Boy kills massive hog

Seen something interesting in the news or on the intertubes? Discuss it here.

Moderators: Zamfir, Hawknc, Moderators General, Prelates

Peshmerga
Mad Hatter

Boy kills massive hog

Postby Peshmerga » Fri May 25, 2007 9:04 pm UTC

http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id ... mage=large

An 11-year-old Alabama boy used a pistol to kill a wild hog his father says weighed a staggering 1,051 pounds and measured 9-feet-4 from the tip of its snout to the base of its tail. Think hams as big as car tires.

Jamison, who killed his first deer at age 5, was hunting with father Mike Stone and two guides in east Alabama on May 3 when he bagged Hogzilla II. He said he shot the huge animal eight times with a .50- caliber revolver and chased it for three hours through hilly woods before finishing it off with a point-blank shot.

This is kind of sickening, although I'm also slightly apathetic. That's one huge fucking boar.
Last edited by Peshmerga on Fri May 25, 2007 9:51 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
i hurd u liek mudkips???

bbctol
Super Deluxe Forum Title of DESTINYâ„¢

Postby bbctol » Fri May 25, 2007 9:08 pm UTC

That's... huge. Really fucking huge. That is an amazingly giant boar.

I would respond to the article, but whenever I try I just keep typing "That is a giant fucking boar". Holy crap.

Gordon
Dr. Banana
Dr. Banana

Postby Gordon » Fri May 25, 2007 9:17 pm UTC

WTF

Seriously. That's disgusting.
Meaux_Pas wrote:
RealGrouchy wrote:I still remember the time when Gordon left. I still wake up in the middle of the night crying and screaming his name.
I do that too, but for an entirely different reason.
RealGrouchy wrote:
Gordon wrote:How long have I been asleep?!
Our daughter is in high school now.

EradicateIV

Postby EradicateIV » Fri May 25, 2007 9:34 pm UTC

Oh my god. Al Gore was right.

MANBEARPIG

Our truth is only as good as our assumptions.

Oort

Postby Oort » Fri May 25, 2007 9:47 pm UTC

Has anyone seen the movie Princess Mononoke? If you have, you know what I'm talking about (probably).

ArchangelShrike
Rodan's Title

Postby ArchangelShrike » Fri May 25, 2007 11:27 pm UTC

But the hog didn't turn evil....

Jauss

Postby Jauss » Sat May 26, 2007 1:14 am UTC

This pisses me off. It's one thing to go hunting and another to take several retarded ass-shots (probably literally) and let the creature shlump around for 3 hours in fear and pain.

Also: Damn, that was a fucking huge boar.

@Oort, I know what you're talking about. :)

@ArchangelShrike: That's too bad. Now, that would've been some entertainment right there. Giant fucking evil zombie ghost pig taking out chodes that worry about hunting potentially dangerous animals with their big ol' guns.
"Four out of five dentists prefer asses to hearts." - The Mighty Thesaurus

Brian

Postby Brian » Sat May 26, 2007 1:19 am UTC

Jauss wrote:@ArchangelShrike: That's too bad. Now, that would've been some entertainment right there. Giant fucking evil zombie ghost pig taking out chodes that worry about hunting potentially dangerous animals with their big ol' guns.

I would also pay good money to see this.

Vaniver

Postby Vaniver » Sat May 26, 2007 1:26 am UTC

This pisses me off. It's one thing to go hunting and another to take several retarded ass-shots (probably literally) and let the creature shlump around for 3 hours in fear and pain.
Normal boars have a good chance of killing the people hunting them. You want this kid to run down a giant boar?
I mostly post over at LessWrong now.

Avatar from My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic, owned by Hasbro.

Irrational (?)

Postby 3.14159265... » Sat May 26, 2007 2:14 am UTC

ewwwwww ...... wooooooo.......... LMAO..........ewwwwwwww.........wooooooooooooo............LMAO........
"The best times in life are the ones when you can genuinely add a "Bwa" to your "ha""- Chris Hastings

kira
I hate bananas.

Postby kira » Sat May 26, 2007 2:28 am UTC

The only response I have to this is: Of course it's in Alabama.

arbivark

Postby arbivark » Sat May 26, 2007 2:49 am UTC

Jauss wrote:This pisses me off. It's one thing to go hunting and another to take several retarded ass-shots (probably literally) and let the creature shlump around for 3 hours in fear and pain.

The kid stayed with the hunt until he finished his kill. The first 8 shots didn't do it, it took a ninth shot with a his 50 caliber pistol. Because what you don't want is a pissed off giant boar. The kid put his life at significant risk, and accomplished his objective. I'm not generally at all pro-hunting, but i have some respect for this kid.

Belial
A terrible sound heard from a distance

Postby Belial » Sat May 26, 2007 3:06 am UTC

arbivark wrote:
Jauss wrote:This pisses me off. It's one thing to go hunting and another to take several retarded ass-shots (probably literally) and let the creature shlump around for 3 hours in fear and pain.

The kid stayed with the hunt until he finished his kill. The first 8 shots didn't do it, it took a ninth shot with a his 50 caliber pistol. Because what you don't want is a pissed off giant boar. The kid put his life at significant risk, and accomplished his objective. I'm not generally at all pro-hunting, but i have some respect for this kid.

Absolutely, because he couldn't, reasonably, have looked at that, thought "There is no way I can kill that efficiently, or reasonably eat it if I do" and just *not taken the first shot*. That would be crazy.
Last edited by Belial on Sat May 26, 2007 3:06 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
addams wrote:A drunk neighbor is better than a sober Belial.

They/them

Berge

Postby Berge » Sat May 26, 2007 3:06 am UTC

arbivark wrote: The kid stayed with the hunt until he finished his kill. The first 8 shots didn't do it, it took a ninth shot with a his 50 caliber pistol. Because what you don't want is a pissed off giant boar. The kid put his life at significant risk, and accomplished his objective. I'm not generally at all pro-hunting, but i have some respect for this kid.

If you don't want a pissed off giant boar, I would recommend not shooting it in the ass 8 times as you're blundering through the woods after it. There has to be more to this story btw, look at that kid. No way he keeps pace with that thing through the woods for 3 hours.

Belial

Postby Belial » Sat May 26, 2007 3:07 am UTC

You'd be surprised.

They/them

Berge

Postby Berge » Sat May 26, 2007 3:10 am UTC

It has happened before.

Jauss

Postby Jauss » Sat May 26, 2007 3:13 am UTC

Vaniver wrote:Normal boars have a good chance of killing the people hunting them. You want this kid to run down a giant boar?

arbivark wrote: The kid stayed with the hunt until he finished his kill. The first 8 shots didn't do it, it took a ninth shot with a his 50 caliber pistol. Because what you don't want is a pissed off giant boar. The kid put his life at significant risk, and accomplished his objective. I'm not generally at all pro-hunting, but i have some respect for this kid.

No, I'm not saying the kid should have rushed the boar (although that idea conjures up an amusing mental image.) I just think that one of the other guys with their high-powered rifles should've ended it before 3 hours, maybe still give the kid the close shot or whatever. It's the kid's kill and yadda yadda yadda, but I value less cruelty over bragging rights I guess. *Shrug*

Carry on.
"Four out of five dentists prefer asses to hearts." - The Mighty Thesaurus

JoshuaZ

Re: Boy kills massive hog

Postby JoshuaZ » Sat May 26, 2007 3:16 am UTC

Peshmerga wrote:http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=D8PBKB5G0&show_article=1&image=large

*image snipped to save bandwith*

An 11-year-old Alabama boy used a pistol to kill a wild hog his father says weighed a staggering 1,051 pounds and measured 9-feet-4 from the tip of its snout to the base of its tail. Think hams as big as car tires.

Jamison, who killed his first deer at age 5, was hunting with father Mike Stone and two guides in east Alabama on May 3 when he bagged Hogzilla II. He said he shot the huge animal eight times with a .50- caliber revolver and chased it for three hours through hilly woods before finishing it off with a point-blank shot.

This is kind of sickening, although I'm also slightly apathetic. That's one huge fucking boar.

Hmm, the article says that the likely actual weight and length were shorter. But still, yes, that is one huge fucking boar. Makes one understand how hunting the Erymanthian Boar could be a reasonable labor for Herculese.
Last edited by JoshuaZ on Sat May 26, 2007 5:03 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Belial

Postby Belial » Sat May 26, 2007 3:17 am UTC

There has to be more to this story btw, look at that kid. No way he keeps pace with that thing through the woods for 3 hours.

Given a goal, something to chase, humans have a *lot* of endurance.

I'm not the fittest person alive, but when given the motivation of "do not look weak in front of my brother" I kept pace with him, paddling on a surf board, for *hours*. If you've never paddled through choppy surf on a board.....I'd really rather be running after a giant pig, personally.

They/them

LE4dGOLEM
is unique......wait, no!!!!

Postby LE4dGOLEM » Sat May 26, 2007 1:46 pm UTC

Peshmerga wrote:Hogzilla II

Two? How big was the first one?
Image Une See Fights - crayon super-ish hero webcomic!
doogly wrote:It would just be much better if it were not shitty.

Hammer
Because all of you look like nails.

Postby Hammer » Sat May 26, 2007 3:25 pm UTC

Oort wrote:Has anyone seen the movie Princess Mononoke? If you have, you know what I'm talking about (probably).

I was thinking that too.
"What's wrong with you mathematicians? Cake is never a problem."

Deity

Postby Deity » Sun May 27, 2007 3:05 pm UTC

That's not what I've heard. I heard it was as big as a truck and he killed it with an experimental laser gun his dad build.

Peshmerga
Mad Hatter

Postby Peshmerga » Sun May 27, 2007 4:13 pm UTC

Nice trick with scaling there :p
i hurd u liek mudkips???

Deity

Postby Deity » Sun May 27, 2007 4:37 pm UTC

Just to be clear, the original picture is also a fake. Sure the boar was big, but not that big.

Also, I've got mixed feelings about letting 11 year-olds hunt boars with a pistol. I don't care about the kid getting hurt (go for it, hogzilla). But just put it in perspective with the video game violence discussion...

LE4dGOLEM
is unique......wait, no!!!!

Postby LE4dGOLEM » Mon May 28, 2007 9:58 am UTC

Deity wrote:Just to be clear, the original picture is also a fake. Sure the boar was big, but not that big.

Also, I've got mixed feelings about letting 11 year-olds hunt boars with a pistol. I don't care about the kid getting hurt (go for it, hogzilla). But just put it in perspective with the video game violence discussion...

Somebody post the graph. That shows crimerate per 10,000 humans in places where video games are readily available, versus time. Note the points where Doom came out, and then notice the enormous drop.
Image Une See Fights - crayon super-ish hero webcomic!
doogly wrote:It would just be much better if it were not shitty.

Gelsamel
Lame and emo

Postby Gelsamel » Mon May 28, 2007 10:13 am UTC

How the fuck does something that huge live??? And he fucking killed it too.
"Give up here?"
- > No
"Do you accept defeat?"
- > No
"Do you think games are silly little things?"
- > No
"Is it all pointless?"
- > No
"Do you admit there is no meaning to this world?"
- > No

william
Not a Raptor. Honest.

Postby william » Mon May 28, 2007 5:49 pm UTC

LE4dGOLEM wrote:
Deity wrote:Just to be clear, the original picture is also a fake. Sure the boar was big, but not that big.

Somebody post the graph. That shows crimerate per 10,000 humans in places where video games are readily available, versus time. Note the points where Doom came out, and then notice the enormous drop.

Here's one that I found. It's a bit small though.
SecondTalon wrote:A pile of shit can call itself a delicious pie, but that doesn't make it true.

Lani
Has Boobs (Probably)

Postby Lani » Mon May 28, 2007 6:04 pm UTC

I'm slightly skeptical still. Snopes.com only says that the weight and length figures have not been confirmed yet.
- Lani

"They think they're so high and mighty, just because they never got caught driving without pants."

McLurker

Postby McLurker » Tue May 29, 2007 10:39 am UTC

The picture definitely looks faked to me.

Still, no matter what size it is- hunting with a pistol? WTF. If you take 9 shots to kill something, you shouldn't have been hunting it.

Personally, I don't hunt for sport. but, if someone does they should be humane about it.

Belial

Postby Belial » Tue May 29, 2007 12:29 pm UTC

Wait, he killed that thing for sport?

God, I hate sport hunting. He should have to eat nothing but that damn pig for the next eight years. See how he feels about his next big kill.

They/them

Gelsamel
Lame and emo

Postby Gelsamel » Tue May 29, 2007 1:02 pm UTC

I don't care about hunting for sport, but killing something that big (if it really is that big) is fucked up. It'd be awesome to see how that fucking thing actually survived being that big, now they'll never know.
"Give up here?"
- > No
"Do you accept defeat?"
- > No
"Do you think games are silly little things?"
- > No
"Is it all pointless?"
- > No
"Do you admit there is no meaning to this world?"
- > No

McLurker

Postby McLurker » Tue May 29, 2007 3:01 pm UTC

I was wondering at the mentality, too.

"Here's something so different from our everyday experience as to be almost miraculous"

"Let's KILL it!"

The people in this article seem like the kind of people who, if they saw an angel, would try to pull its wings off.

Wordmaster

Postby Wordmaster » Tue May 29, 2007 3:43 pm UTC

Has anyone else visited the site mentioned in the article? www.monsterpig.com

Some... shall we say... interesting comments posted from visitors (both positive and negative), as well as "A Note From Jamison's Dad" that describes his take on hunting, this particular kill, the public's response, and other issues. It's preachy (understatement!) but he essentially states that it's Man's god-given right to hunt for food so killing this boar was practical as well as character-building.

Personally, I doubt that anybody's going to be able to eat that entire boar in a reasonable amount of time, and I doubt that necessity was the only impetus for killing the beast. But then, I'm from the 'burbs and so I never really "got" hunting, so maybe I'm not qualified to speak on the issue.

*edited to fix link*

Belial

Postby Belial » Tue May 29, 2007 3:46 pm UTC

but he essentially states that it's Man's god-given right to hunt for food so killing this boar was practical as well as character-building.

Like I said. Just so long as the boy has to spend *forever* eating dried, preserved pork from that fucking *behemoth*. That'll teach him a lesson about only killing what you can fucking eat.

They/them

Wordmaster

Postby Wordmaster » Tue May 29, 2007 3:52 pm UTC

After poking around on the site a bit more, I unearthed this from the "Positive Comments" area:

(Note to the nay-sayers: these boars are an introduced species to the Southeast. They don't belong here. They have no natural enemies; they wreck havoc on our ecosystems and they can be vicious).

Wikipedia confirms this here.

This changes my stance on the issue. While I'm still not pleased to see someone proud to kill animals, if they're destructive to indigenous wildlife then perhaps it had to be done.

Phenriz
I'm daaancin' like a monkey!

Postby Phenriz » Tue May 29, 2007 4:02 pm UTC

then where the fuck are these massive boars from, i want one so i can raise it into a Boar-God

like:

but with less evil curses....
I loveded you piggy, i lovded youuuu!!!

bookishbunny

Postby bookishbunny » Tue May 29, 2007 4:43 pm UTC

I am in total denial the this piggy exists. Anyway, I Snope everything.

http://www.snopes.com/photos/animals/hogzilla.asp
~Some people are like Slinkies - not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you push them down the stairs.

TheTankengine
Our Fora-father

Postby TheTankengine » Tue May 29, 2007 6:21 pm UTC

How does a 1000+ lb. hog live?
However it wants to live. Its a fucking giant.
be centered
be compassionate
be interesting

Ghona

Postby Ghona » Tue May 29, 2007 8:12 pm UTC

Belial wrote:Wait, he killed that thing for sport?

God, I hate sport hunting. He should have to eat nothing but that damn pig for the next eight years. See how he feels about his next big kill.

Dude, they made it into sausages. Chill out.

Ghona

Postby Ghona » Tue May 29, 2007 8:13 pm UTC

McLurker wrote:I was wondering at the mentality, too.

"Here's something so different from our everyday experience as to be almost miraculous"

"Let's KILL it!"

TheTankengine wrote:How does a 1000+ lb. hog live?
However it wants to live. Its a fucking giant.

The greatest size for a domestic pig is twice this. It isn't that rare.

And boars are really nasty creatures. More dangerous than bears.

Return to “News & Articles”