Internet in the running for Nobel Peace Prize.

Seen something interesting in the news or on the intertubes? Discuss it here.

Moderators: Zamfir, Hawknc, Moderators General, Prelates

Robstickle

Internet in the running for Nobel Peace Prize.

Postby Robstickle » Fri Mar 12, 2010 9:11 pm UTC

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/8560469.stm

Internet 'in running' for Nobel Peace Prize

The internet is among a record 237 individuals and organisations nominated for this year's Nobel Peace Prize.

The number of nominations surpasses last year's record of 205 nominations.

The internet's nomination has been championed by the Italian version of Wired magazine for helping advance "dialogue, debate and consensus".

The director of the Nobel Institute, Geir Lundestad, told BBC News that the organisation had received "thousands of nominations" for the coveted prize.

"Some were nominated by one person, others by 10, others by 100," he said.

The secretive organisation does not release the list of nominees, but nominators sometimes announce their choices.

The nomination for the internet is supported by 2003 Nobel Peace Prize winner Shirin Ebadi and the founder of the $100 laptop project Nicholas Negroponte.

Nominations can be put forward by former laureates, members of national governments and select university professors, among others.

Others on the shortlist are thought to include Russian human rights activist Svetlana Gannushkina and Chinese activist Liu Xiaobo.

The final list was decided by the Norwegian Nobel Committee - which has responsibility for the Peace Prize - at its first meeting of the year on 9 March, where the five-member panel was able to add its own nominations.

"The announcement of this year's laureate will be made on the 8 October," Mr Lundestad said. "The prize amount is very likely be the same as in recent years."

Last year's 10m Swedish kronor ($1.4m) prize was awarded to US President Barack Obama.

It is unclear who would accept the prize if the internet were to win.

Internet for Peace, set up to help support the nomination of the internet, says the prize would be "a Nobel for each and every one of us".

Omegaton

Re: Internet in the running for Nobel Peace Prize.

Postby Omegaton » Fri Mar 12, 2010 9:18 pm UTC

Is the internet an organization, or run by a single organization? I mean, the Internet is great, but it doesn't really belong to anyone specifically.

Robstickle wrote:It is unclear who would accept the prize if the internet were to win.

Al Gore! Al Gore!

Dauric
Location: In midair, traversing laterally over a container of sharks. No water, just sharks, with lasers.

Postby Dauric » Fri Mar 12, 2010 9:34 pm UTC

Time's person of the year for 2006 was "You" so it's not completely unprecedented. Awarding the cash and the medal may be problematic, or it could go to some sort of "User Contribution Projects" fund that provides start-up grants for projects that facilitate dialog and communication.

Still kinda' cool though. Can we put "Won the Nobel Peace Prize" on our respective resume's?
We're in the traffic-chopper over the XKCD boards where there's been a thread-derailment. A Liquified Godwin spill has evacuated threads in a fourty-post radius of the accident, Lolcats and TVTropes have broken free of their containers. It is believed that the Point has perished.

Omegaton

Postby Omegaton » Fri Mar 12, 2010 9:36 pm UTC

Dauric wrote:Still kinda' cool though. Can we put "Won the Nobel Peace Prize" on our respective resume's?

Yes, but the Nobel Prize inflation will mean that it will only matter if you have two or more.

Bassoon

Postby Bassoon » Fri Mar 12, 2010 10:57 pm UTC

So what are you guys going to do with your medals?

mmmcannibalism

Postby mmmcannibalism » Fri Mar 12, 2010 11:02 pm UTC

Bassoon wrote:So what are you guys going to do with your medals?

Hang it next to my person of the year plaque.
Izawwlgood wrote:I for one would happily live on an island as a fuzzy seal-human.

Oregonaut wrote:Damn fetuses and their terroist plots.

Dauric
Location: In midair, traversing laterally over a container of sharks. No water, just sharks, with lasers.

Postby Dauric » Fri Mar 12, 2010 11:11 pm UTC

mmmcannibalism wrote:

Target practice.
We're in the traffic-chopper over the XKCD boards where there's been a thread-derailment. A Liquified Godwin spill has evacuated threads in a fourty-post radius of the accident, Lolcats and TVTropes have broken free of their containers. It is believed that the Point has perished.

mmmcannibalism

Postby mmmcannibalism » Fri Mar 12, 2010 11:31 pm UTC

Dauric wrote:
mmmcannibalism wrote:

Target practice.

Amusingly, my government teacher's lesson plan on political cartoons has a cartoon where obama is dressed as a soldier using the medal as a clay pigeon(forget how but it also referenced afghanistan explicitely to satirize the scalation while winning a prize.)
Izawwlgood wrote:I for one would happily live on an island as a fuzzy seal-human.

Oregonaut wrote:Damn fetuses and their terroist plots.

TheKrikkitWars

Postby TheKrikkitWars » Fri Mar 12, 2010 11:55 pm UTC

Omegaton wrote:Is the internet an organization, or run by a single organization? I mean, the Internet is great, but it doesn't really belong to anyone specifically.

Robstickle wrote:It is unclear who would accept the prize if the internet were to win.

Al Gore! Al Gore!

I'm dissapointed in you guys, surely the geekery round here stretches far enough that it's obvious that the IETF (the people who handle RFC's; maintaining and developing the standards that shape the net) are the most worth candidate for that.
Great things are done when Men & Mountains meet,
This is not Done by Jostling in the Street.

Diadem

Postby Diadem » Sat Mar 13, 2010 12:16 am UTC

Wouldn't it make more sense to award the prize to pivotal figures in the development of the internet then? Like Tim Berners-Lee?

Or award it to wikipedia.
It's one of those irregular verbs, isn't it? I have an independent mind, you are an eccentric, he is round the twist
- Bernard Woolley in Yes, Prime Minister

phillipsjk

Postby phillipsjk » Sat Mar 13, 2010 2:00 am UTC

If the nominators wanted to nominate a specific person, why wouldn't they do so?
Did you get the number on that truck?

Robstickle

Postby Robstickle » Sat Mar 13, 2010 2:02 am UTC

Obviously it should be Moot!

nowfocus

Postby nowfocus » Sat Mar 13, 2010 2:04 am UTC

Article wrote:The internet's nomination has been championed by the Italian version of Wired magazine for helping advance "dialogue, debate and consensus".

Ah yes, I've seen much consensus on the internet in my time.
Jahoclave wrote:Besides if you observe romance, you change the outcome. Especially if you put his/her friend Catherine in a box.

Menacing Spike wrote:Was it the copper hammer or the children part that caused censoring?

psychosomaticism

Postby psychosomaticism » Sat Mar 13, 2010 2:56 am UTC

nowfocus wrote:
Article wrote:The internet's nomination has been championed by the Italian version of Wired magazine for helping advance "dialogue, debate and consensus".

Ah yes, I've seen much consensus on the internet in my time.

Eh, at least it's a means to get consensus. The internet is a means with which the common people can gather and discuss things, as opposed to having the government act as liaison for cultures, or paper modes of notification between locals, etc. It's information, but it's also a place to have a debate without feeling like you're being ignored (although for a lot of the time you are; it's more that there's actually the chance that there'll be people to read what you have to say). I semi-agree to this nomination, though I doubt it'll do much, as the internet is doing pretty well on its own, and doesn't really need any more recognition. Couldn't hurt, I guess.

LuNatic

Postby LuNatic » Sat Mar 13, 2010 4:09 am UTC

Robstickle wrote:Obviously it should be Moot!

Yeah, something to do with 4chan would fit right in with Kissinger and Arafat. How about Pedobear?
Cynical Idealist wrote:
Velict wrote:Good Jehova, there are cheesegraters on the blagotube!

This is, for some reason, one of the funniest things I've read today.

Lazar
Landed Gentry

Postby Lazar » Sat Mar 13, 2010 4:23 am UTC

This reminds me of the time that Time Magazine's Person of the Year was "You". Gagh.
Exit the vampires' castle.

The Reaper

Postby The Reaper » Sat Mar 13, 2010 5:50 am UTC

Its still a better person/thing than a certain president that recently won it. At least it has done SOMETHING for the world. Also, ARPA likes medals. :3

mercutio_stencil

Postby mercutio_stencil » Tue Mar 16, 2010 5:45 pm UTC

LuNatic wrote:

Yeah, something to do with 4chan would fit right in with Kissinger and Arafat. How about Pedobear?

Maybe Goatse, after all, how can there be strife and conflict when everyone is staring at...that...thing...

Endless Mike

Postby Endless Mike » Tue Mar 16, 2010 6:14 pm UTC

Yes, when I think of peace, I think of the place where I can be called a "niggerfaggot" by 12 year olds playing M-rated video games.

Sizik

Postby Sizik » Tue Mar 16, 2010 8:13 pm UTC

Diadem wrote:Wouldn't it make more sense to award the prize to pivotal figures in the development of the internet then? Like Tim Berners-Lee?

Or award it to wikipedia.

The Internet ≠ the Web. The prize should go to Vint Cerf and Bob Kahn.
she/they
gmalivuk wrote:
King Author wrote:If space (rather, distance) is an illusion, it'd be possible for one meta-me to experience both body's sensory inputs.
Yes. And if wishes were horses, wishing wells would fill up very quickly with drowned horses.

Dibley

Postby Dibley » Tue Mar 16, 2010 8:40 pm UTC

Have you all forgotten that nominations mean essentially nothing? Hitler, Stalin, and Mussolini have all been nominated.

Here's wikipedia's list of people who can nominate someone (or, apparently, something):
* Members of national assemblies and governments and members of the Inter-Parliamentary Union,
* Members of the Permanent Court of Arbitration and the International Court of Justice at the Hague,
* Members of Institut de Droit International,
* University professors of history, political science, philosophy, law and theology, university presidents and directors of peace research and international affairs institutes,
* Former recipients, including board members of organisations that have previously won the prize,
* Present and past members of the Norwegian Nobel Committee, and
* Former permanent advisers to the Norwegian Nobel Institute.

Professors of Theology? Seriously? Anyways, the internet was nominated by a former winner (the $100 laptop guy).

Mother Superior
Better than tea

Postby Mother Superior » Wed Mar 17, 2010 12:47 pm UTC

Dibley wrote:Have you all forgotten that nominations mean essentially nothing? Hitler, Stalin, and Mussolini have all been nominated.

Have you all forgotten that the Nobel Peace Prize in itself means essentially nothing? It's given out by Norway for goodness' sake.
My crappy creepy? Crabby? My crabby blog.
"She bore also the fruitless deep with his raging swell, Pontus, without sweet union of love."
- Hesiod, Theogony

the_bandersnatch
Actually not so frumious.
Location: on a bed in a room inside a TV in a hotel room in a hotel on a Monopoly board

Postby the_bandersnatch » Wed Mar 17, 2010 2:01 pm UTC

Mother Superior wrote:Have you all forgotten that the Nobel Peace Prize in itself means essentially nothing? It's given out by Norway for goodness' sake.

What you got against Norway?

Anyway, most things humans kid themselves are real are meaningless in a true sense anyway, the stock market for example.
In girum imus nocte, et consumimur igni

Mother Superior
Better than tea

Postby Mother Superior » Wed Mar 17, 2010 2:11 pm UTC

the_bandersnatch wrote:
Mother Superior wrote:Have you all forgotten that the Nobel Peace Prize in itself means essentially nothing? It's given out by Norway for goodness' sake.

What you got against Norway?

I'm a Swede. It's in me blood.
My crappy creepy? Crabby? My crabby blog.
"She bore also the fruitless deep with his raging swell, Pontus, without sweet union of love."
- Hesiod, Theogony

'; DROP DATABASE;--

Re: blagotube in the running for Nobel Peace Prize.

Postby '; DROP DATABASE;-- » Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:50 am UTC

I like the idea of any prize money being donated to Wikipedia and/or upgrading the infrastructure itself worldwide. If, of course, it were to win anything.

The Internet has indeed revolutionized communication though. It's one of the more awesome outcomes of someone going "hmm, what would happen if we plugged them all into eachother?" :D

I think I'll have it bronzed.
poxic wrote:You suck. And simultaneously rock. I think you've invented a new state of being.

wst

Postby wst » Wed Mar 24, 2010 8:47 am UTC

Yeah, the guy who's just declared war on another website because of spammers.

Real peaceful. (But justified, I guess)
Anything I said pre-2014 that you want to quote me on, just run it past me to check I still agree with myself.

Dthen
Still hasn't told us what comes after D

Postby Dthen » Wed Mar 24, 2010 9:45 am UTC

Because we all know Nobel himself never did anything bad at all. :roll:
Dthen wrote:I AM NOT A CAT.

smw543

Postby smw543 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 2:30 pm UTC

Dthen wrote:Because we all know Nobel himself never did anything bad at all. :roll:
...the guilt from which caused him to create the Nobel Prize. What's your point?

I think the idea to nominate the internet was a waste of a vote, considering it isn't actually eligible. Same if he had the sense to specifically choose a group that helped develop the internet—should an inventor who improves the printing process win a Nobel Prize for Literature just because they enabled a lot of good books (especially keeping in mind that they also enabled an equal if not greater number of bad ones)?

However, I do like the idea of giving it to Wikipedia, both because it has made a huge positive impact, and, more importantly, because it might finally stop those stupid jokes by so-called comedians ("Did you know [obviously false information]? I know it's true because I saw it on Wikipedia! HAR HAR HAR!)
Spoiler:
LE4dGOLEM wrote:Now you know the difference between funny and sad.
Ubik wrote:But I'm too fond of the penis to let it go.
gmalivuk wrote:If you didn't want people to 'mis'understand you, then you probably should have tried saying something less stupid.

wst

Postby wst » Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:41 pm UTC

He didn't use dynamite for killing people. It's a legit mining tool anyway, and has helped humanity a lot. So what that other people used it to kill people? Not his fault >_>
Anything I said pre-2014 that you want to quote me on, just run it past me to check I still agree with myself.

Diadem

Postby Diadem » Wed Mar 24, 2010 5:23 pm UTC

Not his fault, I agree.

Didn't stop him from feeling bad about it. People are like that.
It's one of those irregular verbs, isn't it? I have an independent mind, you are an eccentric, he is round the twist
- Bernard Woolley in Yes, Prime Minister

Josephine

Postby Josephine » Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:41 pm UTC

You could replace nobel with Einstein in almost all of those situations...
Belial wrote:Listen, what I'm saying is that he committed a felony with a zoo animal.

smw543

Postby smw543 » Thu Mar 25, 2010 9:26 am UTC

wst wrote:He didn't use dynamite for killing people. It's a legit mining tool anyway, and has helped humanity a lot. So what that other people used it to kill people? Not his fault >_>

Well, he also owned a major arms manufacturer (IIRC, the company mostly made artillery... which is somewhat less useful for mining). Still irrelevant, though.
Spoiler:
LE4dGOLEM wrote:Now you know the difference between funny and sad.
Ubik wrote:But I'm too fond of the penis to let it go.
gmalivuk wrote:If you didn't want people to 'mis'understand you, then you probably should have tried saying something less stupid.

Zamfir
I built a novelty castle, the irony was lost on some.

Postby Zamfir » Thu Mar 25, 2010 1:01 pm UTC

wst wrote:He didn't use dynamite for killing people. It's a legit mining tool anyway, and has helped humanity a lot. So what that other people used it to kill people? Not his fault >_>

He ownded Bofors, which used to be a steel foundry, but he turned it into one of the largest artillery factories in the world. I think the money he used to buy Bofors came mostly from mining uses of gelignite, but by the time he dies his fortune was very much based on arms manufacturing.

Return to “News & Articles”