5,000 Naked People outside the Sydney Opera House

Seen something interesting in the news or on the intertubes? Discuss it here.

Moderators: Zamfir, Hawknc, Moderators General, Prelates

Sharlos

5,000 Naked People outside the Sydney Opera House

Postby Sharlos » Mon Mar 01, 2010 11:33 am UTC

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/8542350.stm

It certainly wasn't something I was expecting to see when I read the title of the article, although it has improved my opinion of my country a little, even if just the urban parts.

podbaydoor

Re: 5,000 Naked People outside the Sydney Opera House

Postby podbaydoor » Mon Mar 01, 2010 12:15 pm UTC

The last sentence is hilarious.

The naked models included a pregnant woman, who went straight to hospital afterwards to give birth, and a television weatherman whose viewers got to see considerably more than his usual Monday morning forecast.
tenet |ˈtenit|
noun
a principle or belief, esp. one of the main principles of a religion or philosophy : the tenets of classical liberalism.
tenant |ˈtenənt|
noun
a person who occupies land or property rented from a landlord.

MrGee

Postby MrGee » Mon Mar 01, 2010 6:44 pm UTC

Well it's comforting to know that opponents of homophobia can still field a decent protest.

I just hope none of the women had small breasts.

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Mon Mar 01, 2010 7:44 pm UTC

Is he the guy who always takes photos of lots of nude people?

I think that's cool.
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

BlahBlahBlah

Postby BlahBlahBlah » Tue Mar 02, 2010 4:21 am UTC

Izawwlgood wrote:Is he the guy who always takes photos of lots of nude people?

I think that's cool.

Yes. 18,000 people in Mexico City, for instance.

Joeldi

Postby Joeldi » Tue Mar 02, 2010 7:48 am UTC

Sharlos wrote:http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/8542350.stm

It certainly wasn't something I was expecting to see when I read the title of the article, although it has improved my opinion of my country a little, even if just the urban parts.

You think the bulk of those people were doing this for gay acceptance? Noo, they were just doing it for the lulz of being naked in public. Australia's still a backwards state full of arseholes.
I already have a hate thread. Necromancy > redundancy here, so post there.

roc314 wrote:America is a police state that communicates in txt speak...

"i hav teh dissentors brb""¡This cheese is burning me! u pwnd them bff""thx ur cool 2"

Sharlos

Postby Sharlos » Tue Mar 02, 2010 8:27 am UTC

Joeldi wrote:
Sharlos wrote:http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/8542350.stm

You think the bulk of those people were doing this for gay acceptance? Noo, they were just doing it for the lulz of being naked in public. Australia's still a backwards state full of arseholes.

In general sure, but a little less so in Sydney

Pez Dispens3r
is not a stick figure.

Postby Pez Dispens3r » Tue Mar 02, 2010 8:57 am UTC

Joeldi wrote:
Sharlos wrote:It certainly wasn't something I was expecting to see when I read the title of the article, although it has improved my opinion of my country a little, even if just the urban parts.

Your aggressive cynicism is lovely, but I think you're being a little judgmental. I know if I was a raging bigot I wouldn't be photographed if it was for something organized by the Sydney Gay and Lesbian Mardi Gras, no matter how much I enjoyed getting my bits out in public.
Mighty Jalapeno wrote:I feel like you're probably an ocelot, and I feel like I want to eat you. Feeling is fun!
this isn't my cow

Sharlos

Postby Sharlos » Tue Mar 02, 2010 1:20 pm UTC

Also I have a hard time believing Australia is particularly backwards when I look at other countries and see creationism being taught in schools and similar rubbish. Australia is pretty conservative in my opinion on a number of subjects, but not backwards.

Rural areas are the worst, but thats mostly due to not being exposed to many outside ideas when your so isolated.

JoeKhol

Postby JoeKhol » Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:01 am UTC

Joeldi wrote:Australia's still a backwards state full of arseholes.
So a lot like the internet then?
Therefore, I think I am.

psychosomaticism

Postby psychosomaticism » Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:42 am UTC

Pez Dispens3r wrote:
Joeldi wrote:
Sharlos wrote:It certainly wasn't something I was expecting to see when I read the title of the article, although it has improved my opinion of my country a little, even if just the urban parts.

Your aggressive cynicism is lovely, but I think you're being a little judgmental. I know if I was a raging bigot I wouldn't be photographed if it was for something organized by the Sydney Gay and Lesbian Mardi Gras, no matter how much I enjoyed getting my bits out in public.

I guess it depends whether having one's bits out is higher priority than being a bigot.
I agree that most of them there probably aren't bigots though.

Qaanol
The Cheshirest Catamount

Postby Qaanol » Wed Mar 03, 2010 2:11 am UTC

More than 5,000 men and women shed their clothing - people of all ages, shapes and sizes

Were they people of all ages, or were they all men and women? What is the legality of public nudity in Sydney? Of photographing nudes in public? Would it still be legal if a minor were involved? Did anyone check IDs of all the participants?
wee free kings

LuNatic

Postby LuNatic » Wed Mar 03, 2010 6:14 am UTC

Qaanol wrote:
More than 5,000 men and women shed their clothing - people of all ages, shapes and sizes

Were they people of all ages, or were they all men and women? What is the legality of public nudity in Sydney? Of photographing nudes in public? Would it still be legal if a minor were involved? Did anyone check IDs of all the participants?

I don't know any of the applicable laws, but I'm damned surprised that this got the go-ahead.
Cynical Idealist wrote:
Velict wrote:Good Jehova, there are cheesegraters on the blagotube!

This is, for some reason, one of the funniest things I've read today.

Pez Dispens3r
is not a stick figure.

Postby Pez Dispens3r » Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:15 pm UTC

I'm sure there were adequate steps taken to make certain no teenage penor was shown, but why would you be surprised it got the go ahead? It's the short of thing that happens all over the world: being opposed to it would make Australia look ridiculous.
Mighty Jalapeno wrote:I feel like you're probably an ocelot, and I feel like I want to eat you. Feeling is fun!
this isn't my cow

Sharlos

Postby Sharlos » Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:52 pm UTC

Well considering I've been unable to really find anything about it on any Australian news sources, I'm not surprised. (Not that I looked hard.)

JayDee

Postby JayDee » Thu Mar 04, 2010 12:38 am UTC

Sharlos wrote:Well considering I've been unable to really find anything about it on any Australian news sources, I'm not surprised. (Not that I looked hard.)
You really didn't. The Australian, the Sydney Morning Herald, and the Herald Sun all reported it. Pretty sure I saw it in a couple of print papers, too.

It's also not the first time it's been done (by the same artist) in Australia.
SMH wrote:Tunick's first mass installation in Australia was The Unfamiliar Familiar in Melbourne in 2001, in which 4500 nudes were arranged on the city's St Kilda Road, the banks of the Yarra River and in Alexandra Gardens.
Come to think of it, I remember some of my classmates (I was in Year 12 at the time) partipating back then.
The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:I believe that everything can and must be joked about.
Hawknc wrote:I like to think that he hasn't left, he's just finally completed his foe list.

LuNatic

Postby LuNatic » Thu Mar 04, 2010 10:02 am UTC

Pez Dispens3r wrote:I'm sure there were adequate steps taken to make certain no teenage penor was shown, but why would you be surprised it got the go ahead? It's the short of thing that happens all over the world: being opposed to it would make Australia look ridiculous.

I'm fairly sure there is something on the books to do with public decency.
Cynical Idealist wrote:
Velict wrote:Good Jehova, there are cheesegraters on the blagotube!

This is, for some reason, one of the funniest things I've read today.

Josephine

Postby Josephine » Thu Mar 04, 2010 10:30 am UTC

LuNatic wrote:
Pez Dispens3r wrote:I'm sure there were adequate steps taken to make certain no teenage penor was shown, but why would you be surprised it got the go ahead? It's the short of thing that happens all over the world: being opposed to it would make Australia look ridiculous.

I'm fairly sure there is something on the books to do with public decency.

pretty much every country has some form of that, but there are exceptions.
Belial wrote:Listen, what I'm saying is that he committed a felony with a zoo animal.

Return to “News & Articles”