a rocket spinning out of control. Someone rendered the idea and posted a youtube video that explains it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zx8i5EfmYU4

Here is a photo!
Spoiler:

(from a Norwegian site: http://www.nrk.no/nyheter/distrikt/nordland/1.6902336)

Thank you longs, that video had exactly what I wanted to say, but did not know how to word it. :oops: A missile with two trails would make this image, and the larger spiral is not a "disc" as many think, just viewed from the angle that it looks like one. I hope you post that in "science" as well, as there is a discussion there on it. :)
It's all physics and stamp collecting.
It's not a particle or a wave. It's just an exchange.

Shadowfish

Postby Shadowfish » Thu Dec 10, 2009 6:36 pm UTC

So, does it scare anyone else that Russia is testing ICBMs?
I'm mostly a lurker. I lurk. Kind of like a fish, in the shadows.

Duban

Postby Duban » Thu Dec 10, 2009 7:38 pm UTC

Shadowfish wrote:So, does it scare anyone else that Russia is testing ICBMs?

No, why would it? Did you think the US and Russia stopped testing missiles in 1987? Both countries have agreed not to stockpile weapons en' masse and won't escalate their cold war anymore, but that doesn't mean they're going to stop storing or testing weapons.
It is not the gods I fear. No, It is those who claim to speak for them that concern me.

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Thu Dec 10, 2009 7:55 pm UTC

Duban wrote:

No, why would it? Did you think the US and Russia stopped testing missiles in 1987? Both countries have agreed not to stockpile weapons en' masse and won't escalate their cold war anymore, but that doesn't mean they're going to stop storing or testing weapons.

Also, rocket does not automatically mean ICBM.

Of course the Russians are doing missile tests. They need to update their missile technology just as much as we do, and live fire tests are part of that. Oh and I imagine that one probably was an ICBM. The spiral was too regular to have occurred in the lower atmosphere, that was happening right on the edge of space. That's ICBM territory.

Decker

Postby Decker » Thu Dec 10, 2009 9:05 pm UTC

Jahoclave wrote:Okay, seriously, can nobody fucking test fire a missile properly anymore? Somebody get our shit out so we can show the rest of the world the simple concept of launching a fucking rocket.

Yeah! I mean it's not like it takes a rocket scientist to...oh...wait...
I was angry with my friend. I told my wrath. My wrath did end.
I was angry with my foe. I told it not. My wrath did grow.

faranim

Postby faranim » Thu Dec 10, 2009 9:46 pm UTC

Jahoclave
sourmilk's moderator

Postby Jahoclave » Fri Dec 11, 2009 12:01 am UTC

SlyReaper wrote:
Jahoclave wrote:Okay, seriously, can nobody fucking test fire a missile properly anymore? Somebody get our shit out so we can show the rest of the world the simple concept of launching a fucking rocket. Maybe we should go buy the world a few of these so that they can start small and work their way up to the big leagues. Seriously, these were the people we were afraid of being nuked by? Sheesh, the Axis of Evil, the Semi-Evil, and those other guys we don't particularly like are really starting to look like the Axis of Fail.

That's why it was a test firing, not a operational one. Test firings are supposed to expose problems like that. They're just not usually quite that spectacular.

Yeah, but so were North Korea's failure and Iran's failures.

Shadowfish

Postby Shadowfish » Fri Dec 11, 2009 3:58 am UTC

SlyReaper wrote:
Duban wrote:

Also, rocket does not automatically mean ICBM.

Of course the Russians are doing missile tests. They need to update their missile technology just as much as we do, and live fire tests are part of that. Oh and I imagine that one probably was an ICBM. The spiral was too regular to have occurred in the lower atmosphere, that was happening right on the edge of space. That's ICBM territory.

Yeah, I guess its not that surprising that Russia is testing ICBMs.
I'm mostly a lurker. I lurk. Kind of like a fish, in the shadows.

Nomic

Postby Nomic » Sat Dec 12, 2009 10:27 pm UTC

It doesn't look like a rocket tho. An out of controll missile would most likely not create a perfect spiral like that, nor glow with blue light. Not to mention there was no signs of the missile. One would assume that after it's fuel started to run out, it would be unable to maintain the spiral trajectory, and we'd see the smoketrail starting to head off towards ground.

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Sat Dec 12, 2009 10:35 pm UTC

Nomic wrote:It doesn't look like a rocket tho. An out of controll missile would most likely not create a perfect spiral like that, nor glow with blue light. Not to mention there was no signs of the missile. One would assume that after it's fuel started to run out, it would be unable to maintain the spiral trajectory, and we'd see the smoketrail starting to head off towards ground.

The missile itself is too far away to be seen. You see, it wasn't following the path of the spiral, it was in the centre, spinning, and ejecting its propellant. That's what created the spiral.

poxic
Eloquently Prismatic

Postby poxic » Sat Dec 12, 2009 10:54 pm UTC

So I went back to the story and pics in the OP, and sure enough there were some related stories on the side:

- Aliens Invading Russia in the Middle of Winter
- The Truth: Mysterious Spiral Explanation Actually Was Alien Sighting Cover-Up

Ah yes, the crazies. What would we do without them?
A man who is 'ill-adjusted' to the world is always on the verge of finding himself. One who is adjusted to the world never finds himself, but gets to be a cabinet minister.
- Hermann Hesse, novelist, poet, Nobel laureate (2 Jul 1877-1962)

Jahoclave
sourmilk's moderator

Postby Jahoclave » Sat Dec 12, 2009 11:15 pm UTC

poxic wrote:So I went back to the story and pics in the OP, and sure enough there were some related stories on the side:

- Aliens Invading Russia in the Middle of Winter
- The Truth: Mysterious Spiral Explanation Actually Was Alien Sighting Cover-Up

Ah yes, the crazies. What would we do without them?

Make up this crazy shit ourselves and have a good laugh?

Arancaytar

Postby Arancaytar » Sun Dec 13, 2009 8:26 pm UTC

show the rest of the world the simple concept of launching a fucking rocket.

If it were simple, NASA would still be using the space shuttle...
"You cannot dual-wield the sharks. One is enough." -Our DM.

Jahoclave
sourmilk's moderator

Postby Jahoclave » Sun Dec 13, 2009 9:06 pm UTC

Arancaytar wrote:
show the rest of the world the simple concept of launching a fucking rocket.

If it were simple, NASA would still be using the space shuttle...

There's a difference, the space shuttle isn't used to blow shit up. Our shit designed to blow shit up works extremely well. Which is why I propose a campaign to convince people that the terrorists are building a base on Mars.

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Sun Dec 13, 2009 9:27 pm UTC

Nomic wrote:It doesn't look like a rocket tho. An out of controll missile would most likely not create a perfect spiral like that

You've seen a lot of out-of-control missiles, have you?
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

Jahoclave
sourmilk's moderator

Postby Jahoclave » Sun Dec 13, 2009 9:51 pm UTC

gmalivuk wrote:
Nomic wrote:It doesn't look like a rocket tho. An out of controll missile would most likely not create a perfect spiral like that

You've seen a lot of out-of-control missiles, have you?

You know me, I just run-a-long down to tha missile shoot'in range in ma pickup with ma pa, crack open a case a bud and watch'em blast missiles all day long.

Paranoid__Android

Postby Paranoid__Android » Mon Dec 14, 2009 1:09 am UTC

Although apparently these missiles are meant to have a self destruct mechanism so that if they go off course they instantly explode, so it wouldn't have had the chance to do the whole spiral thing...

or at least that's what my dad just said
The Great Hippo wrote:Paranoid__Android,
... truly, you are a champion among champions. ...

Gelsamel
Lame and emo

Postby Gelsamel » Mon Dec 14, 2009 1:27 am UTC

That's the most irregular looking 'perfect spiral' I've ever seen.
"Give up here?"
- > No
"Do you accept defeat?"
- > No
"Do you think games are silly little things?"
- > No
"Is it all pointless?"
- > No
"Do you admit there is no meaning to this world?"
- > No

Cynical Idealist

Postby Cynical Idealist » Mon Dec 14, 2009 1:49 am UTC

Paranoid__Android wrote:Although apparently these missiles are meant to have a self destruct mechanism so that if they go off course they instantly explode, so it wouldn't have had the chance to do the whole spiral thing...

I'm guessing either it failed or for some reason wasn't installed in the first place.
The internet removes the two biggest aids in detecting sarcasm:
1)The tone of voice
2)the assumption that the other person is sane
Elvish Pillager wrote:See? All the problems in our society are caused by violent video games, like FarmVille.

Jeroen B

Postby Jeroen B » Mon Dec 14, 2009 7:54 am UTC

Cynical Idealist wrote:
Paranoid__Android wrote:Although apparently these missiles are meant to have a self destruct mechanism so that if they go off course they instantly explode, so it wouldn't have had the chance to do the whole spiral thing...

I'm guessing either it failed or for some reason wasn't installed in the first place.

Or it didn't go off course, and everything proceeded as planned

Why do missiles always have to blow things up or go to the moon, can't they just make pretty spirals sometimes?

Kyrn

Postby Kyrn » Mon Dec 14, 2009 8:07 am UTC

Jeroen B wrote:
Cynical Idealist wrote:

Or it didn't go off course, and everything proceeded as planned

Why do missiles always have to blow things up or go to the moon, can't they just make pretty spirals sometimes?

I think those type of missiles are often known as "fireworks".
I am NOT a snake.

Return to “News & Articles”