Loser Nerd Math Comics (LNMC)

Seen something interesting in the news or on the intertubes? Discuss it here.

Moderators: Hawknc, Zamfir, Prelates, Moderators General

Loser Nerd Math Comics (LNMC)

Postby DSDM » Thu Feb 25, 2010 3:52 pm UTC

Saw this on SomethingAwful.com. Made me laugh.
http://www.somethingawful.com/d/news/lnmc-xkcd-parody.php
DSDM

Re: Loser Nerd Math Comics (LNMC)

Postby The Reaper » Thu Feb 25, 2010 3:59 pm UTC

DSDM wrote:Saw this on SomethingAwful.com. Made me laugh.

Its not very funny, cept the shirt. The shirt is neat. I'd buy that.
The Reaper

Postby Dauric » Thu Feb 25, 2010 4:15 pm UTC

It looks like a jock's attempt at insulting XKCD. Obviously someone doesn't "get" XKCD's humor, doesn't understand the nature of XKCD's influence on the tech and science communities, and they're attempting to insult XKCD because it's a gathering they're not invited to and that damages their fine-china-fragile popularity-contest-driven-ego. Even the name is an attempt to insult XKCD fans (and completely misses the point that XKCD are randomly picked letters with no actual meaning).

I could be wrong, but that's what it looks like to me anyway.

I don't even find the shirts particularly funny.
We're in the traffic-chopper over the XKCD boards where there's been a thread-derailment. Later, Garrus was eaten by a shark. It is believed that the Point has perished in the accident. Back to you Bob.
Dauric

Location: If I knew this with any accuracy I wouldn't know if I was going to get a speeding ticket.

Postby Phen » Thu Feb 25, 2010 4:19 pm UTC

Dauric wrote:It looks like a jock's attempt at insulting XKCD. Obviously someone doesn't "get" XKCD's humor, doesn't understand the nature of XKCD's influence on the tech and science communities, and they're attempting to insult XKCD because it's a gathering they're not invited to and that damages their fine-china-fragile popularity-contest-driven-ego. Even the name is an attempt to insult XKCD fans (and completely misses the point that XKCD are randomly picked letters with no actual meaning).

Dude, it's Something Awful. Trolling is what they do and you just swallowed the bait.
Last edited by Phen on Thu Feb 25, 2010 4:20 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
I'm a wizard. We know these things.

In war, one should seek to take and hold the high ground. From there, the enemy's movements are clearly visible, and he will struggle just to reach you, let alone fight you. High orbit is the highest ground there is.
Phen

Postby podbaydoor » Thu Feb 25, 2010 4:20 pm UTC

Okay, I chuckled a little. Though it's not particularly pointed or clever.
tenet |ˈtenit|
noun
a principle or belief, esp. one of the main principles of a religion or philosophy : the tenets of classical liberalism.
tenant |ˈtenənt|
noun
a person who occupies land or property rented from a landlord.
podbaydoor

Postby DSDM » Thu Feb 25, 2010 4:21 pm UTC

The Reaper wrote:
DSDM wrote:Saw this on SomethingAwful.com. Made me laugh.

Its not very funny, cept the shirt. The shirt is neat. I'd buy that.

I thought the Joss Whedon one was funny. XKCD is kinda like that sometimes.
DSDM

Postby DSDM » Thu Feb 25, 2010 4:23 pm UTC

Dauric wrote:It looks like a jock's attempt at insulting XKCD. Obviously someone doesn't "get" XKCD's humor, doesn't understand the nature of XKCD's influence on the tech and science communities, and they're attempting to insult XKCD because it's a gathering they're not invited to and that damages their fine-china-fragile popularity-contest-driven-ego. Even the name is an attempt to insult XKCD fans (and completely misses the point that XKCD are randomly picked letters with no actual meaning).

NEERRRRD RAAAAAGE!!!!
DSDM

Postby The Reaper » Thu Feb 25, 2010 4:24 pm UTC

Phen wrote:Dude, it's Something Awful. Failing@Trolling is what they do and you just swallowed the bait.

fix'd. SA isn't that great at trolling. It's only somewhat decent at humor.
The Reaper

Postby Phen » Thu Feb 25, 2010 4:30 pm UTC

The Reaper wrote:
Phen wrote:Dude, it's Something Awful. Failing@Trolling is what they do and you just swallowed the bait.

fix'd. SA isn't that great at trolling. It's only somewhat decent at humor.

It's still what they do, or did. SA has made some good stuff, although there's generally a lot of fail to wade through.
LNMC isn't particularly witty, but it does have a core of truth.

In war, one should seek to take and hold the high ground. From there, the enemy's movements are clearly visible, and he will struggle just to reach you, let alone fight you. High orbit is the highest ground there is.
Phen

Postby Texas_Ben » Thu Feb 25, 2010 4:50 pm UTC

I laughed really hard at the "sorry, I'm a woman!" one because it was just a huge WTF. It came out of nowhere.
Texas_Ben

Postby tzvibish » Thu Feb 25, 2010 4:59 pm UTC

I read it more like a satire of those who make fun of XKCD. It's not nearly as offensive that way.
-Featuring the Comic Strip XKCD!
tzvibish

Postby Technical Ben » Thu Feb 25, 2010 5:40 pm UTC

tzvibish wrote:I read it more like a satire of those who make fun of XKCD. It's not nearly as offensive that way.

I took it to be more a bit of fanboyism with a dash of "jumping on the bandwagon". It looks like many of the XKCD imitation sites/comics. But done in a way that the imitator honestly thinks they are the cleverest thing ever, and that they still love XKCD, they just have to better it in their own way.
Looks like it was written by a 12 year old. :roll:
It's all physics and stamp collecting.
It's not a particle or a wave. It's just an exchange.
Technical Ben

Postby General_Norris » Thu Feb 25, 2010 6:47 pm UTC

It's bad. And not in an awesome way, it's just...bad. The jokes are bad, the satire is bad, not good.
General_Norris

Postby SirMustapha » Thu Feb 25, 2010 8:42 pm UTC

I agree, it's bad satire: the heads are all properly attached to the bodies, and the character is floating on his chair in only one panel, and only slightly. It's too innacurate!
SirMustapha

Postby Xeio » Thu Feb 25, 2010 8:49 pm UTC

tzvibish wrote:I read it more like a satire of those who make fun of XKCD. It's not nearly as offensive that way.
Wait, it wasn't? Because those were HILARIOUS. :P
Xeio
Friends, Faidites, Countrymen

Postby Endless Mike » Thu Feb 25, 2010 9:40 pm UTC

Whoa.

SA has a front page!?
Endless Mike

Postby EMTP » Fri Feb 26, 2010 12:13 am UTC

Technical Ben wrote:

I took it to be more a bit of fanboyism with a dash of "jumping on the bandwagon". It looks like many of the XKCD imitation sites/comics. But done in a way that the imitator honestly thinks they are the cleverest thing ever, and that they still love XKCD, they just have to better it in their own way.
Looks like it was written by a 12 year old. :roll:

I agree with one part of this: this is obviously the work of a fan. It has the definite air of somebody that knows they are mocking themselves.

I don't see anything to be upset about. xkcd makes fun of other cartoonists all the time. Have we forgotten this one: http://xkcd.com/157/?
"“The practice of violence, like all action, changes the world, but the most probable change is to a more violent world."
-- Hannah Arendt, "Reflections on Violence"
EMTP

Postby Marbas » Fri Feb 26, 2010 2:12 am UTC

Thought it was pretty funny. Just because people being made fun of in general makes me laugh.

Does this make me a bad person?
Jahoclave wrote:Do you have any idea how much more fun the holocaust is with "Git er Done" as the catch phrase?
Marbas

Postby imMAW » Fri Feb 26, 2010 3:54 am UTC

I think the coding line is perfect, I'm still chuckling. But, I completely missed the point of the "I'm a woman" one. Someone want to fill me in?
Also, I see where the author is going with the t-shirt sizes, but I always picture nerds to be average-sized...
imMAW

Postby rigwarl » Fri Feb 26, 2010 4:17 am UTC

imMAW wrote: But, I completely missed the point of the "I'm a woman" one. Someone want to fill me in?

That was the only one that I thought was funny- I don't think there's anything to get about it. I think it's supposed to not make any sense and just be really random.
rigwarl

Postby TheGrammarBolshevik » Fri Feb 26, 2010 4:19 am UTC

I think it's making fun of a "women are fickle and inscrutable" theme that the author perceives in xkcd.
Nothing rhymes with orange,
Not even sporange.
TheGrammarBolshevik

Location: Going to and fro in the earth, and walking up and down in it.

Postby Qaanol » Fri Feb 26, 2010 6:58 am UTC

I liked “To be continued…” provided it is not actually continued. The idea of a cliff-hanger after no buildup just works. It's like the anti-anticlimax.
Small Government Liberal
Qaanol

Postby the_bandersnatch » Fri Feb 26, 2010 12:07 pm UTC

Personally, I think xkcd is ripe for a lampooning and I found the shirt one at the bottom pretty funny. As that other site puts it, xkcd has "fetishes for superiority, Joss Whedon, programming, and general geek references" and they're not wrong. Though they did miss out the fact it also has fetishes for the themes "look at how wacky our relationship is!"/"women, they're crazy!" and "breakup heartache".

If you don't find it funny, that's fair enough, it's not exactly top-drawer satire, but if you don't like it by default because it's making fun of your precious webcomic, then relax your sphincter and try again.
In girum imus nocte, et consumimur igni
the_bandersnatch
Actually not so frumious.

Location: on a bed in a room inside a TV in a hotel room in a hotel on a Monopoly board

Postby Technical Ben » Fri Feb 26, 2010 1:59 pm UTC

No, it just sucks. I honestly could not care less if XKCD fell off the map. I'd miss it, but it's not the end of the world. If I don't like the satire in LNMC, it's because it's done poorly. Just as some of the comics strips here miss the point on occasion. But LNMC seems totally fake/lacking/empty to me. :shrugs:
The "because I'm a woman" was slightly better than the rest.
It's all physics and stamp collecting.
It's not a particle or a wave. It's just an exchange.
Technical Ben

Postby General_Norris » Fri Feb 26, 2010 3:20 pm UTC

the_bandersnatch wrote:that other site puts it, xkcd has "fetishes for superiority, Joss Whedon, programming, and general geek references" and they're not wrong.

The critique is pretty bland and mostly relise on "I DON'T LIKE THIS THEME". Well if you don't like geekness, programming and general geek references then why read this webcomic? It would be like reading Penny Arcade if you don't like videogames I mean, it's not "fetishes for X theme" it's the theme of the very webcomic.

And I very much doubt it has any pretension of superiority.
General_Norris

Postby 4=5 » Fri Feb 26, 2010 5:58 pm UTC

liked the "fuck you lisa" one because the idea of someone doing that is personally amusing to me.
4=5

Postby lowbart » Fri Feb 26, 2010 7:08 pm UTC

Phen wrote:

Dude, it's Something Awful. Trolling is what they do and you just swallowed the bait.

Yeah, dude. Besides, I identify as a complete geek (depending on your definition, my knowledge might not be useful enough to make me a nerd), I had a shitty time in public schools, I have to find out how everything works, social interaction drives me crazy, and I appreciate what XKCD has done in terms of bringing a community together etc. BUT, I think that sometimes XKCD takes itself a little too seriously, and while its function of providing jokes from INSIDE the geek/nerd community is invaluable, I think that it tends to attract people who can't laugh at themselves. SomethingAwful hit a few nails on their heads with those parodies, even if they did it in a hamfisted kind of way. If you can't see that, you need to lighten up a little.
...a fish called the Henamo grunter, named because it makes grunting noises from its swim bladder.
v1nsai wrote:Yes, I'm Linux, how can I help you ma'am?
lowbart

Postby Phen » Fri Feb 26, 2010 9:18 pm UTC

lowbart wrote:
Phen wrote:

Yeah, dude. Besides, I identify as a complete geek (depending on your definition, my knowledge might not be useful enough to make me a nerd), I had a shitty time in public schools, I have to find out how everything works, social interaction drives me crazy, and I appreciate what XKCD has done in terms of bringing a community together etc. BUT, I think that sometimes XKCD takes itself a little too seriously, and while its function of providing jokes from INSIDE the geek/nerd community is invaluable, I think that it tends to attract people who can't laugh at themselves. SomethingAwful hit a few nails on their heads with those parodies, even if they did it in a hamfisted kind of way. If you can't see that, you need to lighten up a little.

Dude... Wut?

That one came out of nowhere.

Phen

Postby Chfan » Fri Feb 26, 2010 9:43 pm UTC

I have to say, the coding comic is EXACTLY how I see every. fucking. coding. comic Randall posts every once in a while. Not really funny at all, and nearly impossible to understand.
Just FYI, the guy isn't avatar isn't me. But he seems pretty cool.
Chfan

Postby aleflamedyud » Fri Feb 26, 2010 11:43 pm UTC

I like XKCD, obviously, but the Something Awful comics were pretty funny too.

Learn to take a joke, people.
"With kindness comes naïveté. Courage becomes foolhardiness. And dedication has no reward. If you can't accept any of that, you are not fit to be a graduate student."
aleflamedyud
wants your cookies

Postby The Reaper » Sat Feb 27, 2010 12:00 am UTC

Chfan wrote:I have to say, the coding comic is EXACTLY how I see every. fucking. coding. comic Randall posts every once in a while. Not really funny at all, and nearly impossible to understand.

Code moar.
The Reaper

Postby Joeldi » Sat Feb 27, 2010 12:08 am UTC

If you swapped the cake with the pi and replaced fuck with "show any sort of interest in me" the shirt sums up my feelings right now...summed up by a parody of a parody comic...depressing.
I already have a hate thread. Necromancy > redundancy here, so post there.

roc314 wrote:America is a police state that communicates in txt speak...

"i hav teh dissentors brb""¡This cheese is burning me! u pwnd them bff""thx ur cool 2"
Joeldi

Return to News & Articles