US Income Distribution By Religion

Seen something interesting in the news or on the intertubes? Discuss it here.

Moderators: Zamfir, Hawknc, Moderators General, Prelates

tzvibish

US Income Distribution By Religion

Postby tzvibish » Thu Mar 11, 2010 2:27 pm UTC

Brought to you by the Pew Forum on Religion & Public Life:

http://www.columnfivemedia.com/infographic-for-good-the-almighty-dollar/?display=wide

All I have to say is "Go Jews!"
-Featuring the Comic Strip XKCD!

Zamfir
I built a novelty castle, the irony was lost on some.

Re: US Income Distribution By Religion

Postby Zamfir » Thu Mar 11, 2010 2:42 pm UTC

I there a reason why a graph on religions has to have separate categories for black Christians and white Christians?

Nemiro

Postby Nemiro » Thu Mar 11, 2010 2:45 pm UTC

I think that it would also be interesting to know what the average income of those in the $100,000+ bracket is for each religion, ie. What is the average wage of a $100,000+ Jew, vs. a $100,000+ Catholic. It's all very well saying that 45% of Jews earn more than $100,000, but if they all earn $100,001 while the small(er) number of Catholics in the bracket earn $300,000, it's... I dunno, I'm just interested to know.

As for Zamfir's point... possibly there were large disparities shown when surveying, so they thought they'd split it.. to.. I don't really know why. Substantial differences in services? /grasps at straws
Joshua wrote:GREETINGS, PROFESSOR FALKEN.

Spam here please

iop

Postby iop » Thu Mar 11, 2010 3:56 pm UTC

tzvibish wrote:All I have to say is "Go Jews!"

I'd say that Hindus are doing even better.

Ulc

Postby Ulc » Thu Mar 11, 2010 4:04 pm UTC

Personally I say "Along with people rounding pi to 3, there is a special hell for people making graphs look fancy in a way that hides information"

I mean, that is the point of making it look so fancy when it makes it so hard to look properly at.
It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it - Aristotle

A White Russian, shades and a bathrobe, what more can you want from life?

Zamfir

Postby Zamfir » Thu Mar 11, 2010 4:09 pm UTC

iop wrote:

Not really. A lot of Indians get to the US on visa where "earning loads of money" is a requisite to even get the visum.

Dauric
Location: In midair, traversing laterally over a container of sharks. No water, just sharks, with lasers.

Postby Dauric » Thu Mar 11, 2010 4:10 pm UTC

Ulc wrote:Personally I say "Along with people rounding pi to 3, there is a special hell for people making graphs look fancy in a way that hides information"

I mean, that is the point of making it look so fancy when it makes it so hard to look properly at.

Agreement. It's hard to know if someone's just being dense and artsy, or if they're deliberately trying to hide something.
We're in the traffic-chopper over the XKCD boards where there's been a thread-derailment. A Liquified Godwin spill has evacuated threads in a fourty-post radius of the accident, Lolcats and TVTropes have broken free of their containers. It is believed that the Point has perished.

Lewton

Postby Lewton » Thu Mar 11, 2010 4:12 pm UTC

Zamfir wrote:
iop wrote:

Not really. A lot of Indians get to the US on visa where "earning loads of money" is a requisite to even get the visum.

That doesn't change, that going by that chart, the Hindus seem to be doing better

tehmikey

Postby tehmikey » Thu Mar 11, 2010 5:09 pm UTC

I am in agreement with the statement that artsy graphs are aimed at hiding information, and it is odd to bring race into the chart.

In an equation about only religion, they found a way to insert race. Also, I find it silly that Mormons and Jehovah's Witnesses are not listed as Christian.

Diadem

Postby Diadem » Thu Mar 11, 2010 5:23 pm UTC

tehmikey wrote:I am in agreement with the statement that artsy graphs are aimed at hiding information, and it is odd to bring race into the chart.

In an equation about only religion, they found a way to insert race. Also, I find it silly that Mormons and Jehovah's Witnesses are not listed as Christian.

Christianity being the largest religion, they split it into several subgroups. Catholic, orthodox, protestant, etc. Only a few of them are marked as 'christian'. I suppose it's assumed that everybody knows the other groups are.

edit: Then again, the graph is a mess. Wtf is 'mainline'. I've never seen that term before. Do they mean protestant? Because that group seems to be missing. Except that evangelical, Jehovah's Witnesses and 'historically black churches' are also protestant. And mormons too, I believe? Not sure there.

What falls under 'other christian' and what under 'other'. Those groups can't be that big. How many Zoroastrians are there in the US?
It's one of those irregular verbs, isn't it? I have an independent mind, you are an eccentric, he is round the twist
- Bernard Woolley in Yes, Prime Minister

Le1bn1z

Postby Le1bn1z » Thu Mar 11, 2010 5:49 pm UTC

Why are we caring about this again?

For most of these religions, guaging success by way of material success would constitute an Epic Fail.

And yes, I know some do anyway. Doesn't negate the Epic Fail.

Also, anyone else like that the "other" looks like a wonky spaceship?
Krong writes: Code: Select all
transubstantiate(Bread b) {
Person p = getJesusPersonInstance();
p.RenderProperties = b.RenderProperties;
free(b);
}

Dauric
Location: In midair, traversing laterally over a container of sharks. No water, just sharks, with lasers.

Postby Dauric » Thu Mar 11, 2010 5:58 pm UTC

Diadem wrote:edit: Then again, the graph is a mess. Wtf is 'mainline'.

Christians that inject their faith directly in to a major vein?

(Wikipedia suggests it's Protestantism)

It really is an appalling and utterly meaningless data-set.

Le1bn1z wrote:Also, anyone else like that the "other" looks like a wonky spaceship?

Yeah.. I think that's the point really.
We're in the traffic-chopper over the XKCD boards where there's been a thread-derailment. A Liquified Godwin spill has evacuated threads in a fourty-post radius of the accident, Lolcats and TVTropes have broken free of their containers. It is believed that the Point has perished.

Silas

Postby Silas » Thu Mar 11, 2010 6:55 pm UTC

Zamfir wrote:I there a reason why a graph on religions has to have separate categories for black Christians and white Christians?

It doesn't. It has a special category for historically-black churches. It's a grouping that's not exactly homogenous, but is aesthetically and liturgically distintive.

Diadem wrote:[Wtf is 'mainline'. I've never seen that term before. Do they mean protestant? Because that group seems to be missing. Except that evangelical, Jehovah's Witnesses and 'historically black churches' are also protestant. And mormons too, I believe? Not sure there.

Mainline means classic protestant. Look for an order-of-service that mimics the Catholic Mass, consubstantiative communion, moderate local autonomy, and the standard Bible, without the apocrypha. The biggest mainline churches I know off the top of my head are the Methodists, Presbyterians, Lutherans, and Episcopalians.

Evangelical churches aren't mainline because of their alternative worship structure, strong independence, and much more lay-leadership. Strict textual literalism and, er, applied continuationism are also non-mainline traits.

Jehovah's Witnesses I don't know terribly much about, but their centralized organization keeps them out of the mainline group. Mormons are excluded because they have additional scriptures, beyond the classic Bible (and a strong centralized organization).
Felstaff wrote:Serves you goddamned right. I hope you're happy, Cake Ruiner

aleflamedyud
wants your cookies

Postby aleflamedyud » Thu Mar 11, 2010 7:53 pm UTC

tzvibish wrote:Brought to you by the Pew Forum on Religion & Public Life:

http://www.columnfivemedia.com/infographic-for-good-the-almighty-dollar/?display=wide

Not go us. The main reason American Jews are so wealthy is because our demographics skew way, way older than most other Americans. Of course, that then gets into the issues of which kids get counted as Jews when they're not the child of two Jews and all that shite about our changing self-definition and oh fuck it can we go back to being rich?

Go Hindus, btw.
"With kindness comes naïveté. Courage becomes foolhardiness. And dedication has no reward. If you can't accept any of that, you are not fit to be a graduate student."

tzvibish

Postby tzvibish » Thu Mar 11, 2010 8:52 pm UTC

aleflamedyud wrote:

Not go us. The main reason American Jews are so wealthy is because our demographics skew way, way older than most other Americans. Of course, that then gets into the issues of which kids get counted as Jews when they're not the child of two Jews and all that shite about our changing self-definition and oh fuck it can we go back to being rich?

Go Hindus, btw.

I would think that this was a voluntary thing. If I report myself to be a Jew, then I'm a Jew. From an outside perspective, which the Pew forum is, your religion is whatever you say it is. The numbers are skewed for many reasons and for all religions, and I don't think the Pew Forum was trying to make a case for the exact numbers, but for the general disparity between a certain few religions and everyone else.

Also, I was looking at the top 46% for my "go jews" comment. In the end, you're right, the Hindus probably do have more actual income.

This appealed to me mainly because I've lived my entire life under the stereotype that all jews are rich. Unfortunately, that stereotype never really applied to me, so it was annoying. In fact, when the subject came up recently in conversation and i gave my canned response of "I wish I was part of that stereotype", the response was "Don't worry, you will be".

BlackSails

Postby BlackSails » Thu Mar 11, 2010 9:06 pm UTC

aleflamedyud wrote:

Not go us. The main reason American Jews are so wealthy is because our demographics skew way, way older than most other Americans.

Also the % of people going to college and such.

aleflamedyud
wants your cookies

Postby aleflamedyud » Thu Mar 11, 2010 9:27 pm UTC

I would think that this was a voluntary thing. If I report myself to be a Jew, then I'm a Jew. From an outside perspective, which the Pew forum is, your religion is whatever you say it is.

Which supports my statements about age. Young people are less religious, and in the case of Jews more assimilated and more likely to be non-Jewish products of intermarriage (ie: have Jewish parent and Christian parent and chose secular humanism). So there's some (large, I think) group of young people who choose not to call themselves Jews, thereby skewing the demographics for self-declared Jews in favor of the old folks who call themselves Jews no matter what they believe.

Most young Jews, born or self-declared, whom I know don't actually have all that Jew-gold. They do go to college in larger numbers, but they take on debt to do so like everyone else.

The Catholics face a similar situation: born Catholics in America are now quite likely to call themselves secular, so the demographics for self-declared Catholics skew old.
"With kindness comes naïveté. Courage becomes foolhardiness. And dedication has no reward. If you can't accept any of that, you are not fit to be a graduate student."

tzvibish

Postby tzvibish » Thu Mar 11, 2010 10:27 pm UTC

aleflamedyud wrote:
I would think that this was a voluntary thing. If I report myself to be a Jew, then I'm a Jew. From an outside perspective, which the Pew forum is, your religion is whatever you say it is.

Which supports my statements about age. Young people are less religious, and in the case of Jews more assimilated and more likely to be non-Jewish products of intermarriage (ie: have Jewish parent and Christian parent and chose secular humanism). So there's some (large, I think) group of young people who choose not to call themselves Jews, thereby skewing the demographics for self-declared Jews in favor of the old folks who call themselves Jews no matter what they believe.

Most young Jews, born or self-declared, whom I know don't actually have all that Jew-gold. They do go to college in larger numbers, but they take on debt to do so like everyone else.

The Catholics face a similar situation: born Catholics in America are now quite likely to call themselves secular, so the demographics for self-declared Catholics skew old.

I'd actually like to see the numbers on something like that. I think you'd be surprised.

Oh, and all the Jew gold is in the banks, which the Jews control.

zealo

Postby zealo » Sat Mar 13, 2010 9:02 am UTC

the numbers are a little hard to make out, but do 'other' and 'unafiliated' (politicly correct way to say atheist?) match the national average exactly?
ave_matthew wrote:in a perfect system a gallon of body fat is worth one third of the US GDP

Hawknc
Oompa Loompa of SCIENCE!

Postby Hawknc » Sat Mar 13, 2010 9:18 am UTC

It amuses me slightly that Buddhists earn more than the majority of other religions on that list, given the focus away from material possessions. I suppose you'd have to overlay charitable donations to see who's actually keeping the money they earn.

Zamfir

Postby Zamfir » Sat Mar 13, 2010 9:42 am UTC

Hawknc wrote:It amuses me slightly that Buddhists earn more than the majority of other religions on that list, given the focus away from material possessions. I suppose you'd have to overlay charitable donations to see who's actually keeping the money they earn.

A focus away from material possessions is also at the core of Christianity.

Dauric

Postby Dauric » Sat Mar 13, 2010 11:35 pm UTC

Zamfir wrote:
Hawknc wrote:It amuses me slightly that Buddhists earn more than the majority of other religions on that list, given the focus away from material possessions. I suppose you'd have to overlay charitable donations to see who's actually keeping the money they earn.

A focus away from material possessions is also at the core of Christianity.

That explains the necessity for "Sunday Best", and those lavish churches, and expensive suits......

Yes there are people who adhere to Asceticism. However as core it may supposedly be this is far from the way Christianity has been practiced by-in-large.

kingofdreams

Postby kingofdreams » Sun Mar 14, 2010 2:54 am UTC

the caricatured places of worship are darling (I like how the unaffliated get a house)
Picard- I shall appoint you my executive officer in charge of radishes

Uffh

Postby Uffh » Sun Mar 14, 2010 3:44 am UTC

Man. I bet that top ~45% of Hindus all live in the SF Bay Area.

sje46

Postby sje46 » Sun Mar 14, 2010 9:26 am UTC

I want to know how much atheists and agnostics make. I don't know wtf "other" and "unaffiliated" constitute.
General_Norris: Taking pride in your nation is taking pride in the division of humanity.
Pirate.Bondage: Let's get married. Right now.

tzvibish

Postby tzvibish » Mon Mar 15, 2010 12:37 pm UTC

I imagine the Hindu sections involves a good portion of the Indian presence in the engineering, IT, and medical fields. At least where I am, the State University is filled with indian graduate students, and the IT departments all over the city are full of H1B Visa engineers who don't speak English.

I don't have a problem with this. In fact, their work ethic in general puts me to shame. I just think that's where the numbers come from.

Goldstein

Postby Goldstein » Mon Mar 15, 2010 2:46 pm UTC

Le1bn1z wrote:For most of these religions, guaging success by way of material success would constitute an Epic Fail.

I really don't think the goal here is to point out who's "winning", though I'll admit I was more certain of that before I knew people looked at it that way.
Chuff wrote:I write most of my letters from the bottom

Godskalken

Postby Godskalken » Mon Mar 15, 2010 9:15 pm UTC

Goldstein wrote:

Le1bn1z wrote:For most of these religions, guaging success by way of material success would constitute an Epic Fail.

I really don't think the goal here is to point out who's "winning", though I'll admit I was more certain of that before I knew people looked at it that way.

Excactly. Isn't saying "go jews" here a bit like saying "go whites" upon realizing whites make more than other ethnic groups? It's not a competition. And, in my opinion, the skewedness of such a graph is a sign that something is wrong.

tzvibish

Postby tzvibish » Mon Mar 15, 2010 9:21 pm UTC

Ok, I wasn't making a superiority claim or anything. I thought it was an interesting statistic, and I added a facetious quip at the end of it.

most of the numbers can be explained away easily, and it isn't making any kind of revelatory claim about one religion's value over the other. It's just interesting.

sje46

Postby sje46 » Mon Mar 15, 2010 10:56 pm UTC

I don't want Jews to be more successful than protestants, Catholics, Hindus, Buddhists, animists, or Satanists in any endevour. I want everyone to be equal.
General_Norris: Taking pride in your nation is taking pride in the division of humanity.
Pirate.Bondage: Let's get married. Right now.

aleflamedyud
wants your cookies

Postby aleflamedyud » Mon Mar 15, 2010 11:55 pm UTC

sje46 wrote:I don't want Jews to be more successful than protestants, Catholics, Hindus, Buddhists, animists, or Satanists in any endevour. I want everyone to be equal.

Equal outcomes is bull. Jews, Protestants, Catholics, Hindus, Buddhists, animists, and Satanists have the same opportunities in America.

MrEmu

Postby MrEmu » Tue Mar 16, 2010 1:07 am UTC

aleflamedyud wrote:
sje46 wrote: Jews, Protestants, Catholics, Hindus, Buddhists, animists, and Satanists have the same opportunities in America.

Except in politics, but thats a rage for another time

aleflamedyud
wants your cookies

Postby aleflamedyud » Tue Mar 16, 2010 1:25 am UTC

MrEmu wrote:
aleflamedyud wrote:
sje46 wrote: Jews, Protestants, Catholics, Hindus, Buddhists, animists, and Satanists have the same opportunities in America.

Except in politics, but thats a rage for another time

Well fortunately in politics you subject yourself to the arbitrary prejudices and views of the people.

Godskalken

Postby Godskalken » Tue Mar 16, 2010 5:28 am UTC

aleflamedyud wrote:
sje46 wrote:I don't want Jews to be more successful than protestants, Catholics, Hindus, Buddhists, animists, or Satanists in any endevour. I want everyone to be equal.

Equal outcomes is bull. Jews, Protestants, Catholics, Hindus, Buddhists, animists, and Satanists have the same opportunities in America.

[citation needed]

If nothing else, the fact that the graph is currently skewed means it will keep beings skewed because of the massive advantage of being born rich compared to being born poor.

Outchanter

Postby Outchanter » Tue Mar 16, 2010 6:29 am UTC

There's more than one way to raise an average. For example: line up all atheists in order of wealth and kill the poorest 80%. Instant per capita wealth increase!

Another way is by selective immigration. Immigration laws are usually designed to attract either skills or wealth into a country, so recent (legal) immigrants are likely to be above average in at least one of these.

And then there are cases where immigration and death interact, for example when escaping genocides. It was much easier for someone like Einstein to move to the USA and escape the Nazis than it would have been for a poor Jewish tailor in some Polish shtetl.

Sharlos

Postby Sharlos » Tue Mar 16, 2010 8:18 am UTC

Godskalken wrote:
aleflamedyud wrote:

[citation needed]

If nothing else, the fact that the graph is currently skewed means it will keep beings skewed because of the massive advantage of being born rich compared to being born poor.

Yes, but not because of a disadvantage relating to what religion they have. This graph just seems to reveal how different ethnicities/groups of people all share a religion and pass it on to their children (as well as their current state of wealth).

theyranos
Location: About 30 minutes southwest of the armpit of nowhere.

Postby theyranos » Mon Apr 19, 2010 4:31 pm UTC

I stumbled on this thread while googling for something else.

I feel it's worth pointing out that the same study exists in a less obfuscated version.
Had enough arguing about xkcd? Perhaps I can refer you to a crappy comic of my own.

Goldstein

Postby Goldstein » Mon Apr 19, 2010 6:39 pm UTC

If they'd made the width (Height? I'm assuming they're laid down) of those bars be proportional to the size of the group they represent, it'd be even better.

There is nothing I would like more.
Chuff wrote:I write most of my letters from the bottom

theyranos
Location: About 30 minutes southwest of the armpit of nowhere.

Postby theyranos » Mon Apr 19, 2010 6:46 pm UTC

Well, if you're that interested they do provide enough information that you could adjust their graph yourself in gimp if you had the inclination/time. Me, I only really have time to post here during compiles.
Had enough arguing about xkcd? Perhaps I can refer you to a crappy comic of my own.

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Mon Apr 19, 2010 8:20 pm UTC

That additional information somewhat illuminates the originally posted picture, as well. For example, the reported number of Hindus in their affiliation poll is rather tiny, and so pretty much nothing whatsoever should be concluded from the income distribution within that small group.

aleflamedyud wrote:Jews, Protestants, Catholics, Hindus, Buddhists, animists, and Satanists have the same opportunities in America.

Yeah, if you're going to claim there is no religious discrimination in America, especially against such as animists and Satanists, you're going to need to provide evidence of some kind for that claim.
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

Return to “News & Articles”