US Income Distribution By Religion

Seen something interesting in the news or on the intertubes? Discuss it here.

Moderators: Zamfir, Hawknc, Moderators General, Prelates

theyranos
Location: About 30 minutes southwest of the armpit of nowhere.

Re: US Income Distribution By Religion

Postby theyranos » Mon Apr 19, 2010 8:29 pm UTC

±0.6% margin of error, based on 35,556 cases

So, it's vaguely possible that 71 Antihindus responded.
Had enough arguing about xkcd? Perhaps I can refer you to a crappy comic of my own.

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Mon Apr 19, 2010 8:42 pm UTC

Mathematically, they probably calculated that margin in a way that's only valid right near the center, so if there was some group that accounted for 50% of the sample, it would mean there's a 95% chance that in the entire population they actually account from between 49.4% and 50.6%.
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

JoeKhol

Postby JoeKhol » Mon Apr 19, 2010 8:57 pm UTC

aleflamedyud wrote:The Catholics face a similar situation: born Catholics in America are now quite likely to call themselves secular, so the demographics for self-declared Catholics skew old.
I *really* don't want to start a religous flame war here so I'll skip over "born Catholic" and just ask; if they don't call themselves Catholic when asked their religion, are they Catholic at all?
Therefore, I think I am.

JayAr

Postby JayAr » Mon Apr 19, 2010 9:47 pm UTC

If a magical talking rock is made of granite and tells me it's quartz is it quartz?

That is in no way supposed to be taken seriously
nyeguy wrote:Bacon isn't a sin. It clogs your arteries and brings you to god faster.

I actually truly failed the Turing Test

Sharlos

Postby Sharlos » Tue Apr 20, 2010 2:48 am UTC

JayAr wrote:If a magical talking rock is made of granite and tells me it's quartz is it quartz?

That is in no way supposed to be taken seriously

If I came across a magical talking rock, it can call itself whatever it wants.

aleflamedyud
wants your cookies

Postby aleflamedyud » Tue Apr 20, 2010 2:36 pm UTC

JoeKhol wrote:
aleflamedyud wrote:The Catholics face a similar situation: born Catholics in America are now quite likely to call themselves secular, so the demographics for self-declared Catholics skew old.
I *really* don't want to start a religous flame war here so I'll skip over "born Catholic" and just ask; if they don't call themselves Catholic when asked their religion, are they Catholic at all?

AFAIK, if you're baptized a Catholic you are, officially speaking, a Catholic for the rest of your life, unless you somehow get excommunicated.
"With kindness comes naïveté. Courage becomes foolhardiness. And dedication has no reward. If you can't accept any of that, you are not fit to be a graduate student."

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Tue Apr 20, 2010 3:23 pm UTC

Yeah, but it's not a question about what religion claims you in their "official" roster or whatever, it's a question about what your personal religious affiliation is. Which is whatever you say it is, regardless of what your parents did to you when you were a baby.
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

Soralin

Postby Soralin » Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:40 pm UTC

aleflamedyud wrote:
JoeKhol wrote:

AFAIK, if you're baptized a Catholic you are, officially speaking, a Catholic for the rest of your life, unless you somehow get excommunicated.

Well I wouldn't call what a religion says "official". And if you aren't actually of that religion(i.e. don't consider yourself as having that religion, i.e. don't consider that religion to be factually correct), then why would you care what that religion says about you? (well, other than from the people who might believe them)

I could make a religion that says that every single person on the planet is immediately and permanently of that religion, that doesn't mean that they actually are.

Return to “News & Articles”